S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old July 31st, 2014, 05:04 PM   #1
TheSweeney

Default Outdoor Quads

Hi all,

So not too sure if I've actually posted before, though I've read a lot of the forum!

Anyway, I am a derby player who managed to tear my atfl and cfl (almost completely) in my ankle, and my meniscus in my knee at the same time. If you are going to break yourself, may as well go full out.

This means I am probably not going to return to competitions as the meniscus could only be trimmed (with surgery)vand I don't want to damage it further when I'm in my 20's.

I do, however, love skating and want to continue outdoor skating, skate park skating, and speed skating, all on quads not in-lines. I also will be doing a bit of coaching and indoor speed skating.

I need a skate that has ankle support and that I can use predominantly outdoor but put some indoor wheels on to skate indoor.

I was thinking of Antiks AR1 etc. But then I figured -if I'm not skating derby anymore I should get a skate suited to the activity.

So, outdoor people...
Where do I start if I want outdoor skates?
I have a wide ball of feet and a small heel.

What makes of boots and what plates should I be looking at? Assume money isn't a major issue as I'd rather save and get good ones then get cheaper as I already know I love skating!

Really appreciate any thoughts anyone has as I'm currently quite lost as to where to begin.

cheers
Sweeney
TheSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 11:08 AM   #2
Gero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweeney View Post
Hi all,

So not too sure if I've actually posted before, though I've read a lot of the forum!

Anyway, I am a derby player who managed to tear my atfl and cfl (almost completely) in my ankle, and my meniscus in my knee at the same time. If you are going to break yourself, may as well go full out.

This means I am probably not going to return to competitions as the meniscus could only be trimmed (with surgery)vand I don't want to damage it further when I'm in my 20's.

I do, however, love skating and want to continue outdoor skating, skate park skating, and speed skating, all on quads not in-lines. I also will be doing a bit of coaching and indoor speed skating.

I need a skate that has ankle support and that I can use predominantly outdoor but put some indoor wheels on to skate indoor.

I was thinking of Antiks AR1 etc. But then I figured -if I'm not skating derby anymore I should get a skate suited to the activity.

So, outdoor people...
Where do I start if I want outdoor skates?
I have a wide ball of feet and a small heel.

What makes of boots and what plates should I be looking at? Assume money isn't a major issue as I'd rather save and get good ones then get cheaper as I already know I love skating!

Really appreciate any thoughts anyone has as I'm currently quite lost as to where to begin.

cheers
Sweeney
Hey Sweeney,

best ankle support gives you the "Classic 66" from Riedell. I have two sets of it and use them primary for Skatenights outdoors since many years. The boot is really excellent and well padded.

Cheers

Gero
and skate like nobody's watching.
Gero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #3
yedaki_de
Outdoor Quad Skater

Hi Sweeny,

the ankle-support is overrated in oudoorskating. You need free ankles to make long steps.

My suggestions:

http://www.bont.com/quad/products/hybrid/index.html

or

http://www.bont.com/quad/products/va...bon/index.html

The Vaypor has a wider ball area than the Hybrid.
it is also possible that you order a semi-custom if your feet are very unusual.

I use the Quadracer Leather for distanceskating and I am very satisfied with them. The Hybrid is the same last, I think, but has a bit thicker leather. My next one might be a Hybrid.

Johannes
yedaki_de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 10:48 AM   #4
JorisKB

Antik won't bring you any support.
If you really want ankle support, you can use an inline shell, are a figure skate boot.
In either way you will have to adapt the way you skate.
http://rollerquad.net/liste-de-montage-custom/
JorisKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #5
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by yedaki_de View Post
the ankle-support is overrated in oudoorskating. You need free ankles to make long steps.
we should first define what is outdoor skating...
for us it's skating in the street, and I can guarantee you that ankle support is NOT overrated
if for you it's riding on long and perfect cycle path, then yes, you should try ankle free boots like football shoes !
wawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 01:22 AM   #6
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
for us it's skating in the street, and I can guarantee you that ankle support is NOT overrated
if for you it's riding on long and perfect cycle path, then yes, you should try ankle free boots like football shoes !
In my view, one of the primary advantages of quad skates is that they BALANCE THEMSELVES. So it takes no ankle effort to keep them balanced and rolling straight ahead with the skates below you.

Now, when it comes to doing your lateral leg pushes, the body gets pushed by leg extension away from being directly over the skate, and if all the wheels stay down on the rolling surface, then the ankle must start to bend.

Since we want to keep all wheels down, as well as curve the track of the skate some during the push, then we need the ankle to both lean the plate and bend some as leg extends. It is by the shifting of weight, from our body leaning away from over the skate, and from our feet concentrating more weight to one side or other of the plate (with lateral ankle force) that the plate flexing force needed to work the action and keep all wheels down is provided.

Only when the suspension is overly tight and resisting the plate from leaning during the leg push does the ankle itself have to apply a lot of force to lean the plate. Normally just a bit of shifting of the skaters weight more over to one side of the boot can make this happen, unless suspension is really tight.
This does demand some work from the ankle to shift this weight, but not so much if suspension is highly responsive

So bottom line for quad skaters with weak or damaged ankles is to have super well tuned (BUT NOT WOBBLY) suspensions requiring minimum, lateral weight shift force in order to to work the action. If this approach still leaves you feeling like your ankle(s) is still too weak to keep the plate stable and to maintain your desired track, only then does the higher ankle collar boot make sense, since it does allow you to recruite your lower leg to be used to help lean the plates by moving your knee laterally over your down skate to help work the action.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; August 8th, 2014 at 04:39 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #7
wawa

Nice technical and theorical argumentation, but I'm not convinced.

Once again we're talking about agressive skating in the street when you're talking about nice outdoor skating on cycle path.

In our way of skating (I'm not saying that it is better of worse than conventional outdoor skating) we like the ankle support because we have mixed slalom and jump in the skating !

I currently skate with theses skates, and it's just pure love <3
Old August 6th, 2014, 04:53 PM   #8
yedaki_de
Outdoor Quad Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
Ok, you are right, I talked about skating streets and trails, but no agressive street with jumps or fancy tricks.
If I could do your skating style, I would also prefer some ankle support.
I am more a distance-skater, but I admire your skatingstyle.
Old August 6th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #9
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by yedaki_de View Post
I am more a distance-skater, but I admire your skatingstyle.
thank you,

In this case yes, you should try an ankle free boot. I personnally like soccer shoes, like Nike Tiempo: light and very tight !
Old August 7th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #10
TheSweeney

Hi all,

Thanks for you comments so far!

I will need ankle support - I currently skate in Bont Hybrid's and my ankle is not that stable so I've gone over it a few times since the initial accident. My Physio told me I either need a high boot, an ankle support, or to strap every time, but she said getting a good boot is the best option. The Bonts just really aren't working for me (as much as I love them)

The Classic 66 looks like a really good option - but I think I will be hard pressed to get a pair in the UK...

Just to add, I have wide feet but narrow heels...

Skating will consist of skating to work, around parks/uneven surfaces, skating around flatter surfaces on endurance skates, and the occasional skating indoors shen I coach derby. Oh I do a bit of skatepark ramps and the like to, and am known to do jumping.

I don't mind compromising on movement as it is far more important I don't resprain my ankle (I only just narrowly missed having to have surgery).

I've been thinking if they fit I got get a convert of these: Bauer Vapor X60 what do you think?

Or how are the classic 66 fit as I coudl ask to order in a pair?
Old August 7th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #11
Gero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweeney View Post

The Classic 66 looks like a really good option - but I think I will be hard pressed to get a pair in the UK...

Just to add, I have wide feet but narrow heels..

Or how are the classic 66 fit as I coudl ask to order in a pair?
The Classic 66 you can order from USA, I got mine form skates.com

You can also get them by any Riedell dealer in UK just by ordering them.

If you prefer to get them from Europe, www.quadrollerskateshop.com is an authorized Bont dealer in Berlin, Germany.

Just to add... the boot is narrow enough at the heels and also a bit more wider than nessessary (for me) in the toe box. Should work!

Just in case you have a 10.5-11 UK size, I would take your bonts with a smile before you scrap them! ;-) I already have them an two other Bonts on my speed setups and looooooooooooove them!

Cheers from Germany

Gero
and skate like nobody's watching.
Gero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2014, 12:14 PM   #12
TheSweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gero View Post
Just in case you have a 10.5-11 UK size, I would take your bonts with a smile before you scrap them! ;-) I already have them an two other Bonts on my speed setups and looooooooooooove them!
Gero

Hello, afraid they are a lot smaller 6.5 or so!

I am trying on a pair of Classic 66's next week and have Bauer Vapor x60 conversions as a back up so looks like after a long time, I may have a new boot!

Going to need to be careful as my AFTL and CFL in my ankle seem to be a little unstable but improving.

cheers all will keep you posted once I get some
Old September 14th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #13
2tence

I use the Riddell 220's, my foot composition is similar to what you have described and if you order your 66's in wide you ought to have no problem... there is a lot more room at the ball of the foot than the standard issue boots.
2tence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #14
Krew76
Banned

I have the Riedell Classic 66. I found mine on UK ebay for a very good price and virtually unused. They're very comfortable out the box. I have the earlier version which came with the dynapro metal plate. They seem very heavy.

As i've always skated old skool Bauer plastics and new school ice hockey boots i prefer the break your ankle rigidity of those but worn loose so i can move my ankle. The riedells just feel weird as it's somehing i am not used too.

I prefer skating outside on converted icehockey skate boots with Sims or airwaves. These are my outdoor skates

Last edited by Krew76; September 15th, 2014 at 01:42 PM. Reason: pic added
Krew76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2014, 06:13 PM   #15
Fancy-Kerrigan

wow, I know all about this.
About 4 years ago i broke my left leg while spinning on it. The skate stopped....I didn't. Long story short....both bones broke. The one on the outside shattered where it met up with the ankle. I do not have full range of motion in that ankle (80-90%) My Physical Therapist recomended a lace up brace when I skate. I have been using a lace up brace on both ankles ever since. (having it just on one foot felt off balance to me)
I recomend this for you for the following reasons:

1. over time the brace gets broken in and provides less and less support, having to be replaced about yearly. Replacing a broken in tall boot would be way more expensive.
2. Other then having to buy a bigger size Bont, I can still wear the boot that I love.
3. An ankle brace with a lower cut boot gives me a safe range of motion, without the restriction of a taller boot.
4. A taller boot will most likely come with a heel.....not exactly what you want for speed skating.

I used to skate derby, I now skate a little art, a little speed, and a little shuffle skating. I skate indoors and out. My first love is outdoor skating. Glad that you are not giving up on what you love.
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #16
wawa

Does anybody here know theses boots :
- http://rollerquad.eu/hardboots/roces-cdg-hardboots/
- http://rollerquad.eu/hardboots/rolle...10k-hardboots/

It's just so much more advance and precise that hockey or derby boots that i don't understand why nobody chase them
Old September 16th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #17
Fancy-Kerrigan

Those look like inline skates.....a bit different than quads.
They don't look very comfortable and kind of look like something that should be strapped on a pair of down hill skis.
Old September 16th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #18
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Kerrigan View Post
Those look like inline skates.....a bit different than quads.
These are, for me, the most interesting inlineskate hardboots. And yes the confort is really good, especially if you put a Seba liner

http://rollerquad.net/rollerfr-monta...ion-10k-lazer/
http://rollerquad.net/le-montage-de-rollerboy/
Old September 16th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #19
Fancy-Kerrigan

I'm sure it's a great boot for inline skating, however for quad skating we need a little more ankle mobility.

Also, this is the outdoor quads forum - maybe your links would be better suited to the inline forum?
Old September 16th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #20
yedaki_de
Outdoor Quad Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Kerrigan View Post
I'm sure it's a great boot for inline skating, however for quad skating we need a little more ankle mobility.

Also, this is the outdoor quads forum - maybe your links would be better suited to the inline forum?
Like the provided links show, they are ment for quadskates. The french style is a bit more aggressive, so stability is prefered, I assume.

Tags
outdoor, post-surgery, quads