S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old March 1st, 2012, 03:21 AM   #21
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Child / Shins

Hi Master,

How about a combo approach for him: Do a little of the rolling around the rink in a wheelchair/whatever. The advantage is that they get to go round and round and be part of the action on the floor. If the rink has some games with sock feet like the cat_man_do, , , let him go out an play in the center without skates. How about putting skates on him and restricting him to the carpet area just to walk.

Your Shins: It appears that Skating is just aggravating something that was there before you restarted skating. Why did your mom point to the Achilles tendon? Does she know something about your feet.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003177.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shi...ents-and-drugs
^ The Mayo clinic is web weak now compared to 10 years ago

Good Fortunes, Yours in Skating, MA/NY SkatingDave
Old March 1st, 2012, 10:56 PM   #22
Master.Discord

Good ideas, I'll chat with the wife about it. None of the rinks in our area have any sock-foot games, most barely do anything besides all-skate. Maybe one limbo, red-light-green-light, or reverse skate per session at most. Wife is hoping son's balance will be better once we get his cataracts taken care of in a couple months.

Mom had achilles problems from wearing high-heels for many years then going mostly barefoot. It doesn't give me any problem at all, I can stand/walk/run without any weight on my heels.

Did end up going to the rink last night, and again this morning XD Fun stuff, though my legs aren't happy. Tried out Sunrise Rollerland this morning, GREAT floor, IMO. Great decor too, matches my love for medievalism. Wife got set up on the Million Mile Skate program, skate four sessions get one free. She can do morning adult sessions while the kid and I go to class, if she wants to. We're moving this summer, and looking into the complex DIRECTLY across the street from Sunrise. lol Better than a gym membership.

Their skates were a lot better maintained than most, but I think the inside front bearings were dirty. Both front-inside wheels would spin down in about half the time the other six did. Everything would be fine, then I'd feel like I rolled over my laces, even though they were out of the way. The left one sounded like 'rubber bands' in the turns, it was weird. In one straight-away, it even stopped rolling for a second. Almost face planted me! Otherwise, they were pretty nice. Wheels matched the floor well, no uneven slippage or weirdness, clean wheels. Apparently they even keep track of which pairs the regulars-who-rent rent and keep them nice. The high top on the boot was uncomfortable, as I like to actually MOVE my ankles, the rigid upper made it difficult even when I only laced to the base of the ankle, but otherwise they were quite nice to skate. Some of the figure-skaters freaked my wife out, she's still a wall hugger, but she was doing better today. Anyway, they were doing lots of swirly skating when there was room, rather than going with the flow, and they'd swoop in a yard or so ahead of her and scare her. I'm trying to help her understand they're quite skilled, they're not going to run into her.

Last edited by Master.Discord; March 1st, 2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: detail on skates
Master.Discord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 04:19 AM   #23
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Suggest some center games

Hi Master.D

How about suggesting some center dancing games. Living up here in Mass I have seen them done on Skates and on Stocking feet. The young gals, moms, younger boys, and sometimes dads go out and participate.

It has always amazed me how weak skaters can do these games, and do them really well even if on skates. Here are 4 yet I know more

1>Katmando: Geez can't find it fast yet it is very common in skate rinks
^-Note it appears with the Internet reaching the masses India/Pakistan/Others are listed in higher priority
2>The Electric Slide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oV6DoIGiuw
3>The Chicken Dance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UV3kRV46Zs
Shoot never realized this went back to Lawrence Welk. I used to watch him when very young
I am sure you can find a better you tube clip with young kids, yet it seems like you have to work harder than years ago
4>The Cha Cha Slide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZv62ShoStY

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Edit-01: I wished I could have give you a clip of the Katmando on Socks or Skates. Anyway No One is Perfect in the center floor doing these dances, and that is the beauty of being in a crowd of learners. Anyway other rinks do these dances SO they might agree.
Edit-02: The Welker of Lawrence fame

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; March 2nd, 2012 at 04:27 AM. Reason: No One is Perfect or FEW; LawrenceW/Other
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 05:10 PM   #24
Master.Discord

TYVM, those are cool. We went back to Sunrise Rollerland last night and had a blast, the rink is so much nicer than the others in the area, though they're not too shabby. Of course, there was a kids' party going on so the place was packed with waist-high children, but it cleared out somewhat when their party got started. Most of them were pretty wobbly on their skates. I felt bad so I had to show them it's okay to fall down. I tangled up my wheels and kissed the floor pretty good. Came up laughing like a nut though. Knee is a little sore today.

We drop the son off at his step-sister's house on most Fridays, so we got to skate just the two of us. Anyway, Sunrise actually did activities like the Cha-Cha slide and a few others. I didn't jump in because I usually needed a break right when the DJ called the activity, but it was fun to watch. Maybe next time.

Got the same type of skates as last time, the boots resemble something for inlines but they work. This time I had good bearings on all the wheels and I was going like crazy. Other than my demonstration in falling, they worked splendidly. The toe box is a bit too open so my right toe was hurting at the end of the night, but it's all good. Sunrise even took our shoes at the skate-room so we didn't need a locker! Sweet.

Endurance is up and I'm starting to grasp some movements I struggled with before. I didn't know you can actually push your foot FORWARD and still gain momentum. That was a cool trick. Did quite a few one-foot turns and generally practiced my balance. Felt like I could actually kinda dance to the music without eating hardwood. Got the T-stop down much better, and taught my wife how to slow down - her usual way being to grab onto the wall or squeak in terror as she tries to avoid a group of oblivious teens. One guy out there was amazing, great to watch during the Cha-cha. Looked like a pro, that's for sure.

Overall, we're definitely looking to visit that rink more often. Lighting is kinda dated, but that keeps it from getting too distracting. Good pizza there too. It IS a little farther than our other rinks, but the drive is worth it for better session choices, better skates, better floor and better atmosphere.
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #25
Salamanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master.Discord;581366D
I'll consolidate details tomorrow, just got back from an SCA tournament and a big medieval feast. Am I a nerd? Yes. Yes I am.
Don't worry, you aren't the only one

On the topic of shin pain; I quite often get bad shin splints and I have an achilles tendon injury that gets pretty unbearable if I let my calves and anterior shin muscles get too tight. I bought The Stick and use it daily. I also take it to practice with me just in case and it has made a world of difference. I honestly didn't expect it to be as awesome as it is. It wasn't cheap but it's cheaper than the sports massages I was having to have every two to four weeks.
Old March 4th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #26
KMA

Master discord I just noticed that you are from Sacramento. I will be at sunrise this coming Wednesday for a "conference" and Im skating the night sessioin with some other loggers we would love to see you.

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #27
Master.Discord

Talking

Thanks Salamanda, if things don't shape up here soon, I'll take that into consideration. Nice garb! Actually that outfit looks a lot like my wife's favorite cote, but your build is quite different.

If the weather is nice I usually go to fighter practice on Wednesday nights, but I might have to make an exception to meet some fellow loggers. Not like I have my armor together anyway. :s So much fun stuff, so little money. XD

I'll probably be wearing my black Test Drive 5 shirt that says "Bigger Badder Faster" on it, and trying not to look too silly. I end up sitting on the mushrooms and stretching about half the session, so feel free to say hello. (Macgyver hair and glasses, if that helps.)

Anyway, the wife and I went to Sunrise again this afternoon, lots of kids and parents for birthdays, sadly I was probably one of the better skaters out there. Didn't feel the need to do any crashing like last time, which was a blessing. I found out their skates in size 9 fit my feet better than 10s, but they HURT my legs. I mean BAD. I swapped them out for some 10s and the pain just evaporated. After a few songs, I noticed the right front wheels were acting wonky... I stopped and checked and the right front pivot cup was worn through! Traded em in for another set of 10s and the left rear cup was worn through! I showed the guy at the window and he was kinda surprised (they USUALLY take good care of their skates) and he gave me what looked like a BRAND NEW pair of 10s and said "If you're not happy, I'm not happy." I just wanted to make sure it got fixed so an inexperienced skater wouldn't get tripped up by wonky trucks.

The brand new 10s were heavenly to skate on, easily better than any other rental I've tried. Where I had almost been unable to get off the rink on my own earlier in the session, I was able to do the Hokey Pokey and lots of other fun stuff in the new skates. Got to hold wifey's hand for the couples songs and she did great. Surprisingly, no kids were crushed by our combined klutziness. I JUST missed the Cha Cha Slide, maybe next time.

Still a bit sore from beefing it on Friday. Knee is just tender when I kneel or poke it. My upper right arm took the brunt of the fall (I tucked my shoulder to avoid landing on my face), but even that is only sore when I raise it or lift something. No toe pain today, despite the trouble with the skates.
Old March 8th, 2012, 06:02 AM   #28
Master.Discord

Thumbs down

Well, we tried with J (our son) but it didn't work out. We asked if we could get a set of adult skates with the wheels adjusted like the little kids' skates that don't roll, but even those were too much for him. It's a lot easier for a lil kid to fall and get up again than a 200lb adult with really bad balance. He did FAR better than I guessed he would, but it was just too dangerous for him.

Wow the rink was full, and I know I won't be back on Wednesday nights to that rink anymore. Free for all, just not my style. I understand people wanting to have fun, but I wanted to have fun too. Even though I can make it through the average session without falling, I felt really unsafe out there. No one seemed to get hurt, but the wife and I felt like we were being told "experts only" tonight. The ref was fooling around with one of the ladies, fiddling with his phone on the rink (when the ref doesn't follow the rules, why bother?) and it just looked dangerous in general. There should be a warning. Whine, piss, moan. XD

I'm just ticked, I spent the last three days looking forward to my session and I feel like I got ripped off, paid for the three of us to skate for the evening. and really only got about a half-hour of skating in. If it were our first time back skating, we'd never be back, that's for sure. Thankfully, we know other sessions are more tolerable. Honestly, I'd rather skate with the kiddie-party crowd. Maybe I'll cut class and skate with the retirees in the morning.

It wouldn't have been so bad if the DJ had called occasional Dance Only songs, Slow/Couple songs, Noob or Expert only songs, or what have you, but it was just two-and-a-half hours of mostly (c(forgive me but I like a few songs here and there))rap and around, dodge, around, whoops watch out for that guy dancing backwards, around, AAAH! zoom, eat their dust, around.

Skates were okay, though my right one felt squirrely again, and it seemed like I had brand new wheels on the front and old, dirty wheels on the back of both skates. I can't wait til I can get my own skates. Anyone know the best (fastest?) place to get the Rebel Invader/Avenger to California? None of the rinks seem to sell them that I have seen.

I'm done whining, hopefully I'll be able to get out and have fun again soon. That was very depressing, even ice cream didn't cheer me up.
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #29
okie

Exclamation First of all Lets just start with some facts!

ALL rental skates are made so you can't skate. They do not want you to go to fast or do to many different things.

Your just supposed to go round and round. Skate once or twice a year.

If you really wanted to skate? You would have your own skates.

SHIN PAIN> it is ONLY caused by ONE thing that you are doing.!!!!

You shin bone is being used as A long shovel handle for you hips and knees.

The only way you will stop this pain completely, is you need to have the full motion range of your ANKLE BALL. When you cover your ankle ball with a boot you lock your foot,then to move the skate across the floor and turn your SHIN bone trys to lever over. No movement of your ankle.

Made even worse by rentals truck or no truck action to help you turn and keep the wheels on the floor. Your knee is doing most of the work and the shin bone is doing the lifting and pushing.

Even a cheap $150 skate package (Speed Boot type) will improve your skating and help relieve the pain. You adjust for your needed truck action and it is only for your body.

A boot with a flat heel will give you more natural balance and aboot that has the lowest ankle ball cover will give you more range with your foot taking away the lever effect on your shins.

Until you get away from the rentals you will not progress much. this is there intent.
okie
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #30
Pinhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
SHIN PAIN> it is ONLY caused by ONE thing that you are doing.!!!!

You shin bone is being used as A long shovel handle for you hips and knees.....When you cover your ankle ball with a boot you lock your foot....No movement of your ankle.
Wow....glad I have been following this thread! I get shin pain not long after putting on my (inline) skates, but as I loosen up and get more comfortable, it goes away. I skate an 8 mile trail and it never returns, so it must be me getting into a more proper position as I get loose.

This makes TOTAL sense to me! Thanks Okie
Pinhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #31
Master.Discord

You know, that also sorta explains why size 9 skates hurt my legs, but size 10s don't. The 9s are a snug fit, so my feet can't move the way I'm accustomed to in a 9.5 shoe. Add the hard, inline-style boot on the rentals, nice overall but as Okie said - overagressive ankle support. Probably geared for new skaters with 'weak ankles'.

I tend to lace the high-top boots only to the bend of my ankle, for this very reason.

Ordered my Rebels from Leadjammer and I'm impatient! lol I ordered them last week, but my e-mail put Gino's response in my spam folder. So... the order just got placed yesterday.
Old March 21st, 2012, 12:03 AM   #32
Master.Discord

WOO HOO!

My skates came today. I checked with Gino yesterday and he said they didn't have the shipping info from Sure-Grip yet, so it was a huge surprise!

I'm SO glad I got the 10s, 9 would have been too small, despite the size calculator Leadjammer provided. I thought it might go like that, I'm happy with my decision.

The wheels are the red Fugitives, which are WAY bigger than I expected from rolling the rink rentals. The wheels look about half-again as big, but that's cool. I'm gonna check the trucks to be sure they're set the same, I can already tell they're gonna be interesting on the rink, just wearing em on the carpet here at home is fun. Doing 360s in my tiny kitchen.

Lacing em up zipper-style, avoiding the top grommets I've heard tend to break on Rebels. They're SO LIGHT! Probably gonna stencil some flames on em or something eventually, I got the black, hoping to do something fancy. Maybe the Superman 'S' in UV sensitive paint. XD

I do have to remove the graphics on the wheels. Lame girly pink stripes on them. *bleurgh*

Anyway, the other day the wife and I went to the afternoon skate at Rollerland which was a blast. They did the Hokey Pokey, Cha Cha, Limbo and a Fast Skate. Mostly it was a lot of kids, but it was better than a LOT of adults, many of which were not as good as they'd like to think. <me> I went out for the Fast Skate, and this little boy, about 5 or 6 calls out "YOU'RE gonna skate?" "Sure, why not? I like going fast" "But you're gonna WIN?!" "It's not a race." XD Heckled by a first grader.

I got tripped up by a couple kids with no business out on the Fast Skate, but I ended up only getting outpaced by one teen with his own skates. Not too bad for a newb on rentals, I'd say. I bet I'd keep up with him on these babies. >
Old March 21st, 2012, 01:24 AM   #33
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

Very cool! Please give us a review once you get them to the rink.

The tongues on rebels are a problem to break in. I experienced quite a bit of pain with mine, until I got serious with it.

i.e. slathered them with hair gel and alcohol to soften them, and store them rolled up and folded up in various ways until I finally got them to conform to my feet. Now they are perfect.
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 01:44 AM   #34
Master.Discord

LOL That was the FIRST thing negative I noticed.

I've been wearing them around the house and I'm getting a little discomfort in the arch of my foot, I think there's an insole sort of cushion, but because it's not broke in yet, it's making my arch work harder than usual. I have unusually strong arches, though.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 02:00 AM   #35
Master.Discord

Well, got to skate them for the first time this morning, the morning Adult Skate at Rollerland. They took some getting used to, and the shin pain was back with a vengeance. Couldn't stay on the floor for more than one song at a time. I felt foolish watching all the retirees go by with me sitting there rubbing my legs.

Anyway, I found something that MIGHT point to a cause. There was NO discomfort from my toes at all, but it felt like the ball of my foot was further from the floor than my heel. That is an ODD feeling, and it was really doing a number on my legs. The rebel boot doesn't put ANY pressure on my ankles or calves, like the rentals did, so it can't be that.

It got to feeling like I couldn't lift my toes on the return stride (leg coming forward) after each push. I ended up hitting the toe-stop on the floor when I couldn't lift the toe of the skate a couple of times, one of which took me off my feet. Of course, it scrubbed a good inch-and-a-half of the shiny leather surface off my right boot. I swear it peeled off like rubbery spray paint. Ah well, the leather seems to be intact so I don't mind the battle scar.

I'm wondering if I need more of a heel than these have. Other than that problem with my shins, the skates were really fun. I followed a video to make sure everything was calibrated for the first run. It seemed like the bearings were either too tight (wheel would hand-spin but stop after a second or two) or I'd feel a gentle 'tap-tap' on each revolution when they were too loose. 1/8 turn or less between the two. Finally hit the sweet spot on most of them, I think. Every so often it'd feel like the wheel bound up for a second and I'd feel like I was falling, then it'd right itself.

