S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old March 18th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #21
Offkilter

take a deep breath.....YOU CAN NOT SKATE...if your not relaxed..I tell this to every one I have ever helped..there are hundreds small movements your body makes when your skating ..so small that you don't notice them so being tense will make them impossible..and yet they are vital to skating..so being relaxed especially in the beginning is very important.

I'm not sure why they are insisting on derby position before you can even skate properly...while derby position is extremely important for your stability and safety..it is hard to learn how to skate that way ....at first...

You are falling backwards for one reason only...your weight is behind your skates...you have to move your center of gravity forward..you should feel like your standing on the balls of your feet..and thats where the blisters should be..*smile*

do you know the basic falls?...knee drops, right left both.. if not PM me and I will walk you though it...this is important for your safety and piece of mind...they also work as an emergency stop...

It also sounds like you might have issues with single foot control..in a T-stop your barly touching the wheels to the ground..people who can't skate or stand on one skate will have tremendous trouble with the T-stop.

there for I recommend that you practise controlling one foot then the other..get some forward speed then lift one foot as long as you can...don't worry about derby position as your doing this ..you still have some basic balance and skating control to master before you worry about derby position...but don't misunderstand me...Derby position is essential to derby skating...you just have more basic things to work on right now..that will come later.
Old March 18th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #22
okie

Exclamation OK! Skate KATE 1982!

We need some answers here,about you!!!!!!!

Maybe you can't skate??? lots of people can't. Even though they used to.

First things first. Roller skates are designed for a 150lbs skater. You have to choose more quality skates as your weight goes up. And a skate designed for what you are going to do on the floor.

Not everthing works for ever body ever where. It is a specialized market today.

Second::::: Learning to skate by doing Roller Derby is not a good thing. You should know how to skate before even thinking about joining a roller derby team.

When we first started roller deby (2004) our teams were made up of speed skaters,art skaters and fast weekly session skaters. All they had to do was the hitting and learning the rules. They were all very good skaters at the beginning.

YOU>>>>>> Some personal stuff: Just the facts: IF you do not want to post a picture? put abag over your head. So we don't know you etc.

If your BMi is really out of whack,you may not be able to do a lot on roller skates. It requires balance and reflexes. If your overloading your skates,they cannot not respond. Will wiggle and waggle all over.

KNEE PADS:::::::::: Just for skating outside and rink skating>"HARBOR FREIGHT STORES" They have several types and they are""""""" CHEAP"""""". Not roller derby approved. But they will work fine. Hard plastic cups and full leg covers, tight attachments. Pick your type and fit. There on a rack to choose from.

They also have helmets,and big tuff gloves to wear on the outside stuff.

Before we can help you much more we need to knowmore about your actual body shape etc.

Don't be shy and tell the truth. I had 330lb girls on my team before and they could skate real good once we got them on the right skates.

Something else. Do you have allergies?????? Some pills will affect your balance. Some will make you lazy etc,hard to get moving.

For really leaning to skate and improve your skating you should do some rink session skating just to get back to skating.

More info will really help. Please!

Can you ride a bicycle backwards while sitting on the handlebars and pedaling??? This is true test for balance to rollerskating first. If you can do this you will be a real good skater.
okie
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #23
skatekate1982

I do NOT weigh 330 lbs. Not even close, Good Lord!!

I bought my skates at a shop and the lady said I should be just fine skating on them at 180 lbs. My doctor already knows I am skating again and although he is not happy about the derby bit he is pleased that I am starting to lose weight and says if I keep it up I will lose about 25 lbs. (I am 5' 9" and I have broad shoulders and a broad back with narrow hips.) I should also mention that I do not have any allergies.

Second, the policy of the league is to teach the skaters to skate, and MUCH LATER they teach us things like how to give and take hits. The league has an open recruit policy and will take anybody willing to learn, so long as they can stand upon the skates (check.) There are few people into speed skating and the like in my neck of the woods; we have a few hockey players but most of these are male, so the leagues around here cannot be choosy.

The head coach usually goes off with the people preparing to bout and the assistant usually takes us to another part of the rink to practice. Like a lot of people in the league, he didn't know how to skate at all before encountering derby and the man is now a God. He wishes to return the favor. He teaches the basics to those of us who need it and builds upon it slowly. We sure as hell are not even ALLOWED to learn the booty block yet and we mainly work on falls, on watermelons, on extending legs, and some minor jumping so we can graduate to bigger things. I spoke to the assistant just today and he says I am starting to improve as I no longer just scoot using one foot and never shift weight to the other, and my big problem is that I cannot get low ( I talked to the head coach too and she showed me that they want me to bend my knees more and she says that I have been interpreting it as bending at the waist more, so when I try the plow stop, my feet slide right out from under me, and I just keep tripping on the t stop and weird scissors thing.)
skatekate1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #24
BionicBug

it takes time to get all the skills - I am JUST starting to really be able to do t-stops & plow stops properly after skating regularly for about 6 months (I couldn't skate at all to begin with, lol).

as for stopping in general - if you're going to fast and need to stop, take a knee! as long as you have pads on, it won't hurt, and it will stop you the rest will come in time.

derby stance, and getting low - work on strengthening your legs off skates - start doing lots of squats and wall sits - once those muscles get used to doing it, you'll automatically start using good form on your skates, and your muscles won't burn so bad doing so!

You can do it just be patient and keep at it!
BionicBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 02:51 AM   #25
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

It's all 100 times harder than you probably imagined at first. Don't despair, it's not (all) you, it's just it's a really really hard thing to learn from scratch. But keep going, don't give up, practice so much that you get bored with it, and get advice from everyone you can, including non-derby sources. Non quad sources even.

And take notice of fear. Fear is telling you exactly where the specific deficiencies in your skills lie. i.e. what you need to work on next.

And finally, something that inspired me to keep at it:

http://lesswrong.com/lw/ui/use_the_try_harder_luke/
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 05:25 AM   #26
695XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nick View Post
First thing you need to do is get rid of the Caymans, they will hold you back big time.
When yo order new wheels order some Sure Grip blue barrel/conic cushions.
These two things will massively improve your skates.
In the meantime, keep low, bend your knees get your knees over your toes and your shoulders over your knees.
Big Nick, My wife and I are getting back into skating. I speed skated in the mid 70's and the wife barely learn to skate when she was 15. I bought the wife some cheap skates to see if she wanting to start skating again. I got her some R3's and am having trouble locating the blue barrel wheels. I find Sure-Grip Motion, Zoom, Twister, Optics, Fugitives, Fugtive Mid, 50/50, Power, Power Plus and Interceptor V-Drive. Are any of these the same as blue barrel? And where do I find the cushions? Thanks for your help with this. Robert
Old March 20th, 2012, 02:33 AM   #27
Poobah

He isn't talking about wheels, he's talking about cushions.

What a skateboarder would call "bushings." The ones in the picture below are red.

Not the red things in the wheels (those are bearings) the red things surrounding the trucks. They're made of (stiff) rubber on your R3s. He's suggesting you get some nice soft urethane cushions to replace them. Makes turning easier.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 06:33 AM   #28
695XL

Thanks Poobah. This is not my first rodeo. Sorry, I miss understood when he said to change the Cayman wheels with others. That was what I was asking for and what cushions. As in my signature below I run Fafnir's in my old skates and am thinking of running Bone Swiss in my new ones. Again thanks!
Old March 21st, 2012, 01:53 AM   #29
Master.Discord

My wife is kinda at the same level I'd say. She's doing fine going round-n-round but she screams when the little kids (and show-offs) dart in front of her because she literally can't stop that fast. She goes forward ok and can go backward very VERY carefully, but it's a struggle just to keep on her feet, let alone do anything fancy.

The 'weird variation on the scissors' sounds like a normal crossover? The 'leg outs' sounds like what happens when I start pushing for speed. I'm pretty new too, though my muscle-memory was a lot better than hers so I picked up my old skills quick, but I may be totally off.

She's right about 180 also She's just getting past the one-foot-scoot, but she still wants the wall almost constantly, to catch herself rather than causing a pile-up.

Keep it up, things DO get better.
Master.Discord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:34 AM   #30
695XL

First night I skated after 33 years of not skating was like I never stopped. I guess like riding a bike.

My wife on the other hand is on her baby steps. If she could relax and not be so nervous about falling she'd do better. Yes she fears kids also but does not use the wall. No backwards yet till she can go forward. 40 years since she's been on skates and another 35lbs.

When I speed skated I weighed 120lbs and now I weigh 240lbs. This along with a 15 degree rotated axis on my left leg that I received after a car wreck in 1982. Now I walk like a duck and feel pigeon toed when I skate.

I can still dance ok and sprint a few laps before getting winded. I can not do cartwheels or the spilts anymore. I use to rip the seat of my jeans out regularly.

I'm hoping the new skates will be a big improvement. Bought my bearings today and finished putting them together. Just waiting for the rink to get my wheels in, so I can try them out.