S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old December 14th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #1
fierocious1

Default What difference does it make?

I bought some used plates. Why have nice plates if the cushions are crushed? You dont need awsome plates if you are not going to take advantage of their properties... the axles might as well be made into the plate itself...
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2016, 04:39 AM   #2
wired

It's a puzzle to me! See it way too often, nice plate and cushions that might as well be turned of steel.

The skater will say they like them that way and are not interested in trying anything else. Maybe we could make a fortune selling adult versions of plates like these:

Mill them out of unobtanium and sell them for $800 in "custom sizes".

Old December 15th, 2016, 09:02 AM   #3
quantoo

Default i thought the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I bought some used plates. Why have nice plates if the cushions are crushed? You dont need awsome plates if you are not going to take advantage of their properties... the axles might as well be made into the plate itself...
And i consider myself an alright skater but i have been outdone by people who run cushions of steel on 10 degree plates.
They just lift front or rear axles to turn
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2016, 12:22 PM   #4
fierocious1

I bought some Bont plastic plates and they came in recently. The cushions were rough looking. The setup was like maybe cushions were not needed. The plates themselves were surprisingly stiff. I liked the aluminum kingpins though. They are light in weight. Cushions in most skates are way too hard for me to use. I like banking hard and standard skate plates just don't turn like that and neither will these. I'l modify these somewhat and put them on a boot. SZ12 of course, why build them if you can't skate them? I guess if someone wants to drag stiff plates through a turn they can. Going to take a look into their kingpins though. They are a little fat in size(>3/8").
Old December 31st, 2016, 04:25 AM   #5
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
I bought some Bont plastic plates and they came in recently. The cushions were rough looking.
Yeah, they're ok but can be a little ragged looking. The cushions from the Boiani RK fit if you open the hole up a little.
Old January 16th, 2017, 01:46 AM   #6
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
Yeah, they're ok but can be a little ragged looking. The cushions from the Boiani RK fit if you open the hole up a little.
Got some used RS 1000 boots that needs plates, going to put them on. Make someone a lightweight intermediate pair of skates. Might get some new cushions during build. I like the stiffness of these plates but I still don't think they would be hard enough for my taste. I can still twist them by hand.
Old January 16th, 2017, 11:03 PM   #7
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Got some used RS 1000 boots that needs plates, going to put them on. Make someone a lightweight intermediate pair of skates. Might get some new cushions during build. I like the stiffness of these plates but I still don't think they would be hard enough for my taste. I can still twist them by hand.
I have a pair of the NTS version that I've had since just before they came out. Only reason I haven't mounted them yet is 8mm axles. Bont came out with some soft 75a cushions for them some time ago, and they help a lot. I'll get to them eventually.

Put them on a Bont Carbon and you won't have to worry about any twisting.
Old January 17th, 2017, 12:41 AM   #8
fierocious1

Quote:
I have a pair of the NTS version that I've had since just before they came out. Only reason I haven't mounted them yet is 8mm axles. Bont came out with some soft 75a cushions for them some time ago, and they help a lot. I'll get to them eventually.

Put them on a Bont Carbon and you won't have to worry about any twisting.
I may get around to trying a hard plastic plate on inline boots. My setup is extremely stiff, you feel every crack and know where your feet are going in an instant. You mess up and they let you know about it. Very precise in steering. Plastic plates may just work like the plates I'm using. I did notice that the SSTs were very stiff as well. The inline boots I'm using fit me so well that slop is totally eliminated. Never had any boots fit that well. May have to find a good stiff DA45 plastic plate..... Don't let 8mm hold you back...
Old February 27th, 2017, 12:31 PM   #9
fierocious1

Default Yesterday at the rink

I was stopped by a woman and she asked why her skated slipped as she had heard that this floor was really sticky.... Sketchers........
Old February 27th, 2017, 02:43 PM   #10
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Old February 27th, 2017, 03:18 PM   #11
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
It's a puzzle to me! See it way too often, nice plate and cushions that might as well be turned of steel.

The skater will say they like them that way and are not interested in trying anything else. Maybe we could make a fortune selling adult versions of plates like these:

Mill them out of unobtanium and sell them for $800 in "custom sizes".

I have seen rink rental racks full of this action... up to 13s..

Old February 27th, 2017, 03:37 PM   #12
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
I have seen rink rental racks full of this action... up to 13s..
And I thought you had to go to (NYC, Paris, Moscow or insert other legendary "rude" city) to find business owners that hate their customers that much!

A girl across the street had been attempting to skate Jr derby on fixed action skates. The look on her face when she first skated a pair of my daughter's old skates was priceless. She had assumed she was doing something wrong. Surprise then huge grin!

Old February 27th, 2017, 03:58 PM   #13
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
And I thought you had to go to (NYC, Paris, Moscow or insert other legendary "rude" city) to find business owners that hate their customers that much!

A girl across the street had been attempting to skate Jr derby on fixed action skates. The look on her face when she first skated a pair of my daughter's old skates was priceless. She had assumed she was doing something wrong. Surprise then huge grin!

She was, she was using the wrong sk8s...
Old February 27th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #14
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
She was, she was using the wrong sk8s...
Yep, but at that age she didn't have much choice. On the other one would hope hand rink owners had at least skated and had a clue.

It is amazing how many take "common wisdom" to be the truth without doing any investigation. In my experience most reject cushion changes on the basis of "that is how I skate". Some I have convinced to make changes did it wrong and went to the softest cushions immediately, against advise, and hated the results. Well DUH! Unfortunately they are the ones most likely to share their experience, because of course they "know it all".

OTOH the ones that did it correctly, working their way soft over months, have been amazed at the improvement in their skating. One teen I see skating regularly is on her third set of cushions and loves the responsiveness. True glee as the possibilities open as her style morphs to more fluid movement and control.

Your guidance on the procedure of skating at the smooth side of wobble as you step down through tension and cushion hardness let me know it was something worth trying and not a fast set it and forget it choice/adjustment. It was more expensive back in my Roll-Line days...

Old February 27th, 2017, 06:56 PM   #15
Luv2roll

Default Enjoyed it!

I am still laughing at the pic of skate wired put on thread because that could've been me a short while ago. That's why it's so important for you guys to be there to help the ones who just don't have a clue about even the small things that can make rolling a much better experience. I'm grateful that I had skate friends before I started but even with that being said, some of them have never done anything to their skate except adjust the kingpin because after I started reading the forum, I asked around. I'm one who never did a thing except try 2 learn to roll. You guys have opened up a whole new side of rolling for me & I always look forward to getting a chance to read the knowledge I'm sure people like me can be nerve wrecking at times (Newbies) & we hope you look past that & keep up the great help you so tirelessly give
Luv2roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 02:42 AM   #16
fierocious1

Default There are many here

That have seen people argue forever about "what they know" and sometimes it is exactly the opposite of facts. So extra measures have to be taken to educate them.
But you would be surprised at the amount of people that just can't make the transition in their mind to accept that things have changed since we were young and the possibilities of improvement were so limited.
Back then I skated what I could afford from my allowance to skate on, I didn't know crapola about skates.
There is a guy at one of the rinks I go to skating on a medium grip floor, on old old wheels. Glazed and slippery, skates backwards and wonders why he keeps running over all the little kids on Friday nights. I would have trashed those wheels years ago. Keeps asking me what I would do, I tell him and he shows up week after week on the same stuff....

You cannot help people that don't want help..
Old March 1st, 2017, 01:32 AM   #17
fierocious1

Default There should be

a minimum standard for what you could call a working production skate to sell to the public. Doc's and many others confidently exceed any minimum. It just sucks that so many people get started off with garbage only to be disappointed and quit before they ever really get anywhere with skating.
Old March 1st, 2017, 02:33 AM   #18
Luv2roll

I can see that happening.
Luv2roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 02:50 AM   #19
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2roll View Post
I can see that happening.
It happens a lot. I build a lot of people their second pair of skates.
Old March 1st, 2017, 04:45 AM   #20
HeBeGB

Quote:
It happens a lot. I build a lot of people their second pair of skates.
+1
I also make the bricks that they buy ... work. Sometimes it is as simple as putting them on the right cushions to let them know what skates *should* do.