S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old February 16th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #1
yesiamtom

Default Teaching someone to skate for someone who cant teach

So, I have a tiny dilema. I am trying to teach someone I know (by extension of someone else) to skate. This person has been doing a fresh meat course for about 14 weeks skating 1-2 times a week for up to 4 hours in total a week. Unfortunately she seems to have fallen behind and so the problem has just gotten worse as time has gone on. I wish I had seen it earlier as i perhaps could have intervened at that point instead of now...

So, how do I go about telling this person they need to forget everything they've been taught (a lot of it wrong) and start from scratch.

The second problem is I am rubbish at teaching anything...any tips?

Any help would be mucho appreciated.
yesiamtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #2
inlina
ABEC42

It's about knowing what to teach to start with. You may need to go back to first principles ie. marching, duck walk, scissors/swizzles, balancing on one foot stationary. Those type of fundamentals are what adults often miss when they are learning, but they are truly fundamental.

CG
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #3
yesiamtom

thanks for the one reply lol

Your definately right, shes missing some fundamentals. I think she knows how to skate with the basics however needs to learn to develop power. I have my own suspicions so I will see what happens. Went out and found a lovely car park last night that is lit and mostly deserted also!
Old February 17th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Pinhy

I can relate to this from the other side (the learning side). I've taught myself to skate by putting on a pair and heading out to the trail. I'm positive I have bad technique (although Jessica told me "just bend your knees a little more but otherwise you look good").

My input to this thread is this: I feel like I want to skate behind someone who is better and learn by mimicking them. Since they are already up and mobile, maybe your student would learn by watching and doing what someone else does? Maybe with someone else behind them helping fix stuff they can see?

that's my $0.01 (it's not worth 2 cents).

Last edited by Pinhy; February 17th, 2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: misspelled "technique"
Pinhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #5
KMA

If there is a rink near by have her take some lessons. even if they are artistic. (I'm a little biased on that, but hey we can skate)

If there is not a rink; fundamentals, and following others.

Penguin walk, stroking, balancing on one foot, BEND knees, scissors, cross overs, cross overs on a figure circle. Teach her to go backwards too.

And where are you located? I'll be at "my" rink all morning tomorrow morning (Saturday), and then all night tomorrow night.

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #6
BWI-Sheldon
Pro Bike Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhy View Post
I've taught myself to skate by putting on a pair and heading out to the trail.
Best way to learn. Attitude. Just go do it, fix problems later.
Quote:
although Jessica told me ..... "but otherwise you look good"
Best thing you can do to teach someone. Encouragement!! Even if they skate like crap. Of course having a hot babe on skates telling you that you are doing good really helps
Quote:
My input to this thread is this: I feel like I want to skate behind someone who is better and learn by mimicking them. Since they are already up and mobile, maybe your student would learn by watching and doing what someone else does? Maybe with someone else behind them helping fix stuff they can see?
Homerun hit! This is the absolute best way!
Quote:
that's my $0.01 (it's not worth 2 cents).
That was worth a million bucks!
BWI-Sheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #7
Pinhy

Thanks Sheldon

I was just throwing out the thoughts I've been having about how I think I will learn to improve the best, didnt expect glowing reviews!

I just hope Jessica doesnt read this thread, that "hot babe" comment (as true as it is) is going to go to her head!
Pinhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #8
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

Get out the cones!

http://munobal.net/lessonslalom

Work from "fish" on down the list. Each trick covers something new fundamental. You get instant helpful feedback on what's working or not.

Recommend to use either paper cups or the top half of conical party hats. If it's too windy for those, chalk cross are acceptable. IKEA cups apparently work too, but I wouldn't want to fall on one.

(yes I know it's videos of inline skating, but it you space the cones a bit wider, it's all possible on quads too)
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #9
PeterM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesiamtom View Post

Your definately right,

"definately" is spelt "definitely" and "You are" is abreviated to "You're".

How much have I spent on your edicashun my boy?
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:05 AM   #10
yesiamtom

Hopefuly some of you may be interested to know with a small bit of advice said skater is now much quicker. We also identified that she is struggling to balance on one foot which is almost certainly holding her back.

The problem came down to not pushing out fully. Literally after being told this her skating transformed and she added a fair bit of speed on. It'll be interesting to see how much quicker she can go inside as the rough car park we were in was not the best place to skate.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:31 PM   #11
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Be Watchful when teaching a Derby Wannbe

Hi yesiamtom,

Quote:
So, I have a tiny dilema. o - o So, how do I go about telling this person they need to forget everything they've been taught (a lot of it wrong) and start from scratch. o - o Any help would be mucho appreciated.
Good replies, yet I would be careful with "lots wrong". Don't know her Derby team teachers yet Derby is Quite different from Session Skating. A good to great Session Skater or Art Skater can learn Derby faster yet still Derby does some things a bit to a lot different.

So watch some Derby Fresh Meat and Experienced Derby practices. Learn some of the moves they hold dear for competitions. Also learn the Level Tests. Now Jumping, or side jumping isn't exactly one you would teach for a session skater or art skater.

If she missed the cut_off well then you can work on several things at the same time. Things you like and also Derby. Most importantly learn those Level Tests.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:14 AM   #12
PeterM

Quote:
Hopefuly some of you may be interested to know with a small bit of advice said skater is now much quicker. .

One of the reasons she was able to progress quickly was because we were able to use you as a demonstrater. When you skated towards us it was very clear to see how you shifted your balance and were able to bring your pushing skate back to the center line

She was showing what I think is a fairly typical beginners problem - not getting her weight fully onto the non-pushing wheel. As a result she was not giving herself time to bring the pushing skate back to the centreline after completing the push. Consequently her pushes were very short with little power.

To be honest I was amazed the difference it made when we pointed that out to her. The increase in her speed was quite dramatic.

But more than that, her negative attitude ("I can't do this" ) vanished. And I think that change of attitude will help her go a long way.

Keep us posted as to her progress

Last edited by PeterM; February 23rd, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote