S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old November 3rd, 2016, 06:59 PM   #1
Tuesday Girl

Default Recommendations for quality wrist guards for session skatin

After nine years of nearly weekly sessions at the rink, my luck finally ran out and I fell while jam skating and broke my wrist. As I sit here with the splint that the doctor put on yesterday, and maybe a cast next week,I am thinking I may now have to finally succumb to wearing wrist guards at skating. I think they are ugly. Yes I'm a fussy girl, so I will most likely start designing and sewing sparkly wrist guard covers like I have done for my skate boots! What is a good brand and comfortable wrist guards for ladies?
Old November 3rd, 2016, 10:12 PM   #2
jotson

Sorry about your wrist. It's too bad we have to learn the hard way - I started wearing them after a sprain and over 8 months of feeling it. I just use some of the smallest Triple 8 slip on guards, in fact, they don't even sell them any more. Not the best of protection, but it's all session skating, and it's better than nothing

I did buy some of the well rated Pro Designed guards, but I think they are too large and cumbersome, so I still use the Tripe 8's. Pro Designed does have a number of fancy designs available if you are interested. Your first concern will be to allow it to repair as best as possible. Hope it goes well.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2016, 03:01 AM   #3
Kassus

187, hands-down. They've saved my wrists from getting broken close to a dozen times. I ate the floor a couple of months ago fast shuffle skating with a friend right by the wall and hit so hard that I didn't know up from down for a good minute. The impact was so hard that while my wrists hurt for a few days, they were otherwise fine. If I'd not had the guards, I would have broken both for sure. I wear them, my daughter wears them, my aunt wears them, and (after fracturing her wrist) one of my skating friends wears them.

Warning.. they're not pretty, and they're not girly. They're utilitarian, but I imagine if you're creative enough, you'll come up with something. I get teased often at the rink because of this. My skates don't "coordinate" or "go" with anything and I could care less. I'm more interested in performance than aesthetics.
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2016, 04:22 AM   #4
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Default ditto on 187 wrist guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassus View Post
187, hands-down. They've saved my wrists from getting broken close to a dozen times.
I've used the 888 guards and they are OK, but I replaced them with the 187s and they are easy on and easy off while offering a measure of protection. No wrist guard will guarantee you will not break a wrist. But it definitely improves your survival in the event of a crash & burn.

Now if I get on the floor without the 187s, I feel almost naked. Remember: pad whatever you don't want to break. It will definitely help you to ----

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2016, 05:14 AM   #5
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Girl View Post
After nine years of nearly weekly sessions at the rink, my luck finally ran out and I fell while jam skating and broke my wrist. As I sit here with the splint that the doctor put on yesterday, and maybe a cast next week,I am thinking I may now have to finally succumb to wearing wrist guards at skating. I think they are ugly. Yes I'm a fussy girl, so I will most likely start designing and sewing sparkly wrist guard covers like I have done for my skate boots! What is a good brand and comfortable wrist guards for ladies?
Sorry you broke your wrist, and hopefully no surgery is required.

I broke my left wrist from an awkward twisting outdoor fall going rearward.
I was wearing a double splinted sandwich style wrist guards, with double velcro cinch straps but a bone still cracked from the outer side edge of wrist hitting the asphalt.

If you don't want to "succumb" to breaking a wrist again in the future, I advise making maximum wrist protection your number one priority for whatever you purchase. Typically the least ugly wrist guards will also be offering you the least serious protection.

There are two factors main that come into play when you fall and land on your wrist(s):
1) floor impacts that touch a bone with high amount of shock load force
2) Hyperflexing of the wrist to a level where the bending force concentrates at the flex point and breaks a bone(s)

Having a stiff plastic piece on only the palm side is OK for basic forward fall impacts, but for worse kinds of falls you need two hard shell plastic pieces sandwiched at back and front of the wrist and pulled tight toward each other.
Their length should allow them to come up above the wrist for a few inches onto the lower arm bones, to prevent hyperextension of the wrist and to spread the forces away from weaker wrist bones, onto the stronger adjacent lower arm bones.

Anything less than this kind of a design means you are exposing yourself to higher levels of risk for another break to happen. Falls may be rare, but when they happen, we can't always count on a easy landing, so why gamble?

-Armadillo

Old November 4th, 2016, 08:04 PM   #6
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Default 187s rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post

Having a stiff plastic piece on only the palm side is OK for basic forward fall impacts, but for worse kinds of falls you need two hard shell plastic pieces sandwiched at back and front of the wrist and pulled tight toward each other.
Their length should allow them to come up above the wrist for a few inches onto the lower arm bones, to prevent hyperextension of the wrist and to spread the forces away from weaker wrist bones, onto the stronger adjacent lower arm bones.

-Armadillo
Armadillo has actually described the 187 wrist guard. Two pieces of hard plastic to protect top and bottom of wrist area and extending a few inches up the arm. The three way velcro attachment system keeps them tight, but allows quick removal. The price is tolerable too. Should be able to find them for about $25 or less. Still - acrobatic tumble during a fall will improve your chances of injury prevention.

Heal soon and Keep rollin

p.s. a link http://www.2n1skateshoppe.com/187-Ki...ds_p_1089.html
Old November 5th, 2016, 12:56 AM   #7
Derrick

Quote:
Absolutely sucks. Sorry to hear it.

I'm so lucky so far. My last injury I just hit my face. Guards definately saved both wrists. But that was a while ago.

I just get whatever is at the random sports store. They are always small so they may fit you pretty well. Can you imagine they expect kids to need them? Whatever?

I fall a lot if I'm messing around and I haven't had any issues with the standard set.

I threatened to make mine look like gauntlets and go all midevil at the rink.

The biggest problem with them is they get all sweaty and smelly. Worse than the skates.

So, I must admit lately I take them off if I'm not jumping to let them dry. That works really well for keeping them nice. Perhaps I should get two pair.

Anyway, real sorry you fell that hard.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2016, 04:23 AM   #8
Tuesday Girl

Thanks everyone for your recommendationd. One of my guy skate friends has Rollerblade Urban Gear guards. They are a longer sandwhich type too, but they may have been replaced with a newer style. Can't find them anywhere. He suggested I make sure to get longer ones as well. So, the 187's are long up the forearm?

Yeah, I don't even know what happened, except all of a sudden I remember thinking "Omg! Both feet are high out from under me...I'm going straight down on my butt." I never learned to tuck and roll, but with jam skating, feet going out from under you doesn't fascilitate a roll! I must have set my left hand down first behind me, and bruised my right palm, and right butt cheek, but no tailbone at least! I sat there feeling like I was gonna throw up. Got a drink of water and immediately iced my wrist. It didn't swell for a couple hours so I just thought it was a bad sprain. A friend loaned me one wrist guard for protection and I continued to skate another hour and a half...icing it during the crappy songs. �� Finially with 15 minutes left of the session I figured I was nuts and should go home! It hurt to touch my fingertips! Anyway, it's an impacted radial fracture. Not a terrible break. I go back on Tuesday to see what the dr. will say. It stinks ! But at least I was doing something fun when I broke it!
Old November 6th, 2016, 02:37 PM   #9
Armadillo

Your break scenario sounds familiar. The falling rearward are the ones that are toughest to protect the wrist on, from the reaching back causing us to turn our arms away from optimum orientation for landing the wrist guard direct on the hard shell.

My 1st wrist break happened 1/3 of the way into a 1/2 marathon outdoor race, and like you, I thought it wasn't that bad and proceeded to finish the race, just beating my 20 year younger than me friend, with whom I had a $20 bet. It soon became obvious it was more than a bone bruise when most of my arm turned purple.

It is good to do some mock falling practice to train yourself to flex your hand & fingers flex up & away from the floor to ensure that the plastic handles 100% of the floor contact.

Also, the sandwich design only works best to the extent that the velcro straps remain snugly tightened.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; November 6th, 2016 at 09:11 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2016, 02:41 PM   #10
jotson

I have also read good things about Smith Safety guards, and that could lead to another whole fashion path.

They have various colors and leopard prints.

Smith Safety guards at Amazon

BTW - a jamskating rear fall is exactly what started me on the wrist guards.
Old November 6th, 2016, 10:55 PM   #11
ursle
Street Skater

Don't under any circumstances try to roll, the skates are anchors, just spread out and absorbe.
Your fall was one in a million, wrist braces are good, the least hot they are the better, a plastic sucker for the palm is good, but only if you fall often, remember, spread out and absorbe, fingerless lightweight gloves will save adhesion, don't practice falling in skates, just skate.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 02:31 AM   #12
GraySk8ter
74 (not dead yet)

Default Smith Safety Guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotson View Post
I have also read good things about Smith Safety guards, and that could lead to another whole fashion path.

They have various colors and leopard prints.

Smith Safety guards at Amazon

BTW - a jamskating rear fall is exactly what started me on the wrist guards.
They appear to be almost exactly the same construction as the 187s. But I don't have anything to wear to compliment the leopard patterns. The color options are nice though. Tuesday Girl probably would be served well by either choice.

BTW TG: glad to hear you may mend quickly. The longest hundreths of a second were spent when my skates were elevated above my head

Keep rollin
Old November 8th, 2016, 12:47 AM   #13
jotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraySk8ter View Post
The longest hundreths of a second were spent when my skates were elevated above my head
That's funny, and yet bone-chilling at the same time - well said GraySk8ter!
Old November 8th, 2016, 03:56 AM   #14
larryoracing

Smile Sorry to hear about your break!

Recently I have been bombarded by requests from my roller skating pros to do things I have never done before in my life.

Jackie, a WC freestyle competitor and now my freestyle coach (jumps and spins) asked me to start wearing wrist guards.

So, I went to the grocery store, Ralphs in California and purchased a pair of Copper Fit wrist guards. They are non evasive and provide an alternative to the rather bulky and heavy duty wrist guards that I see many of the women wearing during our morning Koffee Klutch, morning roller skating sessions.

I have also purchased Copper fit, knee socks and angle socks.

Not that it matters, but I have also embarked in a heavy duty vitamin program to increase strength in bones and relieve muscle soreness.

I have also continued jumping off skates to reduce the fall on skates.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani and good luck. I'm 61 years old and entered my first competition in 40 years last sunday. It was fun and I got beat by a lady..lol!
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 10:03 PM   #15
Trixton

I like the 187 wrist guards, but I prefer the ones that have the flat plastic on the palm. Most comfortable wrist guards, very non-invasive. Like these...

http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-wug401...0.1280.jpg?c=2
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2016, 04:29 AM   #16
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
Recently I have been bombarded by requests from my roller skating pros to do things I have never done before in my life.

Jackie, a WC freestyle competitor and now my freestyle coach (jumps and spins) asked me to start wearing wrist guards.

So, I went to the grocery store, Ralphs in California and purchased a pair of Copper Fit wrist guards. They are non evasive and provide an alternative to the rather bulky and heavy duty wrist guards that I see many of the women wearing during our morning Koffee Klutch, morning roller skating sessions.

I have also purchased Copper fit, knee socks and angle socks.

Not that it matters, but I have also embarked in a heavy duty vitamin program to increase strength in bones and relieve muscle soreness.

I have also continued jumping off skates to reduce the fall on skates.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani and good luck. I'm 61 years old and entered my first competition in 40 years last sunday. It was fun and I got beat by a lady..lol!
For bone strength vitamins (like D) are good, but the mineral magnesium is the most single important nutrient. Roughly 80% of Americans are magnesium deficient and despite most of us consuming excess calcium well beyond what we really need, without magnesium, our bodies cannot properly regulate the deposition of calcium into building strong bones.

Magnesium OXIDE is barely absorbable.

These supplements are better absorbed
Magnesium Citrate
Magnesium Glycinate
Magnesium Malate
Magnesium Gluconate
Magnesium Taurate
Magnesium Aspartate
Magnesium Alginate

Most absorbed form → Magnesium Orotate

Take 400 mg or more daily (the minimum recommended is absurdly low)

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; November 12th, 2016 at 10:55 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 04:07 AM   #17
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default My Wrist Brake Story / RollerBlade

Hi Tuesday,

Hey I am lucky and you posted. I am no longer an avid regular since I have to much to do, like lots of grass cutting and leaf pick up and deck work and other inside work, plus skating.

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your recommendationd. One of my guy skate friends has Rollerblade Urban Gear guards. o-o-0

Yeah, I don't even know what happened, except all of a sudden I remember thinking "Omg! Both feet are high out from under me...I'm going straight down on my butt." I never learned to tuck and roll, o-o-o It stinks ! But at least I was doing something fun when I broke it!
There were only two other people on the skate floor when I broke my wrist. Both were the owners of the rink business. I was just going around the corner so so gently skating sideways and I had a small fall. Caught myself on my hand and broke the wrist on a Saturday night. It was such a small fall I thought it was just a sprain till overnight and Sunday morning. I chattered the big bone as it comes into the wrist.

I have several pairs of older RollerBlade wrist guards that Arm has and have been described above as two hard pieces of plastic. If it were me I would look on line or play it again sports and see if you can find some decent older strong looking wrist guards.

I have actually over the years since maybe 2000 been saved several times by these wrist guards.

As long as we are at protecting Miss Skate Minnesota how about some other protections and some bruise cream for your skate bag. Two places I deal with more regularly recently are my knees and my elbows. (Treating a right knee now). Now I don't want to use those big gunky pads yet I have been thinking about what to add for under garments. For me this all comes from that once in awhile chip on the floor or a wet spot I just hit right while doing something fancy in skating.

Good Luck with the Doc, and Good Luck with Showers.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
P.S. A skater told me that his mom broke both her wrists while doing Art Skating and he had to help her in the bathroom. Ouch and WE are so so lucky.
Old November 12th, 2016, 08:17 PM   #18
Tuesday Girl

The doctor ended up putting a cast on my left Wrist/arm. I guess it's a good idea in the long runů As I'm supposed to go on a ski weekend the second week of December! And then getting the cast off two days after the weekend. I still have not gone back to skating as I still have not found any wrist guards. The 187's don't look long enough.

Also, you can bet I will be sewing fancy covers to go over my wrist guards! I've already picked up an elastic black sequined tube top at the Goodwill that I will be making wrist guard covers out of! And another one that has black sequins and black ruffles on the end. I make skate boot covers for myself so now I will be making wrist guard covers in every color! Ha ha.

My friend also suggested I check out some play it again sports type stores for older wrist guards. It's funny they change designs and models when the older ones could possibly be better. I have not done that yet but will soon.

I saw a YouTube review on the 187's. They look to be too short to me, thinking I should have something higher up the fore arm.
Old November 12th, 2016, 10:49 PM   #19
Armadillo

Quote:
The doctor ended up putting a cast on my left Wrist/arm. I guess it's a good idea in the long runů As I'm supposed to go on a ski weekend the second week of December! And then getting the cast off two days after the weekend. I still have not gone back to skating as I still have not found any wrist guards. The 187's don't look long enough.

Also, you can bet I will be sewing fancy covers to go over my wrist guards! I've already picked up an elastic black sequined tube top at the Goodwill that I will be making wrist guard covers out of! And another one that has black sequins and black ruffles on the end. I make skate boot covers for myself so now I will be making wrist guard covers in every color! Ha ha.

My friend also suggested I check out some play it again sports type stores for older wrist guards. It's funny they change designs and models when the older ones could possibly be better. I have not done that yet but will soon.

I saw a YouTube review on the 187's. They look to be too short to me, thinking I should have something higher up the fore arm.
Yes, I agree that a little extra length going up the forearm goes a long way toward handling even the worst falls w/o injury.

Also having a 3rd cinch strap is important as well, especially when the overall length of the wrist guard increases.

Post a PIC of what you end up finding, and good hunting!

-Armadillo
Old November 20th, 2016, 01:20 AM   #20
Tuesday Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post

Post a PIC of what you end up finding, and good hunting!

-Armadillo
I ended up ordering the Flexmeter wrist guards by Demon. They are pretty expensive but I had a hard time finding ones that came up the arm far enough. There are a few reviews on these (some from snow boarders) and people seem to think these are great. They were designed by a French wrist surgeon. I am still in a cast and haven't skated yet, but hope to return in a couple more weeks.

https://youtu.be/hxDX2DFzsTA