S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old December 13th, 2017, 01:37 PM   #1
Default Mixing Komplex Wheels

Hello, all -
What mixture of Komplex wheels do any of you use for freestyle/session skating? Looking for a mixture that will work on various skating surfaces (i.e., wood, plastic, etc.). Thanks!
srknurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #2

I used a Purple and White Bolero combination for a season, a couple of seasons ago. They were very good for those very cold mornings up here in New England.

I did find them easy to flat though.......at a comp, I dont even know what I did, next thing I know...thumpthumpthumpthumpthumpthump...... took them off and put on my 101a set, skated comp. Had my buddy turn them all down to the smallest wheel, used them through Nationals.

I now have them sittingin a box, and went back to my 101a set......

I think that they were a fad at my rinks, others have since moved on to different wheels.

emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 05:52 PM   #3
..., therefore, I skate.

The Komplex wheels were a waste of money. I've never had a wheel flat-spot so easily.
Riedell 336, Roll-Line Mistral, Roll-Line Panthers. Swiss Labyrinth II .
sk84luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #4

I think that a waste of money is a little strong, different equipment for different people.

you get what you like, and have sucess with......People have to experiment with different brands, to find what works for them.

I liked them at the time, except for the flat...after I ground them down, I never got another flat...gave them a fair shake, just not my cup of tea.

Their mileage may vary.......

i know that you are asking about Komplex.... but you may also want to look into a brand....STD....out of Germany (I think) Nice wheel, on all surfaces, including cold floors, grip like crazy, yet roll, pretty good, in my opinion they are tad softer, no flat spot experiences.........I used them this past season, with great sucess, up to and through Nationals......... but again, I went back to my 101a......just my taste.

you have to try a lot of wheels to see what works for you , you may end up with many different sets, depending onthe different floors you visit.......

emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #5
Sir Aaron

I flattened two sets of Komplex at Nationals. Any T stop and they’re done. That was two sets of Bolero. Uggh.

I really like the Roll Line Fluido for freestyle and session. Also Komplex D’Aliseras were ok.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2017, 04:43 AM   #6
Smile What a very “complex” question…lol!

I don’t know if we have answered srknurse’s question, but I asked a fellow skater what wheels was she wearing on her Freestyle skates. She answered “Komplex, Ghibli freestyle wheels in a ‘checkerboard’ pattern of Yellow (96 hardness) and Blue (98 hardness).

These wheels are at the extreme side on the hardness scale. I don’t know if she used these wheels at Nationals, but Nationals is a very tight floor. Our floor is tight and other floors in the area are slippery, so a softer wheel of Komplex Hardness 93 and 96/checkerboard pattern might have to be used on the more slippery floors in our area.

I personally use a Roll Line wheel for Freestyle and the hardness is 97A, which is the hardest wheel Roll Line makes in the Freestyle wheel. If I went to a more slippery floor I would try a Roll Line Freestyle 95A hardness. I don't checkerboard my wheels for Freestyle but run a 101A hardness on the inside wheels of my dance skates and 103A Hardness on the outside wheels of my dance skates and these are the standard Bones wheels, but I have used the Bone Super Elite wheels, which some people do not like. I like them...lol!

On my figure skates I basically run the Roll Line Ghiotto 54 Hardness wheels on the outside wheels and the Roll Line Magnum 53 hardness on the inside wheels. I will admit I bought a brand new set of Komplex Figure wheels at Nationals, but have not mounted them up yet. Just lazy...lol!

Larry Otani and Good Luck!
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote