S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old February 8th, 2018, 03:53 AM   #1
Abyss

Default Wide jam skate boot.....

Tax seasons here and wifey may just let me buy some decent boots for my skates since everything is new except the boot/plate. My plates are what i have always used and in fine shape but i want new boots.
Any suggestions for a jam skate or similar style boot thats comfy for wide feet (preferably white ones)
Thanks!

Last edited by Abyss; February 8th, 2018 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Typos
Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 07:57 AM   #2
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
Any suggestions for a jam skate or similar style boot that's comfy for wide feet (preferably white ones)
I don't think the colour of your feet will make any difference.
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 01:42 PM   #3
hoohoorjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyape View Post
Well-played, sir!
hoohoorjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 02:00 PM   #4
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyape View Post
Lol, ironically i am a white guy hahaha
Old February 8th, 2018, 03:58 PM   #5
ursle
Street Skater

Vanilla boots run wide, come with or without heels, in various colors, but no hight tops.
If you can't source them locally, "Connies" will ship and let you try them on for size, and exchange before they are drilled.
I don't know how durable they are.
Riedell boots come wide, again, Connies will let you try for size.
Reidell has lot's of choices.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 10:55 PM   #6
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Vanilla boots run wide, come with or without heels, in various colors, but no hight tops.
If you can't source them locally, "Connies" will ship and let you try them on for size, and exchange before they are drilled.
I don't know how durable they are.
Riedell boots come wide, again, Connies will let you try for size.
Reidell has lot's of choices.
Whos “connies”? Do i just google that or is there a # to call her?
Old February 8th, 2018, 11:08 PM   #7
amohrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
Whos “connies”? Do i just google that or is there a # to call her?
http://www.conniesskateplace.com/

Vanilla's are a little cheaper in both price and materials. I'm fairly happy with my wife's. But the quality difference is noticeable.

If I were to purchase a boot today it would be the $200 bont Quadstar. I don't need the fancy stiff sole. I like a little taller boot. And I like the way this boot feels. But that's me and I already have 3 other boots that work.

However, jam skaters usually use a short boot, so something like a 395 might work well. Try asking Doc in the "ask Doc" part of this forum. He can also sell you the boot. Just know that Riedells run large.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 02:33 AM   #8
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
http://www.conniesskateplace.com/

Vanilla's are a little cheaper in both price and materials. I'm fairly happy with my wife's. But the quality difference is noticeable.

If I were to purchase a boot today it would be the $200 bont Quadstar. I don't need the fancy stiff sole. I like a little taller boot. And I like the way this boot feels. But that's me and I already have 3 other boots that work.

However, jam skaters usually use a short boot, so something like a 395 might work well. Try asking Doc in the "ask Doc" part of this forum. He can also sell you the boot. Just know that Riedells run large.
Thanks for the link and will do!
Old February 9th, 2018, 04:00 AM   #9
hoohoorjoo

Default Connie's is great to deal with!

I just ordered a set of blue Powertrac cusions from them last Friday afternoon. The price was cheaper than anywhere else and they got here yesterday. Plus, they are right here in south GA. Gotta love that!
Old February 10th, 2018, 10:45 PM   #10
BPTS
I made your Mom blush....

I have a pair of Reidell Solaris boots and they fit my feet quite comfortably even though my left foot was broken twice within 6 months of each other (ice hockey).
Old February 11th, 2018, 01:00 PM   #11
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTS View Post
I have a pair of Reidell Solaris boots and they fit my feet quite comfortably even though my left foot was broken twice within 6 months of each other (ice hockey).
Nice and sorry to hear all at the same time!
Old February 12th, 2018, 07:46 PM   #12
hoohoorjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTS View Post
I really like my Solaris boots, as well and I have broken my right ankle 4 diff times, 3 of those times within 10 months back when I was 19.
Old February 12th, 2018, 09:02 PM   #13
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoohoorjoo View Post
I really like my Solaris boots, as well and I have broken my right ankle 4 diff times, 3 of those times within 10 months back when I was 19.
Will need to check them out it seems!
Old February 12th, 2018, 11:09 PM   #14
hoohoorjoo

Default The Solaris

...runs big and is really great if your foot is wider than average. I wear a 10.5 to 11 in tennis shoes, but my boot is a size 9. I think a 9.5 would have worked, but I like my foot to be wrapped tight. I think my foot would have wiggled and rubbed with the 9.5. I strongly suggest a place like Connies or Skate Out Loud, as they will both send a boot to try beforehand. If it doesn't fit, you are only out the cost of shipping them back. I ordered mine from my local rink, which is best if you have that option.
Old February 13th, 2018, 12:05 AM   #15
ursle
Street Skater

The Solaris is a heel-less boot, For speed skating, a heel-less boot allows the skater to place the foot further forward, then they have a longer push, also, speed skater mount their skates with the plate forward, especially the rear wheels, which again allows the skater to place the skate down even further forward, for an even more powerful push.

I wouldn't think jam skaters would want a heel-less boot, and actually not even a half heel, but a full heel, I'm sure there are heel-less jam skaters but I see tall boots, full heels and laces tied just to the top of the foot, below the ankle.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2018, 12:51 AM   #16
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
The Solaris is a heel-less boot, For speed skating, a heel-less boot allows the skater to place the foot further forward, then they have a longer push, also, speed skater mount their skates with the plate forward, especially the rear wheels, which again allows the skater to place the skate down even further forward, for an even more powerful push.

I wouldn't think jam skaters would want a heel-less boot, and actually not even a half heel, but a full heel, I'm sure there are heel-less jam skaters but I see tall boots, full heels and laces tied just to the top of the foot, below the ankle.
I for sure am not gonna mount my plates far forward or anything sketchy pike that lol. Speed means nothing to me. Going fast is usually counterproductive for doing “tricks” an such.
Now To be fair, im only mostly sure that what ya’ll call jam skating is 1/2 of what i do and none of the skates i have ever seen anyone use back when i went all the time and gave lessons an such had much of a heel except a small one. Not tall like them retro boots that go 1/3 the way up ur leg (those have high heels). What we all used some 20 years ago at all the rinks i went to around Ohio was the hard candies and hand-me-downs if u were poor and new carrerars if u werent and there was a few random ppl i met that that custom made theirs. I think now days ya’ll call them style boots derby/speed skates??? If u take that ugly lace cover off a jam skate they look the same to me so i dont see nor understand the difference to be honest.
Old February 13th, 2018, 02:39 AM   #17
hoohoorjoo

Default The 965 is also a great boot....

if you want a heel. I have and like that boot, as well. But all the Vanilla Jam boots are heel-less. I have a set of Diamond Walkers, as well and I like them, too.
Old February 13th, 2018, 02:58 AM   #18
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoohoorjoo View Post
if you want a heel. I have and like that boot, as well. But all the Vanilla Jam boots are heel-less. I have a set of Diamond Walkers, as well and I like them, too.
Theres not much of a heel but the ones i have had an seen for sure had a slight heel. I dunno whats best. Im VERY out of the skating loop. Theres so many more options now days lol