S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old June 3rd, 2018, 03:17 AM   #1
ValerieAnne

Default Inline Recommendations...

Hey all. I have a few different skates I am looking at purchasing. My budget is under $80 - and luckily all of the ones I'm looking at are on sale! I can wear between a 3 and a 6.5 in shoes (women, normally wear 6.5, as I like a bit extra room). People have told me to get adjustable ones and aluminum frames. CM is 22-22.5

I'd be fine with that, but I don't really like the designs and such on the adjustable ones as they are made for children (so I've heard). I'd like to keep the wheel size 84 and below (at the moment, then if I upgrade/once I'm used to (in about 1-2 years probably) find ones that can accommodate larger wheels. I will only be using in my neighbourhood and around my block. On my street/block half the actual street is fresh pavement and half of it is all broken/torn up (same with the sidewalks) because my street is in two different towns/areas - one is part of Cincinnati, who take care of it and the other is part of a township that takes care of theirs alone.

The pairs I am looking/considering are (all links lead to InlineSkates.com), but thought this would be the best way to say/tell which ones. lol.

K2 Alexis X Pro Womens - Size 4
K2 Kinetic 80 Women - Size 6
Bladerunner Advantage Pro XT Women Size 6
5th Element Lynx LX Womens Size 6
Roces Dodge (Men) - Size 5

I'd like to be able to remove the break, once I'm used to skating again and change the wheel size on them if needed/wanted. I chose the smallest size for each pair (the men, 5 because it said a 6 women is a 5 male?)

Sorry there are a few more that I was considering so figured I'd throw them on here as well. So, I apologize for so many pairs.
ValerieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2018, 05:34 PM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Best in that list, is the last one, the Roces Dodge.

The retail price is the 2nd highest. So it probably is the best of the lot.

I don't like the lace style for the boots personally, but it shouldn't be bad unless you have a super skinny foot. Sometimes those types of lace loops are not able to tighten as much as standard eyelets.

The Alexis is a "Hi-lo" setup, and requires different sized wheels to function correctly. I would stay away from them. It makes wheel rotations somewhat of an issue.

Rollerblade twister 243/twister 80 is a higher priced urban skate, but is often on sale, fitment is very good and comfortable. Look for them too, but they may run you a bit more. IMO probably worth it, as they boast the best comfort. I have had rollerblade brand skates all my life and never had issues with comfort.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 08:00 PM   #3
ValerieAnne

Thank you, Mort. I went ahead and purchased the Bladerunner pair. I decided to get them on Amazon instead (as they were 65$, through the Warehouse and in New condition at the time). Just put the order through. If I don't like them, I have 30 days to return (according to Amazon) and will probably get the Roces ones, as they were the ones I kept going back to but I've tried to stay away because they are men sizes, so decided to try the women size first. (My first "run" will just be trying them on and in my room/on the carpet, not out in the wild or anything lol).

Here's hoping I like the ones I will be receiving. If not (and they are still on sale, the person at InlineSkates I chatted with said he believes the sale is for the full month), I'll probably get the 2 return 1 option (for $15) and get two pairs (the Roces being one of them).

Sadly, I didn't see this before hand, as it would've made the decision much easier for me.

I also kind of like the V500 ones, but they look too plasticy to me and the colors are too vibrant (the ones I've seen), but I may grab a pair if I can find a really good deal on them, as well, just to see if I prefer the 3 strap/buckle system like on them or the buckle/strap and laces).

I can't remember if my original Scwhinn (from the 90s) were all strap/buckles or had laces, but thought I'd try out laces first.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 11:58 PM   #4
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Good Wheels make a huge difference, bearings don't make hardly any impact. Most skates do not come with good wheels unless you are buying something above 250$

Almost every manufacture had a size chart specific to their skates, I urge you to research them when buying. You also need to measure your foot so you know exactly the length,/width and not the "size" of a shoe you happen to wear. This way you can take a real measurement of your foot and apply it to various makers charts to know what you need.

Measure your feet with the socks you prefer to wear for the most accurate fit.

Research is the difference between speculation and investment.
Old June 4th, 2018, 01:13 AM   #5
ValerieAnne

Again, thanks, Mort. My feet measure 22-23.5cm (so 220-235mm). One of the reasons I went for the 6 is because I think it's the size I had when I last skated (as they were my momma's and she gave them to me when she decided to not skate any longer), and they were a bit loose on me (the toe-box) which I heard is a good thing, was a snug fit elsewhere.

I normally just throw a pair of socks on/every day socks. Thanks! I'll check for charts for wheels for the skates I purchased. I wasn't sure if changing the wheel size meant changing the baring size, I watched a few videos today, that showed me that they aren't one and the same. I can have the default bearings and different wheels, etc.

According to the sizing chart for Rollerblade, that would be size 5 to size 6.5 - so I think size 6 will do well as it's between those numbers. (Here's hoping anyway LOL). Lately, I've been wearing these Saucony socks for everyday wear or very thin/no show socks (think pantie hose material) if I just want a covering for my feet. Maybe I should invest in just socks that I'd only wear skating though. These socks are much thinner then the ones I used to wear (as I used to only wear the thicker Hanes socks, unless i couldn't because I wasn't able to do so)

Tags
recommendations