S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old January 8th, 2017, 02:21 PM   #1
Traffic Dancer

Default noob questions about trucks

Ok, this has probably been addressed millions of times but....I was thinking that my wheels were too wide on my skates but now I'm wondering if it's the axles of my trucks that are too long?

Put another way, I should be able to swap out the trucks that came on my Crazy Skates for shorter ones, right? The one thing I was learning on Friday night is that I kept banging my inner wheels together when I'd try new tricks.

Thanks in advance!
Traffic Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 03:01 PM   #2
Rollmazicon

Crazy skates (Venus, at least) come with a different axle width for each size plate. So if you have long plates, you'll have some wide axles to match.
Rollmazicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 10:36 PM   #3
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmazicon View Post
Crazy skates (Venus, at least) come with a different axle width for each size plate. So if you have long plates, you'll have some wide axles to match.

Interesting... Although I have not played with any Crazy skates lately, I have an Apollo and a Venus in the shop, different sizes obviously.. Same trucks on both. ~1.75" housing width, ~4.25" axle width. I also have a spare set of trucks. Same size. No where in the ordering info is any choice other than color offered for the trucks. Granted my sales info is couple of years old, so I have a call in to Crazy to make sure.
Old January 8th, 2017, 10:44 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Wink It's called practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traffic Dancer View Post
Ok, this has probably been addressed millions of times but....I was thinking that my wheels were too wide on my skates but now I'm wondering if it's the axles of my trucks that are too long?

Well, whatever it is, the problem is solved by being aware of where your feet are. I run everything from 35 to 42~43mm width wheels. Yeah I clip the wider ones once in a while when I get sloppy.

Put another way, I should be able to swap out the trucks that came on my Crazy Skates for shorter ones, right?

Narrower?? Very few brands of quad sk8s have interchangeable trucks. Sure Grip does have some "skateboard" width trucks (Quad Lines) but all of the "standard" original SB brand trucks are essentially the same width. As far as I know Crazy makes a lot of different color trucks but all the ones in the shop @ the moment are the same dimensionally.

The one thing I was learning on Friday night is that I kept banging my inner wheels together when I'd try new tricks.

Thanks in advance!
Yepper, practice will solve this @ no cost...other than time and effort.
Old January 8th, 2017, 11:23 PM   #5
Traffic Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Yepper, practice will solve this @ no cost...other than time and effort.
Yeah, I plan to do as much! Seriously wondering how I haven't skated indoors before Friday....seriously, it was glorious just gliding along.
Old January 9th, 2017, 02:22 AM   #6
Derrick

Quote:

Put another way, I should be able to swap out the trucks that came on my Crazy Skates for shorter ones, right? The one thing I was learning on Friday night is that I kept banging my inner wheels together when I'd try new tricks.

Thanks in advance!
What tricks are you learning?

If I line up my back and axels , I have about an inch and a half between the boots. It's an art set up. So that's just for reference. My speed setup has wheels that stick out further.
Old January 9th, 2017, 09:40 AM   #7
Rollmazicon

Quote:

Interesting... Although I have not played with any Crazy skates lately, I have an Apollo and a Venus in the shop, different sizes obviously.. Same trucks on both. ~1.75" housing width, ~4.25" axle width. I also have a spare set of trucks. Same size. No where in the ordering info is any choice other than color offered for the trucks. Granted my sales info is couple of years old, so I have a call in to Crazy to make sure.
You know what, I probably misread a plate:wheelbase length chart when I was first shopping for plates and misinterpreted it. Now that I'm looking back, that seems much more likely :/

OP, what wheels are you using?
Rollmazicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 11:12 AM   #8
Traffic Dancer

Quote:
You know what, I probably misread a plate:wheelbase length chart when I was first shopping for plates and misinterpreted it. Now that I'm looking back, that seems much more likely :/

I'm using the Quake wheels that came with the skates (59x36, 92a).

To answer Derrick's question, I think my quad skating is still embryonic enough that perhaps using the term 'tricks' is a misnomer....these are my first quad skates so I'm simply learning how to move around, transition smoothly from skating forward to backward and back and such. I was watching the footwork of more experienced skaters at the rink and found myself trying to emulate some of their moves, which is where my inner wheels were bonking together.
Old January 9th, 2017, 03:19 PM   #9
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:

No sweat. I just had a phone call from Crazy. Amy confirmed that ALL the trucks are the same physical size..

In other Crazy news, they finally figured out having the Apollo and Venus plates with no common sizes between them was not real smart. Soon they will be interchangeable with matching mount holes a wheelbases...
Old January 9th, 2017, 03:48 PM   #10
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
In other Crazy news, they finally figured out having the Apollo and Venus plates with no common sizes between them was not real smart. Soon they will be interchangeable with matching mount holes a wheelbases...
How about more reasonable jumps between sizes? Any motion on that?
Old January 10th, 2017, 04:19 PM   #11
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Red face Didn't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
How about more reasonable jumps between sizes? Any motion on that?
Some how I thought this was a miracle in and of itself....
Old January 11th, 2017, 01:44 AM   #12
Gee

Quote:
I was watching the footwork of more experienced skaters at the rink and found myself trying to emulate some of their moves, which is where my inner wheels were bonking together.
There is a big difference between artistic and speed wheels for me. With my art skates, I can rub the side of my boots against each other. With my speed skates, there is about 1 3/4" separation between the boots due to the width of the wheels. I do bump the inside wheels when I forget I am on my speed skates.

Also, the 1 1/2" heel on my artistic boot and 3/8' heel on my speed skate makes a difference. The axles are 6 1/4" apart on my artistic skate and 7 1/8" apart on my speed skate. My artistic skates are intended for me to skate on my heel while my speed skate are intended for me to press toward the ball of the foot. Body alignment will be slightly different depending on whether artistic or speed skates are used.
Old January 11th, 2017, 07:18 AM   #13
Traffic Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
There is a big difference between artistic and speed wheels for me. With my art skates, I can rub the side of my boots against each other. With my speed skates, there is about 1 3/4" separation between the boots due to the width of the wheels. I do bump the inside wheels when I forget I am on my speed skates.

Also, the 1 1/2" heel on my artistic boot and 3/8' heel on my speed skate makes a difference. The axles are 6 1/4" apart on my artistic skate and 7 1/8" apart on my speed skate. My artistic skates are intended for me to skate on my heel while my speed skate are intended for me to press toward the ball of the foot. Body alignment will be slightly different depending on whether artistic or speed skates are used.
....so....I need another pair of skates?
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:25 AM   #14
cass38a

If you have come off inline skates it will take a while to get used to this. Give it a month and you will forget it was even a problem.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 11:28 AM   #15
Traffic Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
If you have come off inline skates it will take a while to get used to this. Give it a month and you will forget it was even a problem.
Primarily I am an inline skater. I'll keep hammering on the quads indoors this winter.
Old January 11th, 2017, 05:53 PM   #16
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Some how I thought this was a miracle in and of itself....
Yeah, what was I thinking.
Old January 11th, 2017, 09:51 PM   #17
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
....so....I need another pair of skates?
Not only no, but hell no. I used to see my daughters old speed coach throw doubles and triples on his 595 / Boen speed sk8s. Several of my "speed sk8s" have "art" plates on the bottom.

So you do not "need"... Want is another matter.
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:13 PM   #18
Traffic Dancer

Quote:
Not only no, but hell no. I used to see my daughters old speed coach throw doubles and triples on his 595 / Boen speed sk8s. Several of my "speed sk8s" have "art" plates on the bottom.

So you do not "need"... Want is another matter.
But...but...I thought Want and Need meant the same thing when it came to hobbies?
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:27 PM   #19
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Default You have homework to do

Quote:
But...but...I thought Want and Need meant the same thing when it came to hobbies?
http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=15701
Old January 22nd, 2017, 07:30 PM   #20
Gee

Quote:
For me, the need is driven by how I want to skate. The want has nothing to do with my skating.