S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old January 22nd, 2018, 05:52 PM   #1
tjyven

Default Inlines with ice blades

I am thinking about trying to use my inlines for ice skating too, there are adapters so I can mount the blade (165mm) on my inline boots (195mm). Any one here tried that and can recommend it?
tjyven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2018, 05:50 PM   #2
kentek

Default Speedskate or other

What kind of skating are you thinking of: Speed, hockey, figure?

Let me know how it turns out. Do some video for us...
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2018, 06:28 PM   #3
tjyven

Is speed skating, mostly on frozen lakes. At the moment I have a pair of Zandstra speed skates but I like my Pinnacle inlines more so I am thinking about trying them on ice.
Old January 24th, 2018, 05:37 PM   #4
kufman

I think Cado Motus make an ice blade that is 195mm mounting. Other companies may as well.

https://www.cadomotus.com/cadomotus-...nt-blades.html
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2018, 11:20 PM   #5
shesk8

Presuming you are referring to ice speedskating in a rink, or are you thinking natural ice / frozen lakes? If skating natural ice, be mindful that you'll need to nose(round off) the front end of the blade. (similar to the profile on your Zandstras). If skating in a rink, you'll want the blades to have a rounder(short track) radius.

As noted above, Cado makes the XT adjustable fixed blade.

Bont makes a Spec-R 195mm short track blade.

For long track clap blades, it's harder to set up Inline boots with 195mm, as the separations on the ice blades are not compatible with all boot sizes, and the hardware changes from 6M to 5M for most all Long Track set ups.

Cado had also made an exchange plate, but imo that adds weight to set ups.

Any of these are a good place to start up into ice, but ultimately you might consider a dedicated set of ice speedskates.
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2018, 02:02 PM   #6
ursle
Street Skater

It seems for short track ice skating you want a high stiff boot, your inline boot may work.

For long track you want a low flexible boot, leather.

Inline boots aren't leather, and after frequent use the skater developes "horns" calouses on the heel to proctect the body, I would think you would welcome a leather boot to give the foot a rest period before going back to road skating.

For just skating around a rink for exercise I would think you would definitly want a leather boot.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2018, 12:08 AM   #7
bjvircks
Major Trouble

OK... coming from someone who claims to be a cheapskate who has 2 sets of inlines, a set of short track ands a set of long track with claps...

If you are just exploring this, go with the CM adjustable blades. Pay attention to if you are just going out, skating straight for a while and then coming back (natural ice?) or constantly cornering. Listen to Shesk8's guidance about 'nose' (Wife literally grew up on natural ice).

At some time in the future, to preserve your setup's integrity and constancy, or maybe just convenience, you may want to go with dedicated equipment.
Old January 27th, 2018, 06:34 PM   #8
tjyven

My plan was to use my clap blades together with my inlines and having an exchange plate from cado.

Someone knows why ice skates should be rather soft? My zandstra are made from carbon fiber and are rather stiff but the more popular brands among pros are soft and made out of leather. A friend that skates a lot on frozen lakes recommended to have stiffer boots since the ice on lakes is not nearly as good as on real tracks and cracks and bumps are easier to deal with if u have stiffer boots. Still curious why ice skating boots usually are soft while inlines are stiff?
Old January 27th, 2018, 07:02 PM   #9
ursle
Street Skater

Ice blades grip the ice for the length of the blade, no squirming, inlines with 3 wheels only touch the ground for a few centimeters, there's no actual grip, the hard boot holds the foot securely, a leather boot wouldn't give enough balance to the body, a hard shell is something for the body to push against, the transfer of torque happens between the foot and the hard shell boot, the transfer of torque with ice skate happens at the blade on the ice.

Why don't roller skates use hardboots?
Because the transfer of torque happens at the plate.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 02:30 PM   #10
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjyven View Post
My plan was to use my clap blades together with my inlines and having an exchange plate from cado.

Someone knows why ice skates should be rather soft? My zandstra are made from carbon fiber and are rather stiff but the more popular brands among pros are soft and made out of leather. A friend that skates a lot on frozen lakes recommended to have stiffer boots since the ice on lakes is not nearly as good as on real tracks and cracks and bumps are easier to deal with if u have stiffer boots. Still curious why ice skating boots usually are soft while inlines are stiff?
All of the ice boots that I have seen (long track or short track) are still very stiff boots but long track boots tend to be lower cut to allow more ankle movement. Inline and short track ice tend to be the tallest for the most support in the corners.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2018, 05:06 PM   #11
tjyven

I think it differs from brand to brand. My Zandstra are rather stiff (not as my inlines though) but Viking are much softer. For brands like Marchese and Apex I have no idea but maybe they are stiffer.
Old January 29th, 2018, 05:19 PM   #12
bjvircks
Major Trouble

also... short track ice the boots need to accomodate quick pivots, chewed up ice, sudden change-ups and the dynamics of tight pack skating. This means LOTS of support.