S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old November 24th, 2019, 12:25 PM   #41
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyodinosaur View Post
This thread needs to be locked before things escalate further.
I can't see i going anywhere but stupider.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2019, 01:52 PM   #42
fierocious1

Default Mort, first test setup from years ago.

White Magnum converted to work with inline boots. It had overlength kingpins back then as I was working with multiple tall cushion sets. They worked very well but I felt that I had to move on to making from scratch a plate that did the conversion to an inline boot without adapters. These plates had material milled off of them and are magnesium. My next frame weighed less than the White Magnum.

White Magnum adapted to inline
[IMG]165mm boot adapted to SG White Magnum. Holes and spacing worked out pretty good I think but will have to skate them to be sure. by fierocious1, on Flickr[/IMG]

First version test plate
[IMG]20161228_200410 by fierocious1, on Flickr[/IMG]
This is the plate I have tested the most on. Never broken anything on it. The pic was taken just after milling was finished, not even polished up yet. I made several other plates but I ended up using this one to continue testing and is my session plate. It clears bigger wheels easily. Also can test double stacked SG cones(1 inch tall) and with the spacers, 3/4" sets of cushions I currently use. Purple/yellow cushion stack being tested in this pic.
[IMG]20161231_195050 by fierocious1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Spacers used to take up extra kp length as needed, it's just a spacer....
[IMG]Little clearance between compression nut and truck body. by fierocious1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Wanting more info about DA45 truck adjustments and settings, I built the plates analyzer. Could load the plate and test input/output angles while being loaded, notice the scale readout.
[IMG]20161127_113619 by fierocious1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Trucks turned as input angle is measured.
[IMG]20161127_113656 by fierocious1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Current cushion configuration.
[IMG]Finished! by fierocious1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Another test. Plate was made for extra long axle centerline test How much could I manupulate turn radius. Also tested SA trucks converted to DA to observe similarities in truck properties.
[IMG]8 5/8" wb plate. 195mm inline mount. by fierocious1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Opened the cushion pockets up on the SA trucks for larger standard cushions.
[IMG]SA DA45, modified truck. Now accepts 1" cushions and milled on the bottom for cushion clearance. 80grams. by fierocious1, on Flickr[/IMG]

More truck testing.
[IMG]Mock up a. by fierocious1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Standard studs too short
[IMG]Opened up the cushion pockets and then found my 1/4" spacer. Geometry looks good now. by fierocious1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Uncut 85mm wheels on my outdoor setup
[IMG]Outdoor skates completed and tested. by fierocious1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Lots of hours testing, over and over again. No broken parts. DA45 gives a person a broader range of adjustment than other more vertical kp configurations, but plates must be modified to fully take advantage of the range of tuning.

No "feeling like this or that", just hard numbers, facts, data....
Old November 25th, 2019, 12:18 AM   #43
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
They worked very well but I felt that I had to move on to making from scratch a plate that did the conversion to an inline boot without adapters. These plates had material milled off of them and are magnesium. My next frame weighed less than the White Magnum.
Inline skating by its very nature is anti-karma, to inline skate you have to eat a part of your foot. The boots are a shell with a liner and somewhere your body has to hook-up with the boot, and that's where you're letting the boot "eat" you.

Roller Skating doesn't require a hard shell, rather the opposite, a leather skin.

Using inline boots to rollerskate?

Recommending red loctite be applied to a king pin rather than a locknut?

It's like Dillo's, channeling?
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2019, 12:24 AM   #44
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

The tinkering you do on skates is cool, purposeful, and individualized. It's not like you're out advocating people do the same things you've done. You just present information, if they want to know more, they can ask.

Our friend Mike(Ursle) just likes to hate on anything that doesnt appeal to him. Like those skates Cesar used to walk dogs, while ai dont like the look of them either , I didnt think they were stupid per se. Hes pretty judgemental out of the box.

He doesnt ask questions about the ups and down, such as "what if your kingpin does happen to break? Wouldnt it be difficult to remove?" Hes just instantly to the accusations of "this guys an idiot"

Personally, my only gripe with most kingpins, is they are threaded where they dont need to be. Or at least, shouldnt be. The threads should be only enough for proper use. The rest of the hardware should be smooth bore to retain the maximum strength possible. Another reason I hate laser plates. 7mm fully threaded axles are trash IMO, they are full of stress risers.

IMO here
A kingpin should have a beveled seat so the entire smooth circumference of the kingpin can be encapsulated by the plate at its base where the threads stop. The smooth bore should extend to about the maximum length they can be so you can still make compression adjustments, but at a point it would not allow more compression because there wouldnt be enough threaded area for it. One could, or should, at that point, use stiffer cushions Many kps break because they have threads below the truck or right at the truck yoke/cushion platform. Where the leverage are applied.
Old November 25th, 2019, 01:41 AM   #45
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
The tinkering you do on skates is cool, purposeful, and individualized. It's not like you're out advocating people do the same things you've done. You just present information, if they want to know more, they can ask.

Our friend Mike(Ursle) just likes to hate on anything that doesnt appeal to him. Like those skates Cesar used to walk dogs, while ai dont like the look of them either , I didnt think they were stupid per se. Hes pretty judgemental out of the box.

He doesnt ask questions about the ups and down, such as "what if your kingpin does happen to break? Wouldnt it be difficult to remove?" Hes just instantly to the accusations of "this guys an idiot"

Personally, my only gripe with most kingpins, is they are threaded where they dont need to be. Or at least, shouldnt be. The threads should be only enough for proper use. The rest of the hardware should be smooth bore to retain the maximum strength possible. Another reason I hate laser plates. 7mm fully threaded axles are trash IMO, they are full of stress risers.

IMO here
A kingpin should have a beveled seat so the entire smooth circumference of the kingpin can be encapsulated by the plate at its base where the threads stop. The smooth bore should extend to about the maximum length they can be so you can still make compression adjustments, but at a point it would not allow more compression because there wouldnt be enough threaded area for it. One could, or should, at that point, use stiffer cushions Many kps break because they have threads below the truck or right at the truck yoke/cushion platform. Where the leverage are applied.
I like the kingpins to have plenty of smooth portion to let the cushions move on with out ripping the insides out of the cushion bore. Went through that a while back, not an issue now. Spacers also allow you to run the nuts down it the smooth portion is way out of the lower cushion. There are good cushions and there are great cushions, but testing them out is the only way to find out what is the best for each person.

I have spent a lot of money testing stuff that only gets used once and put away when the results are not what I am looking for. My skates may not look like much but I have many hours of skating on them and they work very well. They do as I like them to. Not done as much outdoor skating as I would like to but the outdoor skates work well too.. and handle the bigger wheels with no issues.

I'm happy with them, that it all that matters. But along the way I learned a lot about what goes on beyond just changing cushions.