S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old June 11th, 2018, 05:25 PM   #1
ValerieAnne

Default My Blades are here!! *Updated*

Woohoo. My blades showed up today! They were late as another shipment was late to UPS so I had to wait all weekend for them. They fit nicely, so I'm glad I went with the size 6, I think anything else would be too tight or loose.

The back of the cuff is digging into my leg though, I'm pretty sure it's because I don't have the right socks (at least height wise). Is it normal though? The boot, etc fits nicely, it's just really painful because of the cuff digging in. I'm happy they fit, and hope it's an easy fix, with the right socks though!

Generic Amazon photo of the blades I received:

I have a new "update" below. May need to return these and get another pair

Last edited by ValerieAnne; June 20th, 2018 at 11:32 PM.
ValerieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2018, 06:47 PM   #2
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

They look great! And ease up on the ratchet buckle up top. I run mine with zero pressure on the strap. Try that, then one click at a time to snug slightly. Don't overdo the tightening of the ankle! Remember, speed skaters use "shoes" with low ankles, not boots. So cranking down the buckle till it hurts you is not necessary.

AND good socks, preferably not cotton. Fluffy acrylics work well as do expensive worsted wool. I have narrow feet so I double up on socks. Try Worlds Softest Socks. Usually available at outlet malls and of course, the Internet.
Old June 11th, 2018, 06:58 PM   #3
ValerieAnne

Thanks a lot, Joey! I like them a lot better than I did in the photos, in which, I still liked them pretty well, lol.

Thanks for the sock recommendations as well. I do have a few pair of fluffy socks, I'll see if any of them are long enough. If not, I'll purchase a pair and keep with my skates, as I normally almost always wear ankle/no show socks, so will be good to have a dedicated pair for skating.

Will loosen up on the buckle, as I made it as tight as I can get it. I thought it was better to have them fit as tightly as possible (all the closures, lol). Glad to know, that those few things may fix it as I'd rather not change/return them. I'd rather ride/learn to ride them lol.
Old June 11th, 2018, 07:21 PM   #4
ValerieAnne

This is the closest to the socks I have already. Would these 'spa' ones be too soft? They look like they'd be long enough, as well. The ones I have are a bit older, so have a lot more stretch to them, so I'm not sure they'd be okay, personally (I've had them for years, so they fall, etc).
Old June 11th, 2018, 07:51 PM   #5
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieAnne View Post
This is the closest to the socks I have already. Would these 'spa' ones be too soft? They look like they'd be long enough, as well. The ones I have are a bit older, so have a lot more stretch to them, so I'm not sure they'd be okay, personally (I've had them for years, so they fall, etc).
Those socks look like a good start. Usually I have to try a bunch of socks with new skates. Things may change after boots get broken in too. My trick is to use tall socks, then fold them down a couple of times to create a triple-think layer around my shin area and Achilles area. Even tho the socks are tall - like mid-calf - none of the sock shows above the boot cuff as they are folded down into the boot (before I pull the boot on of course).
Old June 12th, 2018, 02:59 AM   #6
evinman1234

I actually prefer the socks from Inline Warehouse. They are about mid size and thicker than most sport socks. I have tried the expensive RB socks that cost close to $20 a pair and although they fit well and feel good they are no better in my opinion than the Inline warehouse socks.

I am not affiliated with IW just enjoy their socks!
evinman1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2018, 09:47 PM   #7
ValerieAnne

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinman1234 View Post
I actually prefer the socks from Inline Warehouse. They are about mid size and thicker than most sport socks. I have tried the expensive RB socks that cost close to $20 a pair and although they fit well and feel good they are no better in my opinion than the Inline warehouse socks.

I am not affiliated with IW just enjoy their socks!

Thanks! I'll check those out as well, right now I'm just using the fuzzy ones I have, but I'd prefer to get a pair strictly for blading and as the ones I have are years old, figured a new pair would be good.. in more neutral colors, a blue or black probably.
Old June 13th, 2018, 12:34 PM   #8
Oicusk82huh

Talking

Every time I take the kids skating, I make sure they have "tall socks." Merino wool blend socks are my absolute favorite to skate in. There something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/DANISH-ENDURA...no+socks&psc=1

They're not hot like you would think, it's more of a blend than anything else. They help prevent blisters.

There is always a breaking in period for inline skates. Good luck and let us know how your first session goes!
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 10:09 PM   #9
DarrenVS

I use socks designed for walking. I have used them for a few years now, never had a blister when skating or when using them in. My walking/ hiking boots. If I know Iím going to skate for 3-5 hours and itís going to be hot, I take a fresh pair and swap socks halfway through the skate. Clean dry socks really help to prevent blisters
DarrenVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 03:28 AM   #10
ValerieAnne

Thanks for all the replies about socks!
Old June 20th, 2018, 11:29 PM   #11
ValerieAnne

I may be a more than one pair type of person! The whole time I've had them, I've only been going around the house/my room, etc as I didn't have the protective gear. Now that I have it, I can't seem to get the skates tight enough. It feels like my foot is coming out of them, no matter how tight I have them.

