S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:47 PM   #1
Master.Discord

Default My questions and skate log - was 'shin pain?'

The wife and I have been skating a few times in the last few weeks and seem to be sticking with it, me a little more than her. I played hockey on quads when I was ten, and used to skate well, but it's been a long time. I'm finding I get a lot of discomfort in my shins (outside) after about ten minutes on the rink.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm rolling rentals for now and this is getting frustrating. The technique is coming back but this pain is getting in my way.

It feels like I can't lift my toes. Mom said it was my achilles, but it's the opposite movement.

Last edited by Master.Discord; March 1st, 2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Thread digressed, might as well keep it all in one place.
Master.Discord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:58 PM   #2
Skatervideoguy

Hi Master.Discord,

You don't mention what type of Skates and Boots you skated in when you were young. Aside from your legs and ankles being "out of shape", those Rental Skates may have less than proper support (bum Boots and/or Plates) and the Trucks are likely to be set too tight (takes more strength to move them than it should), and the Wheels may be either too tight - or too loose to the Floor. Any, or all, those factors could result in the discomfort you're experiencing.

Staying with it, should increase your strength, but you'll have to get your own Skates to properly resolve the Boot, Plate, Trucks and Wheels issues.

Harold

Last edited by Skatervideoguy; February 22nd, 2012 at 04:43 AM.
Skatervideoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:15 PM   #3
Master.Discord

Thanks, I didn't want to blame the equipment. I think its mostly fatigue, but thought I'd check.

I was in quads back then but I have no idea what they were. (:

Three different rinks, two coated plywood(?) and one maple. Three different skates. My faves are styled like my regular shoes. I also ended up with an odd bruise under the first knuckle of my big toe. I feel like I push with my toes I think. It doesn't hurt in the morning but it gets sore by the end of a session.

I'll just enjoy myself for now. I want to get some skates but I don't know what if any type I want. :s
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:59 PM   #4
Larry_PA
When life was simple

Don t forget the basics...bend your knees. Skating unlike bike riding does not come back as easily. There is more technique with skating that you forget over the years. When you were 10 you were having fun, now that you are older you have to just relax a little more. The more you skate, your muscles will develop the memory they had when you were younger.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:20 AM   #5
Master.Discord

Yeah, I've pretty much got my forward slow, forward fast, crossover, and counter-clockwise 180 back, but I haven't figured out how to skate backward more than a few feet yet. Bending the knees is getting easier, the first time out my thighs were pretty wimpy but they're getting better.

I'm having a lot of fun, so far I've just laughed the few times I crashed. Embarrassing but I know it's gonna happen. It's not so bad when I see the hot-shot trick skaters falling down too.

Just today I tried out the maple floor at Foothill Skate Inn after class - we usually skate at The Rink/formerly King's here in Sacramento. It was super quiet, maybe ten kids and their parents. Wide open floor, comfy skates. A little disconcerting when I could hear the floor creaking though!
Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:48 AM   #6
waterpolorox

i suggest you see a doctor for that, especially if it's a sharp pain :/

dull pains usually indicate more of a problem with technique, but you're getting it after only 10 minutes? do seek medical attention!
waterpolorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:49 PM   #7
Master.Discord

Nah, just a burning sensation like lactic acid buildup in the muscle, with a little mild soreness the next day. Thought someone might have insight on something I'm doing wrong, or perhaps an insole support of some sort that would help. It looks like I just gotta keep trucking.

It seemed to be less pronounced when I took out the little gel pad I added to protect mah big toe, so the two are probably connected. Thanks
Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:16 AM   #8
Robbie101
Pacer 600 AtA-600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master.Discord View Post
Nah, just a burning sensation like lactic acid buildup in the muscle, with a little mild soreness the next day. Thought someone might have insight on something I'm doing wrong, or perhaps an insole support of some sort that would help. It looks like I just gotta keep trucking.

