S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old February 14th, 2019, 12:19 AM   #1881
ursle
Street Skater

Welcome, great introduction.

Honestly, if you want to go fast, get on a bicycle, the chances of "gomering" (going to ground) going downhill are 100%, quads are about relaxation, enjoyment, fresh air, speed on inlines is nice, downhill is asking for skin lost.

But...try getting a longboard skateboard, padding up and doing downhill on a skateboard is feasible.

And competitive.

Err, wrong section?
Old February 27th, 2019, 09:51 PM   #1882
nickajshelden
Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Welcome, great introduction.

Honestly, if you want to go fast, get on a bicycle, the chances of "gomering" (going to ground) going downhill are 100%, quads are about relaxation, enjoyment, fresh air, speed on inlines is nice, downhill is asking for skin lost.

But...try getting a long board skateboard, padding up and doing downhill on a skateboard is feasible.
a skillful long board operator (not me) can slide the long board to slow down, which at VERY fast speeds is better than what I can do on inlines. That said, I have found inlines to have better cornering radii and speeds than long boards downhill and have never had a serious incident on a hill (just a few spills on lower hills). I attended a college on the top of a mountain and would routinely do the 10 mile descent into town. loads of fun. But yes, I always wore my hockey gear. I'd be doing about 50 mph most of the time.
with enough practice anything will go down a hill. 8 low profile wheels will corner with more grip than 4, so I'd chose the inlines any day for going fast.
now, there is the commuter side of me too. Quads rule downhill. just a slight s-curve is enough on quads to control one's speed downhill on quads. I have bombed all over SF in quads and inlines and found the quads to do better. In Tacoma, where I live, the road surface is not friendly to quads, so inlines it has to be (most places). I just go down on one foot and drag the other and switch back and forth.
Sorry for the long reply, just seemed right up my alley
Old February 27th, 2019, 10:01 PM   #1883
nickajshelden
Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
But learning to go backwards.
3) Eventually you will get to the point where you actually push with the outside of the foot, but that is a advanced move.
Larry O
4) cross over. Few people even bother with this, but I like to be the fastest guy on the rink, forwards or backwards. The danger here is snagging one foot on the other...very few faster ways to end up on the floor, so do it slow in a tight circle and keep an eye on your feet. the closer together they are, the better/stronger/smoother it will be, but don't let them touch. My biggest tip for crossing backwards is moonwalk. I'm not kidding. practice the moonwalk in a straight line on skates, and then just do it backwards. Maybe I'll post a video soon of doing that. maybe
Old March 2nd, 2019, 11:33 AM   #1884
Dazzler

I'm Dazzler, age 40. I first started skating when I was 6 on the type of squad skates that you strap on over your shoes. Then later proper boot skates. Mainly street skating as there was no local rink. I think I was 14 when I switched to inline skates in the early 90s and have skated on inlines on and off since then, mainly for short commutes with, with occasional ice-skating at Christmas rinks. I took my 6 year old to the local roller rink toward the end of last year and put on quad skates for the first time in over 25 years. And have been bitten by the skating bug big time ever since.

My skills are weirdly inconsistent. I can skate well but for the first two visits I was literally stopping by spinning around and slowing as I couldn't remember how to use the toe stop. I absolutely could not skate backwards, like honestly couldn't move when I tried. But I can spin and do a decent parallel arabesque, on a straight or around a corner. I feel a bit silly as my quad skating is missing several steps and I know I need to get those basics down first.

I got my old inlines out to practice at home and could skate backwards without bother. Braking with a backstop or plough stop is instinctual. I'm a better inline skater as I never lost the basics. While inline and quad skating aren't massively different, there are subtle differences and I'm having to work at adjusting between the two. (I had a pretty bad fall recently on my quads as I leaned forward in a way that's fine on inlines but made my front wheels stop on quads, thankfully I'd invested in a decent set of pads the day before). But I'm also really, really enjoying both kinds of skating and the practice of skating backwards in my inlines helped a lot the next time I tried going backwards in quads.

I use quads at the rink (inlines aren't allowed there) and inlines outdoors. I've started out with a pair of Rookies for the rink and bought K2 Kinetic 80s for outdoors after the wheels on my ancient inlines literally fell apart when I took them for a longer skate outdoors. I enjoy different aspects of both kinds of skating and I've also started to (secretly) go to the rink without my 6 year old one night a week. It's easier and safer to work on improving my own skating when I don't have a little learner skater to look out for. My mother has also started coming with me/us and is the only one of the three of us to not have a fall yet.

I don't think I want to try derby. I'd love to give it ago if I was 20 years younger but don't think that level of contact sport is for me at this age. I'm recovering from falls better than I thought I would, so I'm not as aged as I tend to fear I am, but even still I don't think it would be a realistic sport for me. I'm more interested in the more artistic aspects of rink skating and I enjoy the speed (and right turns ) of inline skating. In all seriousness, getting to straight skate for long intervals and turn in both directions outdoors has improved the strength in my left leg, which is both naturally weaker and weakened by the constant left turns at the rink. My crossovers at the rink are improving (little by little) because it.
Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 02:22 PM   #1885
DesertWillow

Hi! I'm Steph from New Mexico, and I've been a skating addict for, oh, 20 years or so. I've always preferred quads but I did do my time on inline skates in the early 90s. My teenager is also into skating so we try to hit up our local (poorly run and small) rink at least once a week. I dream of the day when we live near a good rink again (we were up near Tacoma, WA, and we had Skate Tiffany's there, and boy do we miss it).

I've always worn speed skates (remember when Riedells were Carreras? I do lol) but I'd like to get a pair of jam skates and a pair of artistic/roller rink skates as I love dancing and would like more agility when I'm skating.

Super happy to have found this forum!
DesertWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 10:01 AM   #1886
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertWillow View Post
Hi! I'm Steph from New Mexico, and I've been a skating addict for, oh, 20 years or so. I've always preferred quads but I did do my time on inline skates in the early 90s. My teenager is also into skating so we try to hit up our local (poorly run and small) rink at least once a week. I dream of the day when we live near a good rink again (we were up near Tacoma, WA, and we had Skate Tiffany's there, and boy do we miss it).

I've always worn speed skates (remember when Riedells were Carreras? I do lol) but I'd like to get a pair of jam skates and a pair of artistic/roller rink skates as I love dancing and would like more agility when I'm skating.

Super happy to have found this forum!
welcome to the boards, enjoy them and hope they can help u at times
Old March 22nd, 2019, 04:39 AM   #1887
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
I'm Dazzler
Welcome aboard! Hope you liven this place up a bit. I believe facebook has diminished this message board terribly.

Quote:
I don't think I want to try derby.
Yeah, derby does seem counterproductive to a long skating career. IMO. Someone will hate me for this assertion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertWillow View Post
Hi! I'm Steph from New Mexico...Super happy to have found this forum!
Welcome DW! Looking forward to seeing you around the place. I also speak MAC and Windows (quads and inlines). There are a couple of us here. I went back to quads because our streets are often damp (New Orleans) from fog, rain, or street cleaners and my inline skates were so treacherous on wet surfaces. My quads grip like glue. Then I just kinda got stuck loving the quads again with a $500 pair of inline skates hanging forsaken on my toy rack. BTW...I can switch from quads to inline skates and back no problems. Takes about five minutes to make the change mentally.

Cheers!
Old April 10th, 2019, 01:18 AM   #1888
TheTree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Sk8er View Post
I bought my first pair of roller skates in 1984. I used to skate all the time on the esplanade in Boston ( where I'm originally from ). Moved out to CA in 93 and brought my skates with me. I would skate around the neighborhood. I got an iPod for Christmas '04. Since that time I have been dancing on the basketball court at the local sports park.

Having the time of my life.
I am from massachusettes too, and i was born in 1984.. love to skate also been doing it since i can remember first pair were fisher price skates to buckled to my sneaker in 1987
TheTree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2019, 07:23 AM   #1889
Tarninou

Default Hi everyone

Hi everybody.

I'm Tarninou, old beginner at roller quads. I've done some when I was 12, but then my feet grew up and my parents weren't in the mood for buying a new pair of quad every 6 months so...

25 years later I stabilised that foot issue and here I am !

I'm from France (so please excuse my English) and for know I essentially learn the basics in a club and in a lost parking in my neighbourhood. Ideally, i'd like to skate a little bit in every situation: being able to follow a group in a hill, to curve in a bowl, to pass more than two cones in slalom, to move my old body on good music with my quads on without being to ridiculous... Long way to go, last week I jumped over a 40cm stuff and feel like I won a medal at the olympics game...

I probably won't be the more active member but I got a few questions and there are very few quadders left in France.

Thanks for welcomming me here, see you.
Tarninou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 10:01 AM   #1890
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarninou View Post
Hi everybody.

I'm Tarninou, old beginner at roller quads. I've done some when I was 12, but then my feet grew up and my parents weren't in the mood for buying a new pair of quad every 6 months so...

25 years later I stabilised that foot issue and here I am !

I'm from France (so please excuse my English) and for know I essentially learn the basics in a club and in a lost parking in my neighbourhood. Ideally, i'd like to skate a little bit in every situation: being able to follow a group in a hill, to curve in a bowl, to pass more than two cones in slalom, to move my old body on good music with my quads on without being to ridiculous... Long way to go, last week I jumped over a 40cm stuff and feel like I won a medal at the olympics game...

I probably won't be the more active member but I got a few questions and there are very few quadders left in France.

Thanks for welcomming me here, see you.
very nice, welcome to the boards and enjoy
Old May 17th, 2019, 02:06 AM   #1891
isntit0bvie

Cool Introduction

Hi Iím Lisa, I live in the northeast USA and Iím here because I love skates and skating! Iím 36 and I have a boyfriend that skates and all 5 of our kids do as well. I have a lot of skates but I just got a riedell 297 so Iíve been wearing them the most lately.
isntit0bvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2019, 02:21 AM   #1892
llamont

Hi all,

llamont here... Like many folks I was around skating as a kid. Nothing competitive or organized just sheer recreation and social fun. I skated sporadically and even worked at a local rink as a DJ/floorgaurd in college. After graduation I skated once in 15 years (back in 2009). Fast forward to February 2019, a good friend and I decided to hit up adult night at a DMV area rink to see what was going on. It was awesome. We both bought skates a week or so after and we’ve been at it ever since. I say we’re both solid beginnermediates (comfortable skating in both directions but still have a lot to learn). We like rhythm/dance skating. I have a pair of Riedell Juice (120 boots/Reactor Neo plates/Powell Bones Elite 62mm/Bones Red Ceramic bearings).

llamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 10:31 AM   #1893
rwsz

Hi Lisa and Llamont,,,,welcome to the boards and I hope you enjoy them along with skating
Old July 18th, 2019, 07:38 AM   #1894
Hippy66

Default Hi folks

I'm Colin, 53, from Glasgow. Used to ice skate, and my wife convinced me that inline skating was good to do alongside ice skating.
Started going to a couple of weekly indoor sessions, and have only skated outdoors a couple of times.

I still class myself as a beginner as I haven't tried half the things I could do on ice, so basic skating forwards, backwards, t-stop, and not much more.

Currently wanting to get out and skate more (weather permitting), and looking to upgrade from the SFR skates that I currently have.
Old July 18th, 2019, 10:10 AM   #1895
rwsz

welcome to the forum Hipp66,,,enjoy and have fun
Old August 1st, 2019, 05:58 PM   #1896
Tony M

Hi , I am Tony from southern eastern B.C. and just joined this forum. I skate in inline hockey skates on rural asphalt roads. I skate for fitness and to keep my balance sharp- former hockey player.
I am 61 now, and do everything I can to stay fit, that happens to be outside.
Thinking about going to 3 wheel / 110 mm skates. Cheers
Tony M is offline   Reply With Quote