S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old August 19th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #1
rsfaze
Old School™

Default Help promote business for your local rinks

I have been doing this and I can't honestly say it has helped at all but its worth the 5 mins I spend if that. I am sure most of you have myspace. Each session I skate which is between 3-4 sessions a week I post a myspace bulletin about the session place time and something to maybe get interest back to the old skaters. I make skating a ice breaker now with all of my co workers.
rsfaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #2
brikkee

I would say give the parents some thing to do while there kids skate other than just the snack bar.Maybe add a slot machine or keno because gambling seem to be what most adults like to do.
Old August 19th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #3
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Brikkee may be onto something Rink/Session redesign

Hi FSFaze, Brikkee,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfaze View Post
I have been doing this and I can't honestly say it has helped at all but its worth the 5 mins I spend if that. I am sure most of you have myspace. Each session I skate which is between 3-4 sessions a week I post a myspace bulletin about the session place time and something to maybe get interest back to the old skaters. I make skating a ice breaker now with all of my co workers.
I like your attitude and encouragement of others.

Getting adults to skate again or the first time is difficult. I say this after years of trying to get adults who are at a skate session with their children "Join" their kids and the few other adults on the floor. Even ones that do come back on the floor are soon gone after a few sessions. Too many other things to do.

Even great adult skaters that I have invited to adult night are almost No Shows.

Brikkee might have an idea by redesigning the skate rink or the skate session in some way. Now I want the adults to eventually come out and skate, and keep on bringing their kids back with them to also skate, so I don't think game machines are the way. I thought about a reading corner since many moms bring the young kids then eventually learn the "Drop them off" technique. Particularly difficult for adults is participating in teen skate nights.

Keep the ideas flowing.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Dave

P.S. The only problem with my idea of Rink Session redesign is the decline of skating and the money flow into the rinks. Most rinks are doing horrible staying in business and maintaining or improving their rinks due to lack of money.
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #4
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfaze View Post
This is an excellent idea! Let's get more people involved in the world's best sport!
sk84luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #5
CARTchamp

In some places its not the adults that dont want to skate, it's the rinks that don't want the adults to come and skate.
Old August 24th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Daisydoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikkee View Post
I would say give the parents some thing to do while there kids skate other than just the snack bar.Maybe add a slot machine or keno because gambling seem to be what most adults like to do.

You know, I don't live near a roller rink but I do live near a few ice skating rinks. What one ice skating rink does while kids are learning is have an adult class at that same time on the other side of the rink. They told me (when I was inquiring about adult classes) that they have quite a few adults that take the class to keep them occupied for that hour class their kids have. Coupled with the fact that again they are not standing around, they are there for their kids and getting an exersize and social hour themselves.
Daisydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #7
rsfaze
Old School™

edit. the owner was on vacation opps

Last edited by rsfaze; August 24th, 2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #8
NaNaDo

[

Last edited by NaNaDo; May 12th, 2008 at 06:50 PM.
NaNaDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 09:18 PM   #9
shop4skates

Many rinks in this area are adding free wifi hotspots so parents can work on their laptop computers online while their kids have fun. I think it is a great idea. The parents love it.
shop4skates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 10:17 PM   #10
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

I am a member of a mothers group that has about 800+ members in my area. I talked the mgr at my rink in to letting us have a rollers & strollers session each month. We get a private session during the day & they get more business. He said that since we started doing this his business went up about 15%-20%

I think once the adults actually get out there and remember how fun it is, they will come back. The trick is to get them in the door to begin with. Our moms have a BLAST when we go and it carries over to other moms (and dads too) who have not thought about skating in years. Word of mouth is awesome!
Old October 21st, 2007, 10:40 PM   #11
shop4skates

Encourage them if they aren't already for these kinds of sessions to include coffee and pastries either in the price or for an additional fee for the parents.

It is working at other locations.
Old October 21st, 2007, 11:30 PM   #12
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by shop4skates View Post
Encourage them if they aren't already for these kinds of sessions to include coffee and pastries either in the price or for an additional fee for the parents.

It is working at other locations.
If I remember correctly, you own or operate a rink in the ATL?