It seemed to be less pronounced when I took out the little gel pad I added to protect mah big toe, so the two are probably connected. Thanks
Not trying to high jack here but mine get really really tight feeling, is that some what how yours feels?
Robbie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #9
Master.Discord

Yeah, like if I'm sitting with my thigh parallel to the floor and my shin straight up and down, I get to where I can't lift my toes. Bare-footed and rested I can get my toes 2-3 inches off the floor.

If I sit down, chat, rub my legs, listen to a song or two - they'll loosen up some and I can skate another song or two before I feel like I can't lift my skates off the floor anymore. (Shuffling doesn't seem to help, my legs don't like me to skate slow!)

Now that I think about it, it's almost exactly the same feeling I used to get when I had shin-splints as a teen. I stand about 6'2" and have very long legs, though.
Old February 25th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #10
40yearslater

Maybe you're doing the old monkey grip with your toes (?) i.e. clenching your toes unconsciously while you're skating, as if trying to hold on the sole to keep yourself stable. Since it's been a while since you've skated, it might be a possibility.
40yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 04:53 AM   #11
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Put the Picture ALL Together

Hey Master.Discord,

Glad you are back to skating. I hope you stick with it, in spite of difficulties.

Put the picture of your problem that you posted in several posts all together and add anything else you can add to the mix for evaluation by SLF members.

Are you super overweight is one thing I thought, yet could be wrong as I read your posts. As a kid were you not physically talented? Nothing wrong with that either yet just a point of reference.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old February 26th, 2012, 05:27 AM   #12
Master.Discord

Quote:
Maybe you're doing the old monkey grip with your toes (?)
Probably, I go barefoot as often as possible and I stand on the ball of my foot most of the time, probably around an 80/20 split front to back. I KNOW I 'grip' while driving and I have a callus on the top of my big-toe knuckle from my regular shoes. XD

I'll consolidate details tomorrow, just got back from an SCA tournament and a big medieval feast. Am I a nerd? Yes. Yes I am.

I'm about 190 and 6'2", just tad over 'ideal' for my height or so I've heard, but 15% bodyfat if my scale is correct. I want to cut that down some and gain some muscle, just want to be healthy and active mostly though.

I may be able to snag some Rebel Invaders before too long, if the budget works out. JUST missed the lower price, I guess. lol I'm probably going to spend too much on getting my camp gear together to get them this month though. I got informed I'm GOING to the March Crown tournament, whether I want to or not.
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #13
40yearslater

Yeah, next time you skate, just try to remember to check if you are clenching your toes. I still do that once in a while if I go more than few weeks without skating. Once you relax your feet, I'll betcha that pesky shin thing will go away.

Good choice on the Rebel Invader.

I read last year that it has been determined that skating is the most efficient physical activity for weight loss.
By far the most fun way to get exercise.
40yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #14
KMA

It took weeks of conscious effort on my part to stop the clutching of the toes while going backwards. Oh the pain, shins, and mid arch foot.

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:06 AM   #15
Master.Discord

I still haven't regained my skating backwards. I can SEE it in my head, feel my legs wanting to do it, "Oh, just do THIS" but when I try I beef it. lol

Back at "The RINK" tonight for adult swim. We consider this our 'home' rink for now, may change to Foothill depending on schedules this summer. Anyway, they have the 'regular' rental boots in buff leather with the high ankles, and these Sure-Grip boots, which I prefer.

I was having that same shin trouble tonight... UNTIL I realized my left foot also felt really squirrely for some reason, and it didn't seem like it was my lack of skill this time. Sure enough, both left trucks were sloppy. The front left had about 1/4" of play in it before it hit the friggin buffer! (not to mention different plates between the left and right o.o) Got them switched out and my skating improved tenfold and I had so much more fun. No more shin pain either. THIGH tightness, but that's from the better workout I was getting.

Now I had a little problem with the second set of skates, it almost felt like the inside front wheel on the left skate was 'digging in' at certain points in my stride, so it would roll fine for a while then hiccup. Figured it might be a bearing getting gummed up or something, but it wasn't bad enough to swap skates again.

My thanks to everyone for the advice. Some persistence is helping, and finding certain things I like in a skate is as well. I do NOT like the heel on the 'normal' rentals.

I was lonely out there near the end though. Wife and I were tag-teaming our son (disabled but over 18, just needs supervision) and the last three or four songs we were completely alone on the rink. Kinda nice, but I wanted to heckle the people who were lounging in the snack bar XD "Come on... the session's not over yet!"
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:04 AM   #16
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Don't Like those Boots

Geez Sacremento_Master.D

I really don't like those boots. I mean they do not support the front of your foot. Wonder were they got them?

Even junky boots at 0.50c from the 1950s look better than them for skating. Yes, Yes they look new age and jazzy.

I think one of your problems is those boots. They do not trap the front of your foot enough so your foot toe_monkeying is an accommodation you are making to accommodate the sloppy boot. Thanks for showing the boot, since I never would have guessed you could be using that stuff.

I guess my main advice is to buy some skates on SLF, e_bay, or even garage sales, and then let the conversation re_begin.

P.S. As for our buddy Katy on backwards skating. I have known for years, or is that decades that my current boots made me monkey_toe when going backwards. SO I did not do it for too long. Maybe a couple of laps. My current boots like the boots of my youth should fix that problem and maybe make me go like Heaven
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:34 AM   #17
Master.Discord

Hmm, they feel a lot better to skate in than the usual high-top skates they have. They actually fit better than my regular shoes, which are a sneaker-styled workboot with a steel toe. I'd agree though, the toe area is a little loose unless I REALLY crank down on the laces. The other skates actually hurt my toes though, I hate to have my nails touch the top of the boot.

Anyway, won't be using them for long, I'll nab some real skates ASAP, that way they're mine.
Old February 29th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #18
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Toe box snug preferred

Hi Master,
Near Sarah(Art) and formerly my daughter.

Make sure when you get your skates you can snug up on your front toe box. If you have room you might naturally monkey toe more than most of us, even going forwards. Have to ask a guy I know that bare footed for decades in Hawaii if he monkey toes.

I see Katy had a forwards monkey toe problem which I never had. So I guess it depends on the skater. Edit(Oops forgot backwards)

I tried a lot of things and then gave up trying to tighten up that front toe box when too big and the laces didn't even pull it snug. Dancers Cotton the kind from Ballet, Cutting thick socks so I could put a sock boot around my toe area, and a few other things. Anyway new boots are going to fix this long standing problem for me. Give any of these ideas a try for those boots, and since you are not great yet you might be able to use really thick socks with a wicking inner liner used for hiking.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; February 29th, 2012 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Oops on Katy
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 02:32 AM   #19
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default That Son

Hey Master,

Hey I saw you post under Introduce Yourself.

OK I have posted this before over the years. I skated on a Wednesday at Skateland in Bradford, MA and sometimes every week and sometimes every few weeks an older couple (50s) would come with their handicapped child (30s) in a wheel chair. They were his care_givers and were once good skaters, so they liked skating. They did change offs in pushing and he enjoyed the music and sometimes took a nap.

Lots of other stories including one Autistic difficult Child who did not pay attention to his mother ONE bit till I skated couples with her. He was then very attentive. That kid loved speed.

Old March 1st, 2012, 02:18 AM   #20
Master.Discord

We tried out the tag-team method on Sunday night, it worked okay but he kept asking when he got to try. He was pretty okay with watching a movie while we skated though. It just felt sad to make him sit on the sidelines, but aside from a chair or something along those lines, I don't see a good solution.

He's not stuck in a chair, but he doesn't walk too well, lacking coordination. I've had to catch him more than once from taking a face-plant just walking down the sidewalk, so I'd be quite leery of strapping wheels to his feet. o.O

I tried 'pushing off' with the ball of my foot while walking across campus today, and managed to cause the same tired/burning sensation in my shins I had from skating, so it's clearly from using a muscle I don't normally use much. Trying to decide whether I'm going to Wacky Wednesday at the rink or just sit around the house this evening.