S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old November 22nd, 2016, 04:31 AM   #101
BigFoot

You guys post some really big distance numbers. Youíre definitely whacked. But for me, Hmmm, Iím not really sure. For the past year I have been doing a sunrise to sunset skate session (obsession session?) about once a week. I do take breaks for water and coffee, but I donít eat. Fun trumps food and Iím way too pumped up to eat. The result is a 10-hour + day of speed runs, hill shredding, dancing and the simple pleasures of ďriding the concrete wave.Ē And as a bonus, I go home with one of lifeís greatest feeling combos: worn out and happy. I love that feeling.

Kinda reminds me of the 1950ís research experiment where a rat can press a lever in its cage that stimulates an electrode planted in the pleasure center of its brain. There is food and water in the cage, but the rat never eats or drinks. Instead, it presses the lever thousands and thousands of times until it collapses from exhaustion. Yeah, skating is kinda like that.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2016, 07:41 PM   #102
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
...I have been doing a sunrise to sunset skate session (obsession session?) about once a week... the rat never eats or drinks. Instead, it presses the lever thousands and thousands of times until it collapses from exhaustion. Yeah, skating is kinda like that.
Last week, due to fabulous weather, I took two extra days off from work so I would have 4 days in a row to skate. I started at 10am when the fitness path is deserted on weekdays and skated until it got dark enough use my blinkie bike lights to skate back to the house.

So I left the house ON SKATES at 10am and got home ON SKATES around 5:15pm. Sure I took some breaks but mostly just tuned into some jams and skating miles and miles just to get the "feel good" drugs manufactured in my brain.

After three days of 6+ hours on skates I just couldn't manage the 4th day. It was really windy and cold so I stayed inside and cleaned the house. I felt fulfilled and buzzed listening to the same tunes I played skating the previous three days. BTW...my play list was exactly 6 hours and I used up EVERY song on it!

I guess you could call this an obsession.
Old November 30th, 2016, 07:27 AM   #103
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

I don't remember replying in May, but I'll post again. STILL OBSESSED!!!

When my son was a baby I skated with him in the jogging stroller for miles and miles almost every day. I never thought he'd really like skating, but now he is 15 years old and he's even more obsessed than me. He's getting really good and loves skating, now he's a skate guard at a local rink! Grandpa skates every weekend too (he's 77).

We may be the happiest people on the planet (thank you endorphins).
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 02:37 AM   #104
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
...We may be the happiest people on the planet...
I feel sorry for people who don't skate. I see them in the local park with personal trainers screaming at them, others running (yuck), walking, doing Tai Chi, etc. None of them look happy. I skate past them jamming to tunes while on my skates and pity them all. I'm flying in heaven and they are earthbound. Poor dopes.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 09:04 AM   #105
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

DIDO that. Skating is my heaven. I experienced this most profoundly last year when I witnessed a suicide while skating.

It was difficult to understand that someone else could be going through hell while I was skating in heaven. What a horrible day (very happy my son was not there). It was really hard to digest. The bridge I skate is about 100meters high, so I guess it's not too out of the ordinary, but still.

I'm thankful that I have skating. SOOOOOO THANKFUL, it's a 100% healthy obsession.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote