S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old January 14th, 2017, 02:58 PM   #21
AZSHOT

Thanks. I'll try to get it working next time I'm at the rink.

But I'm a former sailor. I look at skating like ships....they take a long time to stop, and don't have brakes like a car.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2017, 09:55 PM   #22
FrizzleFry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Yeap, pretty much. After you learn how to invoke a slide with a good deal of repeatability, you can start to modulate it.

It doesn't matter how fast one can skate, or turn, its all about how fast you can stop.
Yes skating downtown is the most fun I have found on wheels but I want to be able to stop on a dime. I'll try making tighter turns with slalom cones.

When I skate around town I always try to have at least 2 ways out of every situation but I know from years of bikes that things can change quick so I need to arm myself with every advantage. Luckily only one real close call so far since I started in August.
FrizzleFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 02:34 AM   #23
jcardin

Thought I would chime in here. While I am not very experienced in all things inline, especially powerslides etc. I think it may be easier to learn to spin stop before tackling the more abrupt stopping methods.

I don't know if this would work well at high speed / downhill but at a moderate speed I believe it would. By forcing your body into a spin you can take your momentum and slow it down before coming to a complete halt.

As you start to turn your body around you can spread your stance wide for balance and control.

This should be similar to a spin stop on quads, though quads are probably easier with the shorter wheelbase.

Just my thoughts
jcardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 04:08 PM   #24
FrizzleFry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardin View Post
Thought I would chime in here. While I am not very experienced in all things inline, especially powerslides etc. I think it may be easier to learn to spin stop before tackling the more abrupt stopping methods.

I don't know if this would work well at high speed / downhill but at a moderate speed I believe it would. By forcing your body into a spin you can take your momentum and slow it down before coming to a complete halt.

As you start to turn your body around you can spread your stance wide for balance and control.

This should be similar to a spin stop on quads, though quads are probably easier with the shorter wheelbase.

Just my thoughts
I learned to spin to a stop a while ago. I find that its only possible as a pre meditated stop. I'm more interested in full speed stops that take the least amount of time. At full speed a spinning stop can be dangerous especially on city streets and sidewalks.
FrizzleFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 09:09 PM   #25
jcardin

When I skate I just tend to focus more on controlling my speed and as you mentioned, paying attention to any possible escape routes if needed.

I would prefer to simply avoid a collision etc. from swerving out of harms way as that would be my natural first reaction. I just don't see many cases where I would need to come to a full stop in a matter of seconds - it would take about the same time to just change direction in avoidance.

So, I'm thinking that I would personally only use any full stopping techniques as a last resort but obviously it is always best to know them and have practiced them.

That said, yourself being 6ft (or taller for instance), it seems to me that there should be a focus on lowering your body or stance as low as possible as part of your stopping technique.

I have most recently been using some '99 coyote rollerblades with powerslide roadrunner 150mm wheels conversion for my "go anywhere" street skates.

These have one of the longest wheelbases of any skate except maybe for some 5 and 6 wheel downhill types.

I like them because they feel very stable going downhill and the big wheels handle almost anything. They do of course have trade offs as they are not as light and agile and put you up way high.

-I was going to tie this into stopping technique but my reply is already getting too long I feel so I will cut myself off for now...
jcardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 04:08 AM   #26
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardin View Post
So, I'm thinking that I would personally only use any full stopping techniques as a last resort but obviously it is always best to know them and have practiced them.
I skate in traffic (auto) and on crowded fitness paths (meanderthols). You ever do this, you better know how to stop on a dime. I can stop my skates better than I can stop any bike I own. Become proficient at doing a full, 2-footed hockey stop, left or right, before you venture out of the empty parking lot or you will eventually be sorry.

Being able to stop proficiently allows you to skate much faster in crowded situations. And the faster you skate, the better you can maneuver without doing a hockey stop. But when you need it, you REALLY need it.