S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old March 12th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #1
skatekate1982

Unhappy why does this keep happening??

Hi,

I am getting back into roller skating after a fifteen year absence. i have joined a roller derby league and they said they would teach me to skate (which they are, one painful fall on my butt at a time). Anywho, for reasons I do not understand, it takes my body at least half an hour to remember how to skate!! I have been gettting on the skates for a month and I still cannot get my body to just go to the floor and remember to alternate between feet and get going. I pret much just scoot along on one leg, push and glide, and cannot get further than that. Why is it that my body does not want to remember? And why do I still fall on my rear? Is there any way to get rid of the fear of going faster?!!
skatekate1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #2
the california kid

Default Question

how old r u today?
how did u skate?
What type of skating did you do?
Did you compete?
What r u riding ( Quads, inlines, describe)?

There's no sure way to defeat fear. Everyone is different, and that's the number one thing that you have to over come. Your fear is what is holding you back. It takes time to retrain your body. You just cannot jump in and start where you ended 15 years ago. And roller derby is not something you jump in to. The best way to relearn is by doing, falling today was not the same as when you were a kid. The truth is. It hurts a lot more than it did. So you fear it, no one wants to be hurt. Take baby step's. If you go all out you will fail. learn to fly, before you jump off that cliff.
the california kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 06:54 AM   #3
skatekate1982

I am 29. I never skated competitively but I loved to roller skate for fun. I used to whiz around the rink, but now, ermm, I feel like I am starting from the beginning. The skates I am riding are riedell r3 quads. I alternate between energy wheels for outdoors and caymans for indoors (I am a beginner and I though I would upgrade to better wheels in the latter case when I really need it, which is not now.)

Other than that, the league I am skating with has open registration. What this means is that they plan on showing me how to skate and LATER they teach all the jamming and blocking (they are teaching me how to fall right now, and I just learned how to watermelon-picking up a little speed and then using my thighs to glide in and out to maintain momentum.). The good news is that they do not intend to let me try for the WFTDA test until next November or later,so I have time.
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:16 AM   #4
inlina
ABEC42

Have your ever been a skateboarder?!?!

You need to go back to basics with the roller skating to get both sides of you body working together. Marching and duck walks sound like where you need to start. You may feel a bit goofie doing this as an adult that used to skate, but it will help get your co-ordination back.

I have no idea what derby leagues teach their fresh meat, but from the quality of newb derby girl skating I see in this part of the world it has me a little concerned.

CG
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #5
inlina
ABEC42

Sorry...should have added some videos to a previous post. Have a look at some of Joe Enthor's vids on his YouTube channel, starting here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7g5xKsuPwg

There are a few others covering further basics. Another one that may be worth you looking at is scissors vs. marching...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI_xIa4VUqs

I left scissors (aka swizzles) out of my last post too. The combination of scissors with marching/duck walking is ultimately what ends up as the skating stroke.

CG
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #6
Big Nick
Straight 'outta Coburg

First thing you need to do is get rid of the Caymans, they will hold you back big time.
When yo order new wheels order some Sure Grip blue barrel/conic cushions.
These two things will massively improve your skates.
In the meantime, keep low, bend your knees get your knees over your toes and your shoulders over your knees.
Old March 12th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #7
skatekate1982

I already am doing the scissor. That is the same thing as a watermelon.

I can also do the march already; in fact, the coach has sent me to the wall for doing that too much.

I tend to fall down when I lose control of my feet or go too fast.
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #8
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Some Thoughts for Returning Skater to Derby

Hi kate,

Nick, CG(InLina), ,

Let me add to the others one time.

Falling so much: Not too sure what is going on and since with those Caymans, you are not on the same wheels or even boot/plates as your youth.

1) Might be your brain is remembering the old feel of your youth, yet those caymans stick so much that when you push or try to easy glide, you lose your balance. For a brand new skater gal this isn't a problem since they have no brain memory. Some still fall an awful lot. Anyway have seen this effect of a former skater(a guy) going from the R3 back to regular skates and then skating much much better. I mean he really improved with one outing. BTW sounds simple yet Big Nick does write about good skate posture. Sometimes I say sit back like going down onto the toilet. Actually this is also good posture for squats. You are not supposed to look down yet if you can train yourself to this position it might help.

