S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old February 1st, 2019, 01:51 PM   #1
Ltartis

Default Build your own or buy skates?

Hi everyone, I am in the middle of a buying decision. I have been recreational skating off and on for over 20 years. I recently have taken my skating a lot more seriously, and purchased a beginner pair of Sure Grip skates. (Not leather uppers) Sz 11.

I had an opportunity to purchase a pair of AntiK MG2's Size 12, but soon found that the boot was too big so I took off the plates off the Antiks and put them on my Sure Grips boot. I have a functional pair of skates, but but I really would like a leather boot. Size 11.

I have been reviewing the sites and found that I really like the Ridell's 120's Juice skates.

Should I disregard the my old Antik plates and varsity wheels and just buy the boot or should I just buy the new pair of skates?

Pricing remains about the same... What would you do? I only indoor skate..
Ltartis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2019, 08:09 PM   #2
kufman

I like to tinker around with skate setups so I would buy the boots and mount the plates myself. Just my opinion
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2019, 09:19 PM   #3
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

you could pay the 16 year kid at the rink to mess up your mounting.
But I would Not. do it yourself correctly.
Old February 2nd, 2019, 02:26 AM   #4
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Put the Antiks back together and sell them.

If your foot did well with the beginner Sure Grips, you foot will probably get along with the Rebel boot. Hard leather, but well padded.

Then decide on a plate. Two ends of the spectrum: Avenger. A lot of turning ability. Or, the Avanti. 10 degree metal plate. More in line with what you are used to. Both good reasonably priced quad plates. Also consider getting a plate a size or two smaller than normal. Most normally sized plates are sized to give extra stability to a beginning skater. As a more experienced skater, you will PROBABLY appreciate a bit quicker, more sporty feel of a smaller plate.

And one last thing: Get a GOOD mount. A few folks here do it and do it well. Happy hunting.
Old February 4th, 2019, 06:39 AM   #5
Oicusk82huh

Yo! Go for the Juice! It was such an absolutely incredible skate. No break-in time, super comfy, plates already mounted and perfect, no stupid toe stopper (just a jam plug). Such a good skate, good quality. They come with a varsity wheel. Wheels are always the easiest thing to replace. I liked my Varsity Plus on the Juice. Not too soft, not too hard, fairly durable, nice width, can do all sorts of tricks.

What type of skating do you like to do?
Sell your old skates on EBAY.

One more piece of advice. When I wanted to know what size to get of the Riedell Juice, I just skated in some rentals at the rink. Those old brown suede rentals are the same size as the juice. I mean size/standard. I was skating on a size 7 mens rental, but bought a size 8 Juice. I had to return them and get the Juice size 7. So the size of the Juice matches closely with the rental skates.

Let us know what happens.
Good Luck
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2019, 10:24 PM   #6
Ltartis

Default Build your own or buy skates?

Thanks to everyone for the advice. It's much appreciated.

Thanks

Tags
build roller skates quads, purchase, trade