S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old April 7th, 2017, 02:38 PM   #1
whiskey02

Default Cold & flu time off

I've had (twice) the cold/flu that has been widespread across the US this season and haven't exercised in almost six weeks. Yes, that bad, six weeks. I was developing a decent base of fitness and endurance prior to getting knocked off. How would you suggest getting back in the groove? I'm still coughing up phlem and my sinuses are clogged enough that my hearing is effected, but at least the muscle aches are gone. I don't want to put myself back in bed but I don't want to pussy foot around and waste training time.
whiskey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #2
Dekindy

A lot of the time all it takes is some exercise to elevate your body temperature and heavy breathing to clear out the nasal passages. Take it very easy as 6 weeks will have reduced your capacity very significantly. Your body will give you clear signals regarding your fitness so listen and react appropriately to what your body is telling you. As an example, I was sick recently. Mowing the grass I had to rest 6 times on a cool day when I can normally mow nonstop. 3 days later I was able to mow nonstop, mainly because it was misting rain on and off and I desperately wanted to get the lawn mowed, but it did not drain me too much. Did not feel it was worth the drive to skate. Feel like trying it today but expect to rest frequently.
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 01:55 PM   #3
whiskey02

Thanks. I'm gonna go ahead and drive out to the trail, thinking I'll try skating 10 minutes then stop and rest for 5 whether I "need" to or not. Hoping to do several repeats so I can get maybe 40 - 50 minutes of light work done.
Old April 9th, 2017, 10:21 PM   #4
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey02 View Post
...I don't want to put myself back in bed but I don't want to pussy foot around and waste training time.
How did it go?

My take is this: A human body wants to be in motion. Take a healthy person, make them lay in bed for a week or two, and they will get sick.

This being said...take it slow and see how you feel when returning after illness. If you are healthy, you will feel better. If your body is not ready to go, you will feel bad. As for respiratory and sinus issues (not including dust-type allergies and air pollution) it is VERY important to get back to action ASAP to clear things out and increase healing circulation to all body parts.

6 weeks down is Hell. Glad you are getting back, hopefully.
Old April 11th, 2017, 01:11 PM   #5
whiskey02

I did 10 minutes ON followed by 4 minutes rest; the plan was to do 5 reps. I ended up doing 6 or 7 reps. 5 would have been plenty- wish I had only done 5. Skating was about what I thought it would be, maybe a little better. After the workout, I was much more tired than normal, that's when I really felt I was still sick. You know when you're hungry but don't have the energy to cook dinner? I will clean the mucus off my skates and go again today and stop after 5 repeats.

I was sick for more than 3 weeks, over the worst of it, then I got on a plane and picked up another bug and went through pretty much the exact same thing again. At least the second time round I had my mom making pecan pie for me so it wasn't all bad!
Old May 7th, 2017, 04:54 PM   #6
shesk8

Whiskey... I had suffered thru 2 long, drawn out cold virus' that hit me late last fall and then again during winter. Usually, I am one to shake off a cold. As I came to learn during January, I was contending with another issue: hyperparathyroidism, this disease effects vit D levels. Low vit D basically can knock out your body's immune defenses.

If you are getting viruses that are dragging on, and don't clear up, have your docs, at very least check vit D levels.

And, yes thru all those weeks of viral nasty I'd still go skate, ski, ride the bike, when I felt good enough to get out.

here's to good health!
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote