S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old November 9th, 2017, 04:58 AM   #1
Dekindy

Default Warmup takes so long

I am improving all the time and trying new skills constantly.

I end every session feeling good about my skating.

Every session I expect to step on the rink and have a much higher feeling of initial comfort and confidence. Yet every session I start out tentatively and leaning forward like I did when I first started skating and feeling almost like I am just starting. Once I go through my drills I gradually start feeling more confidence and less reliant on two skates. But after a year I would have expected this aspect of my skating to have improved more.

My instructor tells me that even though he has skated for decades, starting as a youngster, it still takes him time to get "warmed up" and not to worry about it.

I could work on a lot more things before I get tired if it did not take so long to get my skating legs back!

Is there anything that I can do to get more comfortable on my skates much earlier in each session so that I can spend more time practicing harder skills and learning new skills? What is a reasonable warmup time?

I have been skating on the average 3 times a week for a year and taking lots of lessons under the watchful eye of a very good teacher.
Dekindy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 11:12 AM   #2
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekindy View Post
I am improving all the time and trying new skills constantly.

I end every session feeling good about my skating.

Every session I expect to step on the rink and have a much higher feeling of initial comfort and confidence. Yet every session I start out tentatively and leaning forward like I did when I first started skating and feeling almost like I am just starting. Once I go through my drills I gradually start feeling more confidence and less reliant on two skates. But after a year I would have expected this aspect of my skating to have improved more.

My instructor tells me that even though he has skated for decades, starting as a youngster, it still takes him time to get "warmed up" and not to worry about it.

I could work on a lot more things before I get tired if it did not take so long to get my skating legs back!

Is there anything that I can do to get more comfortable on my skates much earlier in each session so that I can spend more time practicing harder skills and learning new skills? What is a reasonable warmup time?

I have been skating on the average 3 times a week for a year and taking lots of lessons under the watchful eye of a very good teacher.
I think that is normal, it does eventually go away though.
Is it possible to do longer sessions? Say three to 5 hours?
Old November 9th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #3
ursle
Street Skater

Think about a trigger point roller, before skating, roll your lower back and hips and the side of your upper legs (IT bands) and then kneel on the sucker and roll your shins, now the muscles are loose and ready to go.

They carry the trigger point rollers at Eastern Mt Sports, and you can get them online, the trigger point comes in a longer version and a short version, I prefer the long version, you can roll your backbone and raise an arm and do the ribs on the sides, makes them very flexible.

So instead of showing up to skate and having to spend twenty minutes loosening up muscles, the muscles are loose and you can just work on muscle memory.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 12:17 AM   #4
fierocious1

Default depends on the person

I see guys all the time come onto the floor cold and go for it. I never could, it takes me about and hour to get fully ready to crank it up. I can skate fine almost right away but my feet either push too hard one way or another or don't react fast enough. Then the warm up stresses my ankles, trying to get back into it too fast anyway.... Pushing too hard. But a few breaks in the first hour and the fully warmed up. Start making time and carving through the crowd. Usually we have a group that meet and skate on Sunday afternoons. When the crowd dies down, we crank up the speed. All my buds that cruise the rink at speed are on inlines. The quad guys are way slower. Usually most of the group skates about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I usually skate 3-4 hour sessions.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 08:27 AM   #5
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

What's your warm up routine? Don't ever worry about needing time to warm up. It's how you will develop muscle memory, balance, coordination, confidence. It's how you'll get your skating legs on. Just keep doing it.

Don't overthink it. Just keep doing it.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote