S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old March 28th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #1
Vyolet

Default New here, so Hi!

Hello everyone!

Since I'm brand new to the forum I thought I'd make an introduction

I'm very excited to pick up skating again and in the process of figuring out what skates to get. And to do that I'm sucking up tons and tons of information I found on this forum. Which, even though I haven't made the purchase of the skates yet, I want to thank you for!
If I didn't find this forum, I might have gone for the R3's which would probably not work for me.

My background is that I skated a LOT when I was a kid, just outdoor since in Holland skate rinks aren't that casual. I absolutely loved my quad skates as a kid, but the day came they where quite dead and I had to replace them. The new cool thing was inline skates at that time, and no shop offered the "old" quad skates anymore so I had to make the transfer.
My skating was less frequent after that but I still skated and some years later I did hours of skating outdoor with a friend of mine on every trail or path we could find. But when the weather got bad and school pressures where rising we had to quit doing that.

Now is the time to get back to it and I'm so excited that quad skates aren't "dead" at all! And I am thrilled that Roller Derby is establishing itself in Holland more and more. And hopefully, this will give me a way to keep moving in a way my doctor can't dislike too much. I'm an asthma patient, specifically when sporting, so I had to quit several sports because it was just to much for my lungs and body. Skating would give me a fun way to move and something I can pick up at my own pace in stead of having to instantly progress as fast as a whole group.

Since import costs to Holland are high and my budget as a student low, I'm trying to find a decent skate that will last until my budget, hopefully, is higher in the future.

I'm a heavy gall, 23 years old, about 5,7 tall I think converted, and I'm sadly out of shape. (time to change that!)
And I already figured out a nylon plate just won't do and it probably won't last me long.

I want to use them outside and hopefully if I find a place indoor too. (of course with different sets of wheels)
At the moment my preference goes to a Sure Grip Rebel skate with Invader or Avenger plating.
I saw a lot of comments on the boot working well with a wide foot, that would be a plus too.
(And, as my nickname might suggests, I'm a sucker for purple, and the possibility on a purple skate is just epic. But functionality before looks & I don't want to get my hopes up too much just yet. )

But any advice on both the skate or tips for wheels, both indoor and out are always welcome!

I found a derby supplies shop in Gent, which is on driving range in Belgium that will soon list Sure-Grip skates next to Riedell and hoping to get them there. *fingers crossed*

Also, are there any other people from Holland here?
Perhaps you would know some nice routes or indoor places I could try.

Thanks!
This post turned out longer than I thought it would be...
Vyolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #2
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyolet View Post
Hello everyone!

I'm very excited to pick up skating again and in the process of figuring out what skates to get. And to do that I'm sucking up tons and tons of information I found on this forum. Which, even though I haven't made the purchase of the skates yet, I want to thank you for!
If I didn't find this forum, I might have gone for the R3's which would probably not work for me.

My background is that I skated a LOT when I was a kid, just outdoor since in Holland skate rinks aren't that casual. I absolutely loved my quad skates as a kid, but the day came they where quite dead and I had to replace them. The new cool thing was inline skates at that time, and no shop offered the "old" quad skates anymore so I had to make the transfer.
My skating was less frequent after that but I still skated and some years later I did hours of skating outdoor with a friend of mine on every trail or path we could find. But when the weather got bad and school pressures where rising we had to quit doing that.

Now is the time to get back to it and I'm so excited that quad skates aren't "dead" at all! And I am thrilled that Roller Derby is establishing itself in Holland more and more. And hopefully, this will give me a way to keep moving in a way my doctor can't dislike too much. I'm an asthma patient, specifically when sporting, so I had to quit several sports because it was just to much for my lungs and body. Skating would give me a fun way to move and something I can pick up at my own pace in stead of having to instantly progress as fast as a whole group.

Since import costs to Holland are high and my budget as a student low, I'm trying to find a decent skate that will last until my budget, hopefully, is higher in the future.

I'm a heavy gall, 23 years old, about 5,7 tall I think converted, and I'm sadly out of shape. (time to change that!)
And I already figured out a nylon plate just won't do and it probably won't last me long.

I want to use them outside and hopefully if I find a place indoor too. (of course with different sets of wheels)
At the moment my preference goes to a Sure Grip Rebel skate with Invader or Avenger plating.
I saw a lot of comments on the boot working well with a wide foot, that would be a plus too.
(And, as my nickname might suggests, I'm a sucker for purple, and the possibility on a purple skate is just epic. But functionality before looks & I don't want to get my hopes up too much just yet. )

But any advice on both the skate or tips for wheels, both indoor and out are always welcome!

I found a derby supplies shop in Gent, which is on driving range in Belgium that will soon list Sure-Grip skates next to Riedell and hoping to get them there. *fingers crossed*

Also, are there any other people from Holland here?
Perhaps you would know some nice routes or indoor places I could try.

Thanks!
This post turned out longer than I thought it would be...
Nice to have you here. I hope you find the skates you are looking for. Happy Skating, Again.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #3
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Hello and welcome to SkateLog. For a wide foot, the low cost Rebel boot is a good choice. The Invader or Avenger are good choices as well. They provide very good performance for the money. You say that derby is catching on, and a lot of skating is outdoors. I would go and find some fellow outdoor skaters and find out what they like for an outdoor wheel. The wheel that comes with the Rebel/Invader or Avenger is the Fugitive. It is on the softer side, for indoor use, but may not be soft enough for outdoor use. At least, I have not tried it.

Anyway, it looks like you are looking in a good, and not too costly, direction for you skate equipment. Keep reading and good luck.
Old March 30th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Vyolet

Thank you for the welcomes

Most outdoor skaters here are inline skaters, I checked all local skate-clubs that do outdoor routes and nobody knows anything really about quad wheels.
Most indoor skate places are skateboard and inline skate oriented and are filled with ramps etc.

But I have read up about the fugitive wheels and for indoor, if I find a nice rink, they will do fine. And thinking about Radar Zen or Radar Pure wheels for outdoor use, not sure yet. They also offer the Radar Shadow wheels listed as hybrid, but got lots of reading to do about wheels in general it seems.

Hoping I will receive my tax refund on time, that would sure help the savings.
But unfortunately they are always quicker with bills than they do with paybacks
Old April 3rd, 2012, 04:28 AM   #5
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Hi - - Back At You

Hey Neat Intro Vyolet,

Long, Yet Well Done

At some point you might want to post the same post yet slightly added/altered under the Intro Section.

Yet Hey we skaters are flexible when it comes to newbies/returns.

1) Your weight or size does not matter to me and most of us regulars. I/We have just seen too many big gals get in shape with Derby Skating that it amazes me/us. I mean it is really amazing..

2) For Outdoors describe your path
^ Most here in the USA have smooth blacktop. Yet your paths might be different.

3) Quads vs InLines Outdoors
^ it appears you want to use your quads outdoors. Well I don't like that and would not do it compared to the InLine Experience. YET we got Peter in the UK and others that really like Quads Outdoors. OK I also have some personal skate friends that skate outdoors with quads.

^ So Look at some of Peter's treads. His son is a UK Champ

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:38 PM   #6
KMA

[QUOTE=Vyolet;589433]Hello everyone!

Welcome aboard!!!!

Hopefully before your SEDS gets to bad.

I have not lost much weight skating only about 18 pounds in the last year, but I have gone from a size 16 to a size 8. So. You will gain lots of muscle. I tell people I have compacted my self.

As for not liking nylon I don't either. But as for it being your weight, many say that, but my 68 pound daughter hated her nylon plates, she told me they wiggle funny, and that it was hard to hold an edge. I know they were well adjusted, so I think she meant flex. She was much happier on metal plates.

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #7
Vyolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
At some point you might want to post the same post yet slightly added/altered under the Intro Section.
Oh I seem to have overlooked the intro section? In which part of the forum is it located?
Apologies if I haven't posted my intro on the right spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
1) Your weight or size does not matter to me and most of us regulars. I/We have just seen too many big gals get in shape with Derby Skating that it amazes me/us. I mean it is really amazing..

2) For Outdoors describe your path
^ Most here in the USA have smooth blacktop. Yet your paths might be different.

3) Quads vs InLines Outdoors
^ it appears you want to use your quads outdoors. Well I don't like that and would not do it compared to the InLine Experience. YET we got Peter in the UK and others that really like Quads Outdoors. OK I also have some personal skate friends that skate outdoors with quads.

^ So Look at some of Peter's treads. His son is a UK Champ

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
1) The weightloss would be nice, but it would already be great to get back in shape in general. Less couch potato, more energy, muscle etc And I read some amazing stories about what skating can do, and I can't wait to see how it will turn out on me! And as KMA/Katy posted, I wouldn't mind being compacted at all actually

2) The paths outdoor would be pavements and grey/black asphalt. And I know some bikepaths that had their tiles altered for (inline)skaters in particular, something about smoother edges of the tiles. And I am researching nearby outdoor basketball courts and found atleast one with a gymlike smooth surface too, but I would have to check every time no actual basketballers are occupying it.

For indoor I'm still searching, but I am going to a nearby Derby Scrimmage soon and informing if they have helpfull tips about where to skate nearby

3) I did skate on inlines a lot, but I always longed back to my quads for some reason. Guess there is just something about the feeling that had my preference, can't put my finger on it exactly.
And I sure will look up some treads as you recommanded! thanks!