S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old April 4th, 2008, 06:44 AM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default Are These Australia Roller Rinks Open or Closed?

I've started building a directory of roller skating rinks in Australia, and while I've found quite a few, I think some of them might have closed. Here's what I've got so far:

Roller Skating Rinks in Australia
http://www.quadskating.com/rinks/au/

I think I read in another thread that the Campbellfield Roller Sports Centre in Victoria has closed. Is that true? Have any other of these rinks closed?

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Bright Eyes

I believe it was me who wrote Campbellfield is closed.
One of the managers there and another girl now work at my rink after it closed down. There are a few rumours circling that it may reopen... something to do with the Sunshine rink? I'm not 100%

Some of these rinks I've never heard of... do we really have this many rinks sitll open? Wow.

VICTORIA SECTION: I'm assuming Rollerway Newtown Skate Centre, 6 Lambert Avenue and Geelong Region In Line Hockey Development Council are the same.
Bright Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #3
inlina
ABEC42

I cannot confirm any closures in the Victorian list. I really should know which Vic rinks are open and closed, but since I stopped playing hockey and going to Eltham regularly, my ear is no longer to the ground on rink rumblings.

'Puckhandlers' is missing from the Victorian list as far as I can tell.

I heard Skate Plus in NSW had closed, but I cannot be sure...Alex Bont should know what is actually open and closed in NSW/Sydney.

CG
Old April 7th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #4
Hot Lips

Default Sydney rinks

Alive Sports at Narellan is still open (multisport venue that has skating once or twice a week).

Long Jetty Roller Rink is still open, and correct, there's no website.

Penrith Skatel is now open at 120 Russell St, Penrith. Their former site, at 32 Peachtree Rd, has closed. This is the only dedicated rink left in the Greater Sydney area.

Skate2000 at Castle Hill and Skate Plus at Caringbah have both closed

Thornleigh Indoor Stadium / Brickpit Stadium is a basketball centre which is happy to host skaters (we at Sydney Roller Derby trained there last year for a few months) but it's not a rink and has no skates available.
Hot Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #5
merlin
Caribbean Speed Team

The Victoria list:

Campbellfield Roller Sports Centre - out of business, may re-open?
Caribbean Rollerama - correct.
Dandy Skate Centre - correct.
Fusion Skates (no Web site?) - not sure on this one.
Geelong Region In Line Hockey Development Council - this isn't a rink, it's the guy's house. Delete.
Laverton Skating Centre - correct.
Lilydale Roller Skating Centre (no Web site?) - correct.
OzSkate of Mildura - not sure on this one.
Peninsula Skateworld - correct.
Rhinos Inline Hockey Club (no Web site?) - no idea on this one, suspect it may be a personal residence.
Roller City Bayswater - correct.
Rollerway Newtown Skate Centre - correct.
Rosebud Skate Centre - correct.
SkateIt of Dandenong - delete, CONFIRMED is/was another trading name of Dandy Skate Centre, at their old address.
SkaterZ Roller Rink - correct.
Springer's Leisure Centre - delete, not a skating venue (was occasionally hired 10+ years ago only for racing and art events; no longer used).
Sunshine Roller Skating Centre - correct.

Add:

The Zone
Strickland Rd
Bendigo
www.thezone.net.au

Skateworld Mordialloc
209 Boundary Rd
Braeside
(03) 9580 8908
www.skateworldmordialloc.com.au

Stadium 34
34 Bell St
Moe
(03) 5127 83000
www.stadium34.com.au
Old April 7th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #6
merlin
Caribbean Speed Team

Hey, hot lips. Any word on Taren Point?

I heard it closed - their website has expired ( http://www.tarenpointskating.com/ ), so it seems likely ??
Old April 8th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #7
inlina
ABEC42

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
The Victoria list:

Dandy Skate Centre - correct.

SkateIt of Dandenong - delete, CONFIRMED is/was another trading name of Dandy Skate Centre, at their old address.

Springer's Leisure Centre - delete, not a skating venue (was occasionally hired 10+ years ago only for racing and art events; no longer used).
Did Dandy move? I really must visit John...I still have a pair of his skates!

Isn't Springers still being used as a hockey venue? Is RSV's office still there?

CG
Old April 8th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #8
merlin
Caribbean Speed Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlina View Post
Did Dandy move? I really must visit John...I still have a pair of his skates!

Isn't Springers still being used as a hockey venue? Is RSV's office still there?

CG
Dandy moved from Plunkett Road to Princess Highway (Next door to AMF, about 2k towards Pakenham on the RHS from Plunkett Rd) about, oh, 2 years or so ago.

RSV = Skate Victoria these days, and no they're no longer based at springers.

I'm no expert on hockey, but I understand that springers ceased to be a regular venue a long, long time ago. Between the new Morialloc and Frankston rinks and Puckhandlers, springers was simply no longer required, plus it was extremely expensive to hire ($80/hr 12 years ago). If they're still using springers, I'd be very surprised indeed.
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:52 AM   #9
Hot Lips

Hey Merlin,

Yup, Taren Point is gone, too.

We train on basketball courts since the sole Sydney rink is so very, very far away (more than an hour's drive or train from the city centre) - it's actually in the Blue Mountains.

There's a rink at Taree (mid-North Coast), the Taree Skate Centre, 21 Grey Gum Rd, Taree, NSW 2430. Phone: 02 6551-7701. No website.
Hot Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #10
Bright Eyes

Puckhandlers is still open - but they no longer host general public, only roller hockey.
Bright Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #11
Renegadeine

I'm by no means an expert on skating rinks in South Australia, or anywhere else for that matter, but I will try to help.
Just to confuse everyone, there is a Blackwood Recreation Centre (1 Northcote Rd, Eden Hills, SA 5050) and a Blackwood Community Recreation Centre (72 Coromandel Pde, Blackwood, SA 5051). The one in Eden Hills has skate sessions and Inline Hockey is played there. I don't know anything about the one in Blackwood except that it is listed as the address for SA In-Line Hockey Association, Blackwood. There are several branches of the SA In-Line Hockey Association all over Adelaide.

Here's a directory of rinks in Adelaide (metro area), South Australia:
http://www.aussieweb.com.au/director...1500&lid=60001 The only one of these that is an ice rink is the Snowdome.
I personally have been to both Blackwood Recreation Centre and St Clair Recreation Centre (I think it's called Skate Scene, having a mental blank) recently.
Gawler Sport and Community Centre still has skating, though I haven't been there. Gawler is not listed in the above directory because it is outside the Adelaide Metro area.
The Parks Community Centre has learn to skate classes, session skates, speed skating, inline hockey and Roller Derby training.

Oh and P.S: Pde stands for Parade.
Rebelicious! #99
Team Zebra - Adelaide Roller Derby
http://www.hotquadsrollerskates.com
Renegadeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #12
lilli

Smile Adelaide

Hope this helps...

Although Adelaide is rinkless at the moment social skating has always been popular because it's always been offered at council recreation centres, mainly during school holidays. Perhaps ring your local council. As mentioned above, the Blackwood rec centre and St Clair have regular social sessions. St Clair on Saturday from 1.30 till 4 and Blackwood on Sunday from 3.30 till 5.

The Parks has a learn to skate class, no social sessions at present but it goes without saying that everybody should come and join in the Skate Fx speed training on Saturday from 12-1. http://www.portenf.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=155

Ingle Farm Rec Centre has a Friday night session. It also has sessions every week day during school holidays. http://cweb.salisbury.sa.gov.au/mani...et/page?pg=811

Campbelltown rec centre has sessions on Thursday during this school holidays, 10-12 and 1-3 for $5. It's well organised, with disco lights, an area for beginners, and games. They're also having sessions on the 3rd Saturday of each month during school term. Botanic Grove, Campbelltown 83376055.

LeFevre Community Centre has sessions this school holidays, starting next week. 541 Victoria Road, Osborne Tel. 8248 1828 http://www.portenf.sa.gov.au/webdata...iday_Guide.pdf

St Vincent's Rec centre at Noarlunga had a sessions a few months ago but I heard a rumour about it turning into an ice rink?http://noarlunga.leisurecentre.com.au/

The St Ives centre at Port Adelaide, and the Hub at Aberfoyle Park also had skating quite a few years ago. And there was a hocky rink at Lonsdale. Anybody know if thats still happening?