We have a sister site in the Atlanta area. They have almost 1000 members. It might be a good idea to have a session for them.. PM me if you would like me to have them contact you... I know they are interested.
Old October 24th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #13
rsfaze
Old School™

Can anyone tell me if the rinks they skate at do any type of outside advertisement? I skate 3 times a week at Semoran Skateway in Orlando. Well lets say I use to. The Tuesday night session which went from a Family skate to a Shuffle session back to a Family skate is being canceled due to a poor turn out. The rink wants 120 people there weekly to keep the session going. While I can understand the need for $ to operate I don't feel they did anything to help. Each session they asked us to bring more people. The rink switched gears about 3 times in the past month. Taking the session from a family skate to a shuffle back to a family night without telling anyone. I see no outside advertisement done at all. The rink has been here I think 35yrs from what I have been told so maybe they feel everyone knows they are there.

I find it very sad that I now only have 2 sessions a week to skate. Friday nights which turns into dodge kid and Sunday nights Adult night.

The rink says they have plenty of PTA groups they can book and the reason to cancel the public session. I know there is nothing that can be done about THIS session but I do not want to see the same thing happen to other sessions. I posted the idea about MySpace but the owner doesn't seem to care much about doing this. I guess I could do it on my own without the rink, just donít want to step on any toes.
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:40 AM   #14
shop4skates

The rinks have to do what they can to bring in the most money every day they are open. I think it is true that many of them don't do much in regard to advertising.

Myspace properly used can be used to promote events to certain age groups.

To answer a previous question, I do not and have not ever owned a skating rink nor have I ever worked at one. I do have regular contact with rinks around the country that I design and maintain websites for though.
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #15
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Default something I found out surfing

here is a link to a rink that is promoting up keep in dental health and additional means to bringing them in. anyone else out there with rink and operator(s) helping in the means of making Roller Skating more of a fun and possible new means of entertainment ? Federations should hold a contest for the most geniune means of advertising for promoting skating. All styles accepted. (this way it would cost less)

If so please post...this was a goodie!

http://www.carouselskate.com/rollertoothprogram.html
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #16
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

again another with many means of expression

http://www.calskate.com/
http://www.calskate.com/schedule.html

West coast in the house!!!
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #17
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

well, another West coast Drive for more the merrier on skaters:

http://www.skate-express.com/fndrsr.html

Chino, CA in the house

Pastskater
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #18
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

another sense of values...

http://www.kingsskatecountry.com/

Pastskater
Old December 28th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #19
q in sac
O.G. Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTchamp View Post
In some places its not the adults that dont want to skate, it's the rinks that don't want the adults to come and skate.
That statement is soooo true here in Northern California. But times is changing.
q in sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #20
q in sac
O.G. Skater

Default insight on what I do.....

It's very hard to get those "old school" skaters back. Talking with a number of them 3 major issues comes up: family, work or health. Also, Lack of time and where to go skating are other issues. Here in No Cal, there are a number rinks available but the sessions are not geared to the Adults. The kids bring substantial cash, i.e., soda pop, candy, nachos, etc. Not the adults.

Here is Sacramento, I surveyed a number of former skaters that used to attend Cal Skate in Sacramento and Milpitles (Bay Area) Over 50% of the skaters admit that music and the environment is the major reason they stop attended. So if the music is not "right", people will not come any more.

I started Grown Folks Sk8 in Sacramento in 2007 at Cal Skate in Sacramento. i had to promote this Adult skate with the few adults that attended the regular sessions and the Adult session at San Jose Skate (Aloha). My 1st night I had 89 skaters attend. Which is good, because the skating rink needs a specific number of attendees to break even.

Another problem is that will run into is getting those skaters back. How i do it is via email. After every event I make announcement about a my Nor Cal skater mailing list. So I input them and keep them updated. Also I hit the local hair salons, barber shop, beauty supply store, and independent record stores. I have ok success. Work in progress.

This my advertisement for the next event:

"After your holiday "hooplah" its time to come out and skate. And get rid of that stress and extra pounds.

This Saturday, December 29, 2007 @ Foothill Skate in Sacramento. (Wood floor)
Address: 4700 Auburn Blvd., Sacramento, CA. Google, Mapquest or Yahoo the address and get directions.
10:30pm to 1:30am, Admission: $10 with skates.
21 and older will be admitted.

Tell a Friend. See U there."

A fellow skater started an Adult Night at Sunrise Rollerland here in Sacramento in 2006. once a month and it has grown. The managers of the skating rink love it, plus the added income to their "bottom line". Now, he has adult night twice a month and avg over 300 attendenes. So, it can be done with the right info.

So I'm in the development stage of a small website with pictures, videos and information on other skating event in No CA.
My goal is to get about 100-125 skater this Saturday.

My suggestion is to ask the rink if they are willing to give you a night to promote an special Adult night. If you need more info you can email me at: grownfolkssk8@hotmail.com
q in sac is offline   Reply With Quote