S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old July 24th, 2014, 03:11 AM   #1
The Skating Skier

Default Best knee/elbow pads Demon vs Atom vs Deadbolt

No one knows protective gear better than you all in Roller Derby. Is there a consensus for the best knee/elbow pads: Demon Skate Knee/Elbow X d30, Atom Elite 2.0 Knee/Elbow or Deadbolt Jammer Elite (knee)?

The pads need to be: low profile, not bulky, have good articulation, be very comfortable (I want to forget they are on and not have to constantly adjust the pads...they need to stay put), and have good protection if a fall occurs during long distance fitness skating on an asphalt surface.

Thanks for the info.
The Skating Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2014, 04:09 AM   #2
Kiepur_Inlein
'cause B!tch£s misbehave!

You're from Mass... (I'm from Maine, so know I'm not joking) Do you have a set of hockey elbows? There is no comparison between a good hockey elbow-pad and a great skater elbow pad, with regard to ergonomics and protection. It's hockey elbows hands down. They stay put better also. Just the other day we had one of our roller-derby guys crack a rib on his skid plate when landing on his side. The "cool kids" are only just starting to figure-out that hockey pads and helmets have it all over the stuff that's been commonplace in street skating for years, so -in a lot of circles- they're fashion suicide. If you HAVE to use a skate pad, maybe Atoms are a better choice...don't they have a model with the high-impact plastic on the inside of the foam (more like a hockey elbow)? Personally, if I was forced to wear skater-type pads, I'd probably go with Smith, and hope I didn't have any real velocity involved when I did come down on my elbows. As for knees...again if you had to go with a skater pad, the Smith system sounds more like what you're looking for (in my humble opinion). I know this probably isn't the answer you were looking for. If not,
give this a few hours and you'll have something you can work with.

Last edited by Kiepur_Inlein; July 24th, 2014 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Just 'cause...
Kiepur_Inlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2014, 03:52 AM   #3
The Skating Skier

Thanks for the info Kiepur. I will check out hockey elbow pads as well as the Smiths and Atom knee pads. I am presently using G-Form's new Pro X knee pads, which offer good comfort, good coverage and good putty depth. Great for really warm weather days. I would still like to try another pair of knee pads with a plastic caps that will slide in case I ever fall on my knees (and not a linear fall forward).
Old July 25th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Kiepur_Inlein

Yeah...as far as the Atoms (fabric/foam covered) I was talking for a possible elbow alternative which may be more "rib-safe". You definitely want plastic caps on your knees for exactly the reason you said. Good luck!
Old July 26th, 2014, 01:05 AM   #5
Terror Australis
Happy Little Vegemite

I wouldn't recommend Atom elite elbow pads. After 4 years using some run of the mill elbow pads (so old I don't even remember/know what brand) I bought the Atom elites and first fall onto an elbow ended up with a massive bruise on the elbow. It was like I was was wearing no protection at all. I went straight back to my old ones as I never sustained an injury wearing them. Now I feel like I can't even resell the Atoms as I'd hate to pass on equipment that does not protect.

https://www.facebook.com/DollsOfHazzard?ref=ts&fref=ts
Terror Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 02:31 AM   #6
Kiepur_Inlein

Yeah, Terror... That's why I was using qualifiers like "might" and "maybe". Most skater pads really are scant when it comes to protection from serious falls. I've never tried the Atoms. I just know that a skid plate in the ribs can really mess up your day.
Old July 26th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #7
The Skating Skier

I will check out hockey elbow pads, but if they do not work out (and in light of the above) maybe the Demons are the answer.

http://www.demonsnow.com/store/Demon...lbow%20X%20D3O

I am still up in the air about the knee pads. Smith vs Atom vs Demon.
Old July 26th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #8
Kiepur_Inlein

Hey, Skier:

When I was originally looking at skate pads, the Smith System of knee pads (pad with gaskets, purchased separately, which become the stability-layer underneath) really appealed to me because of the the design toward keeping the pads in place. I've never tried them, but our team coach (who was coming out of a 187 which looks like it was designed pretty-much exactly like the Demon x30) raves about the Smith set-up. Here's a link to check out:
http://www.allsportprotection.com/mo...ry.aspx?id=122
I'll tell you though, if you ask a dozen derby skaters from independent derby teams about their pads, you're going to get about as many different answers. This may be why it's taken a while for more than a couple of us here to get back to you...nobody feels like arguing (surprisingly) about pads. Good luck, man.
Old July 26th, 2014, 12:24 PM   #9
Kiepur_Inlein

Oh yeah...When you do look at hockey elbows, look at the higher-end Reebok (who bought-out Jofa out of Sweden and CCM). They still use the Joint Discharge Principle (JDP) technology which was introduced to the hockey world by Jofa. 9 out of 10 of the pros will only wear this pad. I found out why when -in college, years ago- a big defenseman sent me up in the air, over his shoulder. I "stuck" the landing (of the flip he helped me with) on my elbow. All of that force on the Bauer elbow pad (I was wearing at the time) still allowed for my bone to have a pretty good-sized chip knocked off from it. I've been using Jofa (now Reebok) ever since.

Last edited by Kiepur_Inlein; July 26th, 2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Kiepur_Inlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #10
The Skating Skier

There is a massive Hockey outlet near me. I'm sure they sell the Reeboks. Do you think they will get uncomfortably warm for outdoor skating in 80+ degree weather? Thanks for the link.
Old July 26th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #11
Kiepur_Inlein

Hey, Skier:
You're gonna sweat in anything you wear. They do as good a job as any pads when it comes to wicking moisture and using materials that breathe. Hockey players never really get cold...at least the level of skater (any fairly aggressive skater) who would need that pad, doesn't. So, when hockey pad manufacturers design, they never look at warmth. Their pursuit instead is maximizing protection while trying to make things breath easier. Actually, that's kinda true with most pad Mfg's. That said, no one spends more on research and development (when it comes to pads for contact sports) than the hockey industry. I hope this helps...
Old July 26th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #12
The Skating Skier

Yes Kiepur, that helps, thanks. I did try on the Reebok's today. Very serious pads. I can see why they are great for Derby. They may be a bit overkill for my application. Protection they offer is off the chart, but they are a bit bulky for fitness inline skating. I simulated the arm movements of fitness skating in the store and I think they bind up a when my arms are extended in the sweeping arm swings I do. I am going to think about those for a bit.
Old July 27th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #13
PappaWheelie

I have a few different styles of pads.. Triple 8, ProTec, 187s, etc.

Personally, I like the ProTec because they are a low profile. They are easy on and easy off.. not too expensive.

I don’t like the ones where the pads and the covers come off… seems like a great idea but after a few washes the material wear and tear makes them not fit as well.

I used to like the Destroyers because they were brilliant for quick on/off-- but the straps rip after 6-9 months.
PappaWheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 01:16 PM   #14
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Atom pads aren't really suited for derby. The padding is thin and the hard shells are not hard at all, more like a stiff rubber.

If you are looking for pads for rec skating, the Atom's might work. They would protect you from abrasions and some very light impact. Also, Atom pads tend to suffer from durability issues. Some of them fall apart for no real reason other than they were cheaply made. If you dont mind sewing them back together, not a big deal.

Traditionally, Atom has not stood behind their protective products. As a result, the retailer selling them gets stuck fixing the problems. As a result, some retailers have decided to take the loss and throw out their inventory instead of dealing with angry customers. Or the transaction is an 'all sales final, no warranty' type of sale.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 03:33 PM   #15
Kiepur_Inlein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
Atom pads aren't really suited for derby. The padding is thin and the hard shells are not hard at all, more like a stiff rubber.

If you are looking for pads for rec skating, the Atom's might work. They would protect you from abrasions and some very light impact. Also, Atom pads tend to suffer from durability issues. Some of them fall apart for no real reason other than they were cheaply made. If you dont mind sewing them back together, not a big deal.

Traditionally, Atom has not stood behind their protective products. As a result, the retailer selling them gets stuck fixing the problems. As a result, some retailers have decided to take the loss and throw out their inventory instead of dealing with angry customers. Or the transaction is an 'all sales final, no warranty' type of sale.
That's good to know, Kennedy. I'll have to impart that to derby-types I come across who ask...
Old July 28th, 2014, 11:04 PM   #16
The Skating Skier

Thanks for the continued replies. Makes me really think I should pass on Atom. I hope the Demon elbow/knee are made better. I am also thinking of ordering the new Demon shorts Forceflex d30 at the same time.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 11:31 AM   #17
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

I've never been impressed with Atom's pads.. NONE of them, particularly when they had to come out with a video to teach people 'how to fall, not using your pads' which was completely antithetical to the MST's and prone to create penalties (sliding out to the hip ala a slide tackle, versus a knee tap/slide)

They are made thinner profile for people who 'don't fall '... People who want comfort, and JUST the bare minimum for legality of play.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 09:18 PM   #18
The Skating Skier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjester View Post
I've never been impressed with Atom's pads.. NONE of them, particularly when they had to come out with a video to teach people 'how to fall, not using your pads' which was completely antithetical to the MST's and prone to create penalties (sliding out to the hip ala a slide tackle, versus a knee tap/slide)

They are made thinner profile for people who 'don't fall '... People who want comfort, and JUST the bare minimum for legality of play.
What do you think of Demon Elbow/knee pads? Do you have any experience with them or have you heard feedback from others?

I think I am going to stay with my G-Force Pro-X knee pads as they are quite good. For fitness skating, if I ever fall (haven't fallen yet) it will most likely be by hitting a small rock or twig. So it is highly likely I will not be falling in a manner to slide on my knee pads and I would likely fall forward and out-stretched. Thus the grabby G-Forms shouldn't be a problem.

I need to get some protective yet comfortable elbow pads, as the G-Form elbow does not offer enough protection. I was hoping the Demons would work.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 08:03 AM   #19
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

Sorry, I have 0 information on Demon pads (good or negative) I've honestly never heard of them until this week when I read the thread.
Wish I could help more.

As for 'comfortable' I've only 'once' fell hard and used my elbow pads for protection in 5+ years of Derby skating. I only have the el cheapo Pro-tec model ones, and they are even a few years old and had 0 problem.

Knee's and wrists? Yes, there I'd definitely spend the extra $ for great quality pads, because those do see more abuse.
Old August 4th, 2014, 12:52 AM   #20
The Skating Skier

No problem, thanks for the reply. If I get the Demon elbows I will be sure to post for others.