2) CG (InLina) should have remembered to tell you to walk / skate on the rug at the rink. His parents used to teach skating in Australia. Usually that is another trick to help beginning skaters if the rink is set up with a slow skate rug. Buffalo-Joe's place appears to be of the older style rinks and doesn't appear to have that set up. Joe does have some good tutorials. The advantage of the rug for you is you might be able to keep moving one foot and then the other and not falling. ReBuilding that old youth memory. On some of those rugs you can skate pretty fast and we use them to buzz by a skater when they crowd you out of the rink floor at the last moment.

3)How is your Outdoor Skating? Same falling problem or are you better outside?

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

P.S. Should not be posting,
P.S-2: Again sorry for not responding to PMs or other Treads.

Edit-01: Is your floor gritty/dirty/slippery or your wheels cruddy. Still not sure why you are slipping out on Caymans since it can be for many reasons.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; March 12th, 2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: One more thought
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #9
skatekate1982

actually, I am having as much trouble on pavement. I tried to just scoot around in my driveway but went ass over teakettle on to my back and bottom. I plan on going out today to try again.
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #10
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatekate1982 View Post
I already am doing the scissor. That is the same thing as a watermelon.

I can also do the march already; in fact, the coach has sent me to the wall for doing that too much.

I tend to fall down when I lose control of my feet or go too fast.
Falling comes from being out of balance and not being able to recover. The stock cushions tend to be hard and tightened down very tight. You could try to loosen your cushions some. You could loosen each king pin nut until it is jiggly, and the re-tighten so that it is not loose and sloppy, but also not overly tight. Ideally, you should get some Sure Grip urethane cushions to replace your current cushions. This will allow you to use the turning action of the skate to more easily correct for out of balance situations. Having the action tightened down too much can hurt a beginning skater.
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #11
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Short Forward?

Quick One since you are also doing this outside.

Do you have a Short Forward Mount?

Show several pictures of your skates. Far Away, Side View, Magnified view of each kingpin area, etc. I probably won't answer yet we have many many skaters who know a lot, and can pick a picture apart.

BTW, Normally the R3 is not Short Forward, yet stuff can happen. It could explain why backwards outdoors. I mean other things could be also in play.

P.S. Again try to use the guidance Nick gave you and even try it off skates in terms of posture.
Old March 12th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #12
Skatervideoguy

Hi skatekate1982,

Other's have already spoken to the numerous options for why you're encountering the issues you've asked about, my concern would be your protection strategy.

I would hope that the Derby League has already insisted that you wear Knee Pads, Hip and Tail Bone Pads, Elbow and Wrist Guards and a Helmet when you Skate practice. If not, then I suggest that you do.

Your fear of injury is quite justified, especially on todays Coated Concrete and Asphalt Floors - and in particular if you're trying to practice on bare concrete (like your Drive Way). I've seen hundreds of debilitating and Skate ending injuries over the last 50 yrs, most of which could have been either reduced or prevented by the proper use of protective gear. It does take some of the Fear out of Falling and it has certainly worked for me (sans the Helmet and Wrist Guards) - and has kept me Skating all these decades - and I don't do Derby.

Harold
Old March 12th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #13
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Other Health Issues/Concerns

Hi One last time skatekate1982,
(Crossing my fingers)

As I walked around doing stuff I though are we (SLF) members asking all the right questions. Normally we focus on common skating stuff. E.G. Harold added a GREAT point for all your skating. To be honest I would start getting worried about your tail bone and maybe using CrashPads under your outside stuff. I am assuming you are wearing your Derby Helmet outside and maybe your teeth guard.

Anyway, Health Issues, Dizziness, Ear Problems, Other: Basically any other contributors to a former youth gal skater that used to easily roll around the rink as a youth? Over the years Harold, I, others have known many great young gal skaters.

P.S. Again apologize for not posting on other treads.
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #14
Mr Exotica

Kate,

Most of our derby girls tend to skate standing too high. If you can skate in a speed stance (it will take a while), you'll be more stable, skate faster with less effort, and harder to knock over.

I take a speed and technique class. After 30+ years of skating, taking a class taught me to skate better.

Our instructor teaches form before speed.

First priority: Have fun!
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #15
okie

Exclamation Its so simple its silly!

I could teach you in 15 minutes! And I have been doing it for over 20 years,
MY WAY>

You need a guy that can skate. I mean a guy that can skate.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is required!! no way around it.

You are going to couple skate,side by side. Close together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He stands on your left side,you put your right hand behind your back,he holds with his right hand.

Heres where you get your platform to prevent falling.

He places his left hand,palm up, out in front of you and you place your left hand here in his. Grip here tight against his.

You now have a stable platform to hold on to as you skate.
round & round.

When you slip and want to fall,you use your LEFT hand to hold your self up using his left hand as a platform. There right out in front of you. Apply pressure against his hand. You will get it real quick. A stable MOVING platform.

Keep holding his right hand with your right hand behind your back. You are surrounded by hands. As you roll.

Now skating,side by side. He "says" as you skate,push push and step step in the turns,you do this on his commands. You keep your feet in time with his,crossover steps to.

You will be up to speed quickly and be doing it with stability.

15 minutes and you will get the body moving motion down real quick.
okie
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #16
Offkilter

After reading through to posts. I noticed one bit of advice that seems to be missing in particular...

STRETCHING before you skate..this seems to improve muscle memory alot.

also remember to keep your weight forward..you should be getting blisters/calluses on the balls of your feet unless you have a really awesome boots...

good luck and remember to breath when things go wrong.
Old March 14th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #17
BionicBug

first, you need to ditch the caymans - I have r3's for now too, but as soon as I got new wheels, my skating improved 100%! the caymans are the worst wheel ever! you'd probably be better off using your outdoor wheels all the time than skating on the caymans.

next, get softer cushions and loosen your trucks abit

third - just keep skating as much as you can! the only way to get back in the hang of it, is to just keep skating! if you're going backwards when you fall, sounds like you're not squatted or leaning forwards enough, so try to work on your posture.

try to relax, just keep practicing, and have fun with it!

and ... unfortunately, things are harder the older you are, lol!! 29 isn't old by any means (I'm only 31), but I was floored by how much harder it is to skate at 30 than it was at 15! your body knows falling is going to hurt, and just plain doesn't want to do it! you just have to convince your brain it'll be ok, and once you get past that, you'll probably stay on your feet better!

last - make sure you have some good pads! if it doesn't hurt to fall, you won't worry about it as much!
BionicBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 04:26 AM   #18
Skatervideoguy

Hi BionicBug & skatekate1982,

Quote:
and ... unfortunately, things are harder the older you are, lol!! 29 isn't old by any means (I'm only 31), but I was floored by how much harder it is to skate at 30 than it was at 15! your body knows falling is going to hurt, and just plain doesn't want to do it! you just have to convince your brain it'll be ok, and once you get past that, you'll probably stay on your feet better!

last - make sure you have some good pads! if it doesn't hurt to fall, you won't worry about it as much!
Just wait till you hit 65, makes 29 and 31, look and feel like Child's Play. But it's still fun as Hell - if you can keep it up !!

Harold
Old March 18th, 2012, 06:02 AM   #19
skatekate1982

Default Updates updates

Okay, folks, skatekate here, back with updates:

First off, to alleviate fears, I definitely am wearing gear: I have a triple 8 helmet on my head, a boil-and-use mouthguard in my mouth, elbow pads, wrist pads, and knee pads and I fully intend to buy myself a nice pair of butt pads (more on why later.) I certainly would be a fool to just go out there with nothing on, esp. surrounded by derby people. Other than that, I am looking to upgrade to a good pair of kneepads because I know the rollerblade brand I got is not going to cut the mustard for long. My league recommends 187s and scabs, but unfortunately I am POOR. Does anyone know a brand that is comparable in quality but not as expensive? (The league has a ban on triple 8 knee-pads, btw.)

