S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:28 PM   #21
hoffmonster
Senior Member
 
hoffmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 221
Default

All I gots to say is...

Ouch!!!

Hoffmonster
hoffmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:00 AM   #22
CrazyGambit
Socially Unacceptable
 
CrazyGambit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Huntsville Alabama
Posts: 1,010
Default

Yeah i watched the videos too, i still do not get what the purpose of the one wheel skate is. I can say the video with the bike trailer tires was a trip.
__________________
Sean
CrazyGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM   #23
kufman
Senior Member
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheelskate View Post
the onewheelskate would be good for cross training, a change of pace. If one would maintain the inline skate technique (pushing out to the side) one would be on point instead of being on a 13 inch platform.

the dcrinllineskate is only good for training for the onewheelskate.
I think it will promote more bad habits than anything. I don't see any extension in the strokes and with the wheel where it is, you are pushing from the wrong part of the foot. It also doesn't appear that you can lift the non pushing foot off the ground so you can't practice proper leg recovery after the push. I have made all kinds of crazy skates, but this one still confuses me.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:36 PM   #24
darthblader
Senior Member
 
darthblader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 116
Default

If nothing else, onewheelskate, I applaud you for doing something different and unique! If the size of speedskate wheels continues to increase, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone ends up on these, anyway...
darthblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:38 PM   #25
darthblader
Senior Member
 
darthblader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 116
Default ...not speedskating related but...

...I'd like to see somebody try those on a half-pipe!!!
darthblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:48 PM   #26
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates
 
tdellaringa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Dundee, IL
Posts: 1,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthblader View Post
If nothing else, onewheelskate, I applaud you for doing something different and unique! If the size of speedskate wheels continues to increase, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone ends up on these, anyway...
Not one chance that will ever happen. It's fun to experiment for sure, but a skate like this has no real practical application to real skating. I could only see harm coming from even attempting to skate on it, which the author himself even intimated.

Regarding wheel size, plenty of people feel we've about hit the apex of size. You can't really go much bigger without losing a lot of control over the wheel, not without going to a 3-wheel setup, which is a whole other conversation.
__________________
http://www.teamrainbo.com - Oldest Inline Speedskating team in the USA!
http://www.maroonedcomic.com - My Comic!
tdellaringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:00 PM   #27
darthblader
Senior Member
 
darthblader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Regarding wheel size, plenty of people feel we've about hit the apex of size. You can't really go much bigger without losing a lot of control over the wheel, not without going to a 3-wheel setup, which is a whole other conversation.
__________________

I'm stopping at 100's, myself. I don't race anyway...
darthblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #28
onewheelskate
lateralclapskate
 
onewheelskate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Markleeville CA 96120
Posts: 85
Default THE VIDEO OF the qsk8 v.dcr-inline-clapskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Cowbell View Post
I don't get it either, and your explanation doesn't make it any clearer. Do you have any videos of someone skating on these?
THE VIDEO
So after an hour of practice here is the video.
when going to Kittyhawk you won't see a shuttle launch
__________________
http://www.gailson.com
http://worldrecordspedespeed.blogspot.com/
http://pedespeed.blogspot.com/
onewheelskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #29
oompie
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 45
Default

fast as hell!! Mantia eat your heart out!!

Don't see any benefit though so you must be in great shape. Try this a day and you probably pull every muscle you can by twisting your leg like that. Not to mention your big talent for toe-pushing
oompie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #30
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates
 
tdellaringa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Dundee, IL
Posts: 1,900
Default

It seems to me you're doing the exact opposite of what the desired action would be.
__________________
http://www.teamrainbo.com - Oldest Inline Speedskating team in the USA!
http://www.maroonedcomic.com - My Comic!
tdellaringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #31
kufman
Senior Member
 
kufman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,086
Default

I am all for weird setups and experimentation, but this one I just don't understand.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #32
onewheelskate
lateralclapskate
 
onewheelskate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Markleeville CA 96120
Posts: 85
Default doing the exact opposite of what would be?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdellaringa View Post
It seems to me you're doing the exact opposite of what the desired action would be.
Disclaimer time: the fire fox which is not a fox but a panda bear
likewise the qsk8 v.dcr-inline is not really skating even though one is rolling on a frame of inline wheels.
The actual motion is not skating but diagonal-centripetal-rotation stepping, striding,or running.

* p.p.s OK. So why do this?
I wanted the onewheelskate dynamic*
The onewheelskate dynamic is thus: Because I am on two unicycles things are going on that I do not have the Newtonian physics to explain. But when you push off one foot that foot rotates in the direction of the anticipated foot. Which means that at the end of the push both feet are on the same line and pointing the same direction.

I hope this disclaimer helps, besides when you pass me on a loop course you will be momentarily amused until the real reason why you skate takes over. Like lactic acid over load
__________________
http://www.gailson.com
http://worldrecordspedespeed.blogspot.com/
http://pedespeed.blogspot.com/
onewheelskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #33
darthblader
Senior Member
 
darthblader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 116
Default

I bet crossovers would be interesting!
darthblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #34
unisk8r
FSCC
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15
Default

You might want to try Heelys as well. Only they're more practical.
unisk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 04:33 AM   #35
onewheelskate
lateralclapskate
 
onewheelskate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Markleeville CA 96120
Posts: 85
Default danger will robinson-- video of crossovers coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthblader View Post
I bet crossovers would be interesting!
crossovers will be easy to video. The snow around here is turning into sierra cement so it's time to skate or rather roll.
Lets see if by april if I get a video up on the net of the lateralclapskate doing crossovers. Doing crossovers will be a major mile stone in mastering these lateralclapskates.
__________________
http://www.gailson.com
http://worldrecordspedespeed.blogspot.com/
http://pedespeed.blogspot.com/
onewheelskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #36
Drella
alive with pleasure
 
Drella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between Thought and Expression
Posts: 757
Default

I just found this on Richard's site. It appears that he's gone custom-loco too...





edit: Let's not forget this little gem!

Last edited by Drella; March 17th, 2008 at 07:53 PM.
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #37
unisk8r
FSCC
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15
Default

This is not a flame, but skating is now competing with bicycling as harboring the most impractical, offbeat, and whimsical designs which have little to do with the actual activity!
unisk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #38
inlina
ABEC42
 
inlina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drella View Post
Funny thing is...Landroller started at a similar concept and realised very quickly it didn't work.

http://www.landroller.com/story.html ...see pages 2-6

I seem to come across people quite often that try concepts that have been attempted before and failed. A little bit of benchmarking on the internet quickly shows what people have tried and where it went wrong.

CG
__________________
Mission Inhlaer DS1 & Axiom T8, Salomon FSK S-Labs, Roces Graals, RB Coyotes
http://coreyeligibson.com.au
inlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 02:32 PM   #39
Skatey
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Baltimore!
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unisk8r View Post
This is not a flame, but skating is now competing with bicycling as harboring the most impractical, offbeat, and whimsical designs which have little to do with the actual activity!
I don't think this guy's "invention" is indicative of much.

It's completely nonsense. In the video, the only time he actually gets forward momentum is when he's at the end of the twist, and finally puts a little force into the ground. That is, when he actually performs the motion of an inline skater.

The design of this "skate" seems to not be an improvement, but a deliberate attempt to make the motion of skating ineffective. It's as if he is trying to improve running by spinning on his toe.

Any time he starts talking about physics, it's inane. "Diagonal-centripetal-rotation" are words that one might find in a physics class, but stringing them together doesn't make an invention.

If you try to cut through what he's saying, he gets to the possibility that this avoids "lactic acid over load". Well, if that's true, it's true because you can't actually move in these things. Sitting on the couch avoids "lactic acid over load", too, but I'm not posting videos of me doing it on a skating message board.

Now, the clap-skate is an invention. It recognizes where power in skating comes from and is designed to extract more power from the stroke. If you want to change inline skating. . .make a light, efficient clap skate.

If you want to say things like, "they didn't fly a space shuttle at Kittyhawk" and never get called out on your BS, invent a "diagonal-centripetal-rotation" device.
Skatey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:35 AM   #40
onewheelskate
lateralclapskate
 
onewheelskate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Markleeville CA 96120
Posts: 85
Default impressed with non flame -back to the pavement for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatey View Post
I don't think this guy's "invention" is indicative of much.

It's completely nonsense. In the video, the only time he actually gets forward momentum is when he's at the end of the twist, and finally puts a little force into the ground. That is, when he actually performs the motion of an inline skater.

The design of this "skate" seems to not be an improvement, but a deliberate attempt to make the motion of skating ineffective. It's as if he is trying to improve running by spinning on his toe.

Any time he starts talking about physics, it's inane. "Diagonal-centripetal-rotation" are words that one might find in a physics class, but stringing them together doesn't make an invention.

If you try to cut through what he's saying, he gets to the possibility that this avoids "lactic acid over load". Well, if that's true, it's true because you can't actually move in these things. Sitting on the couch avoids "lactic acid over load", too, but I'm not posting videos of me doing it on a skating message board.

Now, the clap-skate is an invention. It recognizes where power in skating comes from and is designed to extract more power from the stroke. If you want to change inline skating. . .make a light, efficient clap skate.

If you want to say things like, "they didn't fly a space shuttle at Kittyhawk" and never get called out on your BS, invent a "diagonal-centripetal-rotation" device.
nice non flame
the snow is now gone from the neighborhood, so lateralclapskate time.
video by april of crossovers G_d willing
by for now
__________________
http://www.gailson.com
http://worldrecordspedespeed.blogspot.com/
http://pedespeed.blogspot.com/
onewheelskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.