Last edited by lilli; April 17th, 2008 at 12:09 PM.
lilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #13
lilli

Default Whyalla... and Mildura

The Mildura rink is Sun City Rollerama.http://www.sbsware.com.au/gokartcent..._happening.htm

Forget Mt Gambier, Whyalla is the largest and best rural city in South Australia, they have a strong artistic club. http://www.whyalla.yourguide.com.au/...asp?clubid=967
Skate South - South Whyalla Football Club
Gymnasium Beach Road
Whyalla, SA
Phone : 86440037
lilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #14
Tikihaha

Default RIP to yet another roller rink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lips View Post
Alive Sports at Narellan is still open (multisport venue that has skating once or twice a week).

Long Jetty Roller Rink is still open, and correct, there's no website.
Just though that you may want to know of the death of yet another Australian Roller Rink - Long Jetty has now closed - confirmed by a friend who said it is now a childcare centre ... RIP.
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #15
beckstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
Dandy moved from Plunkett Road to Princess Highway (Next door to AMF, about 2k towards Pakenham on the RHS from Plunkett Rd) about, oh, 2 years or so ago.

RSV = Skate Victoria these days, and no they're no longer based at springers.

I'm no expert on hockey, but I understand that springers ceased to be a regular venue a long, long time ago. Between the new Morialloc and Frankston rinks and Puckhandlers, springers was simply no longer required, plus it was extremely expensive to hire ($80/hr 12 years ago). If they're still using springers, I'd be very surprised indeed.
I remember going to Springers years ago for a comp. It was a nice rink. It is a shame that it is no longer used. I also went to a rink in Moe once. Is that still open?
beckstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:24 AM   #16
Curious Cat
Hockey Nut

Western Australia

Joe Cooper Recreation Centre - The Southern Districts Inline Hockey Club, now operate out of the Claremont Showgrounds www.csihc.com.au

You wont find public skating at the speed dome, Joe Cooper Rec Centre, or Kingsway sport stadium.

BladeSkate is just a retailer, that doesnt stock skates anymore, just skate boards.

I dont know what Skataman Promotion is/was
Curious Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:41 AM   #17
merlin
Caribbean Speed Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckstar View Post
I remember going to Springers years ago for a comp. It was a nice rink. It is a shame that it is no longer used. I also went to a rink in Moe once. Is that still open?

Moe is still going - It's called stadium 21 now - see posts above for details.

Sringers is no longer used, to my knowledge - too expensive. The indoor netball pavilion at dandenong showgrounds is now the main venue used.
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #18
wayne o
enthusiastic about apathy

Default Tasmania

2 roller rinks in Tassie
1 north, Mowbray Indoor Sport 'N' Skate (Launceston)
1 south, Woody's Skate and Play (Hobart)
wayne o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #19
scubask8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Cat View Post
Western Australia

Joe Cooper Recreation Centre - The Southern Districts Inline Hockey Club, now operate out of the Claremont Showgrounds www.csihc.com.au

You wont find public skating at the speed dome, Joe Cooper Rec Centre, or Kingsway sport stadium.

BladeSkate is just a retailer, that doesnt stock skates anymore, just skate boards.

I dont know what Skataman Promotion is/was
Morley Rollerdrome -My "home" rink.

Rolloways Oconnor -is OK but lots of little kids parties.

Skate International Joondalup- last time I was there it was run by teens and it was full of inline hockey 'thugs' not impressed
scubask8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #20
Curious Cat
Hockey Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubask8tr View Post
Morley Rollerdrome -My "home" rink.

Rolloways Oconnor -is OK but lots of little kids parties.

Skate International Joondalup- last time I was there it was run by teens and it was full of inline hockey 'thugs' not impressed
Everyone loves their home rink. Its hard not to love morley, the atmosphere and people are all very friendly.

Had the same impression about Joondalup, though, its nice to spend some time on a wooden floor for a change.

Havent been to oconnor. what is the floor like?
Curious Cat is offline   Reply With Quote