S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old November 27th, 2016, 01:24 PM   #1
Derrick

Default Joining the speed team

I'm not thinking about competing or anything. But a guy from adult night increased his form A LOT by joining. I was impressed with the good instruction he got. I'm free sunday morning so I thought I'd join up. WTH there's a four hour session right after anyway.
Old November 27th, 2016, 05:49 PM   #2
kufman

Which rink are you skating at?
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2016, 11:03 PM   #3
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Which rink are you skating at?
Roller Dome North. Fort Wayne, IN. I think they do pretty well at the meets. The coaches son won nationals in his division. But I don't know what the divisions are yet.

They have a meet then no practice til January. So I'm practicing in my own til then. But it was really fun. Running on my toe stops is new.

I'm the slowest (and oldest) one on the team, but that's ok, thwt's why I joined to kick it up. Hopefully, more thsn a notch.
Old November 28th, 2016, 04:49 PM   #4
kufman

Do they still have the neon lights over the floor in that rink? Meets there used to be fun even though the floor is tiny
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 05:27 PM   #5
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Do they still have the neon lights over the floor in that rink? Meets there used to be fun even though the floor is tiny
Yes, they have the same lighting. It's a great rink. They know when to be strict at a session and when to lay off.
Old November 29th, 2016, 04:52 AM   #6
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

Roller Dome had a huge team a few years ago. I haven't seen them in our league lately.
Other real good teams in your area would be Bells in New Haven, and Anderson Speed team in Anderson. Bells has a skater currently on the World Team. Anderson is coached by Cecil Hickson. He has years of knowledge and is one of the best quad speed skaters to come out of Indiana. He formerly coached at the Dome.
You will be happy at the Dome with Brian, but you do have options.
Old November 29th, 2016, 06:14 AM   #7
tucker16
Quads are my hotrods

We have skated on both Rollerdome and Bells. Both have good coaches, That being said if you are looking to have fun and do some grassroots (rookie type meets) Rollerdome has plenty of that. The dome hasn't participated in any usar sanctioned meets in the last couple seasons and the team is smaller which would be helpful for a new skater. Bells is pretty much all usar competition currently and have a lot of talent on the team . Anderson is a mix of both grassroots and usar competition and is now coached by Jay and Kevin . They have been known as a quad team but are venturing into inlines and have some very competitive skaters . What ever the choice all have something to offer.
tucker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 01:29 PM   #8
Gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
I'm not thinking about competing or anything. But a guy from adult night increased his form A LOT by joining. I was impressed with the good instruction he got. I'm free sunday morning so I thought I'd join up. WTH there's a four hour session right after anyway.
Sounds like a great idea. I am thinking about doing the same at Kendall Park. They have both a speed and artistic clubs, I may join both.
Old November 30th, 2016, 03:27 PM   #9
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
Sounds like a great idea. I am thinking about doing the same at Kendall Park. They have both a speed and artistic clubs, I may join both.
I'm looking to just get my speed up and hang with the adult skaters. I always feel my skating improves if my average speed is up.
Old November 30th, 2016, 09:50 PM   #10
Gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
I'm looking to just get my speed up and hang with the adult skaters. I always feel my skating improves if my average speed is up.
I think the trick to shuffle skating fast is to use shorter pushes so you may do quicker pushes to build up speed.
Old December 1st, 2016, 03:59 AM   #11
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnslow View Post
Roller Dome had a huge team a few years ago. I haven't seen them in our league lately.
Other real good teams in your area would be Bells in New Haven, and Anderson Speed team in Anderson. Bells has a skater currently on the World Team. Anderson is coached by Cecil Hickson. He has years of knowledge and is one of the best quad speed skaters to come out of Indiana. He formerly coached at the Dome.
You will be happy at the Dome with Brian, but you do have options.
I'm sorry, Cecil is at Auburn, not Anderson. It must have been late when I posted that previously.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 03:38 AM   #12
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
I think the trick to shuffle skating fast is to use shorter pushes so you may do quicker pushes to build up speed.
What I'm learning is to get speed: squat down so you get long hard pushes to the side. You do quicker strokes in the corner on quads. But still long hard pushes. The longer the harder the faster. At least I think that is what they are teaching me, they will correct me (and make me plank for three minutes) if I misunderstood.