S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old November 22nd, 2016, 02:18 PM   #1081
Kassus

Default Friday Night

Friday night at my home rink was interesting. Third night on the new gear; second at my home rink. Finally tried going backwards on the new cushions. Not quite ready yet. Did about half a song but 1)the floor was really grippy and my back wheels were constantly barking (I have really grippy wheels; they are a 92A) and 2)Still getting used to the cushions and was still all over the place.

However, going forward was a little less awkward; I've improved on my S's tremendously; to the point of not having to take my feet up off the floor, that is how much maneuverability the cushions have given me. They are very soft and it shows in my skating. However, a couple of times I did get a little too close to my shuffle skating friend and we locked wheels, but he's an excellent skater and disengaged us before anything happened.

Tonight is Adult Night so there won't be any kids to maneuver around. There's one guy that goes that always does spins (without looking and without regard to the other skaters) in the fast shuffle lane that gets on my last nerve but other than him it should be a great night for me to test out my gear at speed to see how it performs.
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #1082
Gee

Default Wednesday night at Palace

I skated the Thanksgiving Eve adult session from 9 PM to midnight. The place was packed with really great shuffle skaters. There was both fast backward skating and a slow backward skating, in both directions. The fast backward skaters rolled around faster than most skating forward. I was probably one of two people wearing artistic skates. The other person is a lady whose father owned a skating rink. Old school club music was played throughout the night. It was a great evening.
Old November 25th, 2016, 01:28 PM   #1083
Derrick

Default Two in one at Roller Dome

So wed an Thursaday skate. Zeke (youngest) came with. Wore his new Ridell 1000's. He got a blister and quit early but really
iked the new skates. He does reall high jump turns. I'm a bit scarred of the plastic hubs. He needs a wheel upgrade.

There was an adult night guy who started speed on sun mornings. He must be about 45. His form reaaaaaly advance, I told him so and he ariciated. Thinking of joining, it' s before a session I usually go to anyway.

Thenksgiving night, I was one of 3 for a while. Finally a family of 5 more showed. I got out the cones to embarass myself. The Dj taught me some in place jam moves. I'm not great but I got better.

Did lots and lots of waltz-jumps, more mapes attempts. Spins were pretty good. Still learning how to enter better.
Old November 26th, 2016, 08:25 AM   #1084
Gee

Default Friday at Kendall Park

For Friday night, I decided to skate at my practice rink, Kendall Park. I also decided to get reacquainted with my speed skates. I had not used them for over 20 years.

First, I worn the skates with my hard plastic orthotics. I skated around and I was unable to feel the pivot pins. The skates felt like blocks of wood. So, I removed the orthotics and that allowed me to feel the skates. I was skating a bit better but I had the sensation that my front wheels were an inch higher than my rear wheels. I had to shift my weight a forward to counter the sensation but the front wheels still felt higher than the read wheels. So I went back to using the orthotics. This time, I was able to feel the skates and the front wheels did not feel as high as before.

I also had to adjust the pressure on the cushion several times. It turns out that I really do not like the cushions to be loose because it slows down my reaction time. Once I had the cushions set to my sweet spot, I was able to transition from edge to edge very quickly.

I think I will go back to Kendall Park tomorrow and practice with the speed skates again.
Old November 27th, 2016, 08:06 AM   #1085
Gee

Default Saturday at Jackson

Fir Saturday night, I decided to go to Jackson. I took my speed skates to try them on again. This time, my feet was able to feel the skates immediately. It took me about 5 minutes to adjust my body position and choppy crossovers to smooth crossovers. I do not seem to be able to hold a deep edge on my right foot as well as my left foot. I think I may need to adjust the cushions again.
Old November 27th, 2016, 11:23 PM   #1086
Derrick

Default Truly eclectic skating wt the Roller Dome

So I did 2.5 hours of the three dedicated to speed. I didn't know the start time, so I missed warm ups. I'm a total beginner. Learned about running on toe stops and some stride stuff. I have a hugely long way to go.

Then I stayed for regular session, 5 hours in all. The speed caoches were worried about my endurance , just to look at me, but that is the least of my issues.

Been just starting some jam with the jam skaters too. Again I'm a very begginer at that. Other thwn w stwnding spin, I don't know the moves. But I can do the first steps now.

