S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old December 21st, 2016, 04:36 PM   #1
kentek

Default What can I do now?

Bought new skates: Luigino Struts with 110mm wheels.

Love the bearing-frames and wheels. Boots, not so much.

Dealer talked me into Luigino size 11. My shoe size is 9-1/2. He said their sizing way off. Wish I had settled for size 10.

I have heat molded twice and they are still loose in the heel.
If I were designing these I would have changed where the strap crosses the instep as I think it is too low. And, there is just not enough ankle support. I have strong ankles but I feel like I have not even laced these boots.

As I have skated on these about 6X I know I can't return them. It was a good lesson on buying skates as it has been a long time since I bought my old Simmons. (BTW: I would have bought Simmons but last time I looked Simmons was only making customs. Not so any more. I will probably try a pair of the new Simmons when I can afford to buy new boots- again.)

I may even put the new frame set on my old Simmons just to see how it feels.
It is a good thing that I got these skates pretty cheap- $335 complete. So, I put the boot value at about $120.

Merry Christmas to all. Have a good Christmas skate!
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2016, 05:35 PM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

An oversized boot may never be what you want it to be, ask me how I know. At one point, I had gone through 6 different stock boots before going full custom. One was a Bont Vaypor. As people who have had Bont boots know, their sizing it way off. I'm a 10.5 US, which is about a 44.5 EU normally. So, I ordered the 44 EU Bont, which in their sizing is about a 12 US. I currently own a size 42 EU Bont Hybrid quad boot, so that's how off their sizing is.

OK, maybe custom isn't in your grasp, its not in most people's budget. But trying to get a boot that may never fit to work may be like beating a dead horse. Have you tried a little heavier sock? Don't use one that may be abrasive, like all cotton, you'll be sorry you did.

If you do decide that the Strut isn't going to work for you, I recommend the new Simmons Rush boots. At $389, they're well worth the price. Simmmons also makes a little higher end stock boots as well, the Seven9 and AC10: http://simmons-racing.com/product-ca...simmons-boots/
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2016, 06:57 PM   #3
evilzzz

An extra sole insert will help soak up some of the extra space (I have them in mine), but TBH I don't think its going to be enough from what you've described.

Boots need to be comfortably tight the first time you put them on, but not crushing your toes.
Old December 21st, 2016, 07:57 PM   #4
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

If they're loose at the heel, then you'll most likely get heel lift, even if you push through your heels. Heel lift causes blistering.

Maybe the combination of insoles, slightly thicker socks, and maybe the 2mm EZFit booties?
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2016, 08:47 PM   #5
kentek

Default One other thing

I am fairly sure that the Struts are using a straight last. Most last in every shoe I've ever worn is a curved last. Most likely, Luigino has been using lasts that are straight or semi curved.

One of the problems of the Internet world. You don't get enough information.
Old December 21st, 2016, 11:39 PM   #6
kufman

You could try using 2 or 3mm Eezfits in an attempt to make you heal and ankle bigger. I have done this many times before. I usually trim the bottom of the Eezfit so that my heal sits flat in the bottom of the boot.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:43 PM   #7
MachV

Do not order a boot by size. Sizes are all over the map. Measure your foot for length & width in millimeters. Get the boot that fits your measurements.

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2016, 01:33 PM   #8
spdkls

https://www.facebook.com/Whatsupdock...MELINE&fref=nf

My race team sells Simmons Rush. These boots are for real. Contact numbers are on the site.

I'm on Pinnacle Customs, but if i had to order a shelf boot, it would be a Rush.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 03:33 AM   #9
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentek View Post
Bought new skates: Luigino Struts with 110mm wheels.

Love the bearing-frames and wheels. Boots, not so much.

Dealer talked me into Luigino size 11. My shoe size is 9-1/2. He said their sizing way off. Wish I had settled for size 10.
I let a dealer do that to me once, I should know better but he insisted the new ones where made smaller then before.
Bottom line. My running cleats are Nike 8.5. My street shoes are mostly 9s.
The Luigino and power slide have always fit well in a 9/41. If you're a 9.5 then yes you should have gone with a 10/42.
If you're like me you will never be happy with that boot to big. Someone told me to stuff the toes with news paper, but I passed on that and got a new pair.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 07:33 AM   #10
matguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
I let a dealer do that to me once, I should know better but he insisted the new ones where made smaller then before.
Bottom line. My running cleats are Nike 8.5. My street shoes are mostly 9s.
The Luigino and power slide have always fit well in a 9/41. If you're a 9.5 then yes you should have gone with a 10/42.
If you're like me you will never be happy with that boot to big. Someone told me to stuff the toes with news paper, but I passed on that and got a new pair.
Right, it's not in front of the toes where I have had issues with a boot that's too large, it's literally everywhere else.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 04:25 PM   #11
kentek

Default Thanks guys

After giving these Struts their fair test I decided to move the new 110mm wheels and frames to my 10 year old Simmons. Wow! It was like they are custom boots. Set the frames in same position as old 100s and, voila, fast and fun!
The Struts are officially for sale @ $125 OBO.
I'm not upset with the dealer. When buying mission critical sports equipment you need to be able to test before buying. In out world of Internet marketing that is not always possible. Skate dealers are not Amazon.com. They can't eat users mistakes.

Anyway, I am going to use my new "customs" until I can afford new Simmons boots.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 11:26 PM   #12
SkateMO

This may be controversial, but in my opinion, the only mass produced stock boot you should every consider, not named Pinnacle or Simmons, is Bont. You are wasting your time with Luigino. Powerslide is ok, but still risky. Bont makes a phenomenal stock boot for the price that actually works and last. Obviously, if you can get a custom Pinnacle or Simmons, then that's the direction to go hands down. But, I've had tons of great experiences with Bont boots. Actually, I've never really had a bad experience. I've had nothing but awful experiences with Luigino. I know there are a few people that skated the old Challenge boot and loved them, but those people are few and far between. So, anytime I talk to a skater looking for a cheaper pair of stock boots and can't afford (or doesn't want to spend the money on) a custom boot, my recommendation is always Bont.

And, I'll throw a plug in for Pinnacle (and customs in general). I've had a custom Pinnacle for three years or so. I've probably skated 5000 to 7000 miles on it. It still looks almost the same today as it did three years ago. It fits great, the performance is perfect, comfort is great. If I ever want it spruced up (meaning new inner and outer skin), I can always send to Jimmy Blair for repairs. Sure, the price is a lot. You're looking at $1000+. But, in terms of the durability, the fit, the customer service aspect (if you ever need repairs), it's totally worth it. I used to be on the side of customs are a waste of money. I felt that stock boots like the Bont Z or Bont Vaypor were all you needed. However, my opinion has changed over the last three years. If you skate every day and plan to keep the boots for many years, then it's worth the extra cash to get a custom boot. I know I'm getting somewhat off track, but just my thoughts.
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 05:03 AM   #13
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateMO View Post
This may be controversial, but in my opinion,
Glad you started out this way because it is just your opinion. Me and many others have done just fine on Powerslide, Luigino and other skates.
My sons first speed skates where Bont's and not good at all for him but great for others.
The best skate for anyone is the one that fits them best. And even if customs work best for you not everyone needs them. For some folks the stock skate fits like a custom. And I know a few that have bad things to say about customs.
As they say, one mans trash is another mans treasure, and one mans treasure may be trash to another.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 02:30 PM   #14
SkateMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
Glad you started out this way because it is just your opinion. Me and many others have done just fine on Powerslide, Luigino and other skates.
My sons first speed skates where Bont's and not good at all for him but great for others.
The best skate for anyone is the one that fits them best. And even if customs work best for you not everyone needs them. For some folks the stock skate fits like a custom. And I know a few that have bad things to say about customs.
As they say, one mans trash is another mans treasure, and one mans treasure may be trash to another.
I understand. And, I wasn't trying to bash Luigino. I know the original post was in regards to having the wrong size boot. And, it probably seemed off topic to start talking about brands. But, the reason my mind went that direction is because the problem with Luigino stock boots and others is that they are very thin and even flimsy. Thus, if you don't have the absolute perfect fit, they don't work. With Bont stock boots, they are stiffer (as a whole) and there is more padding. So, even if the boot was a little big, there might still be enough support elsewhere to make it work.

Like I said, I've known people that really liked the Challenge boot. And, I've seen a few on the Powerslide Core boot. But, I've also heard a lot of people say that Luigino, Powerslide and others didn't work for them. I've very rarely heard people complain about Bont. I have no affiliation with Bont by the way. But, I've seen skaters on the Jet and Cheetah win races, some even on the national level. You just wouldn't see that on some of the other brands entry level boots. Many of the ice skaters at the local club compete and win on Bont's entry level Patriot boot. Similarly, I've seen skaters try Maple, which I believe was a Lugino boot, and give them up after a week. Never seen that with the Bont boots. So, this is just the experiences I've had and seen and certainly can't speak for everyone.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 05:00 PM   #15
evilzzz

> This may be controversial, but in my opinion, the only mass produced stock boot you should every consider, not named Pinnacle or Simmons, is Bont.

I don't agree with this at all. Even Bont's stock boot will not be suitable for everyone, because everyone's feet are different. It stands to reason that one design philosophy cannot best accomodate every different foot out there, and I know many skaters who have have struggled with Bonts (even customs) and had a far better experience with both Luigino and especially Powerslide.

I have Bont customs myself but even I will say that I have had poor experiences with their stock boots, so it really is horses for courses.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 05:53 PM   #16
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateMO View Post
I understand. And, I wasn't trying to bash Luigino. I know the original post was in regards to having the wrong size boot. And, it probably seemed off topic to start talking about brands. But, the reason my mind went that direction is because the problem with Luigino stock boots and others is that they are very thin and even flimsy. Thus, if you don't have the absolute perfect fit, they don't work. With Bont stock boots, they are stiffer (as a whole) and there is more padding. So, even if the boot was a little big, there might still be enough support elsewhere to make it work.

Like I said, I've known people that really liked the Challenge boot. And, I've seen a few on the Powerslide Core boot. But, I've also heard a lot of people say that Luigino, Powerslide and others didn't work for them. I've very rarely heard people complain about Bont. I have no affiliation with Bont by the way. But, I've seen skaters on the Jet and Cheetah win races, some even on the national level. You just wouldn't see that on some of the other brands entry level boots. Many of the ice skaters at the local club compete and win on Bont's entry level Patriot boot. Similarly, I've seen skaters try Maple, which I believe was a Lugino boot, and give them up after a week. Never seen that with the Bont boots. So, this is just the experiences I've had and seen and certainly can't speak for everyone.
For the most part I will agree with you. Bont makes the best constructed stock boots (aside from the Pinnacle and Simmons) from their high end to the low.... BUT, they don't fit everyone myself included. If you have high arches, Bonts hurt as they are very flat and skinny. I don't wear anything special in terms of shoes but on the Bont chart I have a wide foot. Luigino is wider with a little more arch but the construction is very poor. Where as a Bont fiberglass boot (lower end boots) is heavier from the additional layers needed to make it strong, a Luigno boot has the same number of layers as a carbon boot and it is just weak. Luigino leathers also like to fall off as do Powerslide.

Ok, back to the regularly scheduled skating thread.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 07:16 PM   #17
SkateMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilzzz View Post
> This may be controversial, but in my opinion, the only mass produced stock boot you should every consider, not named Pinnacle or Simmons, is Bont.

I don't agree with this at all. Even Bont's stock boot will not be suitable for everyone, because everyone's feet are different. It stands to reason that one design philosophy cannot best accomodate every different foot out there, and I know many skaters who have have struggled with Bonts (even customs) and had a far better experience with both Luigino and especially Powerslide.

I have Bont customs myself but even I will say that I have had poor experiences with their stock boots, so it really is horses for courses.
Interesting. I'm not surprised to hear that some skaters struggled with Bont boots, but rather, surprised to hear they had much better experiences with Luigino. I don't know enough about Powerslide. From the handful of Powerslide boots I've tried on, I think they are better. I just don't see much good in the Luigino boots. I think the original Challenge boots were nice, but something seemed to go wrong after that. I remember trying a pair of the Challenges on at Northshore and being amazed by how snug they fit my foot. I was really impressed. A year or so later, I got a pair and had a totally different impression. A year or two after that, I bought a pair of Bolts, which were top-of-the-line. They didn't fit well and looked and felt cheap. I tried a pair of maple long track boots...same experience. So, I've just never had any luck.

I wonder if there is much difference between brands depending on what section of the world you live in...that may sound strange, but just curious if the Powerslide boots being sold in Europe are the same quality / construction we get in the USA. Same with Luigino. I'm guessing it's all the same, but just something that came to mind.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 09:10 PM   #18
MachV

The best boot is the one that fits YOUR feet regardless of manufacturer.

Old January 4th, 2017, 12:05 AM   #19
matguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
The best boot is the one that fits YOUR feet regardless of manufacturer.
Well, as long as it's not prone to breaking or mounting bolts stripping.
Old January 4th, 2017, 03:08 AM   #20
MachV

Quote:
Originally Posted by matguy View Post
Well, as long as it's not prone to breaking or mounting bolts stripping.
That's another thread.