S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old August 12th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #1
skatingmom6

Default Outdoor Places to Skate in North New Jersey? (US)

Hi, sorry if this has been posted before. I did a search and could not find any information. Does anyone know of any outdoor places to skate in North Jersey? Thanks.
skatingmom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #2
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default NW or NE Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingmom6 View Post
Hi, sorry if this has been posted before. I did a search and could not find any information. Does anyone know of any outdoor places to skate in North Jersey? Thanks.
Hi, Don't know the answer yet would you be over in the N-West or over in the N-East. And would lower New York be an option.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #3
skatingmom6

Dave,
Thanks for your reply. I am about 25 minutes from NYC and as much as I would love to go back to my Central Park roller skating days, with 6 kids and 5 of them 5 and under, I am trying to get back into the swing of things and trying to do it near my home when some of them will be in school. There is a PAL track near my home but they don't allow skates . I am trying to find info online but I can't seem to find anything. Thanks again!
Old August 13th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #4
Ken Roberts

For off-street the one I hear about most is the Saddle River path in Bergen county (sometimes called the "Duck Pond" skate). There's some links to more info about it on this Bike Hudson Valley page, if you page down to the more southern places (but that page also includes unpaved places unsuitable for skating). I've only been to the Saddle River county park once (one thing I didn't like about it was that I found some bad-visibility curves where the trail goes underneath bridges).

If you can handle skating on wide quiet residential streets, lots of areas in northern New Jersey in the last five years have been putting down smooth blacktop which can offer wonderful skating. But you have to search around to find which streets. And then it takes more exploring to be able to find enough to link together into a longer route. The area I know really well is Union county, and some of adjoining Essex and Middlesex counties.

If you can handle skating on the streets, northeastern NJ has a lot to offer now -- and they keep adding more smooth asphalt.

Ken

Last edited by Ken Roberts; August 13th, 2007 at 01:01 PM. Reason: small adjustment to descrip of Saddle River
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #5
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Hi,

Let me add to what Ken Roberts already posted, via the Bergen County site

http://www.co.bergen.nj.us/Parks/Parks/Maps.htm

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #6
skatingmom6

Dave and Ken thank you so much for your replies, I will check them out.
Old August 27th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #7
TeamMom

If you get down to the Morristown area, the Traction Line trail is good. It runs alongside the NJ Transit line. We usually see only walkers/runners, very few bikes and dog walkers. It's a basically flat out and back, about 5 miles each way. The best place to park is down by the apartments off Washington St. There is a parking lot at Convent Station train station, but you'll have to pay. I recommend staying away from the paths in Loantaka park as they are very busy.

Our team practices indoors Friday nights in Morristown if you are interested. We have a range of ages and skills from adults learning to skate to adults and kids who've been racing for years. www.morristownracing.com
TeamMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #8
dcuper1
Fuhgeddaboutit

I've heard from the Empire Speed guys that they train at

Branch Brook Park
7Th Ave. & Clifton Ave.
Newark, NJ.07104

I don't know if that is close to you and I personally haven't ever been there, but coming from Empire Speed, it should be a good trail.

Check more info here:

http://excelsk8.com/id9.html

Daniel
dcuper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #9
skatingmom6

Thanks Daniel I will look into that. They are about 20 minutes away from me.
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #10
skatingmom6

TeamMom, I sent you a PM.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:54 PM   #11
TeamMom

Oops, haven't been here in a while.
I've finally responded via PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingmom6 View Post
TeamMom, I sent you a PM.
TeamMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #12
excelsk8
MPC Turbo

Hi skating mom, I coach Empire speed team in Central Park and also have indoor and outdoor practices in new jersey, our team practices indoors tuesdays, thursdays and sundays in Hackettstown, exit 26 of of route 80, we also skate in tamaques park in Westfield, NJ. this is outdoors, and as mentioned before by dc couper, we also skate in Branch Brook Park in Newark. There are many nice parks to skate in Northern NJ, maybe if you tell us what you are closer to, I can point you into better places. Hope you are already skating and enjoying it too.
excelsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #13
Code Monkey

I think it's called Brookfield park and it is in Montclair. It is a very big park and a dog park also. Don't let the dog park bother you, they are separated from everything it seems like and everyone I met was very curteous and knew how to control their dogs when they were on the trail. Very different from what I have experienced here in Texas. I was up over Chistmas break visiting family and skated there also everyday. The trails are many and if you take the trail up then you get tree leaves and hidden twigs on the trail, which is quite a challenge. I went probably 1 mph and most of it was on my butt. Then I took a left and headed downhill. OMG!!! It was trilling to say the least. Nothing like going too fast on a trail with slick leaves. But after being surged with adrenaline I decided to stay on the lower trails and streets. One way streets, oh how nice. Then if you take the lowest trail which is closest to the soccer field and track and open park you get a nice dry trail with very few pavement imperfections. When I would come to a part where I could jump off the trail and get on some nice smooth road I did and just hauled as fast as I could before jumping back onto the trail. The cold was difficult for me but it was also fun for a change.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 01:03 PM   #14
steadyeddie
Ed Stednowski

Bump.

I skate almost on a daily basis (when weather cooperates) in New Overpack Park in Leonia. It has a fairly smooth, 8' wide path that loops around. I believe the loop is 1.8 miles. Usually skate 4-6 laps.

Also have skated on the Saddle River path, but do not like the narrow wooden bridges. Anyone skate the Hudson river walk?
steadyeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 08:28 AM   #15
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

YEAH!!! Oh wait, I thought you meant the Walkway Over the Hudson. If so then yes. It is a dream come true. If you're ever upstate it's THE BEST. Over a mile long going over the river, then you can skate another 14 miles east (almost glass-smooth trails, except at the very last mile). You can also skate several miles west from the Walkway, BUT about a mile later you're in the WOODs. The trail's a bit older, but still nice if you like the DEEP woods.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #16
steadyeddie
Ed Stednowski

Hey, thanks for the reply and the info. Actually, I meant lower Hudson from Edgewater down to Jersey City. I've only skated the northern portion from Edgewater to Weehawken, and it was just okay. Smooth concrete, but for each 20' section of concrete, there is a three foot section of paved brick. Either you hop over the brick, or you endure the vibration. Like I said, it was just okay. I am curious how the Hoboken to Jersey City section of this path is. I know there is a nice blacktop bike path in Hoboken, but it's not very long.

I am however very intrigued about the upstate path you mention. Which town does it start in before crossing the river?
Old February 26th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #17
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Oh, yeah, I don't know about the other pathways. Maybe this summer I'll try one or two. Oh look what I found...

http://www.skatecity.com/nyc/where/manhattann.html

http://weskateny.org

I've been meaning to try the Weds night thing.

The Walkway Over the Hudson has parking in Highland and in Poughkeepsie. (Poughkeepsie is the last stop on the Metro North out of Grand Central.) You could walk to the Walkway from the train station and take the elevator up to the top of the bridge. If driving I'd recommend starting in Highland (parking by the bridge), heading over the walkway, then skating out to Hopewell Jct. It's really nice. The only venders are within a 100 ft of the the bridge, so bring snacks and fluid. Bring a camera too.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote