S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old January 9th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #41
tmezz

Why?
because I want to
because I can
because feeling sixteen, but being 42 is amazing
tmezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:22 AM   #42
inlina
ABEC42

I skate, therefore I am.

CG
inlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #43
raggedjim
I hate my avatar...

Because it puts me on the same level as my 10 year old son, and that's a good thing!

Rg
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #44
RoadsterGrrl

I love the feeling of skating.
RoadsterGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #45
wildangel_js

Cool I'm rediscovering for myself...

this is not gonna be as gracfully put as some o the other s but HERE MY REASON for skating...

it's something I did alot as a kid... every Wed night( ladies night) my single father would take both me and my sister skating back then it was cheap( ladies where free) family fun for us all.

that was from the time I was 3 until I was 16 I always wanted to be on the speed skte team but didn't have the money to buy the skates and pay for sessions and all that stuff.. so I put skating on the back burner when I started dating, and had my first job then I got married at 17.

my husband was not a skater , he knew I liked to skate and i often told him stories of skating as a kid and showed him the skates my grandmother bought me when I turned 15. but they just sat for years...7 years !!!
life happened we had a son ...he 's three now.
one night in dec. of 2006 I decided to take my son to the local rink for an evening of fun.. and I took my skates...
I forgot how much fun it is to zoom around without a care in the world ( ok just a little concern that the inexperianced kid in front of you is gonna fall and in turn you'll fall too...lol..)
my son learnt to use inlines in a matter of 3 weeks, now 6 weeks after his first trip he is a pro! everyone compliments him.
and besides the sheer joy i et from watching my little boy navagate thur the crowd and skate without holding on to the wall I feel pride, and acomplishment HEY THAT'S MY SON,HE'S A NATURAL!
the quick thinking skills required give you a mental workout and phyiscal activity provides a full body workout ...the music is fun and the people keep me fllin' young and finally I 've got the money to buy myself the things I need to pursue my passion...skating ...
(I've really enjoyed reading these answers, great THREAD!)
wildangel_js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #46
skaterdog

Nice post wildangel. That's the beauty of skating. It is a sport you can participate in with your family...even a three year old. Keep it up and the little guy will be the next Joey Mantia.
Old January 29th, 2007, 09:17 AM   #47
KeLLy

Only 3 years old! Wow! that's great!
I allready vision myself skating with my daughter(s) or son(s). And we yet have to start with kids - lol.

First things first tho, teaching my husband to skate. I hope he'll love it as much as i do.
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #48
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

WildAngel, "...gracefully put" is good but warm and personal also has its power. Your story moved my old skaters heart. Thanks. I'm looking forward to starting my grandson on skates this year. He's 3 1/2 and loves anything with wheels. I started my grandaughter at about the same age and like your son, she was a natural and still is at 14 and in high school. Unfortunately, sweating is not cool in a teens mind so she doen't have my passion for distance and speed skating...YET! I'm still hoping it will come. Keep us posted on your skating fun with your son. God bless.

LezSk8!
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #49
Alpha

I skate for fun. I began skating because it was the "in" thing with my group of friends. But after 10 years of skating, I took a year hiatus and now going back into the skating scene with one of my friends. He is new to it so my experiences will help him and my memories of when I used to skate just gives me urge to go out and do it again.
Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #50
brikkee

I was forced to skate as a kid, if i did skate i was sent to my room haha.Now i'm just good at it and teach my kids to skate while i get a work out and its something we can all do together.
brikkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #51
sylv

Why not?
sylv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #52
oldfartskater
Beginner Skater

I skated about 20 years ago with a friend that had to drag me to the rink (he was a very good skater). We went about 4 or 5 times and I just learned to cross my feet over in the turns. That's when the fun started. Then we quit and I don't know why. I was also doing a lot of skateboarding in parks at the time.

Just this last xmas we visited my sister in Erie PA and went skating at the local rink just for fun. I was amazed at how quickly I was able to get back to just gliding along and keep my balance (wasn't able to cross over tho). The most important thing was.....I really had fun!

So when we got back to CA we looked up the closest rink and tried it out.... more fun. Kept going once a week and the fun just escalated. Next thing you know we've got our own skates.

Now.....why do I skate?

Well, I'm easily obsessed for starters, which worries me a little. I don't want this to be a passing thing.

I race motorcycles (main hobby) so anything with wheels that I can ride on .

I used to run a lot. I can't any more cause of the impact on my knees. Skating....no more impact.

I used to be very shy about dancing. Not any more.....even tho I'm self conscious about it bein a beginner and all.

And then there's the people......a small community (relatively) which gives us all a feeling of unity.

I'm testing myself here cause I haven't asked my self this question yet. All I know is I'm driven.

Happy skating,
Bob

P.S. We only get to skate between Fri. and Mon.. Tues. thru Thurs. sucks!
oldfartskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #53
CrazeeDave
Geriatric Quad Class

Default rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfartskater View Post
I skated about 20 years ago with a friend that had to drag me to the rink (he was a very good skater). We went about 4 or 5 times and I just learned to cross my feet over in the turns. That's when the fun started. Then we quit and I don't know why. I was also doing a lot of skateboarding in parks at the time.

Just this last xmas we visited my sister in Erie PA and went skating at the local rink just for fun. I was amazed at how quickly I was able to get back to just gliding along and keep my balance (wasn't able to cross over tho). The most important thing was.....I really had fun!

So when we got back to CA we looked up the closest rink and tried it out.... more fun. Kept going once a week and the fun just escalated. Next thing you know we've got our own skates.

Now.....why do I skate?

Well, I'm easily obsessed for starters, which worries me a little. I don't want this to be a passing thing.

I race motorcycles (main hobby) so anything with wheels that I can ride on .

I used to run a lot. I can't any more cause of the impact on my knees. Skating....no more impact.

I used to be very shy about dancing. Not any more.....even tho I'm self conscious about it bein a beginner and all.

And then there's the people......a small community (relatively) which gives us all a feeling of unity.

I'm testing myself here cause I haven't asked my self this question yet. All I know is I'm driven.

Happy skating,
Bob

P.S. We only get to skate between Fri. and Mon.. Tues. thru Thurs. sucks!
Hi oldfartskater

Sounds familiar....lol.
If it has limits, we are complelled to test them!
CrazeeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #54
shop4skates

many reasons why I skate:

it's fun
I'm good at it
Great place to make friends
Good exercise
I LOVE it
shop4skates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #55
AzulojasATL
Tae Kwon Dad

Default Why do I skate!

1.) Becuse my 8 year old daughter wants me too! (it's like having a toddler again. She needs my help, wants to hold my hand and depends on me to keep her from falling! Sadly, she is a fast learner and I will soon be not needed again.)
2.) Because I am not afraid to die young (43) Jesus took care of that
3.) Because when I couple skate with my wife, or daughter, I am a child in love again for the first time
4.) Because outdoors, I can skate faster than anyone else could ever hope to run, and I don't get shin splints and ruined knees.

5.) Because Because Because Because Becauseeeeeeee Because of the wonderful things it does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #56
evilzzz

I love the feeling of almost complete freedom that I have when I'm on skates. No matter what else is going on in my life, it can all take a back seat when I'm skating.
Ultimately, there's nothing you can do or nowhere you can go on skates that you can't by walking or jogging or cycling, but as some wise philosopher once said... it is not the end we reach but the road we take that makes life worth living.

Skating is perhaps the only form of exercise that I've ever really truely enjoyed. There's no membership fees - you enroll by doing. It's not a constant struggle to maintain a fitness level (like, say, running). It's complete non-elitist (unlike, say, golf or tennis) - anyone can do it, but few actually do do it.

And last, but certainly not least, there is a massive social scene that's hard to make comparisons with. Skating is social as much as it is physical. Every day and every weekend there's skaters, old and new, hanging out in the local parks. Some of us are there to practice, others to train, others there because.. just because we are skaters and that is what we do.
evilzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #57
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

I have limited my skating lately for a whole bunch of reasons. I returned to this thread and reread some of my posts as well as others. Sort of cool! I have watched really good skating young folks finally make the decision to move on. They leave the rink and you never see them again. I have watched older skaters return stating it was the best time of their lives skating and they just wanted to have fun again. There seems to be a lesson in this. Being around the skating life is a bit like being at the ocean watching the waves and tides roll in. Its like connecting the dots of life with wheels.
Phil
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:46 PM   #58
azuren

exercise
off training season for skiing
it looked fun
and having fun right now
azuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 09:12 PM   #59
MadCow333

I started because it was something to do on Sunday night back when I lived in the Bible Belt. Somebody called that state "the buckle of the Bible Belt," much to my amusement. There really wasn't much to do on Sundays after church except housework and family dinner, and since I had no family there, I'd skip the dinner and go skating instead. All of the upscale people joined Nautilus, but I was broke and $3 per skate session fit my budget better. I still skip housework on every day of the week, LOL.

That, and The Mall won't let us bicycle indoors there. And I've always known I am a wheel addict. Bikes, skates, trucks, cars, shopping carts, whatever. If it has wheels, we must see how fast they'll go.
MadCow333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 10:15 PM   #60
ItsNot2L8

I'm not very graceful, coordinated, or athletic, but when I skate, I'm all those things in a way I've never felt doing anything else.