Did a lot of waltz jumps. Starting to over rotate instead of being timid. I didn't do a mapes attempt. So I'm wondering about landing forward. Like a 2/3 axel. I know on ice that's a bad idea because of the shape of the blade. In roller it may be just a bad habit, I'm not sure. I guess a one and a half mapes is a thing; it lands forward. I'll ask the art forum. I know I should focus on the mapes as my next jump. Landing forward on one foot (like a half mapes) is kind of an awkward landing anyway. I always end up on a deep edge; and go kereening toward the wall. I like deep edges but this is ridiculously deep for a landing.

Spins are still getting better (I always say that). Actually, my best spin was a lefty ccw IB.

So spins are like: Entry IB edge CW spin is better. Setting the performing foot CCW is better, Over all spin on IB CW is (usually) better.

I keep thinking I'll give up one or the other. Then I try one opposite, just to see, and it performs better and I go,"well crap perhaps I should focus on that one.". Since I don't compete I guess it really doesn't matter.

Sometimes, I actually spin CW with a left pinky toe press. How I end up there I'll never know.

But it is a bit of a banner day as my regular entry beat my cheaty entry for IB performance. I only did one cheaty entry and gave it up right away. I also didn't loose my spin in late session. Even after 5 hours of skating. I was still jumping too. I only left because my wife got off work and she has had to work a lot of ovetime lately. So I thought I'd better reconnect.

Well I'd better practice running on my toe stops in the kitchen.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 03:44 AM   #1087
Derrick

Default After School Skate at Eastlake

Trace Hanson got his double mapes back, and it was beautiful. I'm really no judge, but it looked perfect. Stuck the landing and presented like a pro.

When he skates there is nothing I do that is worth commenting on.

Really enjoyed watching though.
Old December 4th, 2016, 04:45 PM   #1088
Gee

Default Saturday at Kendall Park

I think Kendall Park will be my rink for Saturday night. They have an evening session from 7:30 to 10:00, then they clear the floor and resume with the adult after hour session from 10:00 to midnight. Soul music is played throughout the night. The younger skaters are off the floor by 8:30. There are plenty of people skating around the rink in a train or practicing spins, turns and jumps in the center of the rink. I got to practice my backward skating and am getting the feel of holding an edge with the free foot raised high in the air.
Old December 5th, 2016, 03:33 PM   #1089
Derrick

Default Sunday at Eastlake

Holiday season skates are the best. Lots of kids and good music. Trying to cut down on mohawks and chactaws and use more three turns for transistions. Even if I do toe drag the turn.

Setting my spin better. No more cheaty entries. But when I set better, I go back a bit on the spin itself. Oh well.

Stwrted on 360 jumps in the reverse direction. Also trying to do cross rolls three turn front cross rolls. Not really sure if the fron ones are actually called cross rolls.

Always a great time at eastlake.
Old December 7th, 2016, 06:02 AM   #1090
Gee

Default Tuesday at Holiday

The weather was poor so the organist was not at the rink and many of the regulars were not there either. I took advantage of the opportunity to practice skating my backward edges. I wants to see how well I could hold my edge while skating backwards. I made some improvement over the night and was eventually able to skate around the rink on one foot backwards.
Old December 8th, 2016, 10:14 PM   #1091
GraySk8ter
76-not dead yet!

Default Wednesday Adult night

It was a good session. No one knocked my skates out from under me. Thank goodness. The session always seems to start slow, but it was rather cold for San Antonio and some stayed at home rather than brave the elements. It did pick up later and there was a respectable number of skaters, but still not the usual number.

One song(don't know what the title is) had the perfect beat for me to do the fast two step skating sideways. After doing that for about three minutes and making a complete circuit of the large inner circle, I had to quit when some other skaters got too close to me. But just at the moment I stopped, a young lady tapped me on the shoulder as she skated by and says "you rock". So, I guess the old guy can still do something right.

At the end of the session I was removing my skates and a couple of young ladies both gave me an "awesome". I must have been on my game tonight. I thanked them and directed their attention to my 81 year old friend still skating strong on the floor. He truly is amazing. I hope I can be like him when I grow up.

Think I'll just - keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2016, 11:40 AM   #1092
Derrick

Default Light day ar Eastlake

Just me a regular gal and her friend. Later a young couple with a little boy showed up. I love light sessions but too light is a bit uninspiring. Neverthless my IB in advance meor this session than any other. I finally figured out how to set the performer correctly. No more cheaty spin for me.

They are teaching me some in place shuffle at the Dome and I practiced that a bit. I'm not great but getting better. Practiced some speed for classes this january. Practiced my base jumping technique. I like being eclectic.

Oh yea, the automated dj played Megahn Trainers "No No No" three times in the last 5 songs. One for each No. Actually it's a good dance song, but I wouldn't listen to it otherwise. In fact the couple were saying "go go go" as I skated it.

Oh yea once the whole family had fallen. Not together but were all on the floor at the same time. Couldn't help but snicker, I told there was a game for that (Wipe Out).
Old December 11th, 2016, 08:41 PM   #1093
Derrick

Default Sunday at Eastlake

Oh geeze what a day. Lots of Birthday parties to navigate.

But my IB continues to improve (I know I've said that fo four years and it requires video proof, but it is improving). I don't even think of entering a one foot spin the cheaty way anymore. Although I did double set a couple of times. Still doing little attempts at camels. Started with a bit of a back ache, so I only did a bit of jumping.

Lot's of little improvements to my skating regular dance skating. Also, starting some begginer in place jam, and begginer speed, but still mostly just love to dance, dance, dance.

So, I got a lot of comments from the party goers like, staring and going, "OK how?" Then at wipe-out time I get out my breakdancing -101 (yes the negative is on purpose, I just side surf low and put my hands out and spin on my hands, yes my feet are still on the floor). I really just do it because some wipe-outs bung up my skate leather, but that one never touches. But a little one goes, "ok now your just showing off. ". And I'm like, "Me? show off, never". But if I we're you I'd wanna be me too (That may be going a bit too far). I did find out the penalty for showing off though - nothing, just go ahead.

I ended the day with "Love me like you do". And nailed the final two foot spin, the snack bar goers cheered....

You know, if I sakted in real life as well as I do in my head they'd be forced to take roller skating as an Olympic sport. Anyway, It was a very good day.

Me show off, ha, I don't know the meaning of the word.
Old December 18th, 2016, 05:25 AM   #1094
Derrick

Default .nice Four hours at Roller Dome North

My friend and dj thwt plays high school hockey broke his leg. Sounded pretty bad. Ripped the bone downward. He got pins and screws and is out of hockey at leat til february. He is always hurt, remind me not to play hockey.

Pretty crowded but I didn't mind. Traded jumping secrects with a guy there. Showed him how it was easier to jump backwards. He got some hieght but had a bad habit of keeping his legs too far apart.

Spims were the new pretty ok. That is they are getting better but were not particularly better than last time.

Still trying, with a little sucess not to drag a toe on three turns. I now have three that I never drag a toe on. And two more that I draf a toe if I'm going regular speed. Oh well, always learning, always getting a little better.

Too busy to do too many jumps and spins anyway. I improved my height, a bit on my half mapes. I really should be ready for a full, but to busy to try it today. Well at the fourth hour it was slower. But so was I.

No chance for speed practice except for toe-stop starts ( skating is ironic, perhaps they should be toe-starts as I never use them for stopping). Which was a lot easier with my smaller diameter wheels and moon walker toe-stops. Sounds like I'll need some skate adjustments before speed class starts back up.

I played 3 hours of 3/4 court basket ball after skating. Shewew. Actually I have better wind than a few of the kids in there 20's. Although they are all much better at basketball.

Prolly no sunday skating tomorrow😫. I really feel like jumping some more though.
Old December 25th, 2016, 01:49 PM   #1095
Derrick

Default Extra Christmas sessions at Roller Dome North

So...... Friday I took my daughter. She said, "My goal today is to learn how to spin.". Oh yea, game on. So,I taght the standing two foot heel toe. It's a good beggining spin till you get your balance. She did ok. I'd spin my worst direction so she didn't feel bwd about being wobbly.

We did a double arebeque her fron me back. A skating freind said I looked like a fairy. Which prolly means I did it right. So I asked if I did it more like a robot if it looked more masquilin. I showed him my robot style. He said yes.

Now fairy style is ok for me, but not to embarrass, I switch my arebesque style to "new superman" (not two hands in front like the old style (what was he protecting himself from?)) One fist foward the other by your side. Like your going to blast through a wall. Works great with the gauntlets (wrists guards).

That's the second time my gender identity was questioned in as many days. The first question came from a good friend at work. He said I was gay because I liked Sia more than Adelle???? Actually Sia is a bit dark, but I like some dark songs. So I said, "that's not gay, this is", and played "Fat Bottom Girls". I said it was gay in a good way. Cause queen is awesome. He recinded and said he did not mean gay as in homosexual. So it is determined, I may be a bit urban (I mean as urban as bfe gets) and gay, but not homosexual. I'm fine with that. Fly over country seems to think anything artsy is gay. So Whatever.

