S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old January 28th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #1
Pinhy

Default My first (sort of) skates

I'm pretty new to skating and have been borrowing a pair of Il Capo's http://www.amazon.com/K2-Capo-Mens-I.../dp/B001GAPQCU for a few short (4-7 mile) trail skates

I've been to a couple different Play It Again Sports looking for a used pair of something good, but I wound up getting these DBX's today http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...280&cp=2460170 at Dick's with some gift certificates I had.

Any input on whether or not this was a decent decision? They have plastic frames, Mothership 80mm wheels and ABEC 7 bearings.
Pinhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #2
inlina
ABEC42

I'll be honest...you may have been better off continuing with the borrowed Il Capo's if money was an object, and if money was no object looking towards something in the K2 or Rollerblade range at Dick's, or even Bladerunner which are typically Rollerblade skates from a few years ago (Rollerblade own Bladerunner).

DBX is a bit of a no-name brand and the main concern that some of the no-name brands don't have a lot of development in them and are just a company trying to make a buck of a cheap Chinese import (as opposed to a less cheap Chinese impot from the other companies). As often as not, that lack of developement and product knowledge leads to deficiencies in design or quality that can end up frustrating a beginner. Uncomfortable boots (maybe not in the shop but over time), poor materials (especially big problem with wheels or boot liners), designs that are not robust or other issues are more likely with the lesser brands. They may not exhibit issues straight away or even in the first few months, and if you're lucky not at all, but it really is a crap shoot with those types of brands.

I hope that they do serve you well, because the last thing I want to see is a beginner get frustrated with skating because their equipment may not have been up to scratch. Please be mindful of the potential issues and I hope that you continue skating for many years with a potential skate upgrade in the future.

CG
Old January 29th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Pinhy

You make some good points, and I sat and thought about those things (with the skates on) for a while at the store.

I am not 100% sure I will really get into skating, or even be ABLE to get decent enough to enjoy it. That is the main reason for not just purchasing a set of K2 Moto 80 or 84 from inline warehouse for $90-$100. I really would have preferred a used set for $30-$50, but finding something half decent in my size is not easy - stores or Ebay.

I sat around the house with these on for half an hour or more yesterday and they aren't perfectly comfortable, but nothing I can't live with considering I'll only ever have them on for 2-3 hours at a time.

You have me thinking about returning them though. Just can't borrow Jessica's Il Capo's forever.
Old January 29th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #4
SpinOut

I think those K2 Moto skates at IW are the way to go if you can bring yourself to spend the $100.

If you're worried you won't be good enough to enjoy skating, you're not doing yourself any favors using skates that aren't comfortable or don't ride well.
Old January 30th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #5
jaytee001if

I sought the advice recently for my first decent pair of recreational/fitness skates. Like yourself I will probably be doing about 8-10 miles every so often. On the advice of Inlina and several others I bought a pair of k2 Moto 84's- man, they are comfortable. I road tested them a short while back and they exceeded my expectations for smoothness of ride, support and comfort. I have another pair of Roces skates for indoor rollerhockey and the difference between the two is night and day. I am not experienced enough to give you any constructive advice regarding choice of skate, brands etc., but comfort is definitely a major factor.

Good luck in your choice

JT
Old January 30th, 2012, 03:28 AM   #6
Pinhy

I wore them around the house for about an hour last night and there was a spot that started to feel like it was digging into the side of my foot. Couple that with the comments I read when I got up this morning, and I decided to run them back to Dick's this evening.

JT: I had been following your thread since the holidays, and had pretty much talked myself into the Moto 84's being my first "good set" after a "starter set".

I think I am going to take everyone's advice, including a friend here in town, and go with the 84's now. They should last me through a long range of skill increase (assuming I actually GET better, though I really cant get worse), and allow me to go to 90's or even 100's further down the road.

Thanks to everyone! I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Old January 30th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #7
inlina
ABEC42

Good choice. Have fun, skate safe.

CG
Old February 1st, 2012, 04:20 AM   #8
SmileySk8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhy View Post
I wore them around the house for about an hour last night and there was a spot that started to feel like it was digging into the side of my foot. Couple that with the comments I read when I got up this morning, and I decided to run them back to Dick's this evening.

JT: I had been following your thread since the holidays, and had pretty much talked myself into the Moto 84's being my first "good set" after a "starter set".

I think I am going to take everyone's advice, including a friend here in town, and go with the 84's now. They should last me through a long range of skill increase (assuming I actually GET better, though I really cant get worse), and allow me to go to 90's or even 100's further down the road.

Thanks to everyone! I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Thumbs up! Wishing you happy trails. Good luck. Keep practicing, don't get discouraged, and DON'T GIVE UP!!! It takes time to get better. Get some good pads, wristguards and helmets in the event you take a spill. Then get back up and ride it off. The best way to get better is keep on skating.
SmileySk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Pinhy

Im all set on the safety side...helmet and a set of Rollerblade Lux pads (knee, elbow, wrist).

Skates are tracking to arrive Friday...hope they get here to the office so I can get out on them this weekend. If not, I wont see them till Monday.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:42 PM   #10
Pinhy

Default They're here!

K2 Moto 84 BOA

I've already gone up and down our drive a couple times, so smooth and quiet......and fast....and hard to stop! lol
Old February 4th, 2012, 12:40 AM   #11
inlina
ABEC42

Quote:
I've already gone up and down our drive a couple times, so smooth and quiet......and fast....and hard to stop! lol
Comfort level compared to what you have already skated?
Old February 4th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #12
jaytee001if

Pinhy, managed another 6 mile or so skate in mine on Wednesday there, I am really enjoying them. Hope you get as much out of yours....enjoy! JT
Old February 5th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #13
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

Quote:
K2 Moto 84 BOA

Nice...I'm late chiming in but out of 4 pair of quads and 5 inlines my k2 moto's are still the most comfortable boots I own. the rest of the skate may not be prefect but they're GREAT rec skates for the money.

After playing around with the "DIcks" skate I'm sure you can feel where that extra 50 bucks went......and it was worth it.

Last edited by Banzai; February 5th, 2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: I am therefore I EDIT.
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #14
Pinhy

I went out and did an 8-mile loop at the park this weekend, and had no issue with comfort or control or anything really.

Compared to the DBX's, there really ISNT a comparison, K2 is a higher quality product. Well worth the $40 for sure. So thanks to those of you that talked me into going this direction!

Compared to the Il Capo's I was borrowing, the boot is much more stable, which is good for a beginner like me. I was much more comfortable getting onto the outer edge without fear of my ankle giving out. Plus the brand new 84mm wheels really roll effortlessly.

Jessica (Wright) was out there skating with another friend on a bike, and they slowed down to my crawl for a couple minutes to chat. Apparently I need to bend my knees even more than I feel I am, but otherwise "look pretty good".....so I got that going for me (which is nice).
Old February 7th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #15
SpinOut

I'm really glad you like the K2 skates. It's a good testimony for the new skaters that come here looking for skate recommendations. There is clearly a difference in skate quality if you break the cheap skate threshold. It's worth the money for comfort and the better skates will make a difference as you advance your skating skills.
Old February 13th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #16
PBLsQuad450

That's great Pinhy! If you are doing an 8 mile loop without major issues already, you are skating great! Nice to hear! Keep us posted. Good looking rides!
Old February 18th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #17
Lerroy178

Pinhy,

Do you like the BOA lacing system and were the skate sizing true to your normal shoe size?

Thanks
Lerroy178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #18
Pinhy

8 miles at the park again today....getting better and a little faster. need to work on my endurance. Golf just doesn't work the cardiovascular very well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerroy178 View Post
Pinhy,

Do you like the BOA lacing system and were the skate sizing true to your normal shoe size?

Thanks
yes! and yes.

I wear anywhere from 9.5-10.5 in shoes, depending on the style/manufacturer and got a 10 skate.

BOA: Love it! no loose laces getting in the way, easy to tighten one last time after you strap everything up, quick release to take them off. Highly recommend them
Old February 27th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #19
Pinhy

8 mile loop again Friday, then my first Urban skate through downtown with our local group (about 9 or 10 miles)

Skates seem more and more confortable as I break them in.

Hoping for another loop in the next couple days, then same loop Friday night for our monthly "full moon" skate with lots of people, then a nice relaxing 3-4 mile neighborhood skate (then party) Saturday night.

Can you tell I'm getting addicted?
Old February 27th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #20
Lerroy178

Glad you still love them. Mine came in today
Lerroy178 is offline   Reply With Quote