S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old February 17th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Lerroy178

Default Skating after 20+ yrs away, Need new skates Help

Hi, I go by Leeroy, i'm 35 year old.

i've been taking my daugther (just turned 5) skating for about the last 8 weeks or so now about 4-5hrs a week at the indoor rink . she is getting pretty good now and really enjoying it. now that i know that she likes it i would like to buy some Inlines and get away from the rentals that are killing my feet.

im been looking at whats out there and need your help. This is what im looking for in a skate.

i have long norrow feet and have plantar fasciitis in both feet for 6 years now and on top of that my ankles roll outward when i stand/walk/run or skake etc. with all that been said. i'm looking for a good inline that is

*Comfortable
*Fits very snug to my foot (i tie my shoes very tight) i dont want my foot moving inside the boot if possible
*has great ankle support to keep my ankles from rolling
* $140 or under

i was almost going to buy a set of K2 Moto 84 but, i dont think the Softboot will keep my foot snug and will cause me problem.

i dont have any local stores to try any skates unfortunately. so i wanted to post to see what you think.

Thanks,

L
Lerroy178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #2
BlondeWitch
4PairsCustomSkates=Broke

Default My son has the K2 Moto.

He does not have plantar fasciitis (but I do) but he said he ties his boots pretty tight and it keeps his feet snug.

I know how important it is to keep your feet still to keep that darn pain from coming back to haunt you. I'm not sure you're going to know for sure that a boot is good until you try them on.

I needed to buy my son a good inline in a low price point. My suggestion is to check out the Inline Warehouse website. We originally ordered the wrong size and were able to exchange them with free shipping. They have a fantastic selection and if you called them up they could probably direct you to a skate that would work for you.
BlondeWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #3
inlina
ABEC42

A softboot will do a better job of keeping your foot snug than a hard boot. The K2 Moto84 is a popular choice for an entry level skate.

If you want an even more snug fit, you need to look at skates that have moldable liner (or a moldable/custom speed skate). K2 has some custom fit variants. Some of the other brands may have this kind of feature in higher end skates (my Salomons did).

CG
Old February 17th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Pinhy

I'm a beginner (pretty much) and am 39 years old. I also dont like when my weight gets outside and my ankle rolls out. I just bought the Moto 84 BOA from Inline Warehouse and love them. VERY supportive yet comfortable. I am now very comfortable getting on my outside edge with no ankle issues.

Here's my thread with more detail if you're interested http://skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41958

Pinhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #5
KMA

I read "my ankles roll out" and thought SPEED SKATER. My coach is always on us about standing with our ankle rolled out a little.

That being said, I don't think you can skates any tighter then a mold able speed skate.

And they are not really usable for session skates.

Have you tried quads? I love mine.

Katy.
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Lerroy178

Thanks, for everyones replies & help

im pretty sure im going to go with the MOTO 84's. I guess my last question is if i should go with the BOA lacing or normal? and size of skate. i wear a 10.5 in all my sneakers/dress etc, shoes but, 11's in my work/outdoor boots. so, i wasnt sure what size skate shoe but, i was thinking 11.

Pinhy: i looked at your post do you like the BOA system?
Old February 19th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #7
inlina
ABEC42

Probably 10.5. I have actually found the 'CM' sizing to be the best. Your local shoe store may have a foot sizing device that has CM sizing on the scale.

Most of the online shops have a free returns policy though, so check their FAQs or whatever and rest easy.

CG
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #8
Pinhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerroy178 View Post
Pinhy: i looked at your post do you like the BOA system?
Love it! no loose laces getting in the way, easy to tighten one last time after you strap everything up, quick release to take them off. Highly recommend them. The system is guaranteed for the life of the skate too.
Pinhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #9
Lerroy178

Didnt know that the BOA was guaranteed for the life of the skates. Really glad i got them even more now. just wish they had different colors boots.