S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old December 4th, 2015, 07:34 AM   #21
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

If i knew then what i know now...

I would never have dislocated my shoulder because I would have fallen correctly on my skateboard almost 15 years ago. I reached back, a terrible thing to do. A sorr hand or elbow would have been far better than the dislocation, and other dislocations after that plus surgery to fix the problem.

Knowing how to fall out of reaction by training a correct safe response to a fall is essentiial for your safety.
Old December 5th, 2015, 01:15 PM   #22
SueSkate

I wish I had somewhere to practice the falling techniques. I thought about trying some falls on the living room rug, but for some reason I just can't make myself fall...lol...try it!, it's a lot harder to do than to say.
We are having a special session tonight at our rink. All disco music! Costume optional. Hubby is going to be a hippie and I am dressing like a 70's diva. Who knew that roller skating could be so much fun?!

Last edited by SueSkate; December 5th, 2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: grammer
SueSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 03:22 PM   #23
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueSkate View Post
I wish I had somewhere to practice the falling techniques. I thought about trying some falls on the living room rug, but for some reason I just can't make myself fall...lol...try it!, it's a lot harder to do and to say.
We are having a special session tonight at our rink. All disco music! Costume optional. Hubby is going to be a hippie and I am dressing like a 70's diva. Who knew that roller skating could be so much fun?!
me
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 03:33 PM   #24
Zafira

SueSkate,
The martial arts guy I date suggested that I take beginner Judo. He said basically the first 6 weeks they fall and throw.
Maybe a couple of yoga mats piled on each other or those mats that the kids use for rest period if you want more cushion than the rug?
Here's a beginner Judo video with examples of falling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFPPrhxPFR4

From my understanding of it, the hand slapping helps displace energy. So your body will take less of the force. I need to go do this, if I fall forward I always slam down.
Last two times I fell going backwards I was surprisingly unscathed.
Personally I don't care if anyone is laughing, I just don't want an injury that hampers my profession. Otherwise I don't have the income to pay for skating
Zafira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 01:02 AM   #25
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
I wish I had somewhere to practice the falling techniques. I thought about trying some falls on the living room rug, but for some reason I just can't make myself fall...lol...try it!, it's a lot harder to do than to say.
Right, don't even think about falling with roller skates on, tumbling on matts is one thing, falling with heavy weighs on your feet is another.
Again, if you are constantly in a situation where others make you fall often, wear wrist guards, don't plan "ahead" for action to take when falling, just fall, spread the body surface that meets the ground out, most falls are at low speed... and don't hit your head...
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 04:32 PM   #26
Derrick

Default A reason to fall

I have played the wipe-out game for many years. Most rinks don't do it anymore, but it is an excellent learn to fall game.

Now for the why: if you don't go all the way to the floor you'll never know how far you can go before falling. Ironically, LEARNING TO FALL ALSO TEACHES YOU TO NOT FALL.

Also, you may never learn some elements, say shoot-the-duck, if you think your going to fall. If you know that isn't going to hurt anyway, then you can try new things.

If you want to take the just go for it advice, whatever you want to do. Go ahead, throw a double-axel and see what happens. I prefer to know I have a reasonable chance of living even though I just strapped wheels to my feet.
Old December 6th, 2015, 11:40 PM   #27
SueSkate

Quote:
Oh...we had such a good time! No kiddies, adults only, and all that good "old" music. There was a skater there that was 70something; an incredibly good skater, he made quad jam skating look effortless. Most of the skaters had snow on the rooftop, including me. And let me tell you all that these "senior" guys and gals could really skate! And BTW, I had no falls last night. I did not participate in the backwards skate only because the floor was too crowded. I will practice more on Tuesday.
Old December 7th, 2015, 03:14 AM   #28
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Right, don't even think about falling with roller skates on, tumbling on matts is one thing, falling with heavy weighs on your feet is another.
Again, if you are constantly in a situation where others make you fall often, wear wrist guards, don't plan "ahead" for action to take when falling, just fall, spread the body surface that meets the ground out, most falls are at low speed... and don't hit your head...
When your misinformed, its just that.

Falling is body positioning, More importantly how not to fall, foghting the reaction to reach back. Like I said before, no wrist guard ever orevented a shoulder dislocation or a broken collar bone. These are primarily caused by an improper fall, this must be a trained reaction. If you dont get it, dont bother advising incorrect information over various other sources of professional athlete's.

Skates dont weigh much more than boots do, and they dint affect my fall in the least, its a fall not a double back flip with a full twist
Old December 24th, 2015, 12:09 AM   #29
SueSkate

Well, been practicing for a couple of weeks now. I found that I am able to skate backwards with help from Hubby. During the backwards skate, he skates forward and me backwards while holding hands. The little bit of hand hold gives me more confidence. Also, we talk while skating so I am not so tense, nervous, and focused about going backwards.
Although I am doing it, I still feel it will take many months for me to regain the confidence I need to go it alone.
Old December 26th, 2015, 11:47 AM   #30
Derrick

Quote:
Well, been practicing for a couple of weeks now. I found that I am able to skate backwards with help from Hubby. During the backwards skate, he skates forward and me backwards while holding hands. The little bit of hand hold gives me more confidence. Also, we talk while skating so I am not so tense, nervous, and focused about going backwards.
Although I am doing it, I still feel it will take many months for me to regain the confidence I need to go it alone.
Don't just wait for the backward skates. A little here, a little there. Turn around skate, skate back to forward. Don't have to do a full round, just get a little practice throughout the entire evening and you will be confident in no time.
Old December 27th, 2015, 02:52 AM   #31
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Don't just wait for the backward skates. A little here, a little there. Turn around skate, skate back to forward. Don't have to do a full round, just get a little practice throughout the entire evening and you will be confident in no time.
This. Because a lot of transitions will make you more comfortable with going backwards in general. More transitional skill helps alot, 180 pivot then continue the same direction you started to complete a 360. And also a 180 then back the way you came. Doing this from both sides, so you can turn any direction to get around at any time.
Old January 7th, 2016, 01:32 AM   #32
SueSkate

Quote:
I have been practicing! Doing the transition turns as you suggested. It is getting easier and I am gaining more confidence. Last night during the backwards skate (I skated to the whole song) we reversed direction and skated backwards, backwards direction. I was nervous but thought, what the heck...and I did it! No falls!
By the way..is that backwards skate, opposite skating direction called "fakey"? I thought I heard someone say that a few years ago when I was watching snowboarding on TV.
Old January 7th, 2016, 11:21 AM   #33
Derrick

Quote:
I have been practicing! Doing the transition turns as you suggested. It is getting easier and I am gaining more confidence. Last night during the backwards skate (I skated to the whole song) we reversed direction and skated backwards, backwards direction. I was nervous but thought, what the heck...and I did it! No falls!
By the way..is that backwards skate, opposite skating direction called "fakey"? I thought I heard someone say that a few years ago when I was watching snowboarding on TV.
The term might of been "faking". When you go up the half pipe like your going to do something, but just let gravity take you back down. It's generally used to get used to the half pipe. Well, for me it's the only thing I do on a half pipe.
Old January 7th, 2016, 11:35 AM   #34
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

"Fakie" if i remember it right is traveling the unnatural direction on your skateboard or snowboard. I ride regular on a skate or snowboard which is my left shoulder forward. My "fakie" would be if I rode "goofy" which if right shoulder forward.
Old January 8th, 2016, 03:42 AM   #35
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Quite Normal to be Afraid

Hi

First note on yours before reading anyones. I like doing that.

Quote:
o - o Is it simply my age and maturity after thirty years that tells me to not do it?
Also, what advice can you give me as a confidence builder to continue to attempt backwards skating?
Lots of things go on when you are skating backwards and doing it reasonably. You are looking both ways, looking for obstacles, adjusting. Even not that great backward skaters are doing a lot to skate through the crowd.

SO As an older more experienced person, you recognize that not everything that makes you comfortable backwards is working. Again Normal relearning.
and Only Floor time helps you come back.

Not much help as a confidence builder ON LINE. Normally where I skate the younger people like you see me skate at much older than them, and that is quite all the confidence they need.

OK, let me go read some notes and interactions.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old January 8th, 2016, 03:50 AM   #36
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default No tightening of the wheels.

Quote:
o - o One more question... do you think that making my wheels "tighter" will aid in my backwards quest? The bearings I have are so fast. I thought that tightening the wheels might slow me down a tad and make it easier. Thanks all
If you need to go down to softer wheels, even Derby wheels, that would be a better solution. Keep those wheels and bearings turning JUST right with no slop or over tightness.

BTW I know many that do that tightening, that make experts I know cringe.

Old January 8th, 2016, 03:54 AM   #37
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default No Holding Hands, Just Light Support

Hi Again

Quote:
The proper way to do this is to have him put his arms under yours and for you to put yours on top about half way up. The idea is that you learn on your own and use minimal support.

Don't remember which book or teacher I learned this from, yet it has been ages.

Old January 8th, 2016, 04:03 AM   #38
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default An Aside on Falling

Hi Z

Not keeping up with the entire tread yet, yet I love falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zafira View Post
I'm with you Mort.

I'm dating someone who is a blackbelt in numerous martial arts as well as an instructor. When I said something about a fall skating, he said "you need to learn to fall correctly" and showed me some techniques.
Next time I fell I slammed down hard the same old way. When I told him, first thing out of his mouth "have you been practicing what I showed you? you need to make it muscle memory because you don't have time to think about it when it happens".
Of course I haven't been practicing. Ouch.
First Story I told before: Was a WW!! paratrooper, might have been a later conflict. His adult grand kids where scared to have him skate, must have known he was still cocky. Well he did fall a few times, yet each fall was like a roll and he got back up again easily. Since I am usually the oldest on the floor he stopped to tell me his story about learning how to fall from shoots in the sky.

Second: When I broke my wrist more than a decade ago, i watched kids skate and fall for weeks. They were beautiful in how they just let it all go without any rigidity. Of course then I practiced moves that got me low to the floor almost in fall position. Mort knows this already about me.

Old January 8th, 2016, 04:13 AM   #39
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Two Footing

Hi Sue

Quote:
Never heard it called fakey, so where do you hail from. Not just East Coast. New England, Mid Atlantic, Carolinas, Florida.

Now I hope you are two foot skating backwards. I have seen the one leg out front doing the wiggle as a backwards skating technique.

And now go up on your toes, and do some backwards cross stepping. OK OK I am stretching you with backwards cross stepping

Old January 8th, 2016, 12:14 PM   #40
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post

Now I hope you are two foot skating backwards. I have seen the one leg out front doing the wiggle as a backwards skating technique.

And now go up on your toes, and do some backwards cross stepping. OK OK I am stretching you with backwards cross stepping
Perhaps stroking before cross steeping.

Two foot backward technique is a great accomplishment, but it's way too much work for the long haul (unless your rexing). You'll see many session skaters use two foot for way too long, I'd venture to say, most get stuck there.

When you see the great skaters gliding easily backwards (or forwards really) take a look. They are either on one foot or have almost all of their weight on one foot during the glide. They switch their weight foot to foot and usually move in arcs. Toes is another possibility here and as I've said rexer stay on all 8 but their feet are in constant motion. Oh yes, and speed skaters probably have a verry different view of 8 on the floor, but (most) aren't going backwards. (have I missed anybody?) Edit-Darn, I did miss shuffle skaters, thwt's kind of a rex as you cross forwards and back on 8. But, I think I have more exceptions to my rule than the rule itself. In the immortal words of Rossana Rossanadanna "Never mind".

Oh, I do digress. Keep practicing your new moves and skate as many sessions as you can. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Derrick; January 8th, 2016 at 01:05 PM. Reason: m