S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old January 12th, 2017, 12:53 AM   #1
BlondeWitch
4PairsCustomSkates=Broke

Default A plate similar to Roll Line Dance?

Does anyone know of a plate that has a low center of gravity similar to the Roll Line Dance plate?

I've been trying to learn roller dance (for session) and am having trouble keeping myself stable and also not roll while trying to basically dance in place. I've tested out dancing on my Atlas plate and my Variant M plate. I've also tried softer wheels, down to 95A.

I don't want to go to a wider wheel because I still want to be able to do one-foot spins.

So, when it wasn't working out great on those two plates, I decided to try using my Roll Line Dance plate and it is pretty good! The only problem is that I do not want to use my dance skate and constantly be changing wheels and toe stops.

My Variant M plate is on my session skate right now, on a Riedell 336 (I couldn't fit another skate set up in my signature below haha). I can't afford to replace the Variant plate with a Roll Line dance plate so I was wondering if anybody would know of another plate I could look at that would be similar and not as expensive.

I believe it is the lower center of gravity on the dance plate that is making the difference. I can't remember all the truck angles, I think mine are all 15 degrees, but I don't think that is a factor here.

Last edited by BlondeWitch; January 12th, 2017 at 06:52 AM. Reason: added info
BlondeWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #2
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeWitch View Post
Does anyone know of a plate that has a low center of gravity similar to the Roll Line Dance plate?

I've been trying to learn roller dance (for session) and am having trouble keeping myself stable and also not roll while trying to basically dance in place. I've tested out dancing on my Atlas plate and my Variant M plate. I've also tried softer wheels, down to 95A.

I don't want to go to a wider wheel because I still want to be able to do one-foot spins.

So, when it wasn't working out great on those two plates, I decided to try using my Roll Line Dance plate and it is pretty good! The only problem is that I do not want to use my dance skate and constantly be changing wheels and toe stops.

My Variant M plate is on my session skate right now, on a Riedell 336 (I couldn't fit another skate set up in my signature below haha). I can't afford to replace the Variant plate with a Roll Line dance plate so I was wondering if anybody would know of another plate I could look at that would be similar and not as expensive.

I believe it is the lower center of gravity on the dance plate that is making the difference. I can't remember all the truck angles, I think mine are all 15 degrees, but I don't think that is a factor here.
maybe another alternative is to loosen or tighten your atlas plates trucks. many world champions skated dance on them for many years.
Old January 13th, 2017, 12:29 AM   #3
larryoracing

Smile Synder Imperial or Synder Imperial Light or Synder Royal Plate

BlondeWitch,

1) You are asking a loaded question, which I donít think I have an answer for. With my little bit of information and I do own a pair of Roll Line Dance Plates, with the low center of gravity.

They are by far my most favorite plate. They are low to the ground and really flexible/movable. I could really imaging dancing/session skating on them. They are very stable plate. So, not only are they stable, they can make spinning very easy. They can make spinning very easy.

I donít know much about your other plates, so I cannot comment on them.

2) My second plate is the Roll Line Energy and that is not a stable plate or a flexible plate to give you stability you are asking for. Itís a completely different plate and has it uses not the type you are looking for. I own a pair of Roll Line Energy plates.

3) My third plate I own, is a Roll Line Ring. USskates only has one pair left in stock and I donít know what size it is. You will have to call them. I got this 3rd plate (Roll line Ring) at a very low ďblow outĒ price.

a) It is suppose to have the low CG like the dance, but it doesnít have the toe stop provision. I have not mounted up these skates yet. So, I really donít know how they skate, but I hope to mount them up next month/in a few weeks and to see if they really skate like the Roll Line Dance plate?

4) A skate I would like to build is Synder Imperial Dance Light plate. The Synder Imperial plate is the closest plate to me to a Roll Line Dance plate, but I feel the Roll Line Dance is better/more flexible and more stable. But it would be my second choice.

a) The Synder Imperial Dance Light plate, has an old fashioned very thin aluminum plate plate. A very thin plate like they made in the 40ís and 50ís. But it has the 45 degree angle trucks mounted to this thin plate to give you that very stable and flexible skating action. This plate has a bolt on toe stop if needed. I bought an old pair of Synder Deluxe Light plates with this bolt on toe stop option.

This plate can also be upgraded to the machined down Synder Royal 45 degree trucks and mounted with the titanium axels.

b) I have been thinking about this setup for a long time and hopefully some day I will build this plate. It would be the closest thing I know to the Roll Line Dance Plate.

5) The Roll Line Matrix plate is suppose to have low Center of Gravity design, but I donít have a pair of those and I know they are more expensive than the Roll Line Energy and the Roll Line Energy is more expensive than the Roll Line Dance.

6) So, the Synder Imperial Plate would be the closest to the Roll Line Dance Plate, but they are heavy. They Synder Royal would be similar, but lighter and more expensive. The Synder Imperial "light" would be great, but does not have the toe stop, although they can be found. I'm sure Synder could supply them if you really asked...lol! They have not made them in over 60 years.

Sincerely,

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 07:54 AM   #4
BlondeWitch
4PairsCustomSkates=Broke

Hi Larry,

I have not tried the Ring plate but my guess is that it is not a plate to buy when looking for stability with its 45 degree axles. I was under the impression that plate is good for loops. I already have a figure plate and I have no use for another plate without a toe stop. Also the Snyder Imperial has the same angle.

Maybe I am wrong about how the angles affect the stability. Of course adjusting trucks and cushion hardness are a factor. I thought 10 degree plates were the most stable, taking the other factors out of the equation.

Like most folks, I cant keep buying plates to try them. Unfortunately My foot is a lot bigger than most of the gals at my rink so I can't try their set ups. I just want to pick the right plate!

Let me know how those 45 degree trucks feel! I am curious.
Old January 13th, 2017, 11:14 AM   #5
rwsz

Quote:
Hi Larry,

I have not tried the Ring plate but my guess is that it is not a plate to buy when looking for stability with its 45 degree axles. I was under the impression that plate is good for loops. I already have a figure plate and I have no use for another plate without a toe stop. Also the Snyder Imperial has the same angle.

Maybe I am wrong about how the angles affect the stability. Of course adjusting trucks and cushion hardness are a factor. I thought 10 degree plates were the most stable, taking the other factors out of the equation.

Like most folks, I cant keep buying plates to try them. Unfortunately My foot is a lot bigger than most of the gals at my rink so I can't try their set ups. I just want to pick the right plate!

Let me know how those 45 degree trucks feel! I am curious.
not trying to insult u but if your feet are larger then the other ladys maybe u can try one of the mens with smaller feet.
Old January 13th, 2017, 09:04 PM   #6
BlondeWitch
4PairsCustomSkates=Broke

Haha Rick!

Good idea! I'm not insulted. I'm so in-between sizes.
In regular shoes I wear a ladies 9.

Too big for all but one of the girls and too small for the few guys at our rink.
But everybody at our club is on Roll Line or Atlas with a Snyder thrown in here or there. But all of those plates are either similar, or too expensive (Dance and Matrix)

I'm wondering if maybe one of the Sure-Grip or Powerdyne plates would be good. Also maybe a more derby-inspired plate would be made like the RL Dance.?

I should really expand my circle to session skaters. There is probably an ideal plate out there, I just have to find it.

If you hear of something like the Roll Line Dance that won't break the bank, let me know!
Old January 14th, 2017, 12:35 PM   #7
rwsz

Quote:
Haha Rick!

Good idea! I'm not insulted. I'm so in-between sizes.
In regular shoes I wear a ladies 9.

Too big for all but one of the girls and too small for the few guys at our rink.
But everybody at our club is on Roll Line or Atlas with a Snyder thrown in here or there. But all of those plates are either similar, or too expensive (Dance and Matrix)

I'm wondering if maybe one of the Sure-Grip or Powerdyne plates would be good. Also maybe a more derby-inspired plate would be made like the RL Dance.?

I should really expand my circle to session skaters. There is probably an ideal plate out there, I just have to find it.

If you hear of something like the Roll Line Dance that won't break the bank, let me know!
i dont think u will get what u want from sure grip or powerdyne plates. maybe u can get them used on facebook or ebay. for derby i would think most plates would do with the right cushions and adjustments.
Old January 15th, 2017, 02:06 AM   #8
larryoracing

Smile People talk about a DA 45???

Dear BlondWitch,

I got this feeling you are not going to find anything better than the Roll Line Dance plate

I have a set of Synder Imperials and they donít give you the stability and the feel of the Roll Line Dance but they are close

And I donít know how heavy your SP Teri boots are but the Edea Ice Fly boots are really light.

I weigh about 155 lbs and have Natural Yellow Cushions. I wonder what color cushions you are using? And your weight? I guess you are using the Natural Grey Cushions and you weight is probably around 110 lbs. I use the standard Bones 103 wheel at 62/63mm diameter.

Good luck and finding those skates. People talk about the DA 45 at 200 dollars.

Larry
Old January 16th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #9
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.

I roll the Roll-Line Dance and would not trade for any other plate.
low center of gravity, very stable and flexible.

Old January 17th, 2017, 03:53 AM   #10
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default Roll-Line Dance Plates

I've always admired the beautiful design of the dance frame, but until reading about it on the link - http://skatesus.com/ice/roller-produ...nce/#techSpecs - I did not realize how highly rated it is for use in other disciplines, i.e., rhythm, figures, derby, and hockey. It's next best uses being recreational, and jam. However it's lowest recommendation is for use in quad speed, and freestyle.

I've been on the Mistral, a freestyle plate, for over six years, and it has been an incredible upgrade to the SureGrip Classic plate on my Reidell 297 boots.
But, I don't think I'm really what one would consider to be a freestyle skater. At age 73, I don't jump anymore, but I could if I wanted to. There really isn't room for it at the rink I've been going to, anyway.

I do a lot of leg work in the middle, a few spins, a lot of figures, and moves requiring deep edges, as the Roll-Line dance claims to offer.

I might like to try the dance plates, but wonder if it would be much of an advantage for my style of skating. It sounds like it. I also wonder what would makes the Mistral a better choice for freestyle. As I'm only able to skate a couple times a month, I'm going to have to live a lot longer to justify trading the equivalent of an apple for an apple.
Old January 17th, 2017, 07:55 AM   #11
larryoracing

Default Roll line Dance will make rexing and that type of skating easier.

Dear Skateluv,

Its always hard to make a recommendation to a skater on what type of skate plate to buy.

I have a pair of Roll Line Energy Skates and they don’t have much axel or truck movement.

And from what I read the Minstral and the Energy Plate would be about the same.

So, to me the Minstral plate would ride high. You don’t feel like you are riding low on a Mintral Plate. You feel kind of high in the air. You feel like your six inches off the skating floor.

If you bought a pair of Roll Line Dance plates you would feel like your in a sport car with your ass low to the ground. And in your Mintral skates you would feel like your in a Pick Up truck or a 4 wheel drive pickup truck.

The Roll Line Dance plate would feel wobbly. From what I have read some people don’t like the wobbly plate, like the DA 45. A similar plate to the DA 45 would be the Synder Imperial plate with it’s 45 degree angle trucks. Doc even thought Synder Imperial had more truck action/wobble than the Roll Line Ring plate, which is suppose to be the same plate as the Roll Line Dance.

So, you might ask why aren’t the Roll Line Dance Plate recommended for Freestyle. If you skated fast the wobble action like on Synder Imperial or DA 45 might make you sprain an angle or something like that when you land a jump off balance or leaning or something. Because the truck action will wobble easier on a Roll Line Dance plate. But if you are just a casual skater you might find you really like that wobble action, because it makes going into a spin a lot easier. A real lot easier.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

P.S. My first skates were the Sure Grip Classic. Fine skate but not strong like a Synder Deluxe. You would bend axels on a Sure Grip Classic Skate. Synder were bullet proof.

My second pair were the Synder Imperial. I loved that wobble action in trucks. Made turning a "snap".

Third pair were the Roll Line Dance. Made the Synder Imperials seem like they didn't turn that much.

It's amazing what 45 years of roller skate engineering can do. If you like skates that turn very easily like a sports car, get a pair Roll Line Dance Skates. If you are more of drag racer and like straight line acceleration you might go to Minstral/Energy Skate. They are very stable and roll in a straight line very nicely. Most people don't like a wobbly skate for jumping, but a wobbly skate for spinning can make freestyle spinning a breeze.
Old January 17th, 2017, 11:16 AM   #12
rwsz

Larry when we first went from the atlas to the rolline energy the action was too quick and had to get use to it, very easy edges and all, i wonder if u have the wrong cushions in them for you, maybe they are too hard.
Old January 17th, 2017, 04:13 PM   #13
larryoracing

Smile Energy plate is fine for me with the urethane clear blue cushions.

Hey Rick,

I love the Roll Line Energy skate, but I like the Roll Line Dance even better. I have a hard time getting on the OB edge on the Roll Line Energy Skate, because I have a weak OB edge, but the Roll Line Dance skate makes doing the OB edge/spin a lot easier. Itís easy/easier for me to get on the OB edge/upright on the Roll Line Dance Plate.

I was a little bit worried about jumping on the Roll Line Dance plate. I have the natural yellow cushions which are suppose to be harder than the blue clear urethane cushions I have on my energy skates. If anything I could go to a softer cushion on the Energy skate but then jumping would become unstable/more wobbly.

Thatís why the Roll Line Dance Plate is not recommended for freestyle/jumping.

What I would like to go one step or two firmer on the Dance Plate, which is the firmest cushion that roll line makes for Roll Line, but then the easy edges for dance would be diminished, taking away the beauty of the plate. Again why the dance plate is not recommended for Freestyle/jumping

I would like to reiterate what I think the Energy plate was designed for. It was designed for Heel spins and not so much edge spins. It also a very beautiful skate when jumping because it is so stable/inertia jumping.

I just feel the Energy skate is a completely different skate than the Dance plate. Each has its advantages and weaknesses

I watched the Freshman girls and Sophmore girls freestyle at Nationals. All the skaters. If you watched the girls doing traveling camels OF seemed to do three turns during their traveling OF camels. Which adds to my theory of the energy skate wants to travel in a straight line and not do edges.

In the old days when people did traveling OF camels they seemed to do small loops/OF loops when traveling down the floor on a OF Camel. Now days the skater/girls seem to do three turns, travel straight, three turn, travel straight, etc, then finally spotting the spin and many times going into a heel type of spin and not a edge type of spin.

The Synder Imperial and the Roll Line Dance Plate/or Ring/Spin plate wants to do loops/small circles which is the basis for a spin. Which seems to be different type of OF Traveling camel in the old days compared to the Three Turn type of Traveling OF camel of today.

Sincerely,

Larry O and thanks for listening to me.
Old January 17th, 2017, 08:36 PM   #14
DannyBoySk8s
Style Skater

Default Great Information

Rick and Larry: I have seen many threads by loggers looking for and comparing technical information on Roll Line plates so that they would be able to make an informed decision on what plate to buy. However, it seems that after they have made their decision and purchased their plate of choice they neglect to follow up with detailed information on how the plates actually perform for them.

Thank you for comparing and contrasting the Roll Line Dance and Energy Plates and giving loggers a detailed description of the strengths and weaknesses of each plate and how they perform in real time use.

I have the Roll-Line Mistral Plate as well as the Snyder Royal 45 Ti Plate. I have been really impressed with the Mistral Plate for its versatility and stability as well as it's agility (with the right cushions) over the last 6 Years. I have used it for Indoor Session Skating, JB, Shuffle and Rhythm style as well as outside skating parades etc. The Snyder Royal DA 45 Degree Plate is much more turny and much less stable and requires a great deal more ankle and foot control. In other words there doesn't appear to be a resting point when skating the Royals the ankles are always working. I broke my ankle about 2 Years ago so was off skates for about a year physio etc. Since returning to skating I use the Mistrals exclusively the Royals are in the closet and I don't miss them at all. If I were to upgrade I would probably go to the Energy Steel.

Note Cushions : My weight is 160 Lbs and prior to breaking my ankle I was using the translucent blue upper or barrel cushions and gray conical lower cushions as this combination worked well in general application. Since breaking my ankle I now use the clear barrel upper cushions which add considerably to stability and gray lower or conical cushions for turn-ability. I do a lot of 3 Turns, Spins and Rexing but I no longer do jumps.

Cheers,

DannyBoy

Last edited by DannyBoySk8s; January 17th, 2017 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Added Information
DannyBoySk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 11:05 AM   #15
rwsz

Danny and Larry, interesting posts from both of u. my son skated wc mens from the time the energy came out till he retired. he was 6 ft tall and about 170 to 180 most of the time and used yellow cushions, he didnt have any problems with edges or stability, then again we had to get the right tightness on the truck adjustments or the edges were too quick for freestyle for him anyhow. good luck and its so different for every skater and every body type.
Old January 18th, 2017, 04:45 PM   #16
larryoracing

Smile To each their own. It's a personal choice and we are not the same.

Dear Rick and Danny,

Thank you so much for the posts. I have read many going back to 2008-2011 where many people talked about their Roll Line Skates, cushions and adjustment. I just had to buy a few pairs of Roll Lines Skates, which I have, three pairs…..Energy, Dance and Ring to make a comparison.

I really would like to buy another pair of Roll Line Dance, but maybe I can just make a cushion adjustment and tighten the trucks to use them for Freestyle. And use my “Ring” skates for Dance and Figures. We will see?

You see I like wobble or trucks that move easily and get me on edge/loop type of edge/small circle edges do my spins.

I don’t know what type of boots Danny has on his “Royal” skates. Boots can make a big difference on the wobbliness of a skate truck/truck turning action! Stiff boots dampen out a lot of the loose truck/wobble actions. Non supporting boots and the wobble of the trucks is amplified.

For Rick I think it is important to note that his son had skated on the Synder Deluxe for years?? And I don’t think there is that much difference between a Deluxe and a Energy. But I will say this, there is a big difference between a Deluxe and Imperial/Royal and there is a big difference between a Energy and the “Dance” plate

We don’t have this comparison, but it would be neat to see how Rick’s son would of compared a “Dance” plate to a “Energy” plate

I personally would love to try a Matrix plate, but personally I got this stinky feeling that I would like the Dance Plate better. The only thing different about the Matrix is the low center of gravity, but nothing is said about the difference in truck action between the Energy and the “Matrix”.

I personally would like to build a custom pair of Synder Imperial Lights (a very thin piece of aluminum on the Imperial light plate), with Titanium axels and trucks from the “Royal” plate. I would use this setup for Dance, just because I think it would be a good option for the Roll Line “Dance” plate comparison. I think the Roll Line “Dance” plate would be better for dance, but I wanted to see how close could you make a 45 degree truck action compare with the truck action of a Roll Line Dance Plate?

In conclusion I’m willing to bet 100 dollars that nobody in the World uses a Roll Line Dance Plate for Freestyle, but I have been told that World Champions in Dance have used the Roll Line Energy skate and have won!
Cheers,

Larry O and thanks for listening. It has been fun to talk about skating/skates
Old January 19th, 2017, 11:19 AM   #17
rwsz

Larry they didnt have the dance plate or ring yet so he only used the energy plates with riedell 297 boots. he used them messing around with dance but didnt do dance officially, also never took out the toe stops.

the dance skaters that won in the energy were usually in atlas plates before that and they all liked the energy plates. they were given the energy plates to test for the italians. only difference would be with what cushions they used depending on their weight. not sure at first if their were only clear cushions, cant remember lol. u have a good amount of energy plates and money to pay for them lol.
Old January 19th, 2017, 07:17 PM   #18
larryoracing

Smile In a couple weeks I will mount the Edea Roller Fly to the Ring plates.

Dear Rick,

Thanks for all the important information regarding the history of the Roll Line Energy plates.

I got a good deal on all the plates and boots I have bought. I have never skated on a Atlas plate, but some people like Gee have several sets,ÖI know he has a Atlas Dance and Atlas Figure and I know they made a Atlas Freestyle.

The boots I have bought are Edea Ice Fly and Edea Ice Concerto with a rating of 80-90 in stiffness. But since skating a lot of Dance lately and realizing I have to make big barrier lobes and weaving back and forth across the baseline of the straight away sequences I felt I needed a softer boot, so I bought the Roller Edea Fly with a stiffness around 40-50. I have not mounted this boot on the Roll Line Ring skate yet.

I have never bought a set of Bones Ceramic Bearings. So I just want to see if they are worth the money. Iím betting they are. People tell me itís not the skates and equipment, but it seems a lot of good skaters use Bones Ceramic Bearings and spare no costs on boots, plates and wheels, buying the best money can buy and getting custom fitted boots.

Personally I have been using the Bones 103A wheels for Dance and Freestyle and they seem to grip perfectly. No problems.

I want to by a set of the cheaper Roll Line Figure wheels. They are rated at 60D. I have skated on the Giotto 61D and they are just too slippery for meÖlol!

Take care,

Larry O
Old January 20th, 2017, 11:05 AM   #19
rwsz

Larry sound like good choices, i dont think u need the ceramic bones unless u are doing figures, but up to u. the regular swiss bones should be just fine, seems like they come up with bearings any better like they do wheels.
Old January 21st, 2017, 11:52 PM   #20
BlondeWitch
4PairsCustomSkates=Broke

Default Hi Larry, I use Bones Ceramics for figures and they are definitely

better than the Bones Swiss for figures. The roll is noticeably longer. However, I'm not sure you would notice a difference in any other discipline. In fact, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't so I will not be taking the time to swap bearings to give it a try lol!

I skated on Bones Super Elites 101A with a 103A slip wheel (for freestyle) for a few years. I started to feel like I needed more grip. I decided to buy my first set of Roll Line wheels. I noticed a big difference. I was actually able to slide and grip. My freestyle has gotten a lot better since.

And I also find my 61D giottos for figures to be too slippery. I would like to try the yellow wheels but I'm broke.

What I'm learning is that I may think my equipment is good until I try something that it is better. It's too expensive to keep buying things. It's not like baseball where you can just borrow someone's bat or mitt to try out!