Second, I found out why I was having such a hard time on my driveway: in a word, the damn thing is a deathtrap. It has loads of uneven patches, cracks, and a slight incline to it that I noticed when I put a tennis ball on the surface and it rolled all by itself. Not good. I tried to skate over the cracks but found this was not a good strategy if all my skates were going to do was roll away with me in weird directions. Since the experiment, I have switched to my local tennis court and am contemplating the running track behind the high school.

Third, I went to practice last Monday and started to skate a little better. I find that stickier outdoor wheels on a wood floor is a good thing for me because the wheels don't get away from me as easy. I am alternating juuuust fine now. However, naturally, now I have NEW PROBLEMS.

Here is a list of the things they ask of me at practice:

1) Jumps (I have to jump from a low derby position and stay on the wheels; I currently can't do this from a low position and can basically just hop.)

2) A weird variation on the scissors where they want me to cross one foot in front and then take the other and put it back (I feel like a pretzel)

3) Leg outs (Imagine being in derby form, for those who know what this is, and they ask you to put one leg way out and back while staying on a steady course.)

4) Derby posture upon my toe stops for 5 minutes with butt abutting the wall ( I might add that I am having trouble sustaining derby posture for too long and though they tell me to always get lower the thing I don't understand is how to control myself when I am that low, because I could swear I have my knees bent, my butt out, and my chest upů.but I STILL fall backwards. I can skate now, but no control. Oy ve!)

5) And ironically, the last thing, the thing I am DYING to figure out: HOW TO STOP. I was making the coach mad because I insisted upon being near the wall while we were practicing stops. Why was I near the wall, you ask?-Because it is the one thing that can stop me quickly if I make a mistake. I can do the dragging toe stop thing, but that is not encouraged because it is not useful in derby and sometimes I am going too fast to get my foot out behind me in time.

I am having real trouble doing the plow stop and the t stop, and I know I have to do both because I need to be able to stop properly (I can do the drag toestop thing but I need something that slows me down a lot quicker plus the toestop is not what they want.) I can almost get the t stop foot behind me but I can't seem to plant it properly, so down I go; my only other way to stop is to use the edge of my skate and drag it behind me. With the plow stop, all I can say is OUCH. My coach keeps telling me to get lower, always get lower, and I really am trying to listen, but if I do the getting low thing on a plow stop I wind up falling hard (the same thing incidentally happens with the weird scissors variation) I can't seem to get my legs to open that far and keep my balance, my legs seem to roll away from me. I hurt myself so bad at the last practice on this move that I had to crawl to the bench and sit with a big wad of ice up where the sun don't shine for the rest of practice (guess where my skate went when I landed on itů. and yes, I had to drive home like that, too.)

I need to know how to stop. SOON. I tried to practice this afternoon at the tennis court and skated like I was scared again. I also hit a roadblock because I couldn't stop myself properly and had real problems: I was scared of injuring myself again and thus couldn't do some of the drills we practiced (if I skated and fell on my rear, there would be no ice.) The last thing the coach said to me before I left was that he saw me having trouble getting low and that I was thinking too much when I should just throw myself into doing itůeasier said than done, pal; I throw myself into it and I fall again, so at least this way I can think and test what I am doing wrong so as NOT to fall. I am getting buttpads ASAP, because I don't think I can take another practice with a wad of ice up my bottom and a bruised ego.

Now, if there is anybody out there with advice on how to help me, please speak up!!

PS-Where exactly are the trucks on my skates? I don't know.
Old March 18th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #20
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatekate1982 View Post
PS-Where exactly are the trucks on my skates? I don't know.
http://quadskating.com/skates/anatomy-quad-skate.htm

http://quadskating.com/skates/roller-skate-trucks.htm

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote