S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old January 11th, 2017, 11:58 PM   #1
BlondeWitch
4PairsCustomSkates=Broke

Default Do you know of a plate with low center of gravity that isn't the Roll Line Dance and

can still do one foot spins?

I've been trying to learn roller dance (for session) and am having trouble keeping myself stable and also not roll while trying to basically dance in place. I've tested out dancing on my Atlas plate and my Variant M plate. I've also tried softer wheels, down to 95A.

I don't want to go to a wider wheel because I still want to be able to do one-foot spins.

So, when it wasn't working out great on those two plates, I decided to try using my Roll Line Dance plate and it is pretty good! The only problem is that I do not want to use my dance skate and constantly be changing wheels and toe stops.

My Variant M plate is on my session skate right now. I can't afford to replace it with a Roll Line dance plate ($485) so I was wondering if anybody would know of another plate I could look at that would be similar and not as expensive.

I believe it is the lower center of gravity on the dance plate that is making the difference.
BlondeWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 01:23 AM   #2
Skatervideoguy

Hi BlondeWitch,

Those SP Teri's are some hard boots, They're what i used on my Stilt Skates to help keep me Vertical. Are you running them fully Laced for the roller dance (for session) you're trying to do ?

If so, that's rather difficult to do. Most folks I see doing that type of Skating don't Lace their boots much past the first eyelet, if that.

As to the Plate issue, do all 3 plates have the same Axle distance ?

Do all 3 plates have the same height from the Axle to the Plate bottom ?

If they are all the same, then are the Plates all mounted in the Same Place on the Boots ?

Are you using the Same Hardness of Cushions in each skate ? Are they all adjusted the same ?

As to Wheels, are you using all the same sized wheels ? 45mm up to 66mm ?

You can always go for shorter Wheels - if you're not already using the 45mm ones. Smaller wheels will get your Center Of Gravity down.

Lots of Variables to consider - before you opt for new Plates.

Is this something like you're trying to learn ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kw6Wh9_THM

Harold
Old January 12th, 2017, 02:10 AM   #3
BlondeWitch
4PairsCustomSkates=Broke

Thanks for your input Harold.

I couldn't fit my fourth pair of skates into my signature haha! But the boots I am using for session are Riedell 336's. I have the Variant M plate mounted to that right now and those are my softest boots.

I've had the greatest success dancing in place in my SP Teri boots (which have been custom made super soft for compulsory dance, but not quite as soft as the 336's) with the Roll Line Dance plate.

Bottom line is I can only use the Riedell 336 boot for session, I compete on my other skates. I have to find a way to make the Riedells work for session.

I've only done roller dance using 57mm wheels. I can try smaller wheels but after dancing on that Roll Line Dance plate, I feel crazed like I have to get something like that- LOL!!
Old January 13th, 2017, 01:40 AM   #4
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeWitch View Post
Thanks for your input Harold.

I couldn't fit my fourth pair of skates into my signature haha! But the boots I am using for session are Riedell 336's. I have the Variant M plate mounted to that right now and those are my softest boots.

I've had the greatest success dancing in place in my SP Teri boots (which have been custom made super soft for compulsory dance, but not quite as soft as the 336's) with the Roll Line Dance plate.

Bottom line is I can only use the Riedell 336 boot for session, I compete on my other skates. I have to find a way to make the Riedells work for session.

I've only done roller dance using 57mm wheels. I can try smaller wheels but after dancing on that Roll Line Dance plate, I feel crazed like I have to get something like that- LOL!!
Help me understand what you mean when you say, dancing in place.
Old January 13th, 2017, 06:38 AM   #5
BlondeWitch
4PairsCustomSkates=Broke

I am having trouble finding a good example but look at the first 1:10 of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahZFnwDVl1I

I'm talking about dancing in a very small area, a lot on toe stops. Very disco-inspired.
Old January 13th, 2017, 03:28 PM   #6
Skatervideoguy

Hi BlondeWitch,

In that Video, are you focusing on the footwork or the Lift Spinning ? or Both ?

Harold
Old January 13th, 2017, 08:41 PM   #7
BlondeWitch
4PairsCustomSkates=Broke

Default Footwork!

Definitely footwork. No lifts (haha I wish)
And I'd like to be able to do some spinning too but it's definitely more of a dancing thing mixed in with some of the downtown style skating.

OK I MAY BE OPENING UP A WHOLE NEW CAN OF WORMS (TOPIC) HERE BUT:

If I was a better skater I could dance well on any plate. I'm trying to get better and I think I need to have stronger legs and probably more importantly, a stronger core (starting Pilates really soon!)

I didn't start skating lessons until I was 45. Most coaches I know say it doesn't matter what equipment you're on, just skate. That may be true for some people and especially kids. But I have found that there is a difference in plates and wheels and the way a boot fits. If I feel better in a particular set up, I can learn the skill more easily and more quickly. Once a skill is learned, it is easier to transfer it to any skate set-up.

Three examples (out of many I could provide): 1.Huge improvement in learning freestyle by switching from the Bones Super Elite wheels to the Roll Line Mustangs and Panthers.
2. Also switching to the 55mm Panthers (Lights) vs. 57mm has improved learning spins, and footwork.
3. Couldn't do compulsory dance deep edges well in my Riedell 336 on Roll Line Dance plate because the boot (although custom) is not a perfect fit-- but I'm killing it in my SP Teri (custom extra soft, although stiffer than the 336) on the Roll Line Dance plate.

**The only people I have heard say it doesn't really matter what equipment you're on, are people who learned to skate as kids.

So bottom line is, if I could put a plate more like the Roll Line Dance onto my session boot (Riedell 336), I could learn the dance moves more easily/quickly.
Old January 13th, 2017, 10:42 PM   #8
Skatervideoguy

Hi BlondeWitch,

Quote:
Definitely footwork. No lifts (haha I wish)
Shucks, I was hoping for the Lift Spins. Used to do lots of them back in the late 60's & early 70's, not so good at the dance footwork though.

Quote:
But I have found that there is a difference in plates and wheels and the way a boot fits. If I feel better in a particular set up, I can learn the skill more easily and more quickly. Once a skill is learned, it is easier to transfer it to any skate set-up.
I'm with ya there. Just have to have the Laces, Truck Adjustments, Cushion Hardness, and Wheel Traction - "Just Right" to do most everything I can still do.

At 70, all the Fun Stuff is a bit more challenging to do.

Keep plugging away young lady.

Harold