S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old December 29th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #1
Ben K

Default Commuting/Slalom Skates

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum, been skating for 5 years.
Was really into slalom for the first 2 years but it devolved into occasional slalom and everyday commuting.

I used a $80 hard boot twister clone, the brand is "freestyle". It's cheap and sturdy but not comfortable. Still fully functional but I suddenly feel the need for a change of skates.

New skates would be for commuting and occasional slalom, but ideally smaller and less cumbersome to carry about.

So I ordered a Bont alpha boot and some seba frames with rockered 76,80,80,76 wheels. Got the idea from this reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/rollerbladi...ef_source=link

I'm betting it will take some time to reach due to this festive period, but I will update with pics in this thread when they get here.
Ben K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Interesting. Can't wait to see the new skates!

I can do about 25 miles with comfort on my Powerslide Hardcore EVO 2.0 slalom skates with wheels not rockered before I need to do some adjusting because my feet get tired and I usually start feeling a pressure point between 25 and 30 miles.

If I set out to do 50 miles on them I prep my feet and ankles differently than 25 or under. I use different socks and some gel ankle pads.

Commuting 6 miles each way is no problem for me.
Old December 29th, 2015, 04:55 PM   #3
Ben K

I skate only 8km a day to get to work.
Rockered setup because I'm used to it, but I think it suits city commuting; sharp bends, bumpy roads.

I get abit sore at times in a hardboot. Worried that the Bont alphas lack of ankle support will throw me off.
Old December 29th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #4
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben K View Post
I skate only 8km a day to get to work.
Rockered setup because I'm used to it, but I think it suits city commuting; sharp bends, bumpy roads.

I get abit sore at times in a hardboot. Worried that the Bont alphas lack of ankle support will throw me off.
You will get used to it quickly.

I leave the cuffs on my EVOs fairly loose for recreational or commute skating. They feel very nearly like my hockey boots which are also fairly loose up top for better maneuverability. The EVOs are set up 80-76-76-80 (not rockered) for commuting and are plenty maneuverable in traffic and much faster than rockered. If I were dealing with a lot of curbs up and down or busy sidewalks full of pedestrians, perhaps rockering them would be better. I am using bike paths and bike lanes mostly, then Downtown it becomes filtering through auto traffic stuck at red lights.
Old December 29th, 2015, 10:48 PM   #5
Ben K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
You will get used to it quickly.

I leave the cuffs on my EVOs fairly loose for recreational or commute skating. They feel very nearly like my hockey boots which are also fairly loose up top for better maneuverability. The EVOs are set up 80-76-76-80 (not rockered) for commuting and are plenty maneuverable in traffic and much faster than rockered. If I were dealing with a lot of curbs up and down or busy sidewalks full of pedestrians, perhaps rockering them would be better. I am using bike paths and bike lanes mostly, then Downtown it becomes filtering through auto traffic stuck at red lights.
I might have to give that a try one day, didn't know anti-rockered was faster than rockered. Why not just a flat setup though?
Old December 30th, 2015, 03:48 PM   #6
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
I might have to give that a try one day, didn't know anti-rockered was faster than rockered. Why not just a flat setup though?
My bad. When my skates are setup with the 80mm front and rear and the 76mm in the middle, the wheels are all the same level. As in NOT rockered. This is because my frames are setup this way - the axle holes are not on a line.

If I want to rocker my wheels, I put the 80mm in the middle and the 76mm front and rear.

For fitness, distance, and commuting i do not rocker my wheels. All four are touching the road.
Old January 14th, 2016, 12:42 PM   #7
Ben K

Horror of horrors!!

My boots arrived before the frame and wheels

And...

I ordered bont alphas but received bont semi-races!
I'm incredibly happy about this mix up
Well except that I bought blue frames and blue wheels to match a blue bont alpha but am now stuck with black semi races.

Guys. Does one mold their boot immediately? It already fits well and feels good.
Old January 14th, 2016, 06:48 PM   #8
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Horror of horrors!!

My boots arrived before the frame and wheels

And...

I ordered bont alphas but received bont semi-races!
I'm incredibly happy about this mix up
Well except that I bought blue frames and blue wheels to match a blue bont alpha but am now stuck with black semi races.

Guys. Does one mold their boot immediately? It already fits well and feels good.
I skate any new skate before molding them because any problem spots can be addressed specifically. Maybe there won't even be any problems other than gaining a callous here and there.

BTW...PHOTOS of the new stuff!!!
Old January 14th, 2016, 10:53 PM   #9
Ben K

Will post more pics when the frames come!
Old January 16th, 2016, 02:07 AM   #10
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Will post more pics when the frames come!
Were dying over here! Not in YET? You must be pacing the floor waiting for delivery every day.
Old January 16th, 2016, 04:48 AM   #11
Ben K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Were dying over here! Not in YET? You must be pacing the floor waiting for delivery every day.
I AM!

This is the price I pay for ordering from different places to lower the cost...

Meanwhile, I'm building up the courage to heat mould the boots, do I oven or hair dryer them?
I'm thinking hair dryer has the greatest chance of uneven moulding...
Old January 20th, 2016, 08:27 PM   #12
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
I AM!

This is the price I pay for ordering from different places to lower the cost...

Meanwhile, I'm building up the courage to heat mould the boots, do I oven or hair dryer them?
I'm thinking hair dryer has the greatest chance of uneven moulding...
Follow the manufacturers instructions! Some materials mold at a low heat, some (like my Powerslide Hardcore EVO2) take an incredible amount of heat and time in the oven to become pliable. A hair dryer will do nada on the high temp materials.

High temp materials help to prevent inadvertent heat molding in the trunk of your car on a hot day. Low temp materials should not be kept in any hot car, attic, shed, etc. Also the high temp models can be molded a hundred times if need be. The low temp materials are kinda one-and-done.

I usually wear my skates a few times before molding them and take note what part of my feet get destroyed. Then I concentrate on those points during the molding process. Sticking a round felt "furniture leg pad" on an ankle bone will help push that area out better than your skin and bone.

Also note that some boots require you to have the frames affixed during the heating process otherwise the attachment points under the boots may loose their alignment with each other resulting in frames that do not fit flush against front and rear mounts.
Old January 25th, 2016, 01:20 PM   #13
Ben K

IT'S HERE! HAVEN'T TRIED IT OUT YET, BUT IT LOOKS AWESOME

See the blue frame, meant to be paired with a blue bont alpha -.-
Old January 25th, 2016, 02:08 PM   #14
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Saweeeet! Thanks for the fix! Let us know how they skate when you get them rolling.
Old January 30th, 2016, 08:09 AM   #15
Ben K

These boots were really hard to get used to, my ankle overflexes and I couldn't do the simplest cross tricks.
And apparently my old hardboots had the wheels too far backwards, the first time I stood in the bonts, I fell backwards. HARD.

Unlearning so many years of wrong balance due to nonstandard frames and over-dependence on hardboots for ankle support is not easy. I'm still in the phase of relearning how to balance right with them.

Also I thought they fit well, but with long skate sessions, there's this small little spot on the right boot that gives me nasty bruises on my ankle.

Going to heat mould them soon.
Old January 31st, 2016, 10:38 PM   #16
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

It took me months to get my new Powerslide Hardcore EVOs perfect. A combination of placing the frames perfectly under the boots, two sessions of heat molding, creative padding here and there, and gaining some calluses in the right places.

Got the skates in August, spent 6 weeks tweaking them, then 6 weeks letting all of the injuries to my ankles recover completely, then some extra padding here and there. Now I can skate all day in them. 35 miles is my longest day so far but I am sure I can do 50 miles.

If you have lots of struggles I will try to post some common solutions here. Keep us posted, ESPECIALLY if you are hurt so badly you can't skate!