S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old December 28th, 2016, 01:08 AM   #1
amohrfeld

Default Cushion length. Testing a theory.

After reading another thread I got the idea to try different trucks on my plates. (Thanks Doc).

The Snyder Royal trucks fit. The Advantage did not.

I think the picture can explain what I'm playing with. Both top barrel cushions are 85a. Hence the longer one will provide a softer spring force due to the length and reduced diameter.

I have skated them around my office but not at the rink. My assessment is they behave as expected. The longer cushion allows more travel. The shorter cushion bottoms out sooner, making it more stable in tight turns. The cushion cup is absolutely necessary for the softer cone cushion. Not sure about barrel yet.

There will be more tweaking once I make it to the rink.

amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 01:42 AM   #2
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
After reading another thread I got the idea to try different trucks on my plates. (Thanks Doc).

The Snyder Royal trucks fit. The Advantage did not.

I think the picture can explain what I'm playing with. Both top barrel cushions are 85a. Hence the longer one will provide a softer spring force due to the length and reduced diameter.

I have skated them around my office but not at the rink. My assessment is they behave as expected. The longer cushion allows more travel. The shorter cushion bottoms out sooner, making it more stable in tight turns. The cushion cup is absolutely necessary for the softer cone cushion. Not sure about barrel yet.

There will be more tweaking once I make it to the rink.

Are these 30 degree kingpin angle plates? I like the cushions on the right but kingpins are too short to put more below the truck. If so the banking and turning could feel a lot smoother with less cushion bind. The skates on the left will be bound up pretty fast unless you have very soft cushions. The only way to find out things is to try out your ideas and be able to analyze the results correctly. Hope the caster is good, you will know first time you hit the floor. YOU are going to get addicted!!
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 04:09 AM   #3
amohrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Are these 30 degree kingpin angle plates? I like the cushions on the right but kingpins are too short to put more below the truck.
Yup. 30 degree king pin. I would like to experiment with more cushions below. However my primitive evaluation (by hand) is that softer cones get you almost there, as long as you don't want to run really loose.
Also, the stud I'm using is a long as possible. It was almost touching the floor so I cut off 1/8"

I must recant my previous statements. Apparently I did not understand what DA45 meant. Upon measuring things it appears DA45 refers to the pivot angle and not king pin angle. Correct me if I am mistaken. What is the kingpin angle of the Avenger?

Quote:
If so the banking and turning could feel a lot smoother with less cushion bind. The skates on the left will be bound up pretty fast unless you have very soft cushions.

My thoughts too. So I guess it's less of a theory and more of trying stuff until I find what I like.

The picture is a little deceiving. The left has a cushion cup holding the cylinder. The right does not.

Binding might not be a bad thing. Remember, the left is basically a Snyder Royal. And it's fairly well respected.

Quote:
YOU are going to get addicted!!
Until my kids find another sport. Or until I figure it all out and get bored.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 11:52 AM   #4
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
Yup. 30 degree king pin. I would like to experiment with more cushions below. However my primitive evaluation (by hand) is that softer cones get you almost there, as long as you don't want to run really loose.
Also, the stud I'm using is a long as possible. It was almost touching the floor so I cut off 1/8"

I must recant my previous statements. Apparently I did not understand what DA45 meant. Upon measuring things it appears DA45 refers to the pivot angle and not king pin angle. Correct me if I am mistaken. What is the kingpin angle of the Avenger?

My thoughts too. So I guess it's less of a theory and more of trying stuff until I find what I like.

The picture is a little deceiving. The left has a cushion cup holding the cylinder. The right does not.

Binding might not be a bad thing. Remember, the left is basically a Snyder Royal. And it's fairly well respected.

Until my kids find another sport. Or until I figure it all out and get bored.

You can snug up the soft cushions and the trucks will move much easier and not be dangling loose and flopping around. But too loose of upper cushion for your weight can be an issue. Blues don't work too good(SG) when you weigh 240#.

Upon measuring things it appears DA45 refers to the pivot angle and not king pin angle. Correct me if I am mistaken. What is the kingpin angle of the Avenger?

Yes pivot angle, the same as an avenger, invader, magnum...

I have found that the less you have below the truck(or stiffer cushions instead or cups with thin rubber washers or thin cushions), the pivot angle is manipulated in a way to take away turning toward the end of the stroke. It is then lessened by the stiffness forcing the truck to move closer to the plate and changing the caster. This takes away kickback at the end of a long stroke when skating speed or being very low with long pushes. DA45 allows neat little adjustments...
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote