S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old May 14th, 2018, 07:23 PM   #1
jhunold

Default Smaller Diameter wheels/Recommendations

Hi all, first post but I have been a lurker for a little bit now. I have been skating weekly now for a little over a year. I wouldn't say I am great but im definitely more at the intermediate level. I pick up stuff pretty quickly. My current set up is listed below:

Riedell 595
Labeda Pro Line
Vanilla Backspin deluxe

Lately at my rink, I have noticed people coming in with smaller diameter wheels. I know they are more for artistic/rhythm style skating. My question is fairly simple. I would like to see about purchasing a set of a smaller wheel size. What would you recommend as a beginner type as well as material. I have seen a few people with wood and in my research I have come across clay and other materials.

Info that may help you help me.

6'2/195 lbs
Interskate Roller Rink in Lewisvile Texas. The floor was just redone but they are not planning on coating it, so right now its just straight wood.
jhunold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 10:22 PM   #2
Ancient1

Hi Jhunold,

Wood is very old school and used a lot in speed skating back in the day. You said that they are not going to coat the wood floor. I think powder is not used any more but do you know if they are going to use powder anyway to gain traction and if not what will they use? I would think that bare wood would be very slick without powder or a coating.

Anyway to answer your question... Smaller wheels give a bit more control, larger wheels give you a bit more speed. The question you need to answer is what you are going to do on those wheels? Also wheels can be of different hardness which will give different slickness or stickiness. And each floor and its coating will determine how different wheels will react.

So your question may be difficult to answer if we don't know about what you want to do or how slick your floor is under different wheel compounds.
Old May 14th, 2018, 10:33 PM   #3
jhunold

Thanks for the reply.

According to one of the employees they are leaving it as is. They do not even know if the owner will do anything to it, but its looking like a no.

I understand hardness for the most part. I believe the wheels I am on now are 102 which I am happy with and I have also skated on 92s (they felt like mud). I really just want to do more spins and artistic/figure style skating.

Do you have any recommendations for a hardness similar to what I am currently using?
Old May 15th, 2018, 01:52 AM   #4
Oicusk82huh

Wish I could help. I could make a recommendation however, you could also try the "ask Doc Sk8" thread. He seems like a pretty good resource. Good luck, it's always fun trying something new.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 04:36 AM   #5
larryoracing

Smile Wow what a fascinating question...lol!

Wow, what type of wheel to use on a all natural wood maple floor?????

And you want a small diameter wheel.

I have a feeling the Bones 101A smaller diameter wheel, which is 57mm in diameter will work just fine for you.

I have used the larger 62mm 101A Bones Wheels on a all natural wood floor and it worked fine.

I do use a stiffer, taller artistic boot which drives the wheels harder into the floor, but hopefully these wheels will work fine for you on your 595 low top boots????

Another wheel which might work is the "All American Plus" wheel, which is still readily available. It is 55 mm in diameter. And they are reasonable priced at 55 dollars per set.

I have not actually skated on this wheel, but own a set.

I have use the more expensive "All American Dream" wheel which has aluminum hubs, but this wheel is very hard to get. But I think they are still out there. The wheel is 55mm in diameter. If you can find a set of "All American Dream" wheels, they will give you good results.

I also think the All American Dream wheels and the All American Plus wheels are the same compound but the All American Dream has the aluminum inserts, which drives the price upward. When they come available/ they make a batch run they want about 110-130 dollars per set.

Another wheel which I think will work, but have not tried is the Rollline "Mustang" wheel, 97A hardness and is 57 mm in diameter.

I own a set of these wheels, but have not tried them on a all Natural Wood Maple wood floor. But I think they would work fine.

The Best Wheel on a all Natural Wood Maple wood floor is the Excalibur Wheel, 62mm, with Aluminum inserts, but they don't make these wheels anymore. But I still see them on Ebay for about 110 dollars used and sometimes fairly new. I have skated with these wheels on a all natural wood maple wood floor and they are the ultimate for doing freestyle, tricks and spins.

I have two sets of these wheels, pristine and perfect. I guard them with my life. They are precious...lol!

Another wheel which were the original wheel of Natural Wood Floors is the Zephyr. They don't make these wheels anymore and basically nobody sells these wheels. But I do see them on Ebay on used vintage roller skates. People don't know what they are, but they are Green, small diameter and my friend skates on them all the time on Natural Wood floors. I have three sets of used
Zephyr skate wheels. I bought a few sets on Ebay just in case I ever wanted to skate on them or if my friend needed a extra set if he wore out his originals.

Good Luck!

Larry O

P.S. The Sunrise Invitational is in two weeks, Sacramento Ca, then Regionals at the same place and finally Nationals, at Lincoln Nebraska.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 09:53 AM   #6
rwsz

I agree with Jim and Larry.
the smaller wheel isn't as fast as the larger and has less roll and is used more for freestyle.
the larger wheel is more of a dance or figure wheel with more roll.

I think you would be best off with a 57 mm or 55 mm wheel which is the smaller wheel in a rolline or bones and the hardness would depend on how tight or slippery your floor is. harder for a tight floor and better for spins and softer for a slippery floor.
good luck
Old May 15th, 2018, 01:19 PM   #7
Ancient1

So Larry,
Are you skating on a non coated wood floor? It has been many decades since I have seen a bare wood floor. I long for the day.

This is off the subject some but I am curious:
I know of floors made of Maple, but I wonder if any other wood is used? I never really know exactly why it seems that the wood floors I have seen are maple and not something like cedar or bald cyprus or walnut or oak. Anyone have an idea about the reason for the choice of maple?

Back to the topic:
Ok, you are going to want to do freestyle (Jumps and Spins). Great! Then we know the best size as stated by Larry and confirmed by Rick. 57mm should be the best choice and slightly slick so the 101's to 103's would do it, and I would think the 101's may hold up well on a bare wood floor.
Old May 16th, 2018, 10:09 AM   #8
rwsz

Jim I think maple is used instead of oak as much because of the cost factor. not 100% sure but what I thought I heard years ago.
Old May 17th, 2018, 09:29 AM   #9
larryoracing

Smile I hope we have answered the question...lol!

Nope Jim, I do not skate on a wood floor. Northridge is made of Maple and I skate at Fountain Valley, which is plastic coating over maple.

One floors, qty 3 under one roof are made of particle board or something. I have not skated there, but heard I about it.

I think some woods may not be hard enough. Like Bowling Alleys that can take a beating, I think Maple floors can take a beating.

I do think some rinks might be made of Oak or something else, but I think some of those floors are exceptions to the rule.

Of course cement with plastic coating has got to be the cheapest.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani and good luck!
Old May 18th, 2018, 01:03 AM   #10
amohrfeld

I'm not a fan of the really small wheels. They are generally for rhythm or sliding styles. Personally I don't like the loss of speed. However if you do go that route then look at small fiberglass or wood wheels.

PS: I really like my fo-mac Premier wheels. But Roll Line is my every-day freestyle wheel.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 09:54 AM   #11
Ancient1

Sorry I was not able to reply sooner. Had a vacation to see kids in Chicago over the past week.

Rick,
Thanks. I was thinking it was a shrinking issue or expansion issue with temperature and humidity, but COST can be a good reason...

Larry,
I agree that concrete would be cheap, and I hate particle board. I was just curious. I am not a fan of plastic coatings. But I really liked powder. I can't stand concrete. Every broken bone and also my concussion were all on concrete.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 10:30 AM   #12
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Sorry I was not able to reply sooner. Had a vacation to see kids in Chicago over the past week.

Rick,
Thanks. I was thinking it was a shrinking issue or expansion issue with temperature and humidity, but COST can be a good reason...

Larry,
I agree that concrete would be cheap, and I hate particle board. I was just curious. I am not a fan of plastic coatings. But I really liked powder. I can't stand concrete. Every broken bone and also my concussion were all on concrete.
powder lmao, your showing your age, I hated powder what a mess especially if u fell. also I don't think it was very healthy to breath in
Old May 22nd, 2018, 11:48 AM   #13
Ancient1

Hi Rick,
I skated so much with powder that I learned to enjoy the smell of it. Yes falling did make a mess. For a long time I would wear all black when I would practice and when I walked home I was in gray and white. Lucky my grandmother had an old time wringer washing machine which didn't flinch at the powder and it washed out well. I heard rumors that the powder caused cancer. It didn't seem to affect me, so not sure if the rumor is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
powder lmao, your showing your age, I hated powder what a mess especially if u fell. also I don't think it was very healthy to breath in
Old May 22nd, 2018, 06:29 PM   #14
Nostalgic

I have skated on both Maple and Oak. Maple is a harder wood and you roll faster while oak is probably cheaper. The old Santa Ana floor was oak (I think). Identifying woods is something I am not particularly good at.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2018, 10:14 AM   #15
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
I have skated on both Maple and Oak. Maple is a harder wood and you roll faster while oak is probably cheaper. The old Santa Ana floor was oak (I think). Identifying woods is something I am not particularly good at.
Oak is stronger than Maple (dents less), and thus is the more common flooring material. Because Oak is more popular, economies of scale make it less expensive: they sell more and thus can charge less.

looks like your right on cost because of more being sold but oak is stronger.
Old May 24th, 2018, 03:47 AM   #16
larryoracing

Default What was the original post...lol?

Oh yeah small wheels on a wooden floor...lol!

Yep, small wheels 55 mm -57 work great. Any old school clay wheel will be fine. First wheel for the new plastic coated floors...Ex Caliber works, but they are bigger in diameter. And the semi-new school wheels from Roll Line Freestyle will probably do the trick in the 95A-97A Hardness.

I know the hot ticket these days is Komplex wheels, but I only have them for figures, which are the hardess wheels known to man. Man do they roll...lol!

Don't expect much grip though..lol!

Powder, never minded it, but it was dirty and what you needed to get grip on the slippery wooden floors. I think the new wheels rolling on a new wooden floor transfers material to the floor so you don't need the powder. My guess...lol! Nostaglic commented on that for the new wooden floor at Northridge, CA.

By far all plastic coating should be removed form modern day wood floors, but some wooden floors are in such bad shape that the plastic coating fills in all the cracks and separtions in the wood tongue and groove joints.

Good luck and good post.

Larry O and wish me luck this sunday at the Tri State Initational at Citrus Heights, Ca this weekend.
Old May 24th, 2018, 09:14 AM   #17
Ancient1

Larry,
Best of luck. Win well and have fun.
Old May 24th, 2018, 10:35 AM   #18
larryoracing

Smile What was the question again...lol! Just Kidding..

Jim,
I think I have the potential to win in Bronze Solo Dance.

In figures I should do well, because of the low number of contestants.

In the past I have not enjoyed skating, but as I am improving and winning at local competitions my confidence is reaching and all time HIGH...lol!

For the first time in my life I told my pro "We are going to have fun at this competition...lol"

In Silver Solo Dance, I need to get on the podium to qualify for Nationals.

I will tell you the results in a few days and thankyou very much. I need it.
I'm finally reaching a turning point in my skating. My pro says my hard work is finally paying off.

Hope you can get back on skates someday. We have a "DATE" at Nationals some day.

Sincerely and my best wishes always for you, your wife and your family.

Larry O
Old May 25th, 2018, 10:28 AM   #19
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
Jim,
I think I have the potential to win in Bronze Solo Dance.

In figures I should do well, because of the low number of contestants.

In the past I have not enjoyed skating, but as I am improving and winning at local competitions my confidence is reaching and all time HIGH...lol!

For the first time in my life I told my pro "We are going to have fun at this competition...lol"

In Silver Solo Dance, I need to get on the podium to qualify for Nationals.

I will tell you the results in a few days and thankyou very much. I need it.
I'm finally reaching a turning point in my skating. My pro says my hard work is finally paying off.

Hope you can get back on skates someday. We have a "DATE" at Nationals some day.

Sincerely and my best wishes always for you, your wife and your family.

Larry O
good luck and have fun
Old June 15th, 2018, 02:54 PM   #20
jhunold

Appreciate the responses everyone. Apologies for taking so long to get back on here and reply, been swamped lately and havent had the opportunity. I will be looking into some of the ones recommended.