It didn't take me long to figure if I put my weight too far back, my skates would try to take off without me. XD No falls from that problem though, just the shin troubles again. :s
Old March 26th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #36
Master.Discord

Went to Adult Skate at "The Rink" last night, and much to my surprise, my wheels actually stuck well to their floor. They just have the WRONG wheels on their rental skates, apparently.

Overall the skate was fun, but my ankles were NOT cooperating. I pushed myself and got an hour of 'floor time' during the 2.5 hour session. Could barely stay on my feet by the end of the session. I'm pretty sure it is my Tibialis Anterior that is bugging me, it feels like a really bad buildup of lactic acid, rather than a strain or stress on the muscle itself.

I iced my right leg before bed and then put a heating pad on it afterwards, to see if it helped. Today I have a little tiredness in those muscles, but no more than a normal "I worked out" tiredness, no lingering pain or anything. Usually it will sort itself out after a ten-minute break at the rink, but that means I'm five minutes on, ten minutes off, which is a major bummer.

Still can't skate backward worth beans, but it's improving a tiny bit at a time.

The skates themselves are actually very comfortable. I'm thinking of getting some insoles to SEE if they fix the leg issue, but I'm not counting on it.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:44 AM   #37
Master.Discord

Grr.

Still having significant fatigue and burning in my shins whenever I'm skating. I can only seem to skate for about five minutes before it starts getting really uncomfortable, and maybe another five before I have trouble lifting my feet and keeping them from spazzing out on me. Rest for five or ten minutes and I'm fine again, until I skate for five or ten minutes. :s I've been skating three to four times a week lately, and there doesn't really seem to be any improvement from session to session.

There's no pain between sessions, maybe a little stiffness I'd expect from any vigorous physical exercise. No foot pain, no problems anywhere but right in my anterior tibialis. It doesn't even really act like the 'shin splints' I've heard and read about.

I've been using some small silicone arch supports, but they haven't seemed to help much, perhaps a little. I'd say that loosening the trucks has made the discomfort a little more bearable, but I've already loosened them to the point where I can't really control them if I go any further. Where they are, I can slalom with all wheels on the floor, and there aren't any threads showing on my front trucks.

I'm planning to get myself a set of firm insoles (not the 'gellin' ones) and see how they do. My boots feel fine, so I'm a bit puzzled here. Is there any chance I need more of a heel between the boot and the plate? I've tried heel supports and they do not make any improvement.

Blah. I'll keep going, but it's getting to be a real pain. Literally. Even the parents on rentals that can barely stay standing can stay on the rink longer than I can. I can't even seem to get through a whole song at times.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:19 AM   #38
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

Could still be just inappropriate foot tension, do you ever find yourself not standing flat, foot spread out and relaxed in the skate? Or even directly trying to twist the skate to go in the intended direction. Maybe try "skating lazy" as much as possible.

But I also wonder if your electrolytes are all they should be? Not low in magnesium? Or potassium, Or even salt? All of this can add to muscle cramps, and the inability to let muscles relax after use.
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:44 AM   #39
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Shin Off Skate Exercises.

Hey

My first thought with all your posts is that you need to do some off skate exercises. Read also about Shin Splits.

Back in a Bit

Yours in Skating.

P.S. BTW for your son I got the one center floor song wrong. It is the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIP_VFXdIJQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HYYpWMR6ZY

Again the beauty of the song and the kids in the middle is that it doesn't matter how good you are at the dance. Yes I have seen mentally handicapped dance this song.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 03:56 AM   #40
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default You need ankle, shin, knee PT

Hey The Doctor is OnBoard

I wish I could give you all the pictorials for exercises I have used over the years and am doing now for my left knee cap (slip slid in Feb2011) and whatever was going on with the Left Leg's MCL. I have so many exercises it is ridiculous. It is almost like an obsession to find a new exercise and incorporate it during the week.

Anyway get some PT exercises for that area of your body and start doing them religiously every day.

YOU Might also think about getting a check up and Blood Work. To ME, something seems off and might be some underlying medical problem.

Tell the Doctor he can send the referral fee to SkateLog.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave