S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old April 24th, 2018, 07:25 AM   #21
larryoracing

Smile I think the Roll Line Giotto is a good choice.

I skate on the Giotto for figures. I even did some jumps and spins the other day on them. Yeah it crazy, but then I never ever went to my toe stops much.

The jumps were loops and the spins were uprights.

I also skate on the Dance Plate. Good for "Weave" dances.

The Ring plate is good for figures also and make an excellent dance "pattern" plate.

I skate on the Energy plate when I do freestyle normally. Don't put on the Freestyle plates much. Just use my Giotto plates for everything...Dance, Figures and Freestyle (just doing simple jumps, like Waltz, loops and upright spins).

Lots of times I just want to do Dance and put on the Dance Plates, which I have mounted the 2 ring Berry Dance boot (very low profile boot made for International type dancing, which I use for American Dance).

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2018, 10:17 AM   #22
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Thanks for the offer anyway. Now I've been searching online. A lot of my friends that do dancing tell me I should get a shorter frame, but I'm thinking I'm not sure I'm ready yet. They say it has to do with my double three turns. I feel like I've got them pretty good, but they say it's too forced because the frame is long, and that if I got a shorter frame, it would be "easier."

Which brings up my inline skates. I have been a slalom skater on inlines for many years and my set up is much closer to a pair of Snow White inline boots, in that it's a rockered set up and I demand a MUCH MUCH smaller plate than most inline skaters would feel comfortable on. If I'm not on a super short frame I'll go crazy, they're like skis. But I just can't wrap my brain around toe picks on inline skates! The freedom there is that you can do some really beautiful ballet style toe moves. I get that people want to jump though, and it's totally awesome if that's what you're into. I can totally relate to flying through the air on skates, but I save that for ice skating. I lucked out and got a pair of $800 used figure ice skates for about $80 bucks!!! Again, on my figure ice skates i also actually prefer a shorter frame than is recommended, (only by a 1/4inch) and that was purely by chance, I just took what my coach bought me online for like $40 bucks! It was a really pricey frame, but I totally lucked out. In one single day my skating went from "okay" to "great". It was one of the most memorable experiences for me, how a plate or frame could serve as the catalyst for converting "thought to execution." In that way I was lucky to have a coach/teacher with years of experience.

Since then, I've become completely and totally in love with roller skating and now that I've found perfect slippery wheels, I just would love a frame to match. At this point I feel like I may be outgrowing my frame. I think a great place to start would be the Roll Line Giotto.
many skaters use the short mount frame type skates but not sure if it is for u with all the many things u want but u never know till u try. see if u can borrow one and try it to see from somebody with your size. giotto might be, good luck.
Old April 25th, 2018, 08:21 AM   #23
Oicusk82huh

Thanks guys. You've all really helped me to choose a plate. Also thanks RWSZ, you're probably right, for the time being, I'm gonna go with my proper size. I've decided to go with the Giotto. I think that it will be a great place to start, since it will be my first plate (non store bought stock plate).

This weekend I have a friend that will let me try her 35 degree king pin angle plate/skate. It's a derby skate and I'm not a fan of those.

But anyway thanks again. My mind is made up! Roll Line Giotto for me!
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2018, 10:14 AM   #24
rwsz

Quote:
Thanks guys. You've all really helped me to choose a plate. Also thanks RWSZ, you're probably right, for the time being, I'm gonna go with my proper size. I've decided to go with the Giotto. I think that it will be a great place to start, since it will be my first plate (non store bought stock plate).

This weekend I have a friend that will let me try her 35 degree king pin angle plate/skate. It's a derby skate and I'm not a fan of those.

But anyway thanks again. My mind is made up! Roll Line Giotto for me!
good choice and have fun
Old April 25th, 2018, 08:57 PM   #25
Slinkydog

I think you'll really enjoy the Giotto, definitely keep us posted on how you like them, I love getting more opinions on Roll-Line plates.
Slinkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2018, 06:02 AM   #26
larryoracing

Smile Short Plates/Artistic Mount????

Many people have short plates/ a shorter length plate than Nominal/"normal", but I don't recommend it!

A standard plate mounting where the front axel is under the ball of the foot is 'perfect?????'.

Some people can benefit from a longer than "nominal" mount, but in the long run will not give the skater the benefit of a quicker/normal truck action, where the skater has the best advantage too do tricks or more crazier things on skates.

If you are normal skater a normal mounting where the front axel is under the ball of the foot will give you the best results.

If you are a beginner/afraid of falling and don't have very good balance a longer than normal mount is probably the way to go.

If you are a excellent skater with good balance and want to do things quicker and faster, with lightning speed you might be one of the very, very, very few who can benefit from a short mount, in my humble opinion...lol.

Good luck with those Giotto plates. An excellent choice!

Larry O
Old April 28th, 2018, 07:49 AM   #27
Oicusk82huh

Oh, I just found out my wheel base is actually 158cm. It's about 3mm forward of ball of my foot. The Giotto Plate is either 155 or 160.

Larryoracing, I'm not sure if I'm excellent, but I ain't to shabby!!!

If I go with the 155 plate, it will be under the ball of my foot. If I go with the 160, it will be more toward the front of my foot. What do you guys think???
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2018, 10:34 AM   #28
rwsz

Quote:
Oh, I just found out my wheel base is actually 158cm. It's about 3mm forward of ball of my foot. The Giotto Plate is either 155 or 160.