So I think it may be better if I get an adjustable pair with just the buckles, but I don't know where to start with those as it doesn't look like there are many options in that area (most are laces). I'd also like a smaller wheel (that means slower right?) since on the hardwood it's VERY fast and unsteady (which could be me LMAO) but seems much faster on smooth surfaces than I'd like while I'm learning. I'm just afraid to go out with them/attempt to go outside with them being so lose.

I'm gonna keep trying (multiple socks, etc) and see if I can get them to fit like they did the first few times I wore them, as I really, really, like them.. but if I can't, I guess i'll look at the youth/adjustable ones.. So if anybody has ideas, I'm open to them. Still trying to keep them $60 or under though :'(

I'm really sad about this.
Old June 21st, 2018, 09:45 AM   #12
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieAnne View Post
I may be a more than one pair type of person! The whole time I've had them, I've only been going around the house/my room, etc as I didn't have the protective gear. Now that I have it, I can't seem to get the skates tight enough. It feels like my foot is coming out of them, no matter how tight I have them.

So I think it may be better if I get an adjustable pair with just the buckles, but I don't know where to start with those as it doesn't look like there are many options in that area (most are laces). I'd also like a smaller wheel (that means slower right?) since on the hardwood it's VERY fast and unsteady (which could be me LMAO) but seems much faster on smooth surfaces than I'd like while I'm learning. I'm just afraid to go out with them/attempt to go outside with them being so lose.

I'm gonna keep trying (multiple socks, etc) and see if I can get them to fit like they did the first few times I wore them, as I really, really, like them.. but if I can't, I guess i'll look at the youth/adjustable ones.. So if anybody has ideas, I'm open to them. Still trying to keep them $60 or under though :'(

I'm really sad about this.
Adjustable kids skates donít seem to be a good fix for poor fitting skates. Get skates that fit. Itís natural to feell unsteady on loose skates because you are unsteady. The skates must repond to your foot to work correctly.
Old June 22nd, 2018, 07:06 AM   #13
Oicusk82huh

Next time, go with the K2 skates (or Rollerblade brand). Seriously, I would not recommend Blade Runner skates to anyone. Even if the K2 skates had a Hi-low set up, you could change the wheels. By trying to buy the cheapest item, we actually end up spending more in the end. I know!!! I can totally relate! K2 skates are true to size and comfortable.

It's always worth spending more for skates.
Old June 23rd, 2018, 02:42 AM   #14
evinman1234

I agree! K2, Rollerblade, Powerslide, SEBA are good brands..Stick with those and you generally can't go wrong.
Old June 24th, 2018, 04:33 PM   #15
ValerieAnne

One of the reasons I was thinking of getting another pair, as I was thinking that if I could find some with just the buckles (and not lace up) I may get a better fit. I'm not sure what's going on with the ones I purchased, they fit fine, I could get them tied, etc how I needed them for the first week and a half, just going around the house, etc.. but as soon as I took them outside to actually skate outside, I can't seem to get them tight enough. :/

I WAS going to get K2 ones, as there were a couple different models I liked but they either weren't in my size or the reviews for basically the same (as far as positive vs. negative) for them and the pair I got. I was also looking at the SEBA FR1 (I think?) and some on the powerslide site but they weren't anywhere close to my price range (at least at the moment).

I kind of just wanted some that I could get back into, was within my budget and that I could use while I saved up for a better pair... I just didn't want to wait 2-3 more years to be able to get a pair of them, lol. Which, I guess, seems silly thinking about it now.
Old June 25th, 2018, 05:57 AM   #16
Oicusk82huh

Trust me, we all make huge mistakes with skates. I made a $500 mistake with some ice skates!!!!! UGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! It hurts your soul.

I just tried on a pair of Seba FR1's and they are a little expensive, but fantastic.

If you're gonna save up and get some great skates, I'd recommend those. They are sooooo cushy on the inside, like slippers, but with a firm outer shell. They respond well to your movements and the ankle straps are adjustable, you can get them REALLY tight (even if you're skinny).

Many of my friends that are new to skating got those and are very happy. They seem to be progressing beautifully. The new local rink-owners (the best people ever) are stocking their little shop with those, so that's why I get to try em.

Worth every penny.
Old July 6th, 2018, 02:56 AM   #17
evinman1234

I have the SEBA FR1's. They were my favorite skate until I got the new Rollerblade Edge. It is an awesome skate, great support and comfort and costs less than the SEBA FR1. NOtice I said "favorite" and not ncessarily "better". Although the RB Edge does have a better price.

Of course my current "best" skate is the Powerslide Hardcore EVO pro trinity. But I would not suggest it as it is quite expensive and better saved for the future once you are committed to the sport. However it is incredible, super light carbon boot incredible support and the trinity frame is more stable and allows you to ride on a larger wheel while feeling like it is about 10 mm smaller.