S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old May 19th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #1
RiedellSk8r

Default Bone Swiss Vs Qube ceramics

i know there are alot of other threads about bearings, but i was curious as to the comparison between the bone swiss bearings and the qube ceramic bearings? i know the qube use a grease and the bones use a cream.

i was just curious as to which one would be better for speed skating? or which is faster. i also know the qube are ''above abec'' rating, and the bone swiss are skate rated
RiedellSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #2
Agawam_rollaway_skater
▒★USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiedellSk8r View Post
i know there are alot of other threads about bearings, but i was curious as to the comparison between the bone swiss bearings and the qube ceramic bearings? i know the qube use a grease and the bones use a cream.

i was just curious as to which one would be better for speed skating? or which is faster. i also know the qube are ''above abec'' rating, and the bone swiss are skate rated

I've skated new Swiss Bones, vintage Fafnirs, New Cube 8 Balls, vintage Labeda Super Bearings and bunch of Jap and German off brands. I gotta say that my favorite bearings to date are Cube Swiss Gold. I love their roll. I haven't tried anything ceramic yet and have no intrest to. Several folks who's opinions I really respect have said that they're unjustifiably overpriced. Still, YMMV....
Old May 20th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #3
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

The only thing that gets my curiosity is this for the Qube Swiss Gold:
A special hard anodize process creates an even stronger steel...
Anodize is done on aluminum. I think they worded something wrong here.
This was in the title info over at Connies for the Qube Swiss Gold bearings.
Old May 20th, 2011, 02:26 AM   #4
MR SHELBY
The Other White Meat

Wink I Got A Demo Set Of Qube Golds...

LOVE THEM! Very smooth roll & nice looking too!
MR SHELBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:35 AM   #5
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

my Avatar says it all !
love the Gold Cube !
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:40 AM   #6
dsa0224

bones speed cream
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #7
RiedellSk8r

yeah i have heard the swiss gold are pretty good, how about their ceramic line?

i am thinking about either going with the bone swiss or the qube ceramic line bearings, i have been running the bone swiss for years but just looking for sometihng a little better.

would you guys say the gold swiss are better than the bone swiss?
Old May 20th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #8
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
yeah i have heard the swiss gold are pretty good, how about their ceramic line?

i am thinking about either going with the bone swiss or the qube ceramic line bearings, i have been running the bone swiss for years but just looking for sometihng a little better.

would you guys say the gold swiss are better than the bone swiss?
For 5$ I'll say anything...
No, the gold swiss are not better then the bones swiss ceramics, the gold swiss may be better then the bones swiss, but they are 50% more expensive then the bones swiss.
Bottom line, the bones swiss ceramics are superior at this time to any other available bearing.
Cerbec ceramic balls, replaceable shields and retainers (parts are available), qube golds don't mention material for the balls, just ceramic.
Qube golds don't list replacement parts.
When a set of bearings last five,ten or more years that's a lot of cleaning and replacement parts make all the difference. imho
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #9
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

You did not mention the application of how you skate ?

I have heard the cermacis , cannot withstand great impacts (Jumps)
If you are a jumper, ceramic may not be the best direction.
This is exactly why I did not go the cermaic direction, plus the cost !

swiss ceramics run well over $200 a set.

Cube cermaics about $125

Cube swiss gold run about $80 a set.
Old May 20th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #10
RiedellSk8r

well i was specifically comparing the qube ceramics vs the bone swiss as to what one is better.

i know the ceramic swiss bone are the best of the best

your basic jam skating no jumping or anything like that
Old May 21st, 2011, 06:23 AM   #11
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Only one report back to share on the Cube Ceramics, so nothin definitive. but the one seasoned Skater that tried a set, was less than impressed. She is back on Bones Ceramics--and happy
Old May 21st, 2011, 09:33 PM   #12
RiedellSk8r

well compared to the swiss ceramics i bet she was not satisfied, but what i was more or less comparing is the difference in speed or quality between the cube ceramic and the regular bone swiss.

does anyone know where i can purchase 1 bone swiss bearing? anyone have 1 for sale?//
Old May 22nd, 2011, 02:26 AM   #13
Anabolix

Default Not to derail the thread....but

Every speed skating national medal I have was on china reds.
Anabolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #14
RiedellSk8r

well i'll report back on the qube ceramics for refrence although i have only put 1 session on them for around 2 1/2 hours.

i bought the qube ceramics before i made ths post and in the interum they were being shipped i made this post to see if anyone could compare what i was currently running to the qube swiss. i started having second thoughts about them since there really wasnt any feedback on them from actual useage. i got the bearings last monday but wasnt able to put any time on them until friday.

i got the ceramics that have the ssl oil in them which the doc said those were the older ones and they now come with grease, i was happy they came with oil instead of grease since i have never been much of a fan on the whole greased bearing, so that was a plus, although the doc also said they switched to grease from them making noise after a short time, mine arent making noise yet, only time will tell.

at first i wasnt very pleased with them, as out of the box, they definitly didnt start out as fast as the bone swiss out of the box, they rolled very smoothly at all times which is nice. it wasnt untill about 1 1/2 hours on the rink floor with them that they really started to shine, at first the free spin on the bearings werent too great maybe 15-20 secs? after a few hours i was getting about a minute of free spin with no load ( im not saying these were fast from a free spin as free spins dont really determine a fast bearing as there isnt any load on them however i was comparing the before and after free spin after putting a few hours on them. there was definitly a difference as obviously they were starting to break in.

at about the end of the skating session, the bearings were rolling extremly smooth and extremely fast imo, comparing the bone swiss to the qube ceramic these definitly take the cake, the qube swiss seem to be alot faster than the bone swiss with less effort in stride, which to me equals a faster bearing since it takes less effort in strides to go as fast if not faster. but they were definitly faster than the bone swiss.

like i said this is just a little feedback on them as i havent put a ton of hours on them, basicly just a first impression of the bearing, but a good one non the less. i thought i would be back to the bone swiss and not satisfied with them, however its the complete opp, im not going back to the swiss, if anything from the qube swiss i will either upgrade to the 8 ball qube swiss or the bone swiss ceramics, however at this point im very happy and satisfied with the qube swiss.

for 107.00 shipped i think it was a great buy for new bearings and i recomend them.
Old December 3rd, 2017, 04:57 AM   #15
smprather

I just switched from Bones Swiss 6, to Qube Ceramic. For starters, even though everyone says it doesn't matter, just a free wheel spin with the Qubes stopped a whole lot faster than my Bones - like half the spin time. But I told myself that didn't matter, wait for a skate. As soon as I stepped on the rink floor, I could feel the extra resistance. After 2 hrs, I'm pretty sure it was at least similar. I even had three kind of "unexplainable" falls that normally wouldn't happen. I can't say for sure it was the bearings - but who knows.

I suspected maybe the grease was the problem. So I popped one wheel off, cleaned the bearings and oiled with Bones Speed Cream. Then compared wheel spin to the adjacent wheel that still had grease. Spin time almost doubled on the oiled bearings. So now I'm doing it to all the rest. I'll report back after I skate on Tuesday night.
smprather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 06:30 AM   #16
Sunnyape

Quote:
The issue of the ability of ceramic bearings to bring discernible performance improvements has been waging for a few years in the cycling community. The investigation so far has not provided any concrete evidence other than their cost is wildly disproportionate to the gains that can be detected.
We simply don't spin our bearings at speeds anywhere near the speeds required for the frictional losses to materialize.
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 04:50 PM   #17
fierocious1

Freewheel spin doesn't mean anything unless the bearing is faulty. There is not enough drag from the seals in proportion to a skaters weight to make a difference.
fierocious1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 05:13 PM   #18
wired

Forget bearings! As long as they work and are of reasonable quality you won;t have a discernible difference.

Save your money and get great wheels instead. Once you have those and the rest of your skate sorted and still have $$$ to burn fiddle with bearings.

Old December 3rd, 2017, 09:19 PM   #19
BeechCreekGary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
For 5$ I'll say anything...
, the gold swiss may be better then the bones swiss, but they are 50% more expensive then the bones swiss.

Amazon currently shows $68.98 for a 16 pack of Bones Swiss and $75 for a 16 pack of Qube Gold Swiss. That's about 9 per cent more not 50 per cent. They may be more or less elseware.
BeechCreekGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 12:10 AM   #20
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeechCreekGary View Post
Amazon currently shows $68.98 for a 16 pack of Bones Swiss and $75 for a 16 pack of Qube Gold Swiss. That's about 9 per cent more not 50 per cent. They may be more or less elseware.

Welcome, great first post, I need a time machine to keep up, six years ago, things change
Do you have a link to the time machine you currently use?

Ha, ha, anyone, hopefully, everyone, can feel the difference between grease and bones speed creme, but hearing the difference between bones ceramics and everything else...priceless, not to mention they also offer the best roll.

No offense Gary, just time traveling.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote