S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old December 7th, 2016, 04:32 AM   #1
Gee

Default Fiberglass wheels

I have seen some 32mm and 38mm fiberglass wheels. They are reportedly very slippery. I was thinking about getting a set of these wheels for doing all sorts of sliding tricks. Have anyone tried fiberglass wheels? What was your experience?
Old December 7th, 2016, 03:22 PM   #2
scottishrob
Church of SK8IN'

Default FUN!!!!

I skate a set of Sure Grip 32mm fiberglass wheels on my OG boots and plates. Sliding is a blast. And as long as you are not trying to drag race, they are quite skateable for rhythm and roll lines. I also have some sets from SK8Fanatics. They custom make theirs and will cut them to just about any size. My 60mm set will slide about 110-120' at full speed. They're not for every night for me, but insanely fun once or twice a month. Best of luck.
scottishrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2016, 09:23 PM   #3
jotson

Saw someone at skating with very small fiberglass wheels - probably like scottishrob's wheels. He did plenty of slide tricks, but could almost keep up with the pack. Definitely fun to watch.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2016, 02:55 AM   #4
amohrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrob View Post
I skate a set of Sure Grip 32mm fiberglass wheels on my OG boots and plates. Sliding is a blast. And as long as you are not trying to drag race, they are quite skateable for rhythm and roll lines. I also have some sets from SK8Fanatics. They custom make theirs and will cut them to just about any size. My 60mm set will slide about 110-120' at full speed. They're not for every night for me, but insanely fun once or twice a month. Best of luck.
Which one do you prefer? The sure grip or SK8Fanatics?
I saw a guy skate these and it looked fun. I want to try it some time.
amohrfeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2016, 02:14 PM   #5
scottishrob
Church of SK8IN'

Default FUN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
Which one do you prefer? The sure grip or SK8Fanatics?
I saw a guy skate these and it looked fun. I want to try it some time.
I prefer the SK8Fanatics, but not for any real performance reasons. There are several color options from them, where the Sure Grips only come in brown. There are logos on the Sure Grips, not my style. And a big reason, I prefer to support small business. And SK8Fanatics has been a locally owned and operated shop for a long time. And a side note, you can get the SK8Fanatics in loose ball for the supreme OG look.
Old December 10th, 2016, 12:46 AM   #6
Gee

I do like that the SK8Fanatics ones come in precision.
Old December 10th, 2016, 02:09 AM   #7
amohrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrob View Post
I'm really curious: Why do the 60mm slide further? Is it because you can go faster to begin with?
amohrfeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2016, 02:54 PM   #8
scottishrob
Church of SK8IN'

Default Further

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
I'm really curious: Why do the 60mm slide further? Is it because you can go faster to begin with?
Yes, that is one of the reasons. But also, and I'm sure several people on here will give you a long drawn out technical reason plagiarized from a text book or website, because the additional width. You spread your weight over a larger surface, like those furniture moving sliding pads. My large fiberglass wheels are 60mmx42mm. But I do prefer the small, micro style. More for looks than performance.
Old December 30th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #9
diagetus

I have not tried them myself, but I have skated L.A. and Ohio sessions -where those wheels are probably most prevalent in the style skate. Fiberglass and "Stones" do seem to provide the most lateral slide from what I have seen and heard. I have also seen nice slide work done with Sure Grip's vanathanes (mostly NY/NJ skaters).

Just a word of caution on the lathe work - if you specify an aggressive lathe on a fiber, you run the risk of breaking the wheel in half. The wheels are lathed down partly for aesthetics. A big wheel on a small Stacey biscuit can look kind of odd.

Not sure if you are adhering to some sort of dance skate from L.A., but there is this tendency to have an occasional foot stomp. It's like added percussion for the song. Well, I have seen this result in split wheels. Open precision can be a concern because the bearings can spill out.

If you have not tried Fomacs, they can also make for an excellent sliding wheel. I have seen more than a few Detroit skaters pull off fancy moves with this wheel.

Hope this helps!