I digress (a lot). So it was busy and I just couldn't find space for jumps, or even spins with good entry. But it was awesome fun and I was to return on Christmas eve anyway.
Old December 25th, 2016, 04:19 PM   #1096
Derrick

Default Christmas eve at the Dome

Way less people. My son pooed out on me. I had played late night basketball with him after a 3.5 hour session. And he was tired? I was tired, and sore as well. So as I sometimes do, I vowed to take it easy. But there were just the right number of people. Enough to inspire but not so many as to deter from spinning and little jumps.

So I did not take it easy and was soon all loosened up. The last hour was all Christmas music. My son said,"I'm sorry", but I wasn't sorry. I avoid Christmas music for most of the season, but it's awesome to skate to. I mean everyone else hates it, but I love, love, love it. Beautiful long glides, spread eagles back edges and all swoopy and lot's of spins. 'Oh Night Devine" really is devine to skate. I told my skating buddy, "See it doesn't have to be club, disco, or rap to be skated to." I don't think he was convinced.
Old December 31st, 2016, 01:20 AM   #1097
Derrick

Default Rollerdome was soooooooooo busy

Four hours of reqlly, reqlly busy. No jumps, not even close to finding a place for that. I's still fun. I had multiple pains going in q hopped to gently roll qnd stretch the pains away. It was even more gental than I hopped. It was so busy I helped put away skates so the employees could get out of there faster.

I work New Years ece party 11-5 at the dome. No, I don't really work there anymore. I just volenteered casue all the kids had things to do that night.
Old December 31st, 2016, 05:37 AM   #1098
Gee

Default Friday at Kendall Park

I managed to get my Labeda Turbo Sprinters wheels repaired and I tried them out at Kendall Park. At first, I was having difficulty skating. My feet felt weighted down and unable to move. It was a struggle to do anything other than a weak push with both feet planted on the floor.

After a while, I felt what was needed to get on top of the skate. With my artistic boots, I need to put my weight on my heel. With the speed boots, I needed to put my weight a bit forward toward the ball of my foot. This is a bad position for artistic because you out too much pressure on the front wheel and lose your roll but it was necessary for speed to prevent falling behind the back wheel. I was able to move better but edge changes and turns felt horrible.

I looked at my skate and pressed the truck with my hand. The action seems OK in the front and back trucks. Even with my feet in the boot, the tilt of the trucks seemed OK. Eventually, I decided to loosen the action on the rear truck by 1/16 of a rotation and test the skates. Bingo! That was it. Now the skates feel really comfortable and I feel as I am flying around the rink. It is a sensation I last felt over 20 years ago.

After more skating, I got another sensation I felt over 20 years ago. I felt a bit of pain on my right toe. It happens with my soft speed boot but not my very stiff artistic boot. Pronation caused my toe to rub against the soft leather of the boot. My left foot also cramped for a split second. I will probably need to get a new set of orthotic insoles.

It felt great to be able to skate around as effortlessly on my speed skates as my artistic skates.
Old January 1st, 2017, 04:48 PM   #1099
Derrick

Default Second verse same as the first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Four hours of reqlly, reqlly busy. No jumps, not even close to finding a place for that. I's still fun. I had multiple pains going in q hopped to gently roll qnd stretch the pains away. It was even more gental than I hopped. It was so busy I helped put away skates so the employees could get out of there faster.

I work New Years ece party 11-5 at the dome. No, I don't really work there anymore. I just volenteered casue all the kids had things to do that night.

Just move one day forward. The I worked the snack bwr for the 11pm -5am session. Ot was fun, busy, got w little done with it by 5am though. Prolems though, pot smaoker in the boys room, and they don't even play that song anymore. Also, a girl fight comlete with pulling hair and a call to the police. Sheeeesh is all that necessary for the new year.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 04:05 AM   #1100
Kassus

Have been really lax in not posting lately.. end of semester at the university and things get crazy (grade reporting, wrapping up travel, etc.). Anyway, I finally, FINALLY, FINALLY sucked it up and gathered the nerve to do wrong-way crossovers. Feels like my left leg weighs about 1000 lbs. and it's seems much more stiff than my other leg, but I have been doing it off-and-on for a couple weeks now. Tonight I managed to do it to the beat of the songs.
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote