S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old January 1st, 2017, 08:49 AM   #41
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

That looks bad ass. Waiting to hear how they roll!
Old January 1st, 2017, 12:01 PM   #42
quantoo

Default cant wait

will they be your favorite skates?
or will the trusty magnums edge them out?
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 02:47 PM   #43
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
will they be your favorite skates?
or will the trusty magnums edge them out?
LOL, the dimensions are taken from the White Magnums, which were modified several years ago. Milled down the cushion bases, trimmed off excess metal, buffed off sharp edges and polishing off excess material in all areas that could be reached. The issue I had with the White Magnums was that I could not install the single rear mounting bolt because the web(verticle runner) at the rear part of the plate was so narrow. In the front of the plate the web is much thicker and drilling the hole did not hurt the strength. So new plates were in order and I still have room to trim off and drill out metal on these. I can radius the ends and bevel around the pivot cups. I can drill in a couple more places on the frame. I could 45 degree bevel a lot of the frame's 90 degree edges/corners. I could slightly upsize the holes. I could later go to aluminum kingpins, kinda scared of that move though. Run an even shorter top boot and ligher boot, but Powerslides fit me pretty good. Smaller laces Go to Scotts wide PHANTOMS! Smaller bearings. Lose the nut.... ooooppps got flips again... THANKS MORT!!!!! You DA MAN!
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 10:55 PM   #44
quantoo

Default alluminium

The ally king pins i did want .But if the qualitys not there and i end up with putty grade aluminium iwill surely break them.
I want titanium kingpins .but the cost isnt worth it for me .
+ youve built a plate that will be more comfortable than a hard magnesium.
I think you will notice a feedback difference.
how can you go wrong ,lighter ,same or better action and better feed back.
Even docs frankenplates are milled from high grade ally.{he cant say enough good about those}
Im interested to know how good those fibre boots are on quads.
Old January 1st, 2017, 11:11 PM   #45
quantoo

Default +1 was one of the first customers with the faulty ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Ancient history. The match plate defect that caused this problem @ the foundry was not caught until the first 21st century run of trucks was well underway. Any of the round hole trucks will have the issue to some degree..

I have three pair of Avengers here, two pair I roll and one pair my wife rolls. All three pair sit flat, just fine. I know, I just went out to the shop and checked.
How can that be?? They all have the later oval hole trucks.

Take my word for it... Don't make me waste my time taking pix.

BTW folks... This pathetic cob job of a plate has attracted some... uh... shall I say sincere flatterers?? The trucks from the 45 Chaya Shiva are a drop on if you use the Chaya Barrel and retainer, which means they should retrofit any SG SA plate. Too bad the MSRP for a set of these lovely forged 8mm flip axle trucks is 198.00 plus shipping.

Soon as I get my hands on a Roller Derby Elite Axis, I will check out the interchangeability there as well...

@ Mort. The earliest patent I have located so far for the "Arius" style action is 307826 Nov 11 1884.

And thanks doc for helping sort that all out .Those first gen silver 45da silver trucks work just fine under the riveted hanger wallabys.
And it was sorted out by steve and youself without hassle.
Im very happy with the black 45da kit on the white magnums.
they dont sit crooked on the table
Old January 1st, 2017, 11:31 PM   #46
quantoo

Default Sooooo your magnums are size 7 also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post

Not finished, but usable. Still need to deflash and buff down extra metal. Polish the aluminum some. Not going to paint or powdercoat.

My shaved and cut down white magnum plates. No kingpins, just bare plates, 7 3/4" axle centerline.

Quad Conversion plate for mounting on 195mm inline boots. SG DA45 configuration. 8"+ axle centerline. Still have a little weight to lose but not much. Possibly 4 more holes to drill out. I thought that slots would weaken the frame too much and decided to drill holes instead. Holes leave bracing behind to help keep the frame rigid, slots do not. So the holes are fairly large. Anyway the frame is aluminum. Hope to test them Sunday and get my skate legs back. Foot is good to go now and I am ready to get back on my wheels. Set up will be with Green Shamans, some shimming required I imagine once I get there but not much, as the caster is set up for slower turning to start with so I can work up to what I like. CAN'T wait!

To tomorrow cleaning and deburring and locktite in the kingpins.

Couple more pics.

195mm mounting holes line up.

lined up with boot on top of the plate.

Closer look with candy spacer..
What size us is the boot your using and could you mount a plate like that any further forward?5mm perhaps?Because i see the boot dictates where the mounting bolts are on the plate. And if the rear bolt gets moved much furher back on the plate it will start to intrude on the pivot cup.
Old January 1st, 2017, 11:53 PM   #47
fierocious1

Quote:
The ally king pins i did want .But if the qualitys not there and i end up with putty grade aluminium iwill surely break them.
I want titanium kingpins .but the cost isnt worth it for me .
+ youve built a plate that will be more comfortable than a hard magnesium.
I think you will notice a feedback difference.
how can you go wrong ,lighter ,same or better action and better feed back.
Even docs frankenplates are milled from high grade ally.{he cant say enough good about those}
Im interested to know how good those fibre boots are on quads.
The boots are new. First skated on them today. Fit like a glove, way better than the R4s. Zero issues with the boot. Found I needed a little more bias to the inside on the left foot so I removed the front truck and shifted the plate! Problem solved. No restricted movement on my end. The boots make the plates respond without my feet moving around inside them, responding accurately is the only way I can put it. The R4s were good but the R2s actually give me more freedom on top (not restricted much on the R4s) and R2s just fit me better. They ARE my best skates now.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:01 AM   #48
fierocious1

Quote:
What size us is the boot your using and could you mount a plate like that any further forward?5mm perhaps?Because i see the boot dictates where the mounting bolts are on the plate. And if the rear bolt gets moved much furher back on the plate it will start to intrude on the pivot cup.
I designed this plate to be just @ interference with pivot cup. Very tight fit. The plate was designed to just fit the boot's mounting. If I gave more clearance the WB would have been at least 10mm longer. This would have put the axle cl over the ~8 + dimension. I hit my target axle cl. Also hit axle placement target! This evenings skate session was awesome and the results were on target. With a DA45 and with caster adjustments, the axle cl can grow or shrink depending on where you start at.

Boot is a 46.

Awesome observation by the way. You planning on building some too? I have app 8 hrs in this one pair not including making fixtures and setting up 4 machines to do it.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:52 AM   #49
fierocious1

Default Results

NOT disappointed at all. The length I wanted and placement of axles where I wanted them. Boots fit perfectly, no rub, no blistering(brand new boot). Took me about and hour to get my stuff back together after being off skate for so long. But as I was getting it together, I was also making adjustments and tuning. Ended up changing one pair of coned cushions. I need to shim up just one shim on the rear trucks or play with rear cushions. They skate fine as is.

The floor has been re coated and super sticky! So disappointed that I could not be in good enough shape to take advantage of it. Protecting my foot has been a priority or I might not have gotten to skate again. I did now want to screw that up. Champions was not crowded and I could have cranked up the speed but not a wise thing to do an hour after getting back on your wheels on fresh skates. Wished I had 98as today!

Like a long frame and it works for me.

Anyway, if anyone has the capabilities, take your time and plan out your plates if you so desire. Plan each step carefully. I could have converted plates as before but not in DA45. There just don't seem to be any in my preferred length, so it was necessary for me to make them to fill the void. I had not used these machines very much and had to learn each machine and figure the process out too. Making just two plates from bar is not a small undertaking, so beware, be aware and be good on your math. Layout and mark your parts for reference(not for actual) points in case you count incorrectly when dialing in your next co-ordinate. It can save you from ruining a good piece. I can make things with machines but I am by no means a "machinist".

If you are going to use inline skate boots, make sure they have slots from side to side, front and rear slots so the boots can be moved if needed to change offset(prevent what happened to me from happening to you). Totally worth it for the conversion. CF boots can get stupid high in price and this was the best way to go for me(yeah I'm cheap). These boots were $179+shipping. I knew from skating the R4s that I had a really good chance that the same foot beds were being used after looking at all the Powerslide R2 and R4 photos. Very happy with fit and especially the air vents in the boots. Nice cool skating feet.

So far I have learned that there is no excuse for planning something well before you start on it. You will still see things or find things you missed. Adapt and overcome if you can. The length of the mounting hole for the boots were fine on my previous plates, but were much tighter in these plates. The difference was caught later but it turned out OK. Just a very close fit from the delrin pivot cup to the head of the metric allen bolts mounting the boot on the plate. It works and is not an issue but it was something I just missed it, but it was a small issue not a project killer. My wife got the flips back for Christmas and that was a big help today as well. All my wheels sit flat on the floor.

My best so far. Next.... mag plates.... ??? Or Squishmeter... got a third design on that now..

P.S. This New Year started off extremely well for me. Hope everyone has a Happy New Years day as I have.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 03:04 AM   #50
quantoo

Default i had a negative thought

because the frames of inlines pressure comes almost straight up.
would those narrow quad frames dig into the fibre sole because of side to side pressure?
yep i was considering lightweight turny setup
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:24 PM   #51
fierocious1

Quote:
because the frames of inlines pressure comes almost straight up.
would those narrow quad frames dig into the fibre sole because of side to side pressure?
yep i was considering lightweight turny setup
I have ran the inline boots on quad plates for almost a year with no issues. I would say that if you run loose suspension in the first place, it would not be an issue. Now if it were a rock hard setup(metal cushions), the possibility of damaging the boots would go up. But my setup is with softer cushions so all is good. I don't know just how much the boots can take but the pressure in inlines is not totally just vertical. The stress is concentrated in a smaller area on inline boots, so far I haven't seen any cracking or found looseness in the mounting areas. If the cushion setup is hard, that would be another test to failure.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:50 PM   #52
quantoo

Default Good

if the boots start showing damage your series 2 plates could be milled from a peice 3/4" wider with small pads to spread the load. I know it would take a lot longer to thin down the plate every where else except where the pads are.
I thought of making a pair of plates totally by hand apart from the electric drill.
I havent got a mill but i have hacksaw will cut.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 03:48 PM   #53
fierocious1

Quote:
if the boots start showing damage your series 2 plates could be milled from a peice 3/4" wider with small pads to spread the load. I know it would take a lot longer to thin down the plate every where else except where the pads are.
I thought of making a pair of plates totally by hand apart from the electric drill.
I havent got a mill but i have hacksaw will cut.
Your angles and lines would have to be very accurate but it could be done with a small bandsaw, some files, a drill press and very accurate layout on each piece.
Milling the plates from wider material and making small flanges to spread the load would not be a problem. My fixtures would accept them too.

I have looked at the wear markings on the old White Magnums from using the inline boots on them and the plates do show wear spread out, so there is flexing of the bottom of the boots. No doubt there is less area to support the forces put on the boots. This is part of this prototype plates job, to show me the boots can handle it. If these can, most boots should be able to also.

Only thing is I will not know how much extra force could be put on them by using harder suspension. Basically this testing is for a speed plate or session plate that is about skating for exercise indoors, no jumping. Jumping can amplify the forces put on the boots from feedback from the plates. For jumps and rough skating I would not use these boots at all.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 03:10 AM   #54
fierocious1

Default Final Changes

Put extension tubes on the kingpins to make adjustments of the kingpin nuts easier, don't haveto use a deep socket.
Swapped out two cushions.
Will shim rear trucks with one pair of thin shims.
Some more holes and slots to be machined into the plates.
Some polishing work to do in the end.
Pretty much done though. I didn't have any foot soreness from unused new boots. So the project wraps up now and these are little changes that will come, it will be over a longer period of time.

I have a couple of other projects to get on with. Improving the plate analyzer a bit more. Also I will be machining the squishometer out soon too.

Last edited by fierocious1; January 9th, 2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 11:52 AM   #55
Rossman76

Looks pretty freaking awesome buddy!
Rossman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 11:52 AM   #56
Rossman76

...I'd mirror polish the hell outa those plates,and done!
Rossman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2017, 12:17 PM   #57
quantoo

Talking gotta love that word

Squishometer.lol
pronounced either way. shish o meter
Old January 8th, 2017, 02:32 AM   #58
fierocious1

Default Second session on these.

Everything is working as planned. Axle placement and length is what I was looking for. Works well with my boots, no rubs, no binding and no instability. Tonight I have been loosening up the trucks more(getting back in the groove after being off so long) and was hunting traction on the Lufkin rink floor. It is always the same, medium grip no matter what wheel you use. And it was cold tonight. Anyway all is good and worth all the trouble to make the plates. I think I need a rotary table to make the next plates. Make it much easier to machine and with less operations. No cushion changes tonight, working fine. Looking forward to hitting Champions again next Sunday. Ready for a tight floor and hard leaning in the turns again. Got a cold this weekend so I skated and got in a couple of good medium speed laps just not wide open, no energy for that today.
These are my best skates so far. I just got to get back into shape..
BTW, foot is good to go now. No issues, glad I took the time off.
I hope everyone has had a great beginning of the new year. I have!
Old January 9th, 2017, 11:51 AM   #59
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

Hmmm, I don't see any of the pics??
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 07:48 AM   #60
HeBeGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanJet8 View Post
Hmmm, I don't see any of the pics??
Neither do I