S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old May 15th, 2017, 02:44 AM   #1
zowenso

Default Anyone ever tried Powder coating plates.

Hello. Has anyone ever powder coated plates? Have some plates coming on some skates I ordered and they are silver, I want black. If I chicken out on replacing them, I may look into powder coating them. Anyone ever try this? Should I not have the pivot cup hole done? I'm wondering if the cups won't fit back in? Same with the stopper hole? Thanks.
zowenso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:59 AM   #2
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zowenso View Post
Hello. Has anyone ever powder coated plates? Have some plates coming on some skates I ordered and they are silver, I want black. If I chicken out on replacing them, I may look into powder coating them. Anyone ever try this? Should I not have the pivot cup hole done? I'm wondering if the cups won't fit back in? Same with the stopper hole? Thanks.
I've done it and it works just fine. The key is in the metal prep to make sure it sticks and there are no impurities under it.

You're correct, don't coat the toe stop or kingpin threads and pivot cups, or any other dimentionally critical surface. You'll hate yourself in the morning if you do.
Old May 15th, 2017, 07:11 AM   #3
zowenso

Thanks. So what else beside the king pin threads, pivot cup and toe stoppers would be dimensionally critical? Wouldn't that be it? Thanks.
Old May 15th, 2017, 06:21 PM   #4
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Thanks. So what else beside the king pin threads, pivot cup and toe stoppers would be dimensionally critical? Wouldn't that be it? Thanks.
What plate?
Old May 17th, 2017, 01:49 AM   #5
zowenso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
What plate?
It's a sure grip super X plate. Thanks.
Old May 17th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #6
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
It's a sure grip super X plate. Thanks.
Kingpin and toe stop. You can probably coat the pivot holes or not since there's a rubber bushing that goes in there.

Are you going to powder coat the trucks too? Ask your guy if he can mask off the axles.

Since you have them torn down all the way, you might consider converting them to reverse kingpins. Not expensive and not hard to do.
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:59 PM   #7
zowenso

Quote:
Kingpin and toe stop. You can probably coat the pivot holes or not since there's a rubber bushing that goes in there.

Are you going to powder coat the trucks too? Ask your guy if he can mask off the axles.

Since you have them torn down all the way, you might consider converting them to reverse kingpins. Not expensive and not hard to do.

Yeah I may do the trucks too.

Oh man!!! Can I switch the king pins? Where can I learn how to do that? I looked between the plate and boot, at the king pin hole and it didn't look like a king pin would fit in the other way. I would loooove to do that. Can you point me in a direction that can help?
Old May 18th, 2017, 05:53 AM   #8
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Yeah I may do the trucks too.

Oh man!!! Can I switch the king pins? Where can I learn how to do that? I looked between the plate and boot, at the king pin hole and it didn't look like a king pin would fit in the other way. I would loooove to do that. Can you point me in a direction that can help?
The kingpins are easy.

Harry's Studs. Meant to do exactly what you want to do. Any skate builder worth talking to will be able to get them for you.

Old May 18th, 2017, 05:06 PM   #9
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Now I will tell yinz a story.

Jim Ball is the current president of SGI. Harry was Jim Ball's father. (SGI has been family owned for a long time) Harry was quite the innovator and had a bunch of these studs made up way back in the day. He was on the right track, but the inertia in the sk8 industry relegated them to a shelf in the warehouse. If I remember correctly "What the heck are we gonna do with these?? Was a common question.

Fast forward to mid 2009. I got an email from SG with pics of an unusual truck the V.P. found "on the shelf" in the warehouse. It was the DA45 casting. After a bit of back and forth, this then this happened.

Sure Grip also developed the Super Cushions for this project as well.. Fun stuff right?? It all led up to the Avenger.
Old May 19th, 2017, 01:04 AM   #10
zowenso

Quote:
The kingpins are easy.

Harry's Studs. Meant to do exactly what you want to do. Any skate builder worth talking to will be able to get them for you.

I wish I knew a skate builder in my area. Can I order that king pin and the two nuts and do it myself or? So the end of the king pin closest to the boot doesn't end up sticking up higher than the plate? I can see the nut for that end is like half the height of the nylon threaded nut. I wish there was a local guy to help with this stuff lol Sorry to bug you guys.
Old May 19th, 2017, 05:12 AM   #11
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
I wish I knew a skate builder in my area.
Where are you? Maybe you do. If there's a post office, you're closer than you think.

Quote:
Can I order that king pin and the two nuts and do it myself or? So the end of the king pin closest to the boot doesn't end up sticking up higher than the plate? I can see the nut for that end is like half the height of the nylon threaded nut. I wish there was a local guy to help with this stuff lol Sorry to bug you guys.
Yes, absolutely. Lots of online places have them. Doc does, and I think I have some also.

It's easy to do. Remove and discard the old kingpins. Run the jam nut onto the stud as far as it will go. Thread that end into the plate. Tighten the jam nut against the plate. Note: The threads are not the same on the stud, and will only go into the plate one way. If it acts like it won't go, flip it around. no, it won't stick up too far. These studs are made specifically to do this.

Now reassemble the cushions and trucks like you normally would. Put the nylock on last and tighten to adjust the action to your liking. Since you're coming this far, you should replace the cushions and retainers. Get the new urethane super cushions. Cheap upgrade.

Nuttin to it.

And you're no bother - glad to help, anytime. PM me and I'll give you my email and phone number. I'm sure Doc would do the same.
Old May 19th, 2017, 06:14 PM   #12
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Where are you? Maybe you do. If there's a post office, you're closer than you think.

dvw is absolutely correct. This will take longer to unpack and repack than actually do the work.

Yes, absolutely. Lots of online places have them. Doc does, and I think I have some also.

Yepper.. I got a set or 2 right here.

It's easy to do. Remove and discard the old kingpins. Run the jam nut onto the stud as far as it will go. Thread that end into the plate. Tighten the jam nut against the plate. Note: The threads are not the same on the stud, and will only go into the plate one way. If it acts like it won't go, flip it around. no, it won't stick up too far. These studs are made specifically to do this.

^What he said.

Now reassemble the cushions and trucks like you normally would. Put the nylock on last and tighten to adjust the action to your liking. Since you're coming this far, you should replace the cushions and retainers. Get the new urethane super cushions. Cheap upgrade.

Nuttin to it.

Again dvw is spot on.

And you're no bother - glad to help, anytime. PM me and I'll give you my email and phone number. I'm sure Doc would do the same.
Pretty much... It's why we do this. I can really only speak for myself, but I really am not a fan of unhappy sk8rs.
Old May 19th, 2017, 06:18 PM   #13
zowenso

Thanks for the help and patience. So, if anyone has the king pins and nuts needed for 2 skates, id love to buy some. There are so many cushions and washers out there too, I'd have no clue what to get. Which would be just your average cushions?

Dvw, I may take you up on the email/pm help too, if I need it when I try to make this conversion.

Thanks.
Old May 19th, 2017, 06:49 PM   #14
zowenso

Thanks for helping too, Doc. I didn't see your post until after I posted mine.

If you have enough king pins and nuts for two skates, I'd love to buy some.

Also, as far as cushions go, I see tapered ones and non tapered. Do I use a combination of the two or just two non tapered? Does it matter?

Thanks guys.

EDIT: I can't find those king pins for sale. Sure grip site says I need to be a dealer. One other place is over seas I think. There looks to be a used set of 4 on eBay for $30, but I'm not sure they are right. Thanks.

Last edited by zowenso; May 20th, 2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old May 20th, 2017, 01:24 AM   #15
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default NOTE:

Either one of us are just a PM away.
Old May 20th, 2017, 11:44 AM   #16
zowenso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Either one of us are just a PM away.
Thanks to you both. I've sent you a pm.

And, dvw, I'll be taking you up on your help offer. I'll pm or email you, when needed. Really appreciate it.

Owen
Old May 21st, 2017, 05:12 AM   #17
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Pretty much... It's why we do this. I can really only speak for myself, but I really am not a fan of unhappy sk8rs.
What he said.

Quote:
And, dvw, I'll be taking you up on your help offer. I'll pm or email you, when needed. Really appreciate it.
Anytime, Owen.
Old May 21st, 2017, 10:15 AM   #18
Rollmazicon

http://www.2n1skateshoppe.com/Sure-G...pin_p_661.html

Is it really worth performing upgrades on a $50 cast aluminum plate?
Rollmazicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 04:00 PM   #19
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmazicon View Post
http://www.2n1skateshoppe.com/Sure-G...pin_p_661.html

Is it really worth performing upgrades on a $50 cast aluminum plate?
I guess that all depends on if there is a reason that plate would matter to the owner. Or for that matter, maybe the owner wants to learn about how this stuff works?? There are a zillion reasons to play with old "worthless" stuff. I have spent my whole "career" as a sk8 builder doing that very thing.

Back in 1999 I spent 8 months trying to find a decent Labeda Pro Line because all the "good" sk8rs said it was the only sk8 to have..... Boy, were they wrong...@ least from my perspective. I still have them BTW but they bare no resemblance to their OG condition, or the condition I found them in.

All that not withstanding, I asked the OP that very question and I have a much better idea why he wants to do what he is doing.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 04:48 PM   #20
Dekindy

What does "reverse kingpins" mean? What does this do for the skate?
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote