S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old February 4th, 2018, 02:53 AM   #1
amohrfeld

Default Tool to punch boots

Made this tool to punch out boots for the ankle bone. How does everyone else do it?

The sphere is a trailer hitch ball. I machined the cup a little larger than the sphere. Epoxy holds the parts to the clamp.

Used it on my stiff Edea boots. It worked well.

20180203_214140 by Austin Mohrfeld, on Flickr
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 03:28 AM   #2
larryoracing

Smile Very Kool Tool.

Saw a tool similar to this at Regionals, but it was more of a press.

Seems like the sphere and trailer ball idea is the accepted standard for punching out boots.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 02:37 PM   #3
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
Saw a tool similar to this at Regionals, but it was more of a press.

Seems like the sphere and trailer ball idea is the accepted standard for punching out boots.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
What fo ya’ll mean “punching out boots”? I been skating for years an years but have never heard most of the terminology ya’ll use here lol
Old February 4th, 2018, 02:39 PM   #4
amohrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
Saw a tool similar to this at Regionals

Larry Otani
Was the tool for the sale?
I tried to purchase something but couldn't find anything available for sale.

The ice skate shop has a "commercial" clamp. But it's an hour drive and they want $20-$30 to form the boots if you did not purchase from their shop.
Old February 4th, 2018, 02:58 PM   #5
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
Was the tool for the sale?
I tried to purchase something but couldn't find anything available for sale.

The ice skate shop has a "commercial" clamp. But it's an hour drive and they want $20-$30 to form the boots if you did not purchase from their shop.
Na, he built the tool. Thats why he listed what he used to make the “fixture” for whatever purpose it serves. He said the concave an convex parts are held on with epoxy
Old February 4th, 2018, 03:00 PM   #6
larryoracing

Smile Call George at SP Teri Boots.

I think his boot shop is located in San Francisco. Like I said it seemed very similar to yours, but it was bolted to a table and seemed a lot bigger. The "C" clamp portion of your tool seemed much larger on his tool to get more leverage.

I thought the manufacturer of this tool was located in Texas. Just a guess, and I'm probably wrong. I also thought George/The Owner of SP Teri boots said the tool cost was 400-450 dollars.

Also George has a lot of old stock boots he almost gives away. I bought two pairs at Regionals/Fresno, CA...a pair of Silver Stars and and a Pair of Pro Stars at a rock bottom closeout prices. Talk to him... a very nice and intelligent man. He has been working with boots for a long time.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
Old February 4th, 2018, 03:13 PM   #7
ursle
Street Skater

I would head to a ski shop if I needed work, they punch out impossible to move boots all day long, and practice makes perfect, here's a tool that looks industrial...

Most of their work is to make more room for toes and to increase width, but that tool definitly make room for ankle bones, the tool amohrfeld made is great, portable, inexpensive, yankee ingenuity.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 03:41 PM   #8
larryoracing

Smile Hey, Ursle do you have a name and address for this tool?

Thanks and your absolutely right, Amohrfeld's tool is awesome!

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

P.S. I also saw another tool for punching. It was a "U" Channel block for the female part of the tool and a Oval shaped piece metal that fit loosely in the the "U" Channel Block of metal for the male portion of the tool. These two pieces were put into a press to punch out a boot. Just a slightly different idea/creative to punching out a certain part of the boot/mainly around the sides of the little toes, but could be made differently for shaping other parts of the boot, probably using the design of Amohrfelds punch pieces

Here's the link: It's great tool with Mailing Address and Company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8noqYUXXcls

Last edited by larryoracing; February 4th, 2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old February 4th, 2018, 04:05 PM   #9
ursle
Street Skater

I gleamed the picture looking for ski shop boot tools, but there was no info, I like the tool, as I'm on an Ipad I can't right click it and do a google search, if you are on windows try that, then more info should appear, I would think the manufacturer would be interested in sales.
First I looked at cobblers tools, I would think the market to fit cowboy boots would have a tool similar, didn't see any.

Ski shops deal with racers boots, called blanks, light weight and bare, lots of custom fiting is done, the racers want the boots as small as possible, they heat the shell and press it and let it cool, exactly what Bont skate boots need.

I roller skate in a size 9 boot, and I'm 9.5EE, used a lot of lotion and pain to get them stretched, excellent fit, wearing out fast.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 04:07 PM   #10
larryoracing

Smile Another option I have seen on Riedell boots

Is to remove the material/boot/leather in the area that the toes are rubbing on the boots. I bought a pair of these boots. There is just a very soft piece of material covering the area on the inside of the boot, covering the area where the boot material was removed.

I think this general idea could be used on other areas of the boots where the rubbing is occurring.

Here is a photo of the Boot I'm talking about. It's called a Coaches boot.

https://www.google.com/search?q=phot...hNrunaFp7h1lM:

Sincerlely,

Larry Otani

and have a great day!

P.S. I did a little more research and found a youtube video that basically had the same idea as Amohrfeld's but with a slight twist. Simple tools from around the house a heat gun and a thermometer to get the boot to the right temperature before stretching/punching the area in question.

Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RntLK_-lBU

Last edited by larryoracing; February 4th, 2018 at 05:08 PM.
Old February 4th, 2018, 06:41 PM   #11
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Maybe you have been sk8ing in the wrong places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
What fo ya’ll mean “punching out boots”? I been skating for years an years but have never heard most of the terminology ya’ll use here lol
The term is quite common where high top boots are used. It means exactly what it says. A tool is used to put a bulge in the leather to accommodate ankle bones or bunions.
Old February 5th, 2018, 04:09 AM   #12
amohrfeld

This cost about $40 to build. But I have CNC machines at my convenience. (but little free time to use them for fun)
The impression on the boot looks almost identical to the commercial tool.

Also, a heat gun was not needed when using this tool.

I'm still thinking about pushing out the toe area. That video helped. Looks like I need to make another tool.
Old February 5th, 2018, 12:03 PM   #13
fierocious1

Quote:
This cost about $40 to build. But I have CNC machines at my convenience. (but little free time to use them for fun)
The impression on the boot looks almost identical to the commercial tool.

Also, a heat gun was not needed when using this tool.

I'm still thinking about pushing out the toe area. That video helped. Looks like I need to make another tool.
If someone doesn't have a machine to make the cup, a small round piece of metal tacked to a piece of pipe can do the same thing. Mainly a hollow area for the boot to be displaced to would work.
When I punched out my boots I used a large rounded end(2") aluminum rod that was drilled and threaded on one end. Then an all thread rod with a ball on the end would be adjusted out for forcing the offending area out. Then a heat gun was used locally on the spot.
I think your tool would have worked much better than mine though. It helps when you have cool tools
Old February 6th, 2018, 12:29 PM   #14
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
The term is quite common where high top boots are used. It means exactly what it says. A tool is used to put a bulge in the leather to accommodate ankle bones or bunions.
Opy that, thanks!
Old February 11th, 2018, 03:34 PM   #15
dvw
Secretary of Skate

They're called "bunion stretchers"

Old March 8th, 2018, 10:26 PM   #16
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Made this tool to punch out boots for the ankle bone. How does everyone else do it?

The sphere is a trailer hitch ball. I machined the cup a little larger than the sphere. Epoxy holds the parts to the clamp.

Used it on my stiff Edea boots. It worked well.

20180203_214140 by Austin Mohrfeld, on Flickr
These are great,not as much press power as the big ones. But I think think they are even better because you can leave them on overnight and end up having more or the same prees as the big ones. Pluss you place it just the way you want it.

I bought mine here: http://www.pro-filer.com/bootpunch/
$89.99 I don't have the time, resources to make one.
Yours is ingenious use of other parts though!

I almost bought this one (still might, see below) as I have some serious punches I have to make for the shape of my feet. My experience is with softer leather (297 boot) you often have to do many serious punches before it sticks, stays.

I mink oiled mine, big mistake, punches are much harder to stick. The one below is the lowest priced "professional" punch I could find.

http://blademaster.com/web/usa/en/bl...6000&results=5
Old March 8th, 2018, 10:45 PM   #17
BPTS
I made your Mom blush....

I've just always dampened the boot slightly in the trouble spot, laced em up tight and skated them until dry.