S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old April 13th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #21
bunkertor
Maschine #15

Exclamation Elbow

Use an elbow in the OSDA and you are immediately in the penalty box for a minute. IMMEDIATELY in the box. We don't do minors or let you continue skating after a penalty. If it's flagrant and dangerous you are out of the game. The head referee can elevate penalties to two minutes and toss a skater from the game if they are fighting or elbowing. Skaters can also be banned from OSDA play if they make a habit of being thrown out.

We don't put up with that crap.

Back of the arm and shoulder ONLY.

The OSDA strongly enforces penalties and allows NO fighting.

The OSDL is not currently associated with the OSDA.

The OSDA is mostly flat track leagues and has one flat/banked league, PJRD, which I skate and ref for. We are 75%/25% Women / Men ratio.

OSDA
http://oldschoolderbyassociation.com...and-realities/
bunkertor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #22
Blade Rogers
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkertor View Post
Use an elbow in the OSDA and you are immediately in the penalty box for a minute. IMMEDIATELY in the box. We don't do minors or let you continue skating after a penalty. If it's flagrant and dangerous you are out of the game. The head referee can elevate penalties to two minutes and toss a skater from the game if they are fighting or elbowing. Skaters can also be banned from OSDA play if they make a habit of being thrown out.

We don't put up with that crap.

Back of the arm and shoulder ONLY.

The OSDA strongly enforces penalties and allows NO fighting.

The OSDL is not currently associated with the OSDA.

The OSDA is mostly flat track leagues and has one flat/banked league, PJRD, which I skate and ref for. We are 75%/25% Women / Men ratio.

OSDA
http://oldschoolderbyassociation.com...and-realities/

Thanks for the info, bunkertor! Sounds like our rules are very much alike, especially with the elbows. Since we haven't had any games yet I am not sure how strict our league is with fighting and enforcing penalties.
Blade Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #23
The Notorious DGD
Has Too Many Skates

Since you're not playing by any recognized ruleset, who do you expect to play you?
Old April 13th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #24
bunkertor
Maschine #15

They can play any OSDA leagues if they will use our ruleset.

Also we have a banked track team to play them.
Old April 13th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #25
The Notorious DGD
Has Too Many Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkertor View Post
They can play any OSDA leagues if they will use our ruleset.

Also we have a banked track team to play them.
I guess my point was, in order to play by a ruleset, it helps to adopt it for oneself and practice under it repeatedly. It's certainly a lot easier than trying to develop one from scratch (unless one takes a "no rules" mentality, and that never goes far).
Old April 13th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #26
bunkertor
Maschine #15

They should practice under the ruleset they wish to play. otherwise, most likely they will lose. I have seen that happen.

Last edited by bunkertor; July 7th, 2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old April 13th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #27
niteridr95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
We were trying to keep it a secret. Haha. It would be great if you could make it to a speed practice.

She is usually super busy with work and her family. But, yes, she is an incredible skater.
you go out there for speed practice??? if so whats the floor like out there? and would it be worth it for me to go out there or am i too slow... my girlfriend lives right down the street on 224 and she always said not to go to starlite so out of all the rinks around here we always skiped that one.
Old April 13th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #28
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteridr95 View Post
you go out there for speed practice??? if so whats the floor like out there? and would it be worth it for me to go out there or am i too slow... my girlfriend lives right down the street on 224 and she always said not to go to starlite so out of all the rinks around here we always skiped that one.
The floor is small, a little smaller than Springfield. There are some dips and waves, but nothing too dramatic. It was just coated Monday.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #29
niteridr95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
The floor is small, a little smaller than Springfield. There are some dips and waves, but nothing too dramatic. It was just coated Monday.
floor more like springfield or glue like north canton??? i need an idea on wheels lol
Old April 13th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #30
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

It was a little slick before we coated. It should be like glue for a while.
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #31
Poobah

As far as the part goes with laying out the track so that the outside lines are parallel to the walls and the inside lines are "diagonalish" that's how Gotham Girls lay out their track in their not-so-terribly-roomy venue(s).

I'd imagine it's easier to visualize "turning it" than it is to actually lay out for the first time.

It'd be neat to see the tricks you use to get the track laid out that way. I suppose it's possible that certain measurements would maybe need to be done in a different order.

I suppose that's a question I should have posed to Hambone at the bout the other night, or our ref-emeritus Walter Ego who now refs with them.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #32
Blade Rogers
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayglodivine View Post
Since you're not playing by any recognized ruleset, who do you expect to play you?
Actually, I just dug out my rulebook that the team owner gave me and it says right on the front "OSDA Policies and Procedures Manual". So I guess we are under OSDA rules after all. Forgive me, I just started roller derby about 6 weeks ago, so I don't have all of these different leagues memorized just yet...
Blade Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #33
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
As far as the part goes with laying out the track so that the outside lines are parallel to the walls and the inside lines are "diagonalish" that's how Gotham Girls lay out their track in their not-so-terribly-roomy venue(s).

I'd imagine it's easier to visualize "turning it" than it is to actually lay out for the first time.

It'd be neat to see the tricks you use to get the track laid out that way. I suppose it's possible that certain measurements would maybe need to be done in a different order.

I suppose that's a question I should have posed to Hambone at the bout the other night, or our ref-emeritus Walter Ego who now refs with them.
It was really easy to do. We measured wall to wall and found the center line of the floor. We made a mark on the center line. From that mark, we went 35 feet down the floor (parallel to the wall) and made another mark. That set up the outside track. For the inside track, we offset the marks 1' toward the walls at the end of the straights. Those 2 marks made the center of the arcs for the inner track.

We swung arcs with the appropriate length from the appropriate center marks. We started putting down the tape a few feet before the top of the quadrant, and swung the tape a few feet past the top of the next quadrant. This allowed the arcs to start and stop smooth by trimming off the excess. For the straights, we held the tape and set the lines at the tangent points of the circles, set the tape down, and had straightaways. It is not 100% the way WFTDA says to do it, but the end result is real close.
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #34
Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Rogers View Post
Actually, I just dug out my rulebook that the team owner gave me and it says right on the front "OSDA Policies and Procedures Manual". So I guess we are under OSDA rules after all. Forgive me, I just started roller derby about 6 weeks ago, so I don't have all of these different leagues memorized just yet...
You are tending to say "team" when you mean "league" and "league" when you mean "association" or "umbrella organization."

OSDA is an organization comprised of seven leagues. WFTDA is an organization comprised of 78 member leagues and 47 apprentice leagues working towards membership. I'm not sure if WORD is a formal organization quite yet nor how many members it has (maybe six tops?). At last count there seemed to be about six Renegade Rollergirls leagues in a fairly loose confederation (with no rules outside of three points per scoring pass and the "golden" one, a lot of structure is probably pointless). Then there's four Men's Derby Coalition leagues, a group of men's leagues that use WFTDA's rules (as do most modern co-ed and men's leagues). The bulk of the rest are part of USARS, which most people don't consider to be one of those organizations, but it's more one of those (and an IOC-recognized sanctioning body) than it is an insurance provider. Or it should be, anyways...

Skating by an organization's rules does not mean a league is a member. I think the one time Hurt did a query on bouts where the rules used were known, roughly 97% of the bouts/games around the world are played by WFTDA rules. That figure may have changed slightly since then, but probably not by more than 1% or so. It probably fluctuates upwards the most during WFTDA's tournament season, ECDX and other multi-bout events, and downward slightly after the Battle on the Bank tournament.

Last edited by Poobah; April 14th, 2010 at 05:12 AM.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #35
AlexC

Thanks for that post poobah, and if anyone has any questions about OSDA and WFTDA you can message me or just get out there and see or better yet play by the rulesets.
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote