S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old November 7th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #1
Poobah

Default WFTDA 2014 Championships

This weekend!

Friday's bouts:
2PM Atlanta vs London. WFTDA ranks Atlanta 8th and London 13th. Flat Track Stats has London 9th and Atlanta 13th, predicting London wins with an 11:8 ratio. London has some old European results dragging their WFTDA ranking down.

4PM Rocky Mountain Rollergirls vs Angel City Derby Girls. WFTDA has Rocky at 10th, Angel City at 6th. Flat Track Stats has Angel City at 12th and Rocky at 7th, predicting Rocky takes it 29:20. RMRG had some shaky results early in the year, FTS tends to reflect more recent results. I'd tend to go with their take on things. They last faced off on 9/22/2012, with Rocky winning it 172-126 at home.

At 6PM, there looks to be the closest of the prelim games, per FTS anyways. WFTDA has Rat City Rollergirls at 16th and Ohio Rollergirls at 21st. Not only does FTS have them at 14th and 15th respectively, it gives both a 50/50 chance of winning and predicts a 2:2 score ratio. Basically a toss-up game, though I suppose they must figure Rat City as a slight favorite with them having 829.9 rating points vs Ohio's 827.7.

In the 8PM game, both rankings favor Windy City Rollers over Philly Roller Girls. WFTDA has Windy City at 9th vs Philly at 14th. FTS has WCR at 10th and Philly at 11th, predicting a 32:29 ratio. The thing is, the games that got them where they're currently ranked probably didn't have Sandrine Rangeon playing for Windy City. A lot of this may hinge upon whether WCR will be able to stop V. Diva or just bounce off her.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Reenie

I'm beside myself with excitement and there's still ten hours to go. How am I going to contain myself?! *head explodes*
Reenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Hot Lips

For even more nerdery ... there are no less than 14 DNN previews (12 teams, officials, MATHS) up already -- and I just finished proofing the last four (D2 grand finals), which I think we'll put up tomorrow. www.derbynewsnetwork.com/news

I am sitting at home awaiting the TV I bought as a consolation prize for not having enough time or money to go to Milwaukee. I am going to use the TV to watch the games while I use my computer to grade student papers and edit the recaps as they arrive. Hopefully it works. I ordered a dizzying array of cables that are meant to let me connect the tablet to the TV and I am not the most tech-savvy (or lucky) person out there.

Also going to figure out how to follow the last minutes of the Atlanta / London bout while I bicycle my dog to the vet (did not think that appointment time through real well). If London's past history is anything to go by, this will go down to the wire and cause me to have a heart attack and steer both Wolfie and myself into a tree.
Hot Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #4
NaptownChris

When the feed has been operational, I've enjoyed the derby. It was a good day for the sport. Great bouts all around. Today promises to be interesting too!
Old November 9th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #5
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

2 super weak calls cost rat the game. the dive was obvious and borderline comical. and the apex jump nonexistent forearm. I expected better from the refs, and rat.
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #6
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

One thing to remember (I couldn't get feed this weekend so I am not referring to specific calls); The angle of viewing from the Officials is completely different from the angle you'll see on the feed. They are making their calls on the best vantage point they have at the time vs. what we can see in hi-def from a further back trajectory.
Old November 9th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #7
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjester View Post
One thing to remember (I couldn't get feed this weekend so I am not referring to specific calls); The angle of viewing from the Officials is completely different from the angle you'll see on the feed. They are making their calls on the best vantage point they have at the time vs. what we can see in hi-def from a further back trajectory.
ya..they used both as the replay between games. I stand by the fact the calls were bad. one wasn't called by the jammers ref, it was an ipr behind the play, it was obvious the blocker initiated contact with the jammer (infact she went for a sideways backwards block and wiffed, and fell over towards the forearm that the ipr said knocked her down) . and the second was a perfect double knee fall way after contact.
Old November 9th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #8
Salamanda

Pretty damn unhappy that I got to watch about a total of ten minutes worth of gameplay for the LRG vs Atlanta bout, and for most of that the feed would freeze ten seconds into the jam and then pick up just as it was being called off. WFTDA.tv really need to sort out their issues because I'm not thrilled that I bought a product only for it not to work and then be told that: 1. I can listen to the audio feed instead 2. It will be fixed for the next game (well I wanted to watch the LRG game actually) and 3. It was somehow our fault for overloading the servers (because apparently it is a shock that people from all over the world wanted to watch the first international team play at Championships..).

I probably won't buy it again
Old November 9th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #9
DarrenVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamanda View Post
Pretty damn unhappy that I got to watch about a total of ten minutes worth of gameplay for the LRG vs Atlanta bout, and for most of that the feed would freeze ten seconds into the jam and then pick up just as it was being called off. WFTDA.tv really need to sort out their issues because I'm not thrilled that I bought a product only for it not to work and then be told that: 1. I can listen to the audio feed instead 2. It will be fixed for the next game (well I wanted to watch the LRG game actually) and 3. It was somehow our fault for overloading the servers (because apparently it is a shock that people from all over the world wanted to watch the first international team play at Championships..).

I probably won't buy it again
I joined a few of the girls from Dorset roller girls to watch London / Atlanta. And got to see the last jam of the first period. And most of the 2nd period. Very poor effort by WFTDA tv . I can't believe they they didn't anticipate that a few folks in England might want to watch LRG bout!!!!!!
Some very unhappy folks this side of the Atlantic, and not because LRG lost
DarrenVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #10
NaptownChris

The feed is 100% better today. Sucks that they never seem to work the kinks out beforehand...
Old November 9th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #11
NaptownChris

Also, it's all but impossible to say that any couple of calls really changed the outcome of a game. Things are unpredictable in derby. Sure, maybe it made a difference. Or maybe that jammer that shouldn't have gotten sent off for a given penalty commits something else right after that and goes to the box anyway.

I, for one, was pleased with all the derby yesterday. That bout, in particular, could have gone either way and was a lot of fun to watch.
Old November 9th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #12
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownChris View Post
Also, it's all but impossible to say that any couple of calls really changed the outcome of a game. Things are unpredictable in derby. Sure, maybe it made a difference. Or maybe that jammer that shouldn't have gotten sent off for a given penalty commits something else right after that and goes to the box anyway.

I, for one, was pleased with all the derby yesterday. That bout, in particular, could have gone either way and was a lot of fun to watch.
in todays game, a couple of calls, when they are jammer penalties, always make a difference. the entire game is now make the jammer take a penalty at all costs.

it was a fun game to watch, and 2 calls did make the difference.
Old November 9th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #13
NaptownChris

You employ lots of absolutes when you post about these things.

I daresay that in this current bout (Gotham vs OHRG), one or two calls - even on jammers - won't make much difference at all.

I stand by what I said.
Old November 9th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #14
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownChris View Post
You employ lots of absolutes when you post about these things.

I daresay that in this current bout (Gotham vs OHRG), one or two calls - even on jammers - won't make much difference at all.

I stand by what I said.
I'm not a fan of Ohio, that is for sure. But when I see a dive in any game.. In any sport... I'll sh!t list them.. And in the last 3 years I've seen a lot of it out of Ohio, especially since Scott went from head ref to head coach.

In a close game if you have to dive to secure the win? Really?

I'm glad Gotham smoked them. And you are right, I'm pretty sure Gotham could have played between 2 and 3 blockers the entire time and still won.

Derby is unpredictable, definitely, and you should be in a position to absorb those penalties if you are strong enough and played the game right. . I'm not condemning the refs, but those calls, in my time coaching, would have sent me through the roof. And I only mean those two calls.
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #15
Phoenix177

Thoroughly disappointed with the WFTDA.tv feed, it struggled all weekend for me and was more off than it was on. To their credit, I complained (again) and mentioned I'd not got my money back from D1 either and I got a full refund.
I'd love to go back to a "pay what it's worth" option, because I'd probably donate for each bout I watched and was able to watch in full.

WFTDA's explanation for why their feed crashed was not good enough. A total lack of forecasting and adequate pre-planning is not an reasonable excuse when you're asking for money up-front.

Anyhow, as a result of the feed crashing I only got to watch a little of the London/Atlanta bout and some of the 2nd half of the final. Texas were phenomenal! I was vaguely surprised to see how many reports were saying it was a "surprisingly close" semi-final (BAD/Gotham) and final. Has no-one else believed that there are teams out there working there arses off to defeat Gotham?!

I for one was overly optimistic about BAD's chances against Gotham...I was disappointed they were in the same bracket so couldn't meet at the final. The bracket I put together optimistically put BAD to win the Semi for a BAD/Denver final. That was my error!
I heard the announcers say that of the 600+ brackets submitted, only 11 made it past the first four bouts. I did pretty well and am waiting to see the announcement as to who won!

Bring on 2014. We know Gotham are going to continue killing it, but you've got to hope that BAD/Texas and others will be working even harder and that top level is going to be really competitive again.
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #16
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

the feed on sunday was terribad. I ended up just listening to the audio stream.
Old November 13th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #17
Jazzy

I know it's certainly not as good as being able to watch the stream you paid for live but they've got the Atlanta vs London archive up already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ72jfcGn78