S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old March 14th, 2016, 08:21 PM   #941
Derrick

Default Sunday at Rollerdome

Must be breif. 4 hour session. Lots of kids. Lots of fun. Spins comming along nicely. Helped with games. I really like the longer sessions.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 03:54 AM   #942
GraySk8ter
76-not dead yet!

Default Spring break afternoon skate

The trick here is to arrive late. When the rink opens during spring break, the local day-care centers like to bring the tiny tikes skating. They fall all over the place like flies. A skater cannot roll more than 5 foot before encountering a little one prone on the floor. The session started at 1 p.m. and I arrived about 3 p.m. The day-care people were rounding up the little charges and herding them into a small bus to return to the day-care before Mom or Dad come to pick up.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy skating with little kids. I just don't like having to step over so many of them laying on the floor. Most of the day-care kidos have never had a pair of skates on before. It is mass pandemonium.

After most of the really short skaters left, the floor was busy but not too busy. Open floor would present it's self from time to time. So I managed to get in a real workout.

One young man about 12 was enjoying himself and he must have watched me for awhile. Because he came up to me and wanted to know how old I am. I told him 72 and he was incredulous. He says, "that's my Grandma sitting at the side and she is 71".

After the session was over, I volunteered to scrape gum off the skating floor(I am a friend of the owners). While I was busy scraping, I heard his Grandma ask me how old I was. Now this lady must have had a very hard life, because she appeared to be almost old enough to be my Grandmother! I told her I am 72 and will be 73 quite soon. She was incredulous too. She says, "I figured you were in your 50s because of the way you move on skates". I told her I could do it because I continued to skate and it is beneficial to my health. She said, "I'd be afraid of breaking something". I told her that is why I wear protection(wrist guards & knee sleeves with pads).

Moral to the story: Thank you God for allowing me to have the strength to continue to enjoy this sport. It's good for my health, gives me social interaction, allows me to feel younger skating with the kids, and it is a whole lot of fun. Only down side is the bad smell after sweating so hard and a shower fixes that in short order!

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2016, 04:32 AM   #943
Derrick

Default Eastlake thursday

Great session, lightly attended though.

I improved my waltz found something in my app that I was missing. Bring the knee up to get height, I was going too far out. The landing seemed better ( video often proves me wrong, so we'll see).

After more study of my videos I found I was entering the IB really poorly (for like the last year or two. Oh yes, I will learn it though). So instead of practicing the wrong way over and over (like I usually do) I got some art advice from the owner. I think he helped but it was after the session so we'll have to see.

My right foot two foot entry to an IB spin is really comming along. It's not my preffered entry but it is going so well I'm just going with it. It is a bit hard to demonstrate on the tennis court though. But I think I can do better than my last video (of course, I always think I can do better, that's just me).

I spent a lot of time trying to pick up missed three turns. I did pretty good, well for me. I can go round starting IF then an OB the another IF. I kinda loose it at that point but I get a turn and a half. No pendulum foot either. My back three turns are still pretty poor, but improving. The only way I can get an IB is off an OF. Kinda cheating, but its a start. The couple of 7 year olds there were impressed though.

Oh well, learning lots and having fun. Still working on posture and always will struggle. Oh yea, learning some two foot traveling spins to help posture and rotation. I get 540 degrees cw or ccw but move my feet too much instead of edging.
Old March 19th, 2016, 02:35 AM   #944
GraySk8ter
76-not dead yet!

Default Another Spring Break afternoon session

I followed my own good advice and did not arrive until about 3 p.m. The rink was not too busy. The attendance was not bad, but not so busy that the floor was over crowded. Translation: Open floor occurred often enough to get a good workout.

I wasn't planning to skate this afternoon. But when I went to the family night skate Thursday evening, it was super crowded. Parking lot was full. Had to wait in a line for admission. Skated a very crowded floor for about an hour and then gave it up. It was just too dangerous(so many people and kids falling all over the place). I couldn't even get a drink in the snack bar because the line at the counter was super long. So I just took my thirst home and decided to skate the Spring break session the next afternoon.

So glad I made that choice! Skating today was much more enjoyable and a great workout too. I skated the better part of two hours. During that time I generally skate slowly at the edge of the center section line. I was doing that only backward and keeping time to the music, when I noticed I was being followed by a little girl(still learning to skate) of about 5 to 6 years. She was trying to keep up with me and was getting a bit too close. So I went faster and then she did too. So I cranked up the speed and she tried to keep up, but I was able to put a safe distance between us.

After the session concluded, I was removing my skates and a little boy of about 3 years came over and said, "I like your skating". I thanked him and asked if he had been skating, because I had not seen him previously. He said that he didn't know how to skate. His compliment means more than that of others that are older. Kids are great!

Keep rollin
Old March 21st, 2016, 11:56 AM   #945
Derrick

Default Excellent day at Roller Dome North

Things are really comming together. My two foot entry one foot spin is still getting bett r and better. I tend to loose the one foot part as the session g ts longer. I went 3 1/2 hours.

I advanced my missing threee turns a bit. I'm focusing on IF's right now. It seems to help to do it on the inner circle. I mean the line itself. It still neeeds work though. I tend to drop the bwlance foot. When I keep the foot up the IF is better thwn the OF which I've been doing for a long time.

But my biggest advance was on my waltz-jump. Got more compliments on than ever. There is a guy there that teaches in the center on Sunday's and has been for years. He's nicely poised but dosen't have a lot of elements, but hes good at what he teaches. When I did a nice waltz he said,"Now there's someone with talent". Of course it takes me forvever to learn stuff, it's not talent, just fun.

So I was doing a waltz every round i several songs. There is an area at the back side of the rink that sometimes gets decorations, not used a lot except by the shuffle skaters who want to use the whole rink. So as long as I check for a shuffle line I can do a nice jump on that turn.

One particular jump stood out as my best yet. Entered faster and went higher than ever. The kind of jump where you go up, stick, present and then can't help but audibly go "Yea!". Pat self on back. The best skaters came over and said, "We saw that.... nice". Made my day.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 05:07 PM   #946
Altpensacola

Default skate moves

I suppose I write a blog session in my head now after each skate night, thanks to this forum. Last night’s session deserves to be actually written out, (I guess). It is spring break so the place was full, one group even came in a bus, and of course most of them couldn’t even skate. The ones that did, well, How hard is it to understand we all skate in the same direction? I consider the positive thing about busy nights is learning defensive moves. One kid did tell me last night that “You skate pretty good for an old guy.” Thanks. I did add that I hope so, since I’ve been skating since I was her age.

But what I really wanted to write about is skate moves. I figured long ago I could never be a drummer unless all the songs I played were only a minute long. I simple cannot keep the same rhythm or moves longer than that, I change it up, or seem to forget what I was doing. Even in a shuffle skate, I’ll keep up, but after about 60 seconds my feet want to do something else, or I am out of step. I have to get back in it… And I have decided I don’t really have to learn the proper moves for named skate moves, I figure at least I am doing more than just going around the track. And I get a lot of compliments so I must be doing something interesting to those that can’t! One really good shuffle skater told me last night “That move you are doing is really good practice” for such and such move. I don’t bother to tell him, no, that’s my move; this is what I am doing. Maybe his move will come to me later, maybe not. He is one of those people that like to give advice to everyone, which is fine; he does have some good tips and he means well. I am going to approach skate moves like I do my art, there are no rules, as long as I don’t get hurt. I have a wicked sideways skate I can do that looks nothing like the ones folks tried to teach me, and the one I do, kind of a front, back, front back maneuver I can do really fast. And I have really cool backwards skate into a spin trick. And lots of toe stuff. I can’t wait to go back Thursday and show them so more!
Old March 25th, 2016, 05:07 AM   #947
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Tuesday Taco Skate at Roll On America 22Mar2016

Had to go Skating,

And NO Harold I did not YET buy those Crash Pads. Folks that is an older note related to being killed on roller skates in November 2015. That was an unbelievable, skates kicked out from under me, experience.

Anyway I was too too darn good, I mean I double tapped like mad for some Latino songs. And I did some of my tricks like piano playing going sideways. One older guy, probably 20 yrs my junior, came over to me and asked me about skating. Hopefully by my skating, I encouraged him.
i did not go up on my heels sideways, yet damn I wanted to.

One kid on a Scooter, those things I hate, chased me as much as he could just so he could watch me and encourage me. Now I hope he soon rids himself of that scooter.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

P.S. Anyway Harold, SOON. Now that I finished my PT after my November Skate fall, I finally got back to Cooks Skate Shop and they modified my expensive Ride-ll boots for my Orthotics. Next comes the plate. I think I will do Roll Line yet it is almost 900 dollars US

And Yes Crash Pads are in my future

Edit-01: You know I have done this fast double tapping for years, yet dang it, it always is a bit scary cause it seems like you are out of control and moving to fast with your skate feet

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; March 25th, 2016 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Double Tapping scarry
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 05:15 AM   #948
GraySk8ter
76-not dead yet!

Default Family Night

Not a spring break week. So the crowd was much more manageable. In fact the session started rather slow, but picked up after an hour or more into the session. It was a good session and I was able to get enough room from time to time to achieve a hard workout.

It was a bad night from another standpoint though. It seemed like everyone was addicted to their cell phone. They couldn't do without it even for a little while. Saw adults on calls while skating. Other adults that could barely skate using theirs to take video of their self and the kido. One girl(maybe 13) was texting as she skated and did it for at least 10 minutes or more. Others were stopped at the railing checking their texts and facebook entries.

You had the usual problems, wrong way skaters, people stopping in the middle of the floor, and of course the speed demons that weave in and out of traffic while leaving a path of destruction behind. But the worst thing I witnessed was an adult male skating across the floor the wrong way while holding his soft drink in a paper cup. Fortunately he did make it to the exit before dropping anything or hitting anyone .

As I skated slowly around the center circle, there was a little boy learning to skate that was clapping his hands in time with me(to the beat of the music). He was obviously having a great time.

Keep rollin

MANY_SkatingDave: Great plates and great boots will do little to protect bones and joints. I'm with Harold. Pad up brother!

Last edited by GraySk8ter; March 25th, 2016 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Reply to MANY_SkatingDave
Old March 26th, 2016, 01:23 PM   #949
Derrick

Default Thursday at Eastlake

Practiced this and that as always. Taught some twin boys to improve their two foot spins. I'm ne foot IB entering on two feet continues to improve.

I finally got to test the owners advice to the more art style entry from one foot. Did really well at the entry. Picked up some tips from watching physics of ice skating videos. But my performing foot seemed to be forced over (just by rotation) to the IB edge before my body position was ready. Practiced some scratch postion entry at home on my slipper skates. I know, I've been working on it forever, but not giving up.

I showed the owner my progress, but he obviously didn't want to see, didn't care and was completely unimpressed. Well.... he had other issues like a roof leak.

My waltz continues to improve. Found that a nice cross-pull before the mohawk helps rotation. Got some real nice ones. People tend to go, "geeeeez" and stare when I do it nicely.

I try to test my limits at Thursday sessions. There are usually only two or three other people skating. I'm sure I look pretty silly, falling down alot. I do some real clunky successive three turns to go round and round. But, I'm not very good at it yet. I do my transitions with overly animated rotation to get good posture and feel. I'm sure I look stupid but there is no other way to learn.

I thought when I first started to do waltz jumps that they would be totally addictive. I know it's only half a rotation but the landing still looks cool. But it took me so long to get it that only now is that comming true.

I may get some video of my progress today at the park. Depending ng on if I can get the house clean for Easter and what the rest of the fam wants to do.
Old March 26th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #950
Kassus

Default Request Night

Things really came together last night. Most of the crew were there (myself, daughter, SF#1 and SF#2, and JS#1).

Throughout the night, all five of us kept swapping who we primarily were skating with, to mix up the moves a little bit. I know that I was doing a lot of foot-watching to continue to incorporate new things into my style.

Pretty busy; a pair of kids kept cutting across the floor diagonally and I got caught up in it once. Our wheels tangled; I somehow managed to shake loose and keep going - the kid ended up in the wall (but managed to not fall). I think he was more scared than anything, as I was halfway around the floor and he was still in the same place. Well... quit cutting across diagonally and that won't happen!

The other near-collision was when two packs decided to close the gap; daughter and I were going medium fast and I just went for it and weaved twice through the gap. I was really impressed with myself for improving my "getting through packs" skills while shuffle skating.

Daughter and I were holding hands during a medium fast song, but she felt unstable because we were too far away from each other. So I suggested that we wrap our arms starting at the elbows (we BOTH wear wrist guards so this was not aesthetically pleasing to observers but who cares, right?) which made us VERY close together. This made her really nervous because she thought we were going to wreck but I literally counted off the rhythm to her and told her when to crossover and we did fine... and ended up with a little audience

My skate guard friend that I like was critiquing my skating more or less all night... I get that he wants me to be a better skater but sometimes I feel like he wants me to skate like him and I don't want to do that all the time. He's easily the best skater there but sometimes I want to have my own style.

I was watching SF#2's feet a LOT last night and learning some flash/flair to add to my own moves which was funny because SF#1 was doing the same with JS's feet... we were both learning things, but different things, and it was all good.

The high point of the night was probably closer to the end, about 10pm or so; they played an old-school song and daughter and I started out shuffling. Now when I'm leading her I don't go as fast because I want her to learn moves and stability over speed. Pretty soon I heard SF#2 come up behind us so I knew we had three people; I kept a consistent speed so we'd all look good. Turns out that JS, SF#1, and SF#2's daughter all jumped in line so we had a line six deep, but because I didn't go too fast and kept a consistent beat, we were all really tight and completely in sync and we had a pretty good audience.

We've had longer lines before, but never so tight and in sync... so I must be doing something right here. This was the first time I've led the line too. I didn't know how many there were or that we had an audience because I was too busy leading and picking the line. Good times!
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 11:57 AM   #951
Derrick

Default Sunday at Roller Dome North

My youngetst finally came with . It's been months since any of my kids came with. I was going to inhrit his skates (well for $100.00). They are g tting too small for him and he was looking into some jam skate. We looked at the Vanilla's. That's what he can afford, but I'm not totally sold on them. Then I had the idea to mount some different boots on his current/better plates. Great idea, but I lost myself some skates.

Zeke was learning to do backward crosses on his toes. He was doing better than me at it. I said, "I'll do it better after I practice more". I feel that I was trying to goad him into skating with me more, but Geeeeez I'm a jerk sometimes. I immediately wish I could of taken it back.

I was a bit off my game due to the more crowded rink than usual. I did some nice waltz jumps on the corners early. If I map the jump out after the first or second cross pull on the corner I end up finishing the jump on a deep ROB which finishes the corner nicely, without careening into traffic. If there is traffic to the outside I have to abort. The rink was too crowded so I did some in a sometimes occupied center. That didn't go well. Of course I was wanting to show Zeke what I had been learning so thwt didn't go too well though. Except the fisrt one I showed him, I gave it a 6 he said 7. I'll take a 7.

I did end up teaching some two foot scratch spins, which I do quite well. We started some entries with a bit more power as well. I'm at least qualified to teach that.

I had no room to do my better one foot IB entry, I'm relearning it correctly and don't have it mapped out well. I did find a bit of a compromise entry. If I do my cheaty two foot entry (it's the same entry I use for a two foot spin), I bkeed quite a bit of speed. You can get 3 or 4 revs but you have to enter at a pretty good clip.

No skating agwin til thursday

Hope Zeke will go again. The Dome was unhelpful about getting skates, perhaps Eastlake will be better.
Old April 1st, 2016, 04:04 AM   #952
Derrick

Default Busiest thursday afternoon ever at Eastlake

I had my occasional back ache after an impromptu late night basketball game with my teenage boys and freinds. I was twice the next youngest age, but kept up pretty good.

So, in those days I try to skate therapudically, straight up and not too fancy (well my not too fancy is fancier than anyone else there) but gently twisting. Anyway had a different dj. The owner must have been out. Lots of 80s music it was awesome. I was pretty loosened up at 1 hr 45 min. So I did just a couple waltz jumps. I'm getting pretty good at those. I learned to land on a deeper edge that seems to work well for me. Did just a couple one foot spins.

I'm working on a compromise IB spin entry. If I wind up Left foot hard outside edge then go hard Left inside edge and set the Right inside edge I'm only on two feet for a second and don't bleed near as much power as my old two foot entry. It's not quite the entry I'm trying to learn, but it's a step in the right direction.

Thy played "Let it Go" late in the session. I'm always inspired by this one, the music fits my style. I need a nice glidy masculine version though. Perhaps some Motzart. So I just tell people after I skate it all glidy, tight spread eagley, arabesquey, and spiny (when I can pull it off), "It's not masculine, but it's fun". Sometime a young gal will say, "Lucky", "or," that's not fair". That really cracks me up.

It was an awesome evening with all the people around. Kids of all sizes going all different speeds. A nice crowd though

Last edited by Derrick; April 1st, 2016 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Yes, I'm aware some of my sentences are hard to follow
Old April 2nd, 2016, 06:13 PM   #953
Kassus

Default Request Night

Had the full crew last night and it was fun. We all chatted and skated with each other throughout the night.

I'd say that my female friend that skates about once every week or two probably has the closest 'style' to my own. We did skate together a couple of times but she gets hesitant when someone else skates with her because the proximity makes her nervous, plus she doesn't like the attention from the wall-watchers; it's just a fact that if you can skate decent and do it with two or more people, you'll get the attention whether you want it or not.

SF#1 has started to skate more like my JS friend now... /shrug/ I basically told him to knock himself out; it's not my thing really even though he's encouraged me to do so. The problem I'm having here is that he just takes off at a million miles an hour and doesn't take into account that it takes me longer to watch and practice the moves - repeatedly - before I'm comfortable with them, plus nevermind the fact that I've sacrificed speed with my latest set of wheels. I like my most recent wheels a lot (I can go backwards now without worrying about constantly sliding out) but there are times that I do miss the speed I had before. It's a trade-off though... speed or grip, choose one or the other.

SF#2 is rocket-fuel powered without a doubt; however, on multiple occasions last night he slowed it down to Indy 500 speeds in order to skate with me and/or my daughter. He does this move with the feet that's kind of a sweepy curve sort of thing, but without losing the rhythm. We practiced it last night again. Last week was at a medium-slow pace; this week was more of a medium-fast. I messed up a lot but am continuing to learn (and the fact that we did it while getting through several packs was pretty impressive to me).

Last song was one that we all liked; we all broke off into several groups. I refused to skate fast at the beginning only to run out of steam halfway through so daughter and I paced ourselves, and sure enough everyone else ended up coming into line with us for another six-deep line. It was fun but kind of made me mad to hear that the manager was >< this close to getting on to us for going too fast when the real issue wasn't my speed, it was the fact that we had a shuffle line that long that was going medium fast and not afraid of slicing through packs.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 02:28 AM   #954
GraySk8ter
76-not dead yet!

Default Which wheels to use?? That is the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassus View Post
...I like my most recent wheels a lot (I can go backwards now without worrying about constantly sliding out) but there are times that I do miss the speed I had before. It's a trade-off though... speed or grip, choose one or the other. ...
It is NOT necessary to sacrifice speed for grip. I run 97a Faster Wheels. They grip like slower more sticky wheels, but they roll like my 101a Roller Bones Turbo wheels. I am quite sure(although I have never rolled Scott's wheels), the forum members that have Scott's wheels will tell you the same. Grip and speed on most any surface is available with one set of wheels.

Talk to members of the forum about it(everyone has opinions about wheels). But if you know anyone that has Scott's or Faster wheels, do your best to borrow them for a trial spin.

Keep rollin

p.s. keep your grove, keep the moves, but also keep the raw speed.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 04:40 AM   #955
Derrick

Default Another great afternoon this time at auburn skatin station

Was not too crowded, but enough to be fun. I've changed up my routine a bit. I try to spend more time just observing and dancing slower. I can't bring myself to go crowd speed though, that's a little too slow.

Saturday kid crowds are really fun. They told anyone under 18 to sit down for the rules. As I was the only one standing, I sat down real fast too. They thought that was pretty funny.

The owner liked that I played the games along with everyone else.

The kids wondered how I got so good. I never really know what to say. Internet, practice, desire, it's just really fun.

I thought I was going to plateau on advancing skills a couple if weeks ago but things are really comming around. My two foot spin is really doing well and my two foot entry one foot spin is going pretty good too. Even the adults were trying to imitate the two foot spin. I get asked a lot if I was an ice skater cause I do ice skating moves (really like 3 moves and and some 3 turns). Out of what, a couple of hundred named art elements. I did ice skate a little while but just open sessions when I was 11. I could walk to the rink in Denver. Never got real good, I could go backwards and do cross overs, that's about it.

My toes going backwards is comming along although I'm not really trying to focus on that, it just happens. I can switch leading feet easily now.

I now side surf really well. I can go close together, down so I can touch the floor. Either foot in the lead. Back edges close or far apart. Sepentine motions. Frankly, for me it feels a bit like a crutch move though. I'm not sure what really makes me say that, but it just seems too easy.

My shuffle skating could be better though, I have real trouble imitating the line. I'm not sure my bounce is quite right either.

Waltz jumps were execellent. I land them and say "Yea", just can't help it. As if I just did an axel (which I will never do). I have them well mapped into a session now where it's easy to see if I have room well in advance. My landings are much better.

I did some waltz jumps on consession side in front of the owner. She sold me a pair of skates three years, cheapies that had a jump bar (nothing wrong with the jump bar but they were horrible skates). She tried to convince me to keep them because she used to jump up do a half turn and land on her toe stops. She was trying anything to get me to kerp theese horrible chicago skates. I told her I was to old to start jumping. Thought I was at the time, perhaps skating made me younger. So I had her take back the skates and did a bunch more research before I had her order the ones I have now. I'm sure she diesn't remember any of it, but I showed off my jumps anyway.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 03:28 PM   #956
Kassus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySk8ter View Post
I run 97a Faster Wheels
Thanks... I'll check around. No one around here runs them; I would know it if they did. Most (okay... all) of the skaters I know that aren't still on stock are either using some version of Zombies, Cannibals, or Shamans.
Old April 4th, 2016, 04:26 AM   #957
Derrick

Default one of THOSE incidents at Happy Valley on sundady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassus View Post
Thanks... I'll check around. No one around here runs them; I would know it if they did. Most (okay... all) of the skaters I know that aren't still on stock are either using some version of Zombies, Cannibals, or Shamans.
I supose if you skate enough it's bound to happen. Well my duaghter joined me for the first time in months. She called her friend and coincidentally her friend was already going to attend a birthday party there.

Well my daughter and I were dancing the couples skate and a woman, I'll guess 40 and her daughter were also skating. I was doing the backward part and so was this woman. There are no inner circle lines at Happy Valley and this woman had a bad habit of cutting the corner very short. Well IO was going along and my daughter said, "Watch Out". This woman had totally cut us off. Well at the excalmation both her and I spun to forward. Too late, I caught her from behind right under the arm pits. Just finger tips mind you. I held her up so she would not fall and when she got her balance back I let go. So I turned and said ,"Shwew" You know, no blood no foul. She gave me the laser eyes and wouldn't even speak. OK, it was TOTALLY her fault and I saved her from a nasty fall..

She's related to the owner, I think an in-law. And I think she is related to everyone in town and I am not. So, before I get run out of town I'll take a survey.

Would you rather be held up avoiding a fall of unknown injury? Even if a stranger held you up from under the armpits or just left to fall?

So far I got 1 to 1. My daughter, a total touch me not, said she would rather break a leg than have a stranger hod her up under the arm pits. My wife reluctantly admitted she would rather be held up.

Doesn't really matter I could never bring myself to just let someone fall.
Old April 5th, 2016, 05:29 PM   #958
Kassus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
So, before I get run out of town I'll take a survey.

Would you rather be held up avoiding a fall of unknown injury? Even if a stranger held you up from under the armpits or just left to fall?

So far I got 1 to 1. My daughter, a total touch me not, said she would rather break a leg than have a stranger hod her up under the arm pits. My wife reluctantly admitted she would rather be held up.

Doesn't really matter I could never bring myself to just let someone fall.
I'm a complete touch-me-not with a couple of exceptions:
1. If enough time has gone by and I've gotten to know you then I'll let you in my personal space/touch you during conversation, etc.
2. On the skate floor.

By #2 I DON'T mean all touchy-grabby; I hate that. What I DO mean is that if it's to avoid a wreck, I'll do the small-of-the-back touch to let someone know I'm behind them if they're coming into my line, etc. This also means that if I'm about to be wrecked epically, I'd rather someone just grab me by whatever means necessary to save me from eating it IF they are a strong enough skater to support us both without collecting us both.

HTH.
Old April 6th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #959
Altpensacola

Default Tighten Up!

I just realized I have had my “new” skates 1 year. I can’t believe the new stuff I can do since I got them. Before last night’s session I was messing with them and decided to tighten the trucks. I have never actually messed with the trucks before, just wheels and bearings. I wasn’t sure how they would react, or how I would react to them. I actually feel a noticeable rate of more control on maneuvers, front to back, toe work and spins etc. At first doing a one foot snake or whatever it is was harder, but a little more leg action and it was fine. Speed was even better in turns, though with my wheels I have to watch slides. But even slides were more controlled. The cushions are 87’s next session I am going to order 89s. And try them, or even a combination of 87s, and 89s, tune it in just right. It makes since that less side to side action would lead to better control. I was just always afraid of over tightening them and ruining them. PowerDyne Dyno Plate, Roller Bones 95 wheels. Swiss 6 Bearings. Reidell 265 boot. Jam plugs.
Old April 7th, 2016, 10:40 PM   #960
Kassus

I prefer the opposite; I've got some of the softest cushions out there for my skate and my front trucks are looser than my rear trucks. It's all a matter of personal preference. I like being able to make a quick and sudden turn on a crowded night and for ME, the softer cushions seem to do that. YMMV.