S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old January 6th, 2018, 08:30 PM   #21
markwphoto

Update on my knee injury:

Hey everyone! Just thought I would give you an update on my knee injury. After a few months of rolling my legs, stretching, doing eccentric squats on the slant board on a regular basis as well as other exercises mentioned in the book I recommended, I can now say that my knees are 100% better!

I have increased my ankle/calve/tibialis muscle range of motion in that I can now stand 6 1/2 inches from a wall and bend to let me knees touch the wall without letting me heels lift off the ground. On a side note I also no longer have planter fasciitus issues in my feet! I can now do one-legged squats on both legs so my quads have gotten much stronger. I have no issues walking up or down stairs. I can now do a squat all the way down on flat ground with my feet about shoulder width apart, without falling backwards. Finally I can skate easily 2+ hours of freestyle, several times a week, without my knees barking at me the next morning.

I have never felt better skating on my knees. I have even had a few minor falls on my knees but they had no issues from the impact.

Getting the flexibility in my ankles, calves and tibialis has made many techniques even easier, like sit spins for example. I have always had a good inner back sit spin but now it feels effortless. My outerback sit, which I've always had trouble with, is getting lower each week.

I know this is going to be a good year for me skating. I have also had a lot of epiphanies about skating that is allowing me to make progress faster than I ever have before. I've been analyzing things I've done in my skating an comparing it to others and I do believe I've found the secret to skating anything; whether it is dance, figures, 3-turns, loops, jumps, spins, speed, and the list goes on and on. I've even had my wife try out some of my theories and she has grown as a skater literally overnight!

I've been taking detailed notes about all of this and now I'm just trying to simplify everything to make it the easiest for anyone to understand. I'm in the process of putting it all together and plan to share it with everyone soon. If it has helped my wife and me, I'm sure it will certainly help others as well. Stay tuned for all of that!
markwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 06:36 AM   #22
larryoracing

Smile Dear Mark, Thanx for the update.

I always seem to learn amazing things on this internet. Everybody is so knowledgeable and has so much experience to share.

1) Falling in skating is the worst thing you can do, so try to do anything to prevent a fall. The number one thing that takes out old people and sometimes young ones is falling. So whatever you do don't fall!

2) Another trick I learned the other day is the power of God. He can really do wonders in ones skating. Give him a try.

3) Skating is composed of Dance, Figures and Freestyle. Figures help Dance and Dance helps Freestyle.

4) The most important thing to improve ones skating is skating with a partner.
In the old days you didn't skate unless you skated with a partner. I think one of the reasons skating has gone down hill is because it is no longer a requirement to skate couples.

5) If you want to help somebody skate. Skate with that person. It's the most important tool to help another skater.

Good luck and I look forward to your report.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 08:10 AM   #23
markwphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
I always seem to learn amazing things on this internet. Everybody is so knowledgeable and has so much experience to share.

1) Falling in skating is the worst thing you can do, so try to do anything to prevent a fall. The number one thing that takes out old people and sometimes young ones is falling. So whatever you do don't fall!

2) Another trick I learned the other day is the power of God. He can really do wonders in ones skating. Give him a try.

3) Skating is composed of Dance, Figures and Freestyle. Figures help Dance and Dance helps Freestyle.

4) The most important thing to improve ones skating is skating with a partner.
In the old days you didn't skate unless you skated with a partner. I think one of the reasons skating has gone down hill is because it is no longer a requirement to skate couples.

5) If you want to help somebody skate. Skate with that person. It's the most important tool to help another skater.

Good luck and I look forward to your report.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
Hey Larry,

I never wanted to fall in my youth and I did everything in my power to keep from falling if I could. That being said I know I gave myself a few injuries from trying to keep myself from falling. lol. Falling is inevitable and it will happen eventually whether we like it or not. A few weeks ago I fell because of a random nut on the floor.

After I stopped skating the first time I took up martial arts focusing on karate and jujitsu. Jujitsu taught me how to fall without hurting myself. Before you learn anything else, Ukimi which translates to "break fall" is one of the first things you are taught because if you can't fall properly you can't do a throw. Fortunately for me this has transferred over to skating and has saved me many times in my older age. Just last week my wife took a fall learning a new dance cross over step. She slightly sprained her wrist and ended up with a cut on her chin. It could have been worse but she said after she's better she's ready for me to teach her how to fall with break falls. I highly recommend if there is a Jujitsu dojo near you inquire about having them teach you just break falls for a few lessons. It's totally worth it!

I've been in the church all my life and do believe in the power of God. I do know God doesn't usually make miracles happen for you but he does put people, knowledge and comfort in the right place when you need it!

I never skated with a partner when I skated before and I still don't skate with one now. I guess I only want to be responsible for my own injuries but that being said I have worked with my wife a lot and I have seen her progress more in the last few months than she has in the past few years. I do believe in passing on knowledge so that others can get it faster and easier which is the reason why I've felt inclined to pass on what I've learned. I'll have my write up done soon and share it with every one.

Thanks!
Old January 8th, 2018, 10:00 AM   #24
larryoracing

Smile Dear Mark, thanx for the reply. Great response!

I guess I have over emphasized the partner thing, but I guess I have attributed a lot of my strength in skating today from what I did as a youth.

I just turned 63. I don't skate with a girl now, but I feel in the future it will be unavoidable since I have that talent, just like I have the talent for jumping and spinning, that I did for a long time as a youth.

I think in falling doing dance one is quite vulnerable and really all you can hope for is that you fall in a way that doesn't hurt. I don't feel you can break the fall. It happens so fast, but by being in good shape when you hit the floor by a miracle you will be OK.

In freestyle it's seems you are always ready for the fall. Lately I have taken on the premise to go for the landing, sometimes we forget about that and are not ready and fall. If you always are going for the landing at takeoff, you are more like to land the jump and not fall.

And if you fall, you are in pretty good landing position to break the fall or fall and be ready for it. That's when learning how to fall or knowing how to fall comes in handy. You have time to break the fall.

Hope your wife recovers and I hope she can practice those crossovers, not during the dance, but just doing crossovers as a pure exercise, by itself.

Good luck and nice talking to you!

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 03:58 AM   #25
markwphoto

Thanks Larry!

My wife was actually back on the floor two days after she fell. She didn't let it get her down or make her afraid to try again. The last time she fell really bad it took her quite a while to get her confidence back but she's become a much stronger skater in the past few months.