S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old June 27th, 2017, 09:45 PM   #1
amohrfeld

Default Removing stuck plate nuts

How do you guys remove stuck plate nuts. I'm referring to the mounting screws that can not be restrained from inside the boot. I obviously don't have the right tool. I used an angle grinder and a 4" diamond wheel to grind off the nut. It worked, but I marred the hanger a little.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 02:03 AM   #2
wired

If they are the ones that have a short fat slot I reground a screwdriver bit to fit.

Old June 28th, 2017, 05:07 AM   #3
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

I either ground the stud flat first and OR put tension between boot and plate.
Some can be a bugger to get off..I,m talking about the snapped of stud type of mounting bolts.Old school stuff
Old June 28th, 2017, 08:18 AM   #4
leshomes

Default Rotary drill

Use a rotary drill and cut a slot into the head of the bolt inside the boot. Then hold the bolt with a flat head screwdriver and undo the nut. If the nut is spinning on the bolt (threaded) I carefully cut through the nut and bolt with a thin cutting disc and then break the nut off.
Old June 29th, 2017, 05:27 AM   #5
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Default Theme and variations

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
I used an angle grinder and a 4" diamond wheel to grind off the nut. It worked, but I marred the hanger a little.
Dremel tool and a heavy cut off wheel. Slice through the center of the bolt, cut the nut in half. Stick a flatblade screwdriver in the slot and twist.
Old June 30th, 2017, 09:51 AM   #6
rwsz

a simple method with no grinding is to grab the nut with a vice grip and use forward and back motion and the nut will snap the bolt and come off easy with very little or no damage to the plate. used this method for 30 years
Old June 30th, 2017, 05:43 PM   #7
fierocious1

Default I have found

in the past that if I tighten the nut down first(usually there is not a problem tightening them up more), then grind the broken off end of the bolt down to the face of the nut, with a file or die grinder. The distorted threads of the bolt will be gone, so resistance will be much less and nut will turn and come off the end of the mounting bolts much much easier.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 03:16 PM   #8
amohrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
in the past that if I tighten the nut down first(usually there is not a problem tightening them up more), then grind the broken off end of the bolt down to the face of the nut, with a file or die grinder. The distorted threads of the bolt will be gone, so resistance will be much less and nut will turn and come off the end of the mounting bolts much much easier.
I was able to do that on 2 nuts.
Old July 10th, 2017, 12:23 PM   #9
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
I was able to do that on 2 nuts.
Lots of times you can still use the old mounting bolts when you remove them this way. Having a die grinder is a big plus too. The die grinder makes it much faster but also you can damage your plate much faster too if you don't have the plate in a vise or clamped down in some way. One slip and a die grinder can ruin a nicely finished polished plate.
Plastic plates will melt from bolt heat as well, so you have to be careful when grinding down the ends of the bolts with a die grinder. Hit it for a short time and give it a break or work on another bolt, then come back and hit it again. Letting the bolts cool down and not letting the bolts get really hot will prevent the plastic plates from melting. I bought some used plastic plates a while back and it had some heat damage but was not ruined.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2017, 01:19 PM   #10
amohrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Lots of times you can still use the old mounting bolts when you remove them this way. Having a die grinder is a big plus too. The die grinder makes it much faster but also you can damage your plate much faster too if you don't have the plate in a vise or clamped down in some way. One slip and a die grinder can ruin a nicely finished polished plate.
Plastic plates will melt from bolt heat as well, so you have to be careful when grinding down the ends of the bolts with a die grinder. Hit it for a short time and give it a break or work on another bolt, then come back and hit it again. Letting the bolts cool down and not letting the bolts get really hot will prevent the plastic plates from melting. I bought some used plastic plates a while back and it had some heat damage but was not ruined.
I ruined a set of plastic plates this way. I was ok with it because I thought they were garbage anyway. The flexed when turning and I could not get the cushions to the preload I wanted. They would have been acceptable If the SG cushions would have fit.