Larryoracing, I'm not sure if I'm excellent, but I ain't to shabby!!!

If I go with the 155 plate, it will be under the ball of my foot. If I go with the 160, it will be more toward the front of my foot. What do you guys think???
go with what the chart says for your boot and foot size. it should be under the ball of your foot in the front and close to the heel in the back, can be a bit forward though, 1/2 at most unless u want a short mount I would say.
just one more thing, u can still get a plate with the toe stop in it, will give u options to jump , spin or stop with it. if u do u can put in a small plug or small toe stop and screw it up high to avoid hitting it by mistake on the floor. can also let u spin on it or turn on it depending on what moves u are doing. not saying to do it just letting u know options.
Old April 29th, 2018, 06:33 AM   #29
larryoracing

Default Decisions, Decisions, Decisions, what's a person to do...lol!

I would go with the 155 plate. Everybody on this website has been pushing to put the front axel underneath the ball of the foot. Now, nobody is speaking up????

Stand up for what you believe. I have three pair of skates with three different boots. Some boots are physically longer and some shorter for the same size foot, size 8, so I always try to match the plate size so the front axel is underneath the ball of the foot for whatever boot I am mounting.

For the same size boot. I'm a size 8 (USA) I have three different size plates mounted to the boots. One boot I have a 160 plate mounted. Another size 8 boot I have a size 165 plate mounted and then for another longer size 8 boot I have a size 170 plate mounted. All perform well. All with the ball of the foot over the front axel of the plate.

Besides all your friends wanted you to go to a short plate to do "dance". Now we don't have to hear them anymore because we have fulfilled their wishes.

I have stated before I jump and spin with my Giotto plate. You don't use your toestop doing spins. And only two jumps requires the toe stop...,mapes/toewally and the flip/lutz.

Actually the toestop is only used to assist the jump. The problem people have is they try to use the toestops to launch the jump and jump over the toestop. Wrong!

Take care and have fun.

Larry O

P.S. People use toestops to cheat on spins and to cheat on jumps. I actually think you can do a mapes/toewally and flip/lutz by not even using your toestops. Press the inside toe wheel, substituting if for the toestop and jump off the foot you are standing on. I haven't tried that yet but I think it is very possible and easy. People don't try to do easy things...lol! What I'm saying when you jump off the skate you are standing on, you will have better balance and control to land the jump. Not the stabbing foot and use your legs and not your upper body to rotate the jump. When you jump off the stabbing foot/toestop in induces instability and loss of control, making consistency a bitter problem.
Old April 29th, 2018, 12:06 PM   #30
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
I would go with the 155 plate. Everybody on this website has been pushing to put the front axel underneath the ball of the foot. Now, nobody is speaking up????

Stand up for what you believe. I have three pair of skates with three different boots. Some boots are physically longer and some shorter for the same size foot, size 8, so I always try to match the plate size so the front axel is underneath the ball of the foot for whatever boot I am mounting.

For the same size boot. I'm a size 8 (USA) I have three different size plates mounted to the boots. One boot I have a 160 plate mounted. Another size 8 boot I have a size 165 plate mounted and then for another longer size 8 boot I have a size 170 plate mounted. All perform well. All with the ball of the foot over the front axel of the plate.

Besides all your friends wanted you to go to a short plate to do "dance". Now we don't have to hear them anymore because we have fulfilled their wishes.

I have stated before I jump and spin with my Giotto plate. You don't use your toestop doing spins. And only two jumps requires the toe stop...,mapes/toewally and the flip/lutz.

Actually the toestop is only used to assist the jump. The problem people have is they try to use the toestops to launch the jump and jump over the toestop. Wrong!

Take care and have fun.

Larry O

P.S. People use toestops to cheat on spins and to cheat on jumps. I actually think you can do a mapes/toewally and flip/lutz by not even using your toestops. Press the inside toe wheel, substituting if for the toestop and jump off the foot you are standing on. I haven't tried that yet but I think it is very possible and easy. People don't try to do easy things...lol! What I'm saying when you jump off the skate you are standing on, you will have better balance and control to land the jump. Not the stabbing foot and use your legs and not your upper body to rotate the jump. When you jump off the stabbing foot/toestop in induces instability and loss of control, making consistency a bitter problem.
I have some super short forward slipper skates. Itís just for tricks in the house. The short forward kills my pushing power. Toes are easier though.

All true. Iíve seen toe stop spins. But it kills revs. Iíve tried the mapes without the toe stops. (technically not a mapes). Taking off with the stab is no problem, but Iím still working on my 360 skills. Like you say, your not launching off of it, and the bit of scoot doesnít seem to pull me off any (being chicken sht does).

But Iím a bit ahead of myself. Iím still working on just 360ís traveling in reverse, either direction. The one foot landing comes next. Then Iíll stab for pizzazz. My waltz jump lands well. So thatís my practice landing. I try to do a bunch (waltzes) in a row, but I get further and further out toward the wall and have to quit.
Old April 30th, 2018, 04:45 PM   #31
Ancient1

Larry is right that you can do the mapes with the inner forward wheel if you don't have a toe stop.

Derrick is right that it is not technically a Mapes if you don't toe off at all. In that case it would be a